THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mingo played at DE almost 100% of the time. Jones played OLB nearly 50% of the time. We already have a 3-4 OLB pass-rush only type of guy in Sheard. We need a guy who can actually plan OLB and drop into coverage on TEs and RBs and rush the QB. Jones is the full package, Mingo is only a pass-rusher and will struggle at OLB in the NFL.

I agree, just stating what ive heard. Didnt see alot of LSU games but i did watch a few Georgia games and Id love to have Jones.

Although I'm extremely happy with the Josh Gordon pick, not having a second round pick could really hurt us. Here's a bio of what could be the steal of the second round.

David Amerson, CB, NCSU

6'3"- 194 lbs.

Clocked in the 4.4 range and has a 37 inch vertical. Plays long, was nationally heralded as a top 5 safety in high school. Very devoted to the game, and impressed scouts with his drive and hunger for getting better. Best fit is a press-man scheme, but has played a great deal in a zone scheme at NCSU. Great at reading a QB's eyes and undercutting short routes. Tends to be overagressive, but also is good at recognizing and recovering from double moves. Concerns about his fluidity being that he's a larger corner, but moves well for his size. He lacks elite level speed and may get beat by some burners in the NFL. He has exceptional ball skills, and fantastic instincts. Plays the ball like a WR, which leads to many interceptions on jump balls. He understands defensive concepts well and is rarely out of position. He tends to go for the big hit as opposed to the safe wrap up.

Honestly, this guy could play either safety or #2 corner for us and would seemingly be an immediate upgrade. Although, based on tape and from his scouting report, he has all the makings of a fantastic free safety. We need a ball-hawking FS to counteract the big hitting Ward who's somewhat of a liability in coverage.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have much in surplus to trade away for a second round pick. Our best chip would be Colt McCoy, as he is clearly not in the plans for the new regime. If we could package a deal to a team in need for QB, we might be able to take a shot at Amerson.

The Jags are in a QB dilemma. Gabbert clearly isn't the answer, and Henne is a question mark. Gus Bradley is going to completely revamp a defense that ranked 29th in defensive PPG and 30th in defensive YPG. Seeing as they face Arian Foster and Chris Johnson twice a year, I see them adding DT Star Lotulelei with the #2 pick. They'll either add a QB in the mid rounds or via FA. It's important to remember that the new OC in Jacksonville is Judd Fisch, who relies on ball-control and eliminating mistakes. He'll be looking for an accurate, safe QB to manage the game and make decisive throws. There's not too many of those QB's in the draft this year. This is where we come in.

We could offer them Colt McCoy and our 2013 4th round pick (#135) for their 2013 2nd round pick (#33) and a conditional pick. This would take nearly $700,000 off of our cap, and add a second round pick that we desperately need.

It's the last day of January, and this is my current Draft Big Board:

1. Jarvis Jones – OLB – UGA

2. Dee Milliner – CB – ALA

3. Damontre Moore – OLB – A&M

4. TRADE DOWN

Trade Down targets:

1. Barkevious Mingo – OLB – LSU

2. Bjoern Werner – OLB – FSU

3. Alec Ogletree – ILB – UGA

4. Kenny Vaccaro – S – UTX

5. Kevin Minter – ILB - LSU

6. Matt Elam – S – FLA

7. Desmond Trufant – CB - WASH

8. Johnathan Banks – CB – MSST

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1509004-2013-nfl-mock-draft-players-who-will-make-immediate-impact-at-next-level

So lets assume we add a #2 CB via FA, and this happens in the first 5 picks, what do we do?

First off, I don't know why we should assume that.....nevertheless, I would say if Moore, Millner and Jones are all gone many say we should go for Bjoern Werner...

or trading down to pick up more picks could happen and get Mingo or Montgomery or one of those....or even Chance Warmack.

Does anyone here think that Chudzinski would NOT be in favor of taking perhaps the best rated OG to come out in years?

First off, I don't know why we should assume that.....nevertheless, I would say if Moore, Millner and Jones are all gone many say we should go for Bjoern Werner...

or trading down to pick up more picks could happen and get Mingo or Montgomery or one of those....or even Chance Warmack.

Does anyone here think that Chudzinski would NOT be in favor of taking perhaps the best rated OG to come out in years?

I said assume for the sake of conversation. Although I really think we should and will target a CB in free agency since thats one of the deepest positions in FA. In that mock it went Smith, Werner, Jones, Joeckle, and Moore. I think the only two options at that point is a trade down or Warmack, I prefer trade down.

