THE BROWNS BOARD

Mascots

and to another one of your silly points you say that a belief system or an affectation is different than a racial characteristic? Fine. Seems to me some folks get outraged, sorry to use that word again, if some other folks mention fried chicken watermelon or make fun of ebonics.

so for you politically correct speech now excludes: creed and religion and focuses only on race. I understand.

Steve, this is embarrassing for you. If you want to do apples and oranges comparisons between perceived blasphemy and racial slurs, fine. But don't get all freaked out when someone points out that they're two different things and not analogous.

From there you misunderstand again, thinking that because they're not analogous I was making the case that one is fine and the other was not. No, I was making the case that they're not analogous.

And congrats - you got "outrage" and "politically correct" in one post. And so soon after I pointed out that you rely on buzzwords because you can't make an argument.

Well done, sir. You're on quiet a roll this morning.

Just argue the point. Stop obsessing about me, or liberals.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually you just barked something about the someplace someplace Jesus freaks. hence the Demon Deacons.

but your apples and oranges bit doesn't work (because what's good for the orange should also be good for the Apple, or something like that) nor is it about you. It's just about the people that make this a way of life.

everyone loves their time and this is a great way to get it, by pretending you're sticking up for somebody else's rights.

plus if anybody's obsessing over somebody... All I say is that something isn't offensive unless it's meant to be and I don't think the term Redskins is meant to offend anyone and you've taking that as a challenge.

I've never heard of anyone who finds that term offensive, never mind "really offensive." This is the best you can do? Come on. Get in the game.

And now I'm "barking." We're making "outrage" our "way of life." Just knock off your bullshit, man. Really. It's tiresome.

Picture me typing calmly in between assignments, if that helps you. Get off your low horse.

Looks like Heck can't take the heat of getting his ass kicked again.

Feel like a football in a punting contest, heckbunker? GGG

Haha actually I guess there's no point in going any further, I've said what I had to say.

Sorry I don't share your unhappiness or whatever word you choose.

But rest assured there are some hardcore Christians Who freak out about having fantasy books in the library, satanic witchcraft you know the drill. I figure Demon