THE BROWNS BOARD

Honey Badger Agent Demands Guaranteed Money Or No Contract Signing

calfoxwc

DID anyone listen to him talk? He sounded like had a 7th grade education! Cant believe anyone feels hes owed anything! I can understand people make mistake but numerous failed drug test! I applaud the cards make him prove hes changed before throwing money at him. give him the league lowest pay allowed after all many people in life would be happy for that kind money! Hopefully he changes but id be shocked if he does!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally, that guaranteed money is based on trust that the player will definately not

screw the team over with irresponsibility. If nothing else, have the "guaranteed money" deferred,

and put in escrow, like someone else mentioned. The team isn't screwing up Mathieu - he did that to himself.

I don't think he is a scumbag, what I see here is a kid who regrets his mistakes and is doing a lot of soul searching and trying to fight his demons and find himself. I also see a hell of a teammate and potential leader of men if he can mature & overcome his trials.

Cal you talk like he killed someone, is he trying to con us or just conning himself? Idk, maybe.. but he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DKJpK2G2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U7_hzArz2w

All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.

Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.

All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.

Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.

Not a Tyrann hater, I watched him play when I was stationed in LA. That also was a highlight film, while everyone has one of those, there is never film made on a player with him missing tackles. In this video it shows him blitzing the shit out of qbs, will that translate to the NFL against much bigger lineman, that is to be seen. A lot of that film has him breaking up passes against Oregon, who lets be honest cant throw the ball. What the film did show though is that he is a special teams ACE, and that will come in handy a punt returner. However, you have Patrick Peterson doing that for them. The kid can for sure make tackles though. Im not betting against the guy and I do hope he overcomes his addictions, but at this point, I do not think we missed out on a cant miss guy.

No...only if he played for the Rats/Squibs/Pussies would we care. He was drafted by an NFC team. We would only play that team once every 4 years.

So, it is irrelevent to me.

I would be more worried about Sharmarko Thomas than this guy.

Get your freeking priorities in order.

By giving him his guaranteed money week to week, it makes his money not guaranteed. You get so much guaranteed money depending on where you were drafted, period. The team is only responsible for offering you a contract to the total amount that the draft slot is valued at, but if a team didn't want to give a player guaranteed money, as in sign on the dotted line and take your 500K, then they shouldn't have drafted him.

Weekly installments? Give me a break.

By giving him his guaranteed money week to week, it makes his money not guaranteed. You get so much guaranteed money depending on where you were drafted, period. The team is only responsible for offering you a contract to the total amount that the draft slot is valued at, but if a team didn't want to give a player guaranteed money, as in sign on the dotted line and take your 500K, then they shouldn't have drafted him.

Weekly installments? Give me a break.

A team is under no obligation to make any particular offer to a player they have drafted. If they wanted to they could say: take the rookie minimum under the CBA with weekly paychecks, no bonus, no guarantee, nothing.

That isn't usually done because of some tradition.....but contractually they are not required to do more than I just said.

Ahem, I don't hate the kid- however, I don't want him anywhere near the Browns, there's a difference there. I'd like nothing better to see if he can stay clean, and become a top NFL player. You have no clue BTW, what "minimal risk" is. The third round is still considered a "premium pick" FYI. 5th-7th round or UFA ala Vontae Burfict, is "minimal risk". This kid has more red flags than the Kremlin in the middle of communism.

Janoris Slaughter- blown Achilles 6th round- now that's minimal risk, GET IT? .

Finally, consider this a polite reminder you're getting a bunch of other posters (myself included) seriously POed beating a dead horse, and it's not the first time you've done so. I won't be quite so polite in the future.

Dude your gay. Go the gay way. Move to Arizona.

Here is the current NFL CBA. Good luck, it's 316 pages.

The only thing defined in the CBA is the types of compensation [signing bonus, roster bonus, salary etc] which are permissible. Everything else is open to negotiation. Arizona is 100% within its right to take this position.

And to the continued speculation about picking McFadden: Here's the link from nationalfootballpost to the analysis of McFadden, Mathieu, and Wreh-Wilson. Of the three, exactly one was stated to be a clear productive NFL every-down starter.. McFadden. Time to drop it, PG.

