THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Wallace?

Nw220

I was listening to Sirius Nfl Radio and heard alot of Steeler fans calling in with Regards to Wallace, seemingly they think they are going to franchise him and may not be able to sign him to a long term deal...

So my question is would you be willing to trade the 22nd overall pick to the Steelers to acquire Wallace from them? Dont forget that we would also have to give him a new contract worth a pretty decent amount...

The one reason i would consider this is because your not only gaining a pretty good reciever but your hurting a team in your divison at the same time not to mention it is the Steelers....

Thoughts????

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, too much Steeler stink on him for me to agree to him. Matter of fact I wouldn't touch ANY of those "tainted" players... Just rubs me the wrong way, YUUUCK!

The Steelers would never trade a weapon like Wallace to a divisional foe who they see at least twice a year. Id love to have him but the only way we'd be able to get him is in free agency.

Depends on which franchise tag they put on him

There's two types of franchise tags.

Exclusive: Player cannot negotiate with other teams and his salary is the greater of 1) 120% of previous year's salary or 2) average salary of the top 5 players playing the same position from the current year.

Non-exclusive: Salary terms are the same except it's the average of the top 5 players from the previous year. Player can negotiate with other teams but current team reserves the right to match the offer.

Im pretty sure he falls into the second category

Depends on which franchise tag they put on him

There's two types of franchise tags.

Exclusive: Player cannot negotiate with other teams and his salary is the greater of 1) 120% of previous year's salary or 2) average salary of the top 5 players playing the same position from the current year.

Non-exclusive: Salary terms are the same except it's the average of the top 5 players from the previous year. Player can negotiate with other teams but current team reserves the right to match the offer.

Im pretty sure he falls into the second category

I figure they would give him the exclusive tag. There's no point in risking him leaving. Now if they did go the non-exclusive route I have a hard time seeing them not matching any offer a divisional foe makes. I know the Steelers salary cap is pretty tight but Wallace is/has to be their top priority this offseason. Don't get me wrong I'd love for the Browns to have him but I don't thing we have a realistic shot at him.

I figure they would give him the exclusive tag. There's no point in risking him leaving. Now if they did go the non-exclusive route I have a hard time seeing them not matching any offer a divisional foe makes. I know the Steelers salary cap is pretty tight but Wallace is/has to be their top priority this offseason. Don't get me wrong I'd love for the Browns to have him but I don't thing we have a realistic shot at him.

The Steelers are already going to have to dump salary, and the franchise tag for a WR is $9 million- they may not be able to afford him. Stay tuned. As to the Steelers making a trade with the Browns- no way in hell.

bingo hoorta.

currently, the steelers need to trim about 10mil to get under the cap, another 5 mil to sign their rookies. they've already trimmed about 15mil by cuts/restructures, and will likely have a few more restructures to go thru, ben, big snack, farrior....

so, just to franchise wallace, they'd have to trim another 25 mil. possible, but its not gonna be easy.

i'd take wallace or brown.

There is no need for a franchise or transition tag on Mike Wallace as he is a restricted free agent. It is likely that Wallace will be offered the highest type of 1 year tender by the Steelers to protect him, thereby securing a first round draft choice should they allow another team to sign him. The rules say the team must forfiet "their" first round draft pick, which I believe means your #4 pick as your #22 pick is Atlanta's.

Basically, the Browns have so much cap room they can offer a ridiculous amount to obtain Wallace. Wallace is better (or should I say a known commodity as opposed to) Blackmon. Really it would be a win-win situation for the Browns to pursue Wallace. You either financially handicap your hated divisional foe or you land a great reciever. Hopefully, your front office takes it's current tact and stays out of free/restricted free agent markets.

There is no need for a franchise or transition tag on Mike Wallace as he is a restricted free agent. It is likely that Wallace will be offered the highest type of 1 year tender by the Steelers to protect him, thereby securing a first round draft choice should they allow another team to sign him. The rules say the team must forfiet "their" first round draft pick, which I believe means your #4 pick as your #22 pick is Atlanta's.

Yup... so the question becomes...

Is Wallace worth the #4 overall pick?

Yup... so the question becomes...

Is Wallace worth the #4 overall pick?

HELL NO... SMH

HELL NO... SMH

so a proven vet thats emerged as one of the better WRs in the league isn't worth a #4 overall, but you think a college RB is? :lol: pardon me while i laugh this off....

ok.....lol....ok....so then, that completely takes blackmon off the table in your eyes then, right?

No, I didn't say Blackmon isn't worth the #4 pick. I said I wouldn't take Blackmon at four for the simple fact that he and Greg Little are two similar type players. I would not like ANY player from Pittsburgh. When Stienbach came here from a division rival I was skeptical on him as well but he was relatively young and I don't carry the same amount of hatred for Cincy that I do with Pittsburgh. Kendall Wright is better IMO than Wallace because he is young and has similar traits... and doesn't come with "THE TAINT". B)

No, I didn't say Blackmon isn't worth the #4 pick. I said I wouldn't take Blackmon at four for the simple fact that he and Greg Little are two similar type players. I would not like ANY player from Pittsburgh. When Stienbach came here from a division rival I was skeptical on him as well but he was relatively young and I don't carry the same amount of hatred for Cincy that I do with Pittsburgh. Kendall Wright is better IMO than Wallace because he is young and has similar traits... and doesn't come with "THE TAINT". B)

sorry man...youre completely out to lunch.

