THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

A tenth of a second can be a difference between a touchdown and a tackle.

I just don't see the value in having two spots on a 53 man roster designated for solely return men and, at best, 4th WR's.

Well the goal is to get one of the two to become a slot WR

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denard Robinson would be a very poor pick by the Browns -

from cbssports.som, on Denard Robinson:

"WEAKNESSES: Extremely streaky as a passer with too many inconsistent decisions, low-percentage pass attempts and messy mechanics. Shows less than ideal attention to detail as a route-runner. Struggles with drops, and allows far too many passes to get into his pads. Fights the ball as a receiver and lacks sharpness in his routes, two areas that need improving before he is ready for the NFL. He also needed help on where to line up pre-snap on several occasions, indicating just how raw he is at the position. Struggled to field punts during Senior Bowl practices."

eh....NO.

He had a bad Sr Bowl, the very first time he was a WR. He was also and still is recovering from a nerve injury in his elbow that causes numbness in his hand and his ability to grip the ball. He described himself at 60% health at the combine.

The weaknesses about his passing mean nothing. He will learn to run routes. He played QB for 3 years, he'll get the mental stuff down.

Read the analysis post combine. Damn near every article I've read has been positive.

It seems to me he could potentially fill a couple holes our team will have.

He had a bad Sr Bowl, the very first time he was a WR. He was also and still is recovering from a nerve injury in his elbow that causes numbness in his hand and his ability to grip the ball. He described himself at 60% health at the combine.

The weaknesses about his passing mean nothing. He will learn to run routes. He played QB for 3 years, he'll get the mental stuff down.

Read the analysis post combine. Damn near every article I've read has been positive.

It seems to me he could potentially fill a couple holes our team will have.

Mayock during the combine commented on his senior bowl and said that he deserves credit for trying to play through the injury. He looked ok at the combine, no question the dude can run. He's essentially a younger version of Cribbs.

Well the goal is to get one of the two to become a slot WR

So instead if having one player who needs to develop get more reps, we split time between two guys who are both project potential slot receivers.

It's a waste of a roster spot, a waste of money, and a waste of a draft pick.

He doesn't fill any holes that we have.

Really, I'd just keep Cribbs. He is a main man on kick coverages, though he probly' has lost a step.

But his play inspires the special teams because he lays it on the line, one hundred percent every play.

Benjamin and Robinson are two entirely different types of players. Robinson has better open field moves and had excellent production as a RB. While Benjamin has better straight line speed and proven production as a deep threat.

The Browns could do a lot of damage in a Shotgun Four Wide

Gordon (Left Outside)

Robinson (Left Slot)

Little (Right Slot)

Benjamin (Right Outside)

That would be a diverse set. I believe Benjamin is better suited to the outside and looking at his splits, that is where most his production has come.

Having athletes like that on the outside and allowing Weeden play in the shotgun would help the production tremendously. This is why I initially posted my 'want' for Robinson about two months ago and brought it back into my latest mock.

Some late round guys I would like:

Kerwynn Williams, RB (maybe slot WR), Utah State

- 6th to 7th Round

- Over 2,000 yards rushing/receiving, 20 Touchdowns; a great player.

Kapron Lewis-Moore, 3-4 DE, Notre Dame

- 7th to UDFA

- Excellent production and ability

- Will drop in the draft due to multiple knee injuries (Torn ACL in this year's BCS Championship)

Rontez Miles, FS, California (PA)

- 6th to 7th

- A safety with great size who likes to hit. Could be a spectacular special teamer with the ability to fill in at either safety position.

T.J. Moe, WR, Missouri

- 6th to 7th

- This guy dominated the short area quickness, change of direction, and strength tests at the combine; but failed the speed test. Could carve a niche out as a 4th underneath receiver and a special teamer.

Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado

- 6th

- A big target at 6-6, 270 who posted a pretty impressive 40 time of 4.71. Not a whole lot of experience as a TE; I believe only 1.5 seasons. He has good blocking ability and the athleticism to flash some deep gains. He would be a great compliment to Cameron, and a possible replacement if he progressing.

Quinton Dial, 3-4 DE, Alabama

- 6th to 7th

- A big guy at 6-5, 315 who has experience as a 3-4 DE. The Browns absolutely need to address their lack of depth at 3-4 DE's. I worry this upcoming season will be trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Bringing in maybe an experienced free agent and drafting a player like Dial (or the aforementioned Lewis-Moore) will help them for years to come.