HAHA - Honey Badger. Who ever is butt hurt or whatever because they have to hear about Tyrann Mathieu in a Tyrann Mathieu thread needs to go and powder their fucking twat. Cause the Honey Badger don't give a shit. LOL :lol:

Please tell us you are sixteen. Then it will all make sense and the world will be right again.

Zombo

The Cards drafted him. They need to get with the program.

If other 3rd rounders slotted around the Badger are getting a portion of their contracts guaranteed, then so should he.

If other 3rd rounders slotted around the Badger are getting a portion of their contracts guaranteed, then so should he.

But, that is merely a tradition...or in other words:

Welcome aboard the NFL, Mr. Mathieu.

I see the point, but all this is doing is creating a sense of entitlement for unproven players. Look at the whole fiasco now with Gino... The kid thinks he's all that and entitled to certain rights. WHAT RIGHT'S? Both of these guys were drafted by a team. A team, that has every right to do what it wants with the contracts. Frankly, to shell out millions to a guy who has proven nothing is fiscally irresponsible. My employer doesn't guarantee me anything. If I perform well, show initiative, bring value to the table, then they reward you. The NFL should be the same way. The avg career in the NFL is what 3.5 years... that's it. To guarantee money to guys who's ego's are bigger than their careers will ever be is ludicrous.

Owners IMO, need to stand up to the players union and tell them to take a hike.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right.

I see the point, but all this is doing is creating a sense of entitlement for unproven players. Look at the whole fiasco now with Gino... The kid thinks he's all that and entitled to certain rights. WHAT RIGHT'S? Both of these guys were drafted by a team. A team, that has every right to do what it wants with the contracts. Frankly, to shell out millions to a guy who has proven nothing is fiscally irresponsible. My employer doesn't guarantee me anything. If I perform well, show initiative, bring value to the table, then they reward you. The NFL should be the same way. The avg career in the NFL is what 3.5 years... that's it. To guarantee money to guys who's ego's are bigger than their careers will ever be is ludicrous.

Owners IMO, need to stand up to the players union and tell them to take a hike.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right.

LOL, it's one of the major- though not only reason I don't follow MLB. Talk about guaranteed overpaid guys. By comparison, especially with the new rookie wage scale, the NFL has the sanest salary structure in professional sports. Play great, we'll pay you- the only money you have guaranteed is your signing bonus. Isn't like the lame armed MLB pitcher that's getting paid millions for years sitting on his sofa with an owie elbow.

Regarding the Honey Badger's guaranteed bonus, yes- he's entitled to it based on his draft slot (whether the Cardinals should have drafted him that high is another story). But let's posit he gets busted again after signing, and gets suspended. You think the Cardinals will be able to demand he repay that bonus? Har, har, har. 'Badger and his agent will tell Arizona and the NFL to pound salt.

I'll just make this one last point that the sain people have been making. If you didn't want to pay him the signing bonus that normally goes with that draft pick then you shouldn't have fucking drafted him there. You ended up taking him, so deal with it. Him and his agent will not budge on the issue and they shouldn't. It sets a president. If he accepts a contract with no signing bonus at that slot, then the signing bonus of everyone behind him is in danger. It would start with draft picks that have character concerns, then players with injury history. Eventually we would be seeing holdouts just like we were seeing before the new CBA was signed.

No, his talent is there for where he was drafted, and then some.

It's his immaturity, and ten + ? failed drug tests that make him

unqualified for a guaranteed part of any contract. IOW's, he has talent,

but he isn't worth trusting to at least always be available on the field.

All those other players have nothing to worry about. His stupidassness makes him

a high risk player for contract guarantees. He was drafted on talent, not trustworthyness.

You have both, you get both a contract and guaranteed money. HB did it to himself, and now,

as usual, doesn't want to be held accountable for his own screwups. That means he should get

paid the usual money for his slot. It also means guaranteed money isn't going to happen.

Oh, okay, if I were them, I've give him a hundred bucks...in pennies upfront. @@

No, his talent is there for where he was drafted, and then some.

