THE BROWNS BOARD

Merged Threads Gay Talk

I wonder what the numbers would be if a civil union were one of those options?

WSS

In NC? My guess is we wont know until they try. We have a strange mix of voters here. If you break it down there was about 20% plus of the democrats who voted in the primary who didn't vote for Obama and may be the same 20% plus who voted for the amendment.

Source for NC Results

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the risk of getting bashed for having my beliefs, I will respond. I respectfully submit to you and/or your sister that in the civil union, apart from the instituion of marriage, a contract can be drawn up and agreed to ( just like the rest of those who use pre-nup agreements) And you / they can live on in the freedoms afforded to you / them as the rest of us enjoy. So get a lawyer....

Remember, the vote was NOT banning the gays, it was FOR traditional marriage. Is that NOT ok? :unsure:

So you don't really have a reason, just a belief.

I'm still waiting for any to give a legitimate reason as for why gay marriage should be illegal.

Not I believe it should be

Not something about the states

Not a shot at Obama

I agree heck.

Obama's position is probably disingenuous and a purely political ruse.

Why should we expect different from anything he says???

Like you said, you don't have to explain politics to me.

But it pisses you off if I call him an empty suit.....

WSS

I just think it's funny and shows how blind you are to the actual man. An empty suit is someone who doesn't know anything, who might as well not even be there. If you're saying his stance on gay marriage is political, I'd agree. I'd also say it's probably the smarter course for him to take, at least for now. The publics views on homosexuality are changing so fast that he might have enough support to come out in favor some day soon. It'd also fire up his base. I don't think that's far off.

Also, the gay community and liberals know that this is the president who has done more for gay issues than any president in history, and that's not lost on them. He's repealed DADT. He's said he won't defend the Defense of Marriage Act. He's repealed the restrictions on the immigration ban against people with AIDS. He's changed the laws on gays giving blood. He's appointed lots of openly gay people in his administration.

"Empty suit" is just a D-grade attempt at a critique that means essentially nothing.

Here's more on the reasons why.

So you don't really have a reason, just a belief.

I'm still waiting for any to give a legitimate reason as for why gay marriage should be illegal.

Not I believe it should be

Not something about the states

Not a shot at Obama

This is really the crux of it, huh? And the reason these people will eventually lose. Because all their belief is standing on, when you strip all of their lousy arguments away, is "I don't like gay people." And this view is mostly generational. Younger Americans overwhelmingly find little to oppose when it comes to homosexuality.

In essence, the anti-gay animus will just die off.

A helpful history lesson here.

It's common knowledge that states have repealed laws against miscegenation, and even Texas has repealed laws against um gay sex between consenting adults.

One thing though. I don't think anybody has mentioned that marriage is not a right. I know everybody sez it is, but anything you have to ask the government permission to do is not a right.

That reminds me, don't we have to ask the government for permission to buy guns?

My head just exploded.

Classic.

Well, here's another history lesson: Texas didn't repeal it's laws criminalizing sodomy. The Supreme Court said they were unconstitutional and invalidated Texas laws criminalizing sodomy, as well as all of the other states that had laws criminalizing sodomy. Texas fought to keep those laws, all the way up the Supreme Court. That's why the case was called Lawrence vs. Texas.

And North Carolina didn't repeal its anti-miscegination law. It was struck down as unconstitutional in 1967 by the ruling in the Loving vs. Virginia case. 16 states states still had rules forbidding blacks and whites from getting married, including, yes, North Carolina.

Much like I suspect that some day the Court will rule that telling gay couples that they can't get married is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law.

Classic.

Well, here's another history lesson: Texas didn't repeal it's laws criminalizing sodomy. The Supreme Court said they were unconstitutional and invalidated Texas laws criminalizing sodomy, as well as all of the other states that had laws criminalizing sodomy. Texas fought to keep those laws, all the way up the Supreme Court. That's why the case was called Lawrence vs. Texas.

And North Carolina didn't repeal its anti-miscegination law. It was struck down as unconstitutional in 1967 by the ruling in the Loving vs. Virginia case. 16 states states still had rules forbidding blacks and whites from getting married, including, yes, North Carolina.

