THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

why when people talk about trading down they sell ourselves Short. you trade down from 6 you better get a number 1 next year. getting only a second round draft in for number 1 draft pick is old school browns bullshit.

problem is there isn't much interest from anyone to trade up this year. These draft lacks the elite difference makers that most drafts have and the only team who has multiple firsts is the Rams. who I've explained why it makes no sense for them to trade up.

The truth is we will probably be better off standing pat or be happy with a first this year and next because the Rams aren't a fit.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

problem is there isn't much interest from anyone to trade up this year. These draft lacks the elite difference makers that most drafts have and the only team who has multiple firsts is the Rams. who I've explained why it makes no sense for them to trade up.

The truth is we will probably be better off standing pat or be happy with a first this year and next because the Rams aren't a fit.

If we do trade down, 1st this year and a 1st next year would be the best option, as if were going mainly with Weeden this year, the choices coming out at QB next year are better if Weeden doesn't make the improvement front office hopes.

Mike Mayock's top-five ranks include early surprises

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Published: Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:06 p.m. Updated: Feb. 16, 2013 at 07:38 p.m.

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock has released his eagerly awaited top-five prospect lists for each position. The quarterback list reflects Mayock's sentiment that it's a confusing year for signal-callers. The major takeaway, however, is that the script has been flipped on the defensive stars at tackle, outside linebacker and insider linebacker.

Mayock's prospect rankings

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock has unveiled his initial position-by-position rankings of the 2013 NFL Draft prospects. See which players made the cut. More ...

Let's take a look at the noteworthy rankings:

» Quarterback:

Regarded by most analysts as the only surefire first-round pick, Geno Smith is no surprise at the top. Mayock isn't willing to "pound the table" for the West Virginia star, but appreciates his arm, release, and athleticism. Matt Barkley is a mild surprise in the second spot, though Mayock believes he can make every throw. Syracuse's Ryan Nassib is viewed as a Andy Dalton-level talent.

» Running back:

Alabama power back Eddie Lacy continues to pick up momentum on the heels of his dominant performances in the SEC title game and the BCS National Championship Game. He's emerging as the clear No. 1 back with a chance to go in the top 20 picks. Giovani Bernard's relatively low ranking implies a belief that explosive scat back out of North Carolina will be limited to a complementary role in the NFL. South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore remains the wild card at the No. 5 spot.

It's no surprise that Cordarrelle Patterson tops the list, as Mayock has stated that his jaw dropped when he put on the Tennessee film and saw the game-breaking wideout making plays all over the field.

» Defensive tackle:

While Utah's Star Lotulelei has been the consensus top prospect, both Mayock and NFL.com's Bucky Brooks have him ranked second at the position. Mayock prefers the fast-rising Sharrif Floyd from Florida while Brooks likes Missouri's Sheldon Richardson.

» Outside linebacker:

Mayock has called Oregon's Dion Jordan a potential "monster" at 6-foot-7 with the ability to play outside linebacker or defensive end. As we draw closer to the draft, we suspect other analysts will take Mayock's lead in ranking him above the more popular Jarvis Jones from Georgia.

any one watch this guy at all this year? seems intriguing to me.

» Inside linebacker:

Mayock has acknowledged Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's disappointing performance against Alabama in the national championship game, but he still believes his overall body of work merits a first-round selection. Georgia's Alec Ogletree likely is getting the edge due to his superior speed and athleticism, as he flies to the ball like a safety.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631835

01/03/2013 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: LB Dion Jordan earned first-team, all-Pac-12 honors for the second year in a row. The 6-foot-7, 243-pound senior began his career at tight end before moving to defense as a sophomore and now he is a likely first-round pick in the NFL Draft. Jordan is one of five finalists for the Butkus Award, given to the top linebacker in the country. He has 44 tackles, including 10.5 for loss and five sacks. - The Sports Xchange

Overview

Jordan signed with Oregon as a highly regarded prep tight end and only made the switch to the defensive side of the ball in the spring of 2010.

