THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

I like Geno Smith but worry we are taking a big risk if we go for him that high. I also like Peter Lalich. In my opinion this is the guy we should get if we are going to stick with Weeden another year. I wouldn't even let him hit the FA market because there are people who are going to want him for sure. 7th round pick, cut McCoy loose and go with the other three at QB and let them battle it out. Three young guys pushing each other. However I have a suspicion that for all the Browns talk about a QB competition that they may just jump at a QB in the first round. If so it will be Smith at 6 because he won't get past the Bills. However maybe they could act like they want him at get the Bills to trade up and give them some picks in return.

We also must get a punter, and a FG kicker (most likely). I like Nebraska's Punter quite a bit and would like to see him in a Browns uniform.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a UVA fan Peter Lalich brings up depression. But the guy does have talent. Hopefully he has his head on straight now.

Lalich was on the straight and narrow for a while at Oregon State, but Ryan Katz was beating him out for the starting job. Then he got a BUII on Mothers day weekend and got kicked off the team.

How about any of these prospects as a KR/PR:

TJ Jones, Notre Dame

Marquiss Goodwin, Texas

Theo Riddick, Notre Dame

Ontario McCalebb,Auburn (team him in the backfield with Montario Hardesty?)

Andre DeBose, Florida

Quinton Patton, La. Tech

Robinson, Michigan

Kenjon Barner, Oregon

Stedman Bailey, WVa.

How about any of these prospects as a KR/PR:

TJ Jones, Notre Dame

Marquiss Goodwin, Texas

Theo Riddick, Notre Dame

Ontario McCalebb,Auburn (team him in the backfield with Montario Hardesty?)

Andre DeBose, Florida

Quinton Patton, La. Tech

Robinson, Michigan

Kenjon Barner, Oregon

Stedman Bailey, WVa.

How about Travis Benjamin? He already has 1 return TD in 6 return attempts (3 KR/ 3 PR). I think we'll go with him.

How about Travis Benjamin? He already has 1 return TD in 6 return attempts (3 KR/ 3 PR). I think we'll go with him.

Certainly he is in the mix. The only question is: is he going to be a near full time WR for this team. The #3 man in essence. And, if so, do the Browns want to expose him on the special teams.

What do people think about the bills trade? If we just swap first rounders we'd pick up something like their third rounder. If, though, we throw in a fifth, we'd get a 2nd rounder instead.

We'd move from having picks in the rounds 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6 to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6. It's giving another pick, true, but to be honest a 5th rounder isn't going to be an impact starter, it'll be a project player who might contribute on ST and maybe develop in to a rotation player. We have a ton of those guys already - Wade, Carder etc.

So if we could get something like a CB in the first, RG in the second and TE in the third, I think we'd be in better shape.

What do people think about the bills trade? If we just swap first rounders we'd pick up something like their third rounder. If, though, we throw in a fifth, we'd get a 2nd rounder instead.

We'd move from having picks in the rounds 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6 to 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 6. It's giving another pick, true, but to be honest a 5th rounder isn't going to be an impact starter, it'll be a project player who might contribute on ST and maybe develop in to a rotation player. We have a ton of those guys already - Wade, Carder etc.

So if we could get something like a CB in the first, RG in the second and TE in the third, I think we'd be in better shape.

I believe that's the only reason were working Smith out. I'd love to trade down but the only way it happens is if Smith miraculously falls.

I believe that's the only reason were working Smith out. I'd love to trade down but the only way it happens is if Smith miraculously falls.

I think the only way we trade down with the Bills at least is if they're jumping the cards for Smith, so it's unlikely. Barkley and the rest might available early second round though - it wouldn't surprise me if a QB was taken there, although I'd still like to see what Weedon can do in this offense (but that's a story for a another thread!)

Reason Alexander was tendered with no draft pick compensation and nobody's jumped is continuing concern over his knees. He played really well last year but he has kind of a K2 stain, a guy who has really, really old knees at a very young age. Too bad because he'd otherwise be an amazing get. Rangy, fast athlete... love the guy.

Once again, I think #6 is too high for a #2 CB when our pass rush will allow less time for the opposing QBs & WRs to pick us apart. Another potential trade down partner MAY be the Dolphins looking for Long's replacement at left tackle. After all, there are 3 stud LTs in the draft & 2 of those may be gone in the 1st 4 or 5 picks. If that is the case, will Miami fork over their #12 & one of their 2nd rounders? Wallace won't do much damage if his QB is sitting on his butt before he gets open. Just a thought.

Mike

Once again, I think #6 is too high for a #2 CB when our pass rush will allow less time for the opposing QBs & WRs to pick us apart. Another potential trade down partner MAY be the Dolphins looking for Long's replacement at left tackle. After all, there are 3 stud LTs in the draft & 2 of those may be gone in the 1st 4 or 5 picks. If that is the case, will Miami fork over their #12 & one of their 2nd rounders? Wallace won't do much damage if his QB is sitting on his butt before he gets open. Just a thought.

Mike

Actually, that's an excellent call ! The Rams are considered a definite pick at 16 for Austin.... (they are worried about somebody jumping ahead of them for him)...

and with the second round pick gained by the Browns, they select:

Darius Slay, CB out of Mississippi.

And get an OG in the third round... Winters?

those three picks could be one of the best three picks the Browns could possibly make. Austin is spectacular, Slay ran faster than Milliner, and is said to be possibly drafted before Jonathan Banks.... he has excellent skills....saw him wow them at the combine...

I thiink that would make the offense and defense complete, except for TE, maybe. Draft an excellent kicker, and hell yeah !

Making a couple of assumptions here - 1) we sign Brent Grimes; 2) he becomes starting corner with Haden. What then? Do we look at OLB again at number 6? Another assumption, but by signing Campbell we're not going to be taking Geno Smith at 6. So then we're looking at a bunch of OLB and OT guys (since we're not taking Milliner) - the more I think about it, the more I see us trading back a bit for someone like Warmack, or maybe a real huge trade like we did with the Falcons a couple of years ago for Julio Jones.

Browns to host South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger

by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

3/28/2013 5:45 PM

The Browns will host South Carolina safety D.J. Swearinger as one of their 30 pre-draft visits, a source said.

Swearinger (5-10, 208) recorded 80 tackles, two interceptions and seven breakups in 2012.

He's played every position in the defensive backfield, including cornerback, strong safety and free safety. The Browns are looking for a safety to start opposite T.J. Ward.

After watching no more film then this, i want this guy..lol

Archived