I just think Robinson has a problem with hand-eye coordination. ..Pretty sure I could find a player

who can do what he should be able to do already.

Mdmusch posted about a kid, Williams, that probly' nobody else ever heard of. I'd draft Williams far quicker:

Kerwynn Williams, RB (maybe slot WR), Utah State<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">- 6th to 7th Round<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252);">

- Over 2,000 yards rushing/receiving, 20 Touchdowns; a great player..

Just thinkin.

"Struggles with drops, and allows far too many passes to get into his pads. Fights the ball as a receiver and lacks sharpness in his routes, two areas that need improving before he is ready for the NFL. He also needed help on where to line up pre-snap on several occasions, indicating just how raw he is at the position. Struggled to field punts during Senior Bowl practices."

I still think it would suit Robinson better to develop as a HB instead of a WR but I guess the NFL scouts he's talked to know best

I think it would be a great pick in the 4th if he is still there...

Why are we even talking about some dipshit third rate talent? Just because you and he both went to Michigan?

Why dont we talk about Adam Bice OC or Adam Steiner LS....both from Akron where I went? Both probably third rate talent as well.

Hey if you guys want to look like biased idiots, go ahead. I won't stop you.

Though I'm sure you'll think the same if me, and you'll see over biased idiots around you and it will make you think you're right.

"Dips hit third rate talent". ........ really?

We won't talk about Akron players because is Akron, lol.

Also, Cal, I'm pretty sure you are posting post Sr Bowl evaluations which I've already explained why they aren't as accurate

To get Robinson you'd have to overpay for what he was able to do as a QB ar Michigan. Who knows if he could handle the pounding hed recieve as a running back or be able to learn the nuances of playing reciever. You dont know how good his hands are. And while he has exceptional straight line speed, I dont think hes got elite quickness. You would be drafting an unknown commodity in the 3rd round and I know we can do better.

Though I'm sure you'll think the same if me, and you'll see over biased idiots around you and it will make you think you're right.

Also, Cal, I'm pretty sure you are posting post Sr Bowl evaluations which I've already explained why they aren't as accurate

There's being objective- which we're doing- and being a homer- which is what you're doing.

You want to draft a in the third round to be solely a returner and gimmick HB.

We have a returner who is faster, and a 3rd overall pick RB. There's no point in taking him when we have other glaring holes to fill.

Who cares about why you've explained the Senior Bowl evaluations to be inaccurate. People who get paid a hell of a lot more than you or me made those evaluations, and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them inaccurate.

Having an injury doesn't make up for the fact that he's just not this amazing talent that you've been creaming over for the last couple years. He's a college running QB that played in a system that promoted his strengths. He's not a legitimate NFL QB, WR or HB talent. He is a gimmick player, that's all he'll ever be in the NFL.

He's Brad Smith at his absolute best or Pat White at his worst. That's not a gamble that's worth a third round pick, in my eyes.

You went first, are you saying it is our turn?

Yea, really. He will probably be drafted...late.

Akron has sent a few fine players to the NFL. Jason Taylor, Dwight Smith (2 Ints in SB), Victor Green.

All I am saying is why all the breath wasted on a guy whose career track may not even be as high as Charlie Fryes? An Akron player.

To get Robinson you'd have to overpay for what he was able to do as a QB ar Michigan. Who knows if he could handle the pounding hed recieve as a running back or be able to learn the nuances of playing reciever. You dont know how good his hands are. And while he has exceptional straight line speed, I dont think hes got elite quickness. You would be drafting an unknown commodity in the 3rd round and I know we can do better.

What do you mean by overpay?

As far as durability goes, here are a few stats. (Beanie was just the first guy to come to my head, fyi)

In 3 years as a starter Denard carried the ball 654 times. Beanie Wells carried it 625 times in 3 years. This isn't counting all the hits Denard took while also playing QB.

In 3 years as a starter Denard missed less games than Beanie Wells.

Against South Carolina, a pretty good defense, Denard put up 100 yards on 23 carries. He had the third most yards against SC out of the halfbacks they played all season.

I don't know how many games of his you've ever watched, but he has quickness. He makes the initial cuts and changes direction, then utilizes straight line speed.