Much like I suspect that some day the Court will rule that telling gay couples that they can't get married is a violation of their constitutional right to equal protection under the law.

OK Brownie, I'll take your word for it. You are more invested in the gay community than I am and obviously have your finger on the pulse of hope and change.

But what about marriage being a right? Do you have any decisions by the Supremes on that?

That's a sideshow debate. Marriage is a civil institution, as well as a religious institution. Gays should have the same access to the civil institution as everyone else.

OK, you don't want to go there, where everybody is saying that marriage is a right. I'm good with that.

So tell us again why you don't favor gay marriage? Like Woody, I'm still waiting for a good argument from the other side on this one.

And it'd be nice if someone answered that guy Dave's question about his sister. We have some new voices in here. It'd be nice if we talked to the new kids. We already know what Cal and Bunker have to say, and it's really boring.

So tell us again why you don't favor gay marriage? Like Woody, I'm still waiting for a good argument from the other side on this one.

And it'd be nice if someone answered that guy Dave's question about his sister. We have some new voices in here. It'd be nice if we talked to the new kids. We already know what Cal and Bunker have to say, and it's really boring.

I never said that I'm against gay marriage. I said that marriage isn't a right, that statement was inclusive. Marriage isn't a right for anybody.

How would you have voted in North Carolina? That was the original question.

I'm an alcoholic, convicted felon, illegal alien housewife. When I left North Carolina the Sheriff of Wake county was after me. I don't vote in North Carolina.

But if you insist, I'll tell you one thing. Marriage is not a right until the Supremes say it is.

I'm an alcoholic, convicted felon, illegal alien housewife. When I left North Carolina the Sheriff of Wake county was after me. I don't vote in North Carolina.

But if you insist, I'll tell you one thing. Marriage is not a right until the Supremes say it is.

No, we didn't get an answer Woody. But it does begin to show you why the polls are shifting so fast - they don't have an answer.

The North Carolina law didn't ask you if marriage was a right. It asked you if you think gay marriage and civil unions should be illegal in the state of North Carolina.

Try again.

And are you really an illegal alien and convicted felon? What did you do?

No, we didn't get an answer Woody. But it does begin to show you why the polls are shifting so fast - they don't have an answer.

The North Carolina law didn't ask you if marriage was a right. It asked you if you think gay marriage and civil unions should be illegal in the state of North Carolina.

Try again.

And are you really an illegal alien and convicted felon? What did you do?

Brownie, I have one nerve left and you're stepping on it.

She killed a motha fucka that asked her one too many questions...

...word

but seriously I don't think we are ever gonna get an answer, lol

Funny, nobody questions that I'm an alcoholic ! Go figure...

She killed a motha fucka that asked her one too many questions...

...word

but seriously I don't think we are ever gonna get an answer, lol

I guess not. And neither is Dave.

I suppose it was just as we suspected - they're against it because at some level they don't like gay people. Full stop.

I guess not. And neither is Dave.

I suppose it was just as we suspected - they're against it because at some level they don't like gay people. Full stop.

so Brownie, how old were you when you had your first homosexual experience?

Was it voluntary or?

Why are religious people so concerned with gay marriage anyways, it's not like they are getting into heaven anyways, right?

Why does the school system teach that it is a normal behavior? If so how do we procreate?

Do little babies spawn from cloning homosexuals.

I would never send my kids to a public school today.

Why are religious people so concerned with gay marriage anyways, it's not like they are getting into heaven anyways, right?

I would imagine that since some people consider homosexuality to be immoral, then passing laws to make it more mainstream would be a bad thing.

If you really don't understand substitute the word homo sexuality with something that you personally feel is immoral.

WSS

I would imagine that since some people consider homosexuality to be immoral, then passing laws to make it more mainstream would be a bad thing.

If you really don't understand substitute the word homo sexuality with something that you personally feel is immoral.

WSS

Sure but their still going to hell, right, lol. What happened to the division of church and state?

Archived