As a reserve defensive end for the Ducks in 2010 Jordan registered 33 tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks.

To take advantage of his unique combination of burst off the snap and length, Oregon created a hybrid role for Jordan in 2011, lining him up as a stand-up pass rusher and moving him around to find favorable matchups. Demonstrating surprising fluidity for such a tall player, Jordan exploded for 13 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, each of which led the team, earning First Team all-conference honors from Pac-12 coaches.

In 2012, Jordan showcased his versatility to the nation against Arizona State, lining up on the line of scrimmage as a stand-up defensive end, in the box as a linebacker or in the slot, covering inside receivers. Yes - in the slot on receivers, a spot usually reserved for defensive backs.

Rarely asked to play with his hand in the dirt as a traditional defensive end, Oregon helped protect Jordan as a run-defender as he lacks the bulk to consistently set the edge against 300 pound behemoths. Jordan's long arms and vision, however, allow him to disengage from most blockers quickly and he plays with a high-revving motor, often pursuing the ball-carrier yards downfield.

Jordan's extraordinary physical tools will likely land him in the first round, now the question is how high?

Analysis

Strengths: Rare athleticism for his size with loose hips and smooth footwork to move naturally in any direction. Looks like a basketball small forward in football pads with his tall, long frame and flexible joints, looking comfortable in space.

Fluid change of direction skills in his transition, quickly redirecting. Very good first step with natural bend and closing burst off the edge to flatten to the quarterback. Active and doesn't quit. Uses his length well with violent hand use, using quick mitts to make it tough for blockers to combat them.

Physical striker to separate man from ball with the arms to easily wrap and finish. Fiery demeanor and has a good head on his shoulders. Good awareness and experience lining up all over the defenses' front-7, even spending time covering the slot receiver and dropping in coverage. Still growing and sky is the limit with his athletic potential.

Weaknesses: Lean and lanky body type. Needs to add bulk to his frame and get stronger, but there are questions about how much weight he can add to his body. Lacks dominant upper body power to win with his hands. Still learning his pass rush moves and needs to develop in this area.

Needs to stay controlled, often overrunning the pocket or his intended target. Lacks experience putting his hand on the ground and rushing from a 3-point stance. Lacks a natural position and will be viewed as a defensive end by some and a strong-side linebacker by others.

Still raw in a lot of areas and will need time to grow at the next level. Strong durability concerns with various injuries over his career, notably a tender right shoulder that plagued him much of 2012. Only average production at Oregon with just 14.5 career sacks

Compares to: Chandler Jones, DE, New England Patriots - Although Jones is stronger and a bit more polished at this point in his development, scouts see that type of potential for Jordan plus he brings much more position versatility and upside.

--Dane Brugler

I watched a couple videos of this guy and he is no doubt a beast, with his height and athleticism he would be highly useful coming around the edge and running with the new breed of TE's coming out these days.

The one thing I noticed is he needs to learn to play smaller in certain situations almost taking himself out of the play because some one got underneath him and drove him out of the way. With that being said a few extra pounds and better technique he could be a great player.

this website has him going first round- 15th overall to the saints or 30th to the falcons.

The good thing for us is as long as we don't try and be too smart and start reaching for potential diamonds in the rough, we can't loose.

There are plenty of highly rated players coming out of this draft in our defensive positions of need. Whether we trade down slightly or pick at 6, we should be able to get people in who will greatly improve our pass rushing right from the start.

Like i said, my only worry is the FO pick someone nobody is expecting simply to prove they are smarter than everyone else.

The good thing for us is as long as we don't try and be too smart and start reaching for potential diamonds in the rough, we can't loose.

There are plenty of highly rated players coming out of this draft in our defensive positions of need. Whether we trade down slightly or pick at 6, we should be able to get people in who will greatly improve our pass rushing right from the start.

Like i said, my only worry is the FO pick someone nobody is expecting simply to prove they are smarter than everyone else.