I'm not sure if I ever said 3rd... I'd be fine with it, but I thought I said 4th.

There's being objective- which we're doing- and being a homer- which is what you're doing.

You want to draft a in the third round to be solely a returner and gimmick HB.

We have a returner who is faster, and a 3rd overall pick RB. There's no point in taking him when we have other glaring holes to fill.

Who cares about why you've explained the Senior Bowl evaluations to be inaccurate. People who get paid a hell of a lot more than you or me made those evaluations, and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them inaccurate.

Having an injury doesn't make up for the fact that he's just not this amazing talent that you've been creaming over for the last couple years. He's a college running QB that played in a system that promoted his strengths. He's not a legitimate NFL QB, WR or HB talent. He is a gimmick player, that's all he'll ever be in the NFL.

He's Brad Smith at his absolute best or Pat White at his worst. That's not a gamble that's worth a third round pick, in my eyes.

Again, I don't think I ever said 3rd.

Benjamin might be a little faster, but you are making it sound like they are worlds apart. Denard also has 30 pounds on Benjamin. I'm not sure how well Benjamin would hold on kick returns. One of Cribbs' assets was his size.

Again, poor reading skills. I never said they were inaccurate because I disagree with them. They are inaccurate because they aren't current.

NFL.com

"» Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson did well for himself Sunday. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash and showed the game speed he put on tape. Mayock called Robinson smart, tough and quick. Robinson also caught the ball well and didn't have a single drop during the gauntlet drill despite nerve damage that affects his right hand. Pass-catching skills remain the biggest question, but Robinson did well in that area during the workout."

From CBS Sports

Last couple of years? I haven't been here near that long...

I would say a nerve injury in your elbow affecting your ability to grip with that hand my hinder catching. Its not a pass by any means, but it would be stupid to ignore it.

I am not saying for sure he will become a superstar, every down HB or WR. I am saying he can fill a lot of holes and has a lot of upside.

This was posted on the dawgsbynature website.

By Brian Tarcy:

The best way for the Cleveland Browns to improve is for them to use the sixth pick in the draft to take Chance Warmack, offensive guard from Alabama and begin to complete the best offensive line in the NFL.

When that happens, with a healthy Trent Richardson running behind that line, Brandon Weeden can be great. Or Colt McCoy. Or your grandmother, if she has a decent arm and half a brain.

If you give any NFL quarterback a great running game and a great offensive line, he will be successful. I am so confident in this that I will add this clause; even if he wears an orange helmet Lots of mediocre quarterbacks have had great seasons. It's a sweet formula, and if the quarterback has some success, he may actually become confident. Then, look out.. Heck, Derek Anderson did it.

You want an identity? How about, “Kick everyone's butt.” You want touchdowns? Put Trent Richardson behind a mashing athletic left guard who is playing between a Pro Bowl Center and a Pro Bowl left tackle.

I say this formula begins finally to teach children how to be Cleveland Browns fans. Take a chance on Chance. He will most likely be available, as no one takes offensive guards that high. But the best ones are paid huge cash for a reason. If you build an offensive line, wins will come.

The jigsaw puzzle is almost complete. I know how tempting it is to give Ray Horton whatever he wants to build his attacking defense, but the Cleveland Browns need three things – a quarterback, an identity, and points. A dominating offensive line does all that.

In fact, I am sure that offensive lines make quarterbacks more than the other way around, except for Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and they are vulnerable too.

I want the Cleveland Browns to spend their free agent money on defense, and take a Chance in the draft. It's unconventional thinking given how every expert has them going for defense. But they are finally close to building a team with a power identity on the shores of Lake Erie.

This is the blueprint I remember from when things were rosy and the Cleveland Browns were always a good-to-great team. It's time to abandon the clown car version of football we have been watching for the past past decade and a half. To paraphrase Sam Wyche, Cleveland is not Cincinnati.

I don't care what the Browns do as long as they win every game next year. But until they make a decision, which then by default becomes my heartfelt opinion too, I believe the guy some call the most athletic guard to come out in years.

Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly are in the Hall of Fame. So in Gene Hickerson, who blocked for both of them. I love great coincidences. Take a Chance on another.