I would not be in favor of drafting Warmack #6 overall. Honestly, I would not be in favor of drafting an o-lineman in the first 3 rounds at this point. If we think we need to upgrade Lauvo and Pinkston THAT bad, then we can do it after the 3rd or in FA. Sure, our run blocking could improve, but our pass protection was great last year.

We need to use #6 on a big buy that can run, or a little guy that can hit!!

Trade down and grab Warmack... hopefully gain a second or third rounder in the process. Warmack is a truly elite prospect, probably the only one in the entire draft, and the Browns could trade down and grab him. The Browns really need to be talking with teams that could use a tackle or a QB, since Eric Fisher and Glennon have shot up boards, and the Cards may grab one of them with the 7th.

Trade down and grab Warmack... hopefully gain a second or third rounder in the process. Warmack is a truly elite prospect, probably the only one in the entire draft, and the Browns could trade down and grab him. The Browns really need to be talking with teams that could use a tackle or a QB, since Eric Fisher and Glennon have shot up boards, and the Cards may grab one of them with the 7th.

I agree on the tackles, I think the QB's took a hit at the senior bowl. Wilson, Smith and Barkley are probably the only ones that MAY go first round. I think alot of these QB needy teams will wait for the second if theyre targeting Glennon or Bray. I dont think any are first round worthy.

QBs always fly up boards when they have physical tools, like Glennon. Gabbert should have been a 2nd Rounder at most and he went 10th... I'll throw out some recent history....

2012: Brandon Weeden, 22nd Overall, considered an early 2nd Rounder, (You can argue Tannehill, as well, going at the 8th selection was a reach)

2011: Christian Ponder, 12th Overall, considered an early 2nd Rounder; Blaine Gabbert, 10th Overall, 2nd Rounder* (Big variation on Gabbert's projections, I saw Top 5 all the way to 3rd Rounder)

2010: Tim Tebow, 25th Overall, considered a 2nd/3rd rounder

I apologize for posting another reply instead of just adding an edit, but I'm on my tablet

Anyways, I know this does not mean much but watching this skills challenge Damontre Moore looks much more athletic than the rest of DLineman... He had decent change of direction and had a great long stride.

Another two guys who look on a different level than the competition are Cordarelle Patterson and Alec Ogletree

I apologize for posting another reply instead of just adding an edit, but I'm on my tablet

Anyways, I know this does not mean much but watching this skills challenge Damontre Moore looks much more athletic than the rest of DLineman... He had decent change of direction and had a great long stride.

Another two guys who look on a different level than the competition are Cordarelle Patterson and Alec Ogletree

Ogletree is a beast. He would certainly be a 1st round target via trade down IMO.

This is my first mock on here. I will assume the Browns will trade back and the only player I see anyone trading up for is Eric Fisher. So, I have the Browns trading back with San Diego at 11. I will also assume the Browns pick up San Diego's 2nd round pick in this trade.

Round 1(11) - Chance Warmack G Alabama

Round 2(45) - Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State

Round 3(68) - Brandon Jenkins OLB Florida State

Round 4(101) - Jon Bostic ILB Florida

Late Round Possibilities:

Jamie Collins OLB Southern Mississippi

Nikell Robey CB Southern California

Leon McFadden CB San Diego State

Post your own Mock, with or without explanations as to who you would like the Browns to draft:

With the new coach bringing in an attacking offense and most likely a 3-4 attacking defense, this is who I would like the Browns to target with each of their picks. (I'm including the 7th rounder that they will likely receive from the Eagles for the Sims trade)

Round 1, Pick 6:

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

- Jones may end up going 2nd or 5th overall to the Jaguars or the Lions. But I think ultimately he will end up being available at the 6th pick. Jones will immediately step in and play opposite of Jabaal Sheard at OLB. Sheard's primary duty will be to rush the passer, while Jones will play a jack-of-all-trades position. This could be a deadly combination on third down if Sheard can make the transition.

Round 3, Pick 6:

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn

- Wreh-Wilson has the size (6-0, 190) and the athleticism (4.45) of a quality starter. Hopefully the Browns resign and try Brown at FS. Wreh-Wilson could jump in opposite of Haden and allow Skrine to strictly play nickel, where he is decent (while horrible on an island).

Round 4, Pick 7:

J.C. Tretter, OG, Cornell

- A small school prospect who is rising up boards. He started as a Tight End and has put on over 65 lbs of mass, but in the NFL he will need to get stronger. He could start out as a great pulling technician to help the run game out, while providing good pass protection.

Round 5, Pick 6:

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

Williams has the size and experience to develop into a great blocking Tight End. He is underrated as a pass catcher, but this pick would essentially be for Double Tight sets with Cameron as the primary receiver and Williams as a blocking counterpart.