Yeah IF we had Hines Ward setting illegal picks for him all game... ;)

I'm starting to worry about you... is that "TAINTED" Pittsburgh air getting to your head? :P

If Kendall Wright turns out to be as good as Wallace, that would be amazing for whoever gets him. I don't think that giving up the #4 for Wallace is worth it (I don't think drafting Blackmon at #4 is worth it either). But if the choice was the 22 for Wallace (vs. drafting Wright or Floyd or any other WR), I'd do that in a second.

I'm starting to worry about you... is that "TAINTED" Pittsburgh air getting to your head? :P

what gets to my head is being able to watch a real football team every week (which no, isn't the browns).

...but i think you're drinking from the lake a bit too much. to say that a rookie that hasn't even been drafted yet is as good as a 3 year vet in wallace is laughable at best, terribly delusional at worst. your hate for pittsburgh doesn't allow you to see the big picture. why does the former team of a player matter? because he kicked our ass every time we played? sounds like you need thicker skin.

There is always this. Assuming the Steelers don't sign Wallace to a long term contract before March 15th, and they offer him the maximum restricted free agent tender to perserve their interest in him. Wallace does not have to sign the contract immediately or at all. There is some date in June where it goes into effect if no other offers are made. During that time period, the Steelers will likely try to get him to sign, but his agent will probably try hold him back while working the phones.

So if you had to give up your #4 draft pick (as the rules posted on wiki imply) and not the Atlanta pick (as you would rather do), you could pursue him once the draft is over by giving up your 2013 draft pick (provided you don't trade it away during this year's draft). That draft choice will probably fall between 4 and 22, unless you make the playoffs in 2012.

There is always this. Assuming the Steelers don't sign Wallace to a long term contract before March 15th, and they offer him the maximum restricted free agent tender to perserve their interest in him. Wallace does not have to sign the contract immediately or at all. There is some date in June where it goes into effect if no other offers are made. During that time period, the Steelers will likely try to get him to sign, but his agent will probably try hold him back while working the phones.

So if you had to give up your #4 draft pick (as the rules posted on wiki imply) and not the Atlanta pick (as you would rather do), you could pursue him once the draft is over by giving up your 2013 draft pick (provided you don't trade it away during this year's draft). That draft choice will probably fall between 4 and 22, unless you make the playoffs in 2012.

Is this postive feedback from a Steeler fan, damn whats the world coming to....Great input

Beyond paying a ridiculous 9 mill a year for a speed receiver, if the Browns aren't for sure if they can get RGIII, why would they even consider a move like this?

So Colt can throw 40 yard flutter balls to him?

Flutter balls at his feet!

With Colt at QB why draft or even have a receiver on the team. He will throw it over their heads or at their feet. He has zero accuracy and should be removed from our team...dude sucks....

If Kendall Wright turns out to be as good as Wallace, that would be amazing for whoever gets him. I don't think that giving up the #4 for Wallace is worth it (I don't think drafting Blackmon at #4 is worth it either). But if the choice was the 22 for Wallace (vs. drafting Wright or Floyd or any other WR), I'd do that in a second.

I agree with the second half of your post, but I really don't understand how people can say Blackmon isn't worth a #4. I take Blackmon over RG3 in a second. RG3 has the athletic ability but I just don't see him as the next Cam Newton like many think. If he isn't than he isn't worth the #4 pick. Blackmon will be the next T.O. type and a HOF if he can stay healthy over his career. He is a about as close as you can get to a lock!

But I would still like to see Cleveland trade down up to 5 spots, and get this years 1st and 2nd round and next years 2st round from Washington in the opportunity presents itself. That way we get 4 quality starters this year if we pick right.

I agree with the second half of your post, but I really don't understand how people can say Blackmon isn't worth a #4. I take Blackmon over RG3 in a second. RG3 has the athletic ability but I just don't see him as the next Cam Newton like many think. If he isn't than he isn't worth the #4 pick. Blackmon will be the next T.O. type and a HOF if he can stay healthy over his career. He is a about as close as you can get to a lock!

But I would still like to see Cleveland trade down up to 5 spots, and get this years 1st and 2nd round and next years 2st round from Washington in the opportunity presents itself. That way we get 4 quality starters this year if we pick right.

From what I can tell, Blackmon is an extremely solid receiver, but he doesn't seem to be elite in any one way (speed, size, etc.). I think he is a very safe bet to be a good receiver, but I think that HOF projections are beyond premature.

How the hell can you put a rookie in the HOF? He hasn't even hit the combine and plenty have flaked out in the pros that excelled in college. If you ask me a WR had to be ridiculously elite to be drafted inside the top 5.

Archived