And if the team finishes 5-11 again next year because a knucklehead like me forgets that a dominating defense also helps, at least the next new coach and new quarterback will have an almost completed offensive line to work with until they get fired. So that's progress.

I know at the end of the day we will go LB/DE, but this article makes you think of the possibility of what an amazing line might do for our offense.

If we trade out of the top 10 to the top 15 and get a 2nd rounder this might just make a little more sense.

By Brian Tarcy:

The best way for the Cleveland Browns to improve is for them to use the sixth pick in the draft to take Chance Warmack, offensive guard from Alabama and begin to complete the best offensive line in the NFL.

When that happens, with a healthy Trent Richardson running behind that line, Brandon Weeden can be great. Or Colt McCoy. Or your grandmother, if she has a decent arm and half a brain.

If you give any NFL quarterback a great running game and a great offensive line, he will be successful. I am so confident in this that I will add this clause; even if he wears an orange helmet Lots of mediocre quarterbacks have had great seasons. It's a sweet formula, and if the quarterback has some success, he may actually become confident. Then, look out.. Heck, Derek Anderson did it.

You want an identity? How about, “Kick everyone's butt.” You want touchdowns? Put Trent Richardson behind a mashing athletic left guard who is playing between a Pro Bowl Center and a Pro Bowl left tackle.

I say this formula begins finally to teach children how to be Cleveland Browns fans. Take a chance on Chance. He will most likely be available, as no one takes offensive guards that high. But the best ones are paid huge cash for a reason. If you build an offensive line, wins will come.

The jigsaw puzzle is almost complete. I know how tempting it is to give Ray Horton whatever he wants to build his attacking defense, but the Cleveland Browns need three things – a quarterback, an identity, and points. A dominating offensive line does all that.

In fact, I am sure that offensive lines make quarterbacks more than the other way around, except for Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and they are vulnerable too.

I want the Cleveland Browns to spend their free agent money on defense, and take a Chance in the draft. It's unconventional thinking given how every expert has them going for defense. But they are finally close to building a team with a power identity on the shores of Lake Erie.

This is the blueprint I remember from when things were rosy and the Cleveland Browns were always a good-to-great team. It's time to abandon the clown car version of football we have been watching for the past past decade and a half. To paraphrase Sam Wyche, Cleveland is not Cincinnati.

I don't care what the Browns do as long as they win every game next year. But until they make a decision, which then by default becomes my heartfelt opinion too, I believe the guy some call the most athletic guard to come out in years.

Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly are in the Hall of Fame. So in Gene Hickerson, who blocked for both of them. I love great coincidences. Take a Chance on another.

And if the team finishes 5-11 again next year because a knucklehead like me forgets that a dominating defense also helps, at least the next new coach and new quarterback will have an almost completed offensive line to work with until they get fired. So that's progress.

I know at the end of the day we will go LB/DE, but this article makes you think of the possibility of what an amazing line might do for our offense.

If we trade out of the top 10 to the top 15 and get a 2nd rounder this might just make a little more sense.

It's simple:

We can get a good G in FA for half of the price of what we'd get an equally effective LB for.

Getting an impact G in FA and an impact LB at 6 will be much cheaper than the other way around. Take advantage of the rookie salary cap, get a skill player early and pay him pennies on the dollar for the first couple years.

Again, I don't think I ever said 3rd.

Benjamin might be a little faster, but you are making it sound like they are worlds apart. Denard also has 30 pounds on Benjamin. I'm not sure how well Benjamin would hold on kick returns. One of Cribbs' assets was his size.

Again, poor reading skills. I never said they were inaccurate because I disagree with them. They are inaccurate because they aren't current.

NFL.com

"» Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson did well for himself Sunday. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash and showed the game speed he put on tape. Mayock called Robinson smart, tough and quick. Robinson also caught the ball well and didn't have a single drop during the gauntlet drill despite nerve damage that affects his right hand. Pass-catching skills remain the biggest question, but Robinson did well in that area during the workout."

From CBS Sports

Last couple of years? I haven't been here near that long...

I would say a nerve injury in your elbow affecting your ability to grip with that hand my hinder catching. Its not a pass by any means, but it would be stupid to ignore it.

I am not saying for sure he will become a superstar, every down HB or WR. I am saying he can fill a lot of holes and has a lot of upside.