Round 6, Pick 7:

Rontez Miles, FS, California (PA)

- This guy looks the part with decent size and athleticism. He is a fearless, big hitter across the middle, but he will have to adjust to the athleticism in the NFL.

Round 7, Pick 4 (From Eagles):

Ryan Allen, P, Louisiana Tech

- I am sick of the sub par punting over the past couple of years. Hodges needs to go, and the Browns need to try to get either Allen or Quinn Sharp in the 7th. There looks to be three draftable Punters in this year's class, and the Jaguars proved that a rookie punter can step in and be a force in field position (the Jags just couldn't do anything else right)

Round 7, Pick 6

Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas

- Goodwin is a phenomenal athlete qualifying for the Olympics in the long jump (over 27 feet, which is amazing considering he is 5-9, and he ran a 10.24 100m dash). With Goodwin and Benjamin on special teams and using him sporadically in four or five wide sets, the Browns would truly be a vertical team.

Marquise Goodwin will be gone in round 3 after his performance at the Senior Bowl.. Would be nice though in round 7..

Joe Haden posted this on his instagram last night around 11:45 EST. I found it pretty interesting and strange coming from Joe.

Do you guys think he's trying to suggest something in the upcoming 2013 draft with this picture, and caption reading "SEC boys!"

Joe Haden posted this on his instagram last night around 11:45 EST. I found it pretty interesting and strange coming from Joe.

Do you guys think he's trying to suggest something in the upcoming 2013 draft with this picture, and caption reading "SEC boys!"

Yes.

Zombo

Hopefully the Browns trade down a little for a team looking to make a move for Fisher or a QB that falls... If they recoup a 3rd, I would love them to take Mathieu with that pick. He probably will not test well, and does not have the best size, but he is just a great playmaker. Mathieu would probably become the best nickel/inside CB after a few seasons.

Hopefully the Browns trade down a little for a team looking to make a move for Fisher or a QB that falls... If they recoup a 3rd, I would love them to take Mathieu with that pick. He probably will not test well, and does not have the best size, but he is just a great playmaker. Mathieu would probably become the best nickel/inside CB after a few seasons.

Mathieu was a great punt returner and a decent cover guy (in college). I just dont think his skills translate well to the pro game, Id rather get a bigger corner than a tiny one. The best defensive backfield in the NFL was Seattle, mostly because of their length.

I'll reserve judgement till he works out at the combine.

There have already been a few teams looking at him.. i think the redskins and jets and a couple others.

I would not hate if the Browns traded down no further then 15-20, to get an extra 2nd. With that second take a flyer on Tyler Wilson.

Tyler Wilson will not be there. I guarantee you that he goes first round, if not teams will be jockying to trade to the top of the second to take him during the night between

Maybe the Rams get antsy with Bradford or fall in love with someone early and we can trade back for their two first rounders. Then we could grab two of the following these guys: Chance Warmack, Xavier Rhodes, Dion Jordon/Sam Montgomery. Then we can hope that Joseph Fauria at TE is around in the third. My only other draft opinion is that we should stay away from Jones in the first because spinal stenosis is a serious condition and a threat to his career.

Why would the Rams get "antsy" with Bradford? he's put up similar stats to Flacco, Eli, Brees, Brady and etc did early in their careers. Shoot he put up close to Eli, Flacco numbers this year. He probably won't ever be Brady/Manning/Rogers but he's a damn good young QB.

2012 numbers Com% yards TD INT rating

Joe Flacco 60 3,817 22 10 87

Sam Bradford 60 3,702 22 13 83

and that was without one of the best rb's in the league and with a receiving corps that isn't even in the same universe.

I mean come on they passed on RGIII last year because of their faith in Bradford. He goes out and has a very solid year but now they are going to trade two firsts to get QB's who probably shouldn't even be top ten picks, aren't half the prospect RGIII was and not even that close to as good a prospect as Bradford was.

Listen we'd all love to have someone hand us two firsts but there's a reason how I've seen fans from nearly every top ten team trying to mock the Rams trading their two firsts to their teams. The top talent in this draft just doesn't stack up. It just sucks for us, and them, that the Rams needs lie at WR, G/C, OLB and safety. All positions they can easily fill at 16 and 22.

Rams are a possibility to trade up ahead of Arizona to grab Fisher/Joeckel (If Fisher goes ahead of him). If the Rams resign Amendola, they won't have an immediate need for a WR (they did draft Quick and Givens early last year, with Givens producing as a deep threat)

I fully expect the Rams to trade into the Top 10, hopefully it is with us. Looking at a value chart the Browns would probably have to swap picks in the third and give up a fifth... It depends on how much the Rams will be willing to give up while trading up. But I'd be fine with losing a few spots in the third and a mid rounder to get two firsts.

