THE BROWNS BOARD

Nyc Soda Pop Ban

>>What's disproportionate population growth again? I understand the aging part. We've known about the aging Baby Boomer problem for years. We've also known about the smaller population of younger workers needed to support the aging population. That's my generation. There aren't as many of us.>>

Socio-economic groups that, traditionally, haven't provided their 'fair share'. I.E, 'takers' rather than 'contributors'.

You talk about the smaller percentage of younger workers. I'm talking about segments with a higher rate of reproduction and a traditionally weak work ethic.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>John is walking a fine line right now>>

LOL

You're the quant guy, Woody.

Do whatever Factor Analysis you'd like; Do some regression analysis; try cross-tabs on correlations; sample some significance testing - maybe 95% level of confidence with +/- 5% accuracy.

Maybe change the labels and call them something else.

What does the objective analysis say about population trends, coupled with socio-economic level.

>>What's disproportionate population growth again? I understand the aging part. We've known about the aging Baby Boomer problem for years. We've also known about the smaller population of younger workers needed to support the aging population. That's my generation. There aren't as many of us.>>

Socio-economic groups that, traditionally, haven't provided their 'fair share'. I.E, 'takers' rather than 'contributors'.

You talk about the smaller percentage of younger workers. I'm talking about segments with a higher rate of reproduction and a traditionally weak work ethic.

Eesh.

Like I said, I don't think I'd frame it quite this way, John.

Go ahead and say it "because I'M an ENGINEER" (I imagine that in the most annoying voice possible)

No, because I don't want to be out in a field all day getting paid 70 cents.

I wouldn't want to if I had a minimum wage job at McDonald's.

>>Eesh. Like I said, I don't think I'd frame it quite this way, John.>>

For the second time..................frame it for me Heck.

Do you consider my description dead-on wrong? Do you find it distasteful? Do you find it troubling?

Don't simply say, "All of the Above".

As you might expect, I am really only interested in the,"Dead-on wrong" part.

I'm guessing you're referring to the Latino population, correct?

Not necessarily.

I suspect some findings upon a dive of the data.

You oftentimes like to distill findings from data. Why not now?

For the record, so-called 'white trash' can be among the socio-economic groups. Separately, if you'd like, then consolicated if that makes the findings more palatable.

>>Uh, no. Take that as a "I want to like you.">>

I'll take it.

For future reference, I sometimes spout things for which I have or believe I have the correct data and - other times - I just rant about what I believe to be the case, recognizing my perspective might be shaped by invalid premises.

If I am wrong, I actually like to know that I am wrong. Better yet, I like to know where and how.

Let's consider this sidebar dead.

I think its dishonest to what you were really going to say, but someone other than illegals should be doing it

Fuck Yeah my future job and even my current one are better than the jobs illegals do.

But so are 99% at least of every other job in the US.

The fact that I'm going to be an engineer has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with the fact I have any tangible skills whatsoever.

You can think I was going to say whatever you want, but I'm just letting you know you are dead wrong.

Fuck Yeah my future job and even my current one are better than the jobs illegals do.

But so are 99% at least of every other job in the US.

The fact that I'm going to be an engineer has nothing to do with it. It has more to do with the fact I have any tangible skills whatsoever.

You can think I was going to say whatever you want, but I'm just letting you know you are dead wrong.

Mexicans have skills. I've seen them do all manner of construction and carpentry and they do a fine Job. Sometimes even craftsmen, but they're taking that job from an American craftsman by working for 50 dollars a day instead of 100. That's a problem to me. I suspect you are so flippant about it because Mexican illegals are not competing for your job of accruing college debt. And you're right there's not many illegal Mexican engineers, but Steve is also right. The Indians and Chinese will be coming to undercut those jobs.

Mexicans have skills. I've seen them do all manner of construction and carpentry and they do a fine Job. Sometimes even craftsmen, but they're taking that job from an American craftsman by working for 50 dollars a day instead of 100. That's a problem to me. I suspect you are so flippant about it because Mexican illegals are not competing for your job of accruing college debt. And you're right there's not many illegal Mexican engineers, but Steve is also right. The Indians and Chinese will be coming to undercut those jobs.

That's true.

And while it may be a stereo type it seems to me mexicans are usually fairly friendly people.

And don't forget we are talking about probably 10 bucks an hour for vs 30 bucks an hour.

Anybody ever watch the plumber?

Did it seem like he did anything that would be unreasonable to expect to do yourself?

Up at the bay we have a lot of kids from eastern europe.

They get paid slightly over minimum wage and are amazed that you can work harder and make more money.

Many of the american teens who live with their parents drive cars their parents bought them and go to school on mom and dads tab are much more interested in getting off early to party.

I also understand how that could piss someone off.