They are the most current scouting reports you can find of him playing in a game. We're not drafting a player to run combine drills for the next 10 years, we're drafting a player to play in games.

And I'm assuming you've been Michigan fan for the last couple years so therefore you, along with every other Michigan fan, have been creaming your pants over Denard since he's been there.

I would hope you weren't saying he'd be a superstar, because then I would know you've lost your mind instead of just suspecting it. Our biggest holes are LB, CB, and G. KR/PR, HB and WR are the least of our needs. Unless Denard makes the transition to CB, we'd do better not to select him.

By Brian Tarcy:

I am not totally against that...as long as the Browns can pick up some decent defensive pieces in FA.

I made that argument for Chance Warmack a couple weeks ago. I still wouldn't mind it if Ansah and Jordan were off the board. IMO they are the only two players with greater difference making ability (at a position the Browns need).

Also to save a pick from becoming a Tight End, the Browns should really target Jared Cook. I thought that he would get the Franchise tag for sure.

And in regards to Free Agency; I am also upset that the Cowboy's tagged Spencer. I thought he would be available and fit right in to the new defense.

It's kinda weird math: The Browns almost HAVE to spend like 40 mill in free agency, based on the new rules (89% average over 4 years). That's gonna be like 4 starters plus some depth. Let's say rumors are true and it's Avril, Lewis, Ellerbe, Brandon Myers, and a right guard to compete.

So where are the holes? You might like another corner but Haden and Lewis are starting and Skrine is probably the nickel. He's extremely promising. Point is, you aren't signing Lewis and drafting Milliner.

You kinda know the Browns don't unanimously love Weeden, so I guess you'd say Geno Smith is in play. You could add another pass rusher, but not that high because Avril and Sheard are starting. You'd love another WR but you're SO young, is it really a rookie? Maybe in round 4-ish but certainly not at #6 because there's nobody to take that high anyway.

Talk will slant to Floyd or Star... and I guess you could dump Rubin because he isn't as good in the 3-4, but really? 3-4 DL before Watt weren't very highly weighted as far as the draft. And if you want one that bad, get a serious 5-tech like Desmond Bryant.

Love to trade down... but that's what everybody wants to do.

If we switch to the 3-4,

Taylor Rubin Winn, Sheard ,Johnson ,Jackson .When you add Robertson who finished third on the team with 93 total tackles, 62 of which were solo stops. Robertson had one sack and two interceptions,

Fort served in more of a special teams role, while Robertson saw time as an extra linebacker in the nickel package.We start to get a better picture of The Defense, Witch in my opinion is not as bad as the Media says .

The transition to the 3/4 and Horton has repeatedly said that multiple fronts would be employed . This Defense may not need as much restructuring as the Media would say or lead us to believe .

The Horton de line will be aggressive and that plays right into Rubin and Taylor's game . Id like to see what these guys can do with the Green light first before we cut players we will need down the road .

Im just not aboard with the chicken little ,The sky is falling on the D I think its good and better would be nice but, How many teams in reality have better .

If we switch to the 3-4,

Taylor Rubin Winn, Sheard ,Johnson ,Jackson .When you add Robertson who finished third on the team with 93 total tackles, 62 of which were solo stops. Robertson had one sack and two interceptions,

Fort served in more of a special teams role, while Robertson saw time as an extra linebacker in the nickel package.We start to get a better picture of The Defense, Witch in my opinion is not as bad as the Media says .

The transition to the 3/4 and Horton has repeatedly said that multiple fronts would be employed . This Defense may not need as much restructuring as the Media would say or lead us to believe .

The Horton de line will be aggressive and that plays right into Rubin and Taylor's game . Id like to see what these guys can do with the Green light first before we cut players we will need down the road .

Im just not aboard with the chicken little ,The sky is falling on the D I think its good and better would be nice but, How many teams in reality have better .

Statistically, roughly 10 teams have better defenses, depending on what statline you judge by.

How would you guys feel about E.J. Manuel in the 4th or 5th. He's got some skill plus there's that chance to run the read option like Cam did in Carolina. He might be a poor man's Kaepernick...who knows.

How would you guys feel about E.J. Manuel in the 4th or 5th. He's got some skill plus there's that chance to run the read option like Cam did in Carolina. He might be a poor man's Kaepernick...who knows.

I would be ecstatic, but he'll be gone in the second.

Archived