My new dream mock:

16) Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

- Seems to be slipping a little bit due an injury concerns. A perfect player to have opposite a rush backer like Sheard; he is a jack of all trades.

22) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

- A big corner with a knack for making plays. His timed speed will cause him to either rise or drop.

78) Justin Pugh, OG, Syracuse

- Pugh has versatility, and as scouts pointed out during the Senior Bowl, he needs to move inside as a guard. Could fill in at tackle if there are some injuries, but combining him with Thomas would be great, reminding fans of the short Steinbach/Thomas era. He used to be a 2nd round prospect as a left tackle, but since he'll probably be moving to guard, the Browns will probably get a chance at him in the 3rd.

101) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State

- Sims is a tight end who, in addition to having a huge frame, can be a player in the running game and the passing game. He would compliment Cameron well.

165) Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech

- David has a massive frame with great athleticism. He would pair well with Little on the underneath routes, while Gordon and Benjamin would be deep threats.

196) Rontez Miles, FS, Califronia (PA)

- I'm still hoping that the front office takes a chance on this guy. He has size, intensity, and consistently looked like the best athlete on the field (as he should, being an NFL prospect in D2). Worth a 7th round pick.

With this draft and the surplus of cap space, I'd expect the Browns to round out the roster adding free agents at the 3-4 DE position like Mike Devito or Ricky Jean Francois, CB position like Greg Toler, and P in Dustin Colquitt. Maybe make a splash with Jairus Byrd or Anthony Spencer.

Rams are a possibility to trade up ahead of Arizona to grab Fisher/Joeckel (If Fisher goes ahead of him). If the Rams resign Amendola, they won't have an immediate need for a WR (they did draft Quick and Givens early last year, with Givens producing as a deep threat)

I fully expect the Rams to trade into the Top 10, hopefully it is with us. Looking at a value chart the Browns would probably have to swap picks in the third and give up a fifth... It depends on how much the Rams will be willing to give up while trading up. But I'd be fine with losing a few spots in the third and a mid rounder to get two firsts.

My new dream mock:

16) Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

- Seems to be slipping a little bit due an injury concerns. A perfect player to have opposite a rush backer like Sheard; he is a jack of all trades.

22) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

- A big corner with a knack for making plays. His timed speed will cause him to either rise or drop.

78) Justin Pugh, OG, Syracuse

- Pugh has versatility, and as scouts pointed out during the Senior Bowl, he needs to move inside as a guard. Could fill in at tackle if there are some injuries, but combining him with Thomas would be great, reminding fans of the short Steinbach/Thomas era. He used to be a 2nd round prospect as a left tackle, but since he'll probably be moving to guard, the Browns will probably get a chance at him in the 3rd.

101) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State

- Sims is a tight end who, in addition to having a huge frame, can be a player in the running game and the passing game. He would compliment Cameron well.

165) Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech

- David has a massive frame with great athleticism. He would pair well with Little on the underneath routes, while Gordon and Benjamin would be deep threats.

196) Rontez Miles, FS, Califronia (PA)

- I'm still hoping that the front office takes a chance on this guy. He has size, intensity, and consistently looked like the best athlete on the field (as he should, being an NFL prospect in D2). Worth a 7th round pick.

With this draft and the surplus of cap space, I'd expect the Browns to round out the roster adding free agents at the 3-4 DE position like Mike Devito or Ricky Jean Francois, CB position like Greg Toler, and P in Dustin Colquitt. Maybe make a splash with Jairus Byrd or Anthony Spencer.

The Rams aren't trading up. it conflicts with literally everything Fisher and Snead believe in. Also yes they will still have a huge need at WR as they have no #1 receiver. You're basically suggesting they give up two firsts, plus more, to draft a player at a position they are already very strong at.

the Rams have one of the best lt's in the league. Saffold doesn't get much if any credit for media types but Profootballfocus rated him the best pass blocking LT in the entire league over the last half of the season. If Saffold was on a high profile team no one would be forecasting the Rams drafting a LT.

It just makes no sense for them to trade up, pass on filling real needs so they can get a QB or LT when they have two very good young players at those positions.

I know everyone would love to get their hands on those picks but it's not happening. People are basically inventing weaknesses on the Rams so they can convince themselves the Rams are going to trade up.

It's kind of hilarious honestly. The Rams have a woeful interior line and one of the worst receiving corps in the league but they are going to decide to pass on filling both those needs to draft over one of the best young LT's in the league? LIke I said it's a pipe dream that only makes sense if you know nothing about the Rams roster and are trying to convince yourself that the Rams make a bad move all to help the Browns.

Archived