I've been doing my job for a good many years but there is always some weekend warrior ready to come in to work for half what I get.

And to be honest?

If I were a union member and the club wasn't allowed to hire those kids I'd probably raise hell if someone wanted to change that.

WSS

I think this is the point that gets lost when people insist, "They do the jobs Americans aren't willing to do." That's often true, but as Cysko notes, it's not like Americans didn't do construction work, or wouldn't do construction work, and now that's primarily done by immigrant labor. Or, where I grew up, I went to school with kids whose parents were landscapers, and who hired lots of kids out of high school to do landscaping jobs. These are mostly done by illegal aliens now. The benefits of this are obviously lower construction and landscaping costs for consumers. The downside is that lots of people who used to do that work no longer can. They've been priced out.

Woody isn't going to have a hard time finding a job with an engineering degree from Michigan. He just isn't. What's worrisome for our economy (among the other 100 things) is that there are fewer and fewer jobs for people who don't have engineering degrees from Michigan. So much of these jobs can either be replaced by immigrant labor, or shipped overseas and done cheaper in China or Malaysia or India.

These are real problems.

>>The benefits of this are obviously lower construction and landscaping costs for consumers. The downside is that lots of people who used to do that work no longer can. They've been priced out.>>

But is it really cheaper, Heck.

You know what I mean - helping friends and neighbors - not to mention their kids during summer - employed has benefits that go beyond the explicit cost of a transaction.

I try to do the right thing but sometimes fall prey to 'hours of convenience', one-stop shopping, and saving a few pennies.

IMHO, consumers have a lot to do with this situation. It really bothers me when I see a family store, landscaping outfit, etc. go out of business. A lot of blood, sweat, tears and dreams went out the door.

Hidden costs are oftentimes hard to quantify and/or make impressionable.

>>The benefits of this are obviously lower construction and landscaping costs for consumers. The downside is that lots of people who used to do that work no longer can. They've been priced out.>>

But is it really cheaper, Heck.

You know what I mean - helping friends and neighbors - not to mention their kids during summer - employed has benefits that go beyond the explicit cost of a transaction.

I try to do the right thing but sometimes fall prey to 'hours of convenience', one-stop shopping, and saving a few pennies.

IMHO, consumers have a lot to do with this situation. It really bothers me when I see a family store, landscaping outfit, etc. go out of business. A lot of blood, sweat, tears and dreams went out the door.

Hidden costs are oftentimes hard to quantify and/or make impressionable.

Absolutely. That's what the discussion is. But certainly, it's cheaper for the consumer who builds the house. the labor costs are cheaper. The final bill is going to be smaller. That's a separate question from is your community/country better off because you saved money on construction costs by using illegal labor, and which is more important. And would we stop construction companies from hiring illegal labor anyway, or has that ship sailed?

This is what immigration reform should be about. Personally, I'd rather see Americans doing those jobs, or legal guest workers, and those companies punished for hiring outside a national system. The only smart way to control illegal immigration is by targeting the supply of jobs for them to do. Clearly there are jobs we need them to do. California's agricultural economy runs on these people, and these are jobs Americans won't do. They just won't. But is there a way to limit them to only those jobs and preserve the others, like construction, that Americans will do? I don't know. It'd be complicated for sure.

But as we've seen in the downturn, if the jobs aren't here they stop coming. We're at net zero immigration right now. All the nonsense about fences and border agents and drones and deportation is just political window dressing.

I think this is the point that gets lost when people insist, "They do the jobs Americans aren't willing to do." That's often true, but as Cysko notes, it's not like Americans didn't do construction work, or wouldn't do construction work, and now that's primarily done by immigrant labor. Or, where I grew up, I went to school with kids whose parents were landscapers, and who hired lots of kids out of high school to do landscaping jobs. These are mostly done by illegal aliens now. The benefits of this are obviously lower construction and landscaping costs for consumers. The downside is that lots of people who used to do that work no longer can. They've been priced out.

Woody isn't going to have a hard time finding a job with an engineering degree from Michigan. He just isn't. What's worrisome for our economy (among the other 100 things) is that there are fewer and fewer jobs for people who don't have engineering degrees from Michigan. So much of these jobs can either be replaced by immigrant labor, or shipped overseas and done cheaper in China or Malaysia or India.

These are real problems.

These are real problems and were in perfect agreement here. But what's the real solution?

Only one solution I can really see...complete deportation of illegals coupled with total economic reform, American isolationism, and a massive investment on renewable energy and oil independence.

Since that's the least likely thing in the world to happen, id venture to guess that we're pretty fucked and we're going to inevitably experience a fall-of-Rome sort of situation. Just switch your germanic barbarians for Mexicans and we're halfway there.

Archived