Yea, wasn't Lombardi with the Raiders when they were pulling that crap all the time? Heyward-Bey and others? Picking guys that others felt were 2d/3rd rounders in the top half of the draft?

Is ML going to try to pawn that strategy off all on Al Davis?

Hoping Da'Rick Rogers falls to us in the 3rd. If you ever seen this kid play he loves the game and is one tough SOB, he wants to bleed on the field...he wants 10 people to hit him in the face, he wants you to shoot him while catches a ball, he is that kid that dreams of making that catch for the winning TD in the Super Bowl and then breaking his neck and dying and the fans go wild. He is a baller...with a litle side habit just like flash...ok, maybe a little worse. But get rid of MoMass bring in Da'Rick, Flash, Benjamin and Little and you could have one of the most dangerous WR corp of all time.

I say we go Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan in the first, then Marcus Lattimore in the third if he's still on the board.

It's time we start drafting BPA instead of for need, and if Lattimore is still available in the third he will clearly be the best BPA. We won't need him at all next season, and then when he's healthy we can either have two fantastic RB's or trade Lattimore for more than we got him for.

Let's pull a New England and turn a draft pick into profit for once.

I say we go Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan in the first, then Marcus Lattimore in the third if he's still on the board.

It's time we start drafting BPA instead of for need, and if Lattimore is still available in the third he will clearly be the best BPA. We won't need him at all next season, and then when he's healthy we can either have two fantastic RB's or trade Lattimore for more than we got him for.

Let's pull a New England and turn a draft pick into profit for once.

I like lattimore as well, he would be the change of pace back that I think we need. I believe he is not doing anything at the combine, but what about pro days? Is he going to be healthy enough? The way that knee bent, i would think he lost a step or two. I just dont want another hardesty on the roster, but he did look decent last year. But he still has yet to live up to where he was taken, Imo

I like lattimore as well, he would be the change of pace back that I think we need. I believe he is not doing anything at the combine, but what about pro days? Is he going to be healthy enough? The way that knee bent, i would think he lost a step or two. I just dont want another hardesty on the roster, but he did look decent last year. But he still has yet to live up to where he was taken, Imo

Dr. James Andrews has said that Lattimore will "shock the world" when he works out for teams. He's gained twenty pounds of muscle and is three months ahead of schedule. Andrews has gone on record saying its very possible that he'll be ready for the start of this season.

He'll begin running next Monday.

NFL.com's Top 10 rankings:

1. Chance Warmack G

2. Luke Joeckel T

3. Dee Milliner CB

4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB

5. Star Lotulelei DT

6. Eric Fisher T

7. Geno Smith QB

8. Bjoern Werner DE/OLB

9. Sheldon Richardson DT

10. Cordarrelle Patterson WR

Walterfootball.com Top 10 rankings:

1. Luke Joeckel T

2. Star Lotulelei DT

3. Bjoern Werner DE/OLB

4. Damontre Moore DE/OLB

5. Jarvis Jones OLB

6. Dee Milliner CB

7. Eric Fisher T

8. Sheldon Richardson DT

9. Chance Warmack G

10. Sharrif Floyd DT

SI.com Chris Burke Top 10 rankings:

1. Luke Joeckel T

2. Chance Warmack G

3. Jarvis Jones OLB

4. Damontre Moore DE/OLB

5. Eric Fisher T

6. Dee Milliner CB

7. Star Lotulelei DT

8. Bjoern Werner DE/OLB

9. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB

10. Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB

I think the Browns are going to be watching a handfull of guys at the combine to see if they can adapt their pass-rushing skills into being able to play stand up OLB.

Hopefully we see Werner, Mingo, Ansah, and Moore perform in the "pass drop, and hip rotation drill" which will say a lot about their ability to drop into coverage as needed. If these guys aren't able to do it, then I think Jones has to be our pick at #6.

Unless we can fill our LB holes via FA. Then it would be a no-brainer to draft Milliner.