It's his immaturity, and ten + ? failed drug tests that make him

unqualified for a guaranteed part of any contract. IOW's, he has talent,

but he isn't worth trusting to at least always be available on the field.

All those other players have nothing to worry about. His stupidassness makes him

a high risk player for contract guarantees. He was drafted on talent, not trustworthyness.

You have both, you get both a contract and guaranteed money. HB did it to himself, and now,

as usual, doesn't want to be held accountable for his own screwups. That means he should get

paid the usual money for his slot. It also means guaranteed money isn't going to happen.

Oh, okay, if I were them, I've give him a hundred bucks...in pennies upfront. @@

That untrustworthiness plays into where he gets drafted. TONS of prospects fell in the draft because of character concerns. That plays into where you were drafted, it should play into what your contract looks like. I repeat, if they were scared that he might fail a drug test and miss playing time, they shouldn't have taken the risk and drafted him. The draft is a lottery, I don't get monetary protection everytime I go buy a mega millions ticket, why the fuck should the Cards get some because they over drafted a guy they were not comfortable with?

That untrustworthiness plays into where he gets drafted. TONS of prospects fell in the draft because of character concerns. That plays into where you were drafted, it should play into what your contract looks like. I repeat, if they were scared that he might fail a drug test and miss playing time, they shouldn't have taken the risk and drafted him. The draft is a lottery, I don't get monetary protection everytime I go buy a mega millions ticket, why the fuck should the Cards get some because they over drafted a guy they were not comfortable with?

Why should they not ask for some if they deem it appropriate.

As noted: there is no rule, there is no law that says they HAVE to give this guy a guaranteed signing bonus just because they draft him. As the pirate said, it is more like guidelines...and they don't have to follow those guidelines if they don't choose to.

As for setting a precedent...the only precedent they set is that if anyone else drafts a risky player who has been suspended from his college team, has failed a dozen drug tests, and generally made a complete mess out of his life and career, then in that situation, you too, if you bear those traits, may have to sign an incentive based contract.

If he don't like it, then he too can join Tebow in Canada, or the Arena League or the new USFL.

Why should they not ask for some if they deem it appropriate.

As noted: there is no rule, there is no law that says they HAVE to give this guy a guaranteed signing bonus just because they draft him. As the pirate said, it is more like guidelines...and they don't have to follow those guidelines if they don't choose to.

As for setting a precedent...the only precedent they set is that if anyone else drafts a risky player who has been suspended from his college team, has failed a dozen drug tests, and generally made a complete mess out of his life and career, then in that situation, you too, if you bear those traits, may have to sign an incentive based contract.

If he don't like it, then he too can join Tebow in Canada, or the Arena League or the new USFL.

Which he should if they decided to offer him that and they stuck to their guns. Don't want to pay the money, don't spend the draft pick. They deserve to lose the pick before low balling someone, regardless of what they did.

Clarett signed a four-year contract on July 28, 2005 with the Broncos in which he gave up $413,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal. He was a 3rd rounder also, it can happen if they so choose to. However it will only hurt his stock in the future. It will end up being something like a 4 year deal and if he is clean for 2 he will get something like a bonus that year. Because if they do not pay up and he stays clean, he will be gonzo after 4 years.

Which he should if they decided to offer him that and they stuck to their guns. Don't want to pay the money, don't spend the draft pick. They deserve to lose the pick before low balling someone, regardless of what they did.

If they play chicken with him I think I know who will blink.

Compare the salaries of the CFL/Arena/USFL. Annually probably what he would make in one week in the NFL.

If they play chicken with him I think I know who will blink.

Compare the salaries of the CFL/Arena/USFL. Annually probably what he would make in one week in the NFL.

Jenkins didn't blink last year, so why would he. Not to mention no team wants to waste their draft pick. The Cards are not going to risk letting their 3rd round pick walk for 500k worth of guarenteed money.

Jenkins didn't blink last year, so why would he. Not to mention no team wants to waste their draft pick. The Cards are not going to risk letting their 3rd round pick walk for 500k worth of guarenteed money.

You don't understand the Bidwill organization. Yes, they WILL risk it if they decide that is what they want to do.

Archived