Pre-Combine Mock

6)Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

- I would probably want Moore or Ansah here, but unless the Browns trade Sheard, they need a backer who can do more than simply rush the passer. Jones would play opposite Sheard as a linebacker who can do it all. He is called the best player in the draft by many, even with his athleticism question marks. Jones would step in a start immediately, while paying huge dividends in the overall performance of the defense.

68) Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

- Warford would step in at left guard and provide a huge upgrade. Pinkston is a question mark and Warford would be a talent upgrade regardless.

100*) Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, UConn

- Wilson dropped a bit during the Senior Bowl. He still provides a long, athletic CB who could be perfect for the position opposite of Haden.

131*) Brad Wing, P, LSU

- I'm am sick and tired of subpar punting. Field position can be a weapon, and Hodges lacks the consistency. Wing could immediately come in and become a Top 10 Punter immediately.

162*) Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

- He has been dropping a bit, and the lack of invite to the combine will only hurt his stock. Williams could come in and become an excellent compliment to Cameron. I even think his blocking could be used from day one in two tight sets.

164*) Zeke Motta, FS, Notre Dame

- He may never develop into a starter, but he would fill depth as a perfect combo safety. He could also fill in on special teams immediately.

*Compensatory picks will change the order

Watching the TE's run 40's and some enticing later round guys with speed are:

Matt Furstenburg out of Maryland(which apparently had QB issues), who is 6-4 and ran an unofficial 4.50.

Chris Gragg from Arkansas resembles vernon davis speed with a 4.44 but is a shorter 6.3

And Vance McDonald from Rice really stood out to me by kinging the bench with 31 reps and running a 4.63 which was just behind Eifert(4.60) and ahead of Ertz(4.65), and the dude is 6-5.

Watching the TE's run 40's and some enticing later round guys with speed are:

Matt Furstenburg out of Maryland(which apparently had QB issues), who is 6-4 and ran an unofficial 4.50.

Chris Gragg from Arkansas resembles vernon davis speed with a 4.44 but is a shorter 6.3

And Vance McDonald from Rice really stood out to me by kinging the bench with 31 reps and running a 4.63 which was just behind Eifert(4.60) and ahead of Ertz(4.65), and the dude is 6-5.

Gragg also played in a spread/pro style offense at Arkansas..

» Outside linebacker:

Mayock has called Oregon's Dion Jordan a potential "monster" at 6-foot-7 with the ability to play outside linebacker or defensive end. As we draw closer to the draft, we suspect other analysts will take Mayock's lead in ranking him above the more popular Jarvis Jones from Georgia.

any one watch this guy at all this year? seems intriguing to me.

This year my school's coaches in game prep only called out 3 defensive players as being "really special players" who they needed to specifically plan against. Those 3 were DE Dion Jordan of Oregon, LB Chase Thomas of Stanford, and LB Chris Borland of Wisconsin (who isn't in the draft).

» Quarterback:

Regarded by most analysts as the only surefire first-round pick, Geno Smith is no surprise at the top. Mayock isn't willing to "pound the table" for the West Virginia star, but appreciates his arm, release, and athleticism. Matt Barkley is a mild surprise in the second spot, though Mayock believes he can make every throw. Syracuse's Ryan Nassib is viewed as a Andy Dalton-level talent.

One QB who gets no pub and is a hell of a player is Matt Scott from Arizona. Arizona was supposed to win 2-3 games this year and instead they won 8. That guy is going to do something in the NFL.

At this point my Big board for our #6 overall now looks like this:

1. Dion Jordan - Ore

2. Ezekiel Ansah - BYU

3. Bjoern Werner - FSU

4. Barkevious Mingo - LSU

5. Damontre Moore - TA&M

6. Jarvis Jones - UGA

Obviously they're all 3-4 OLBs b/c with all this talent we can't miss, and it is our biggest position of need. I've watched some film (via youtube) on all 6 of these guys, as well as checked out the combine stats. I'm hoping to get a look at the on-field drills to see how well these guys play standing up. Jordan and Jones are really the only 2 with a decent amount of coverage experience, the other 4 are pure pass-rushers so the drills are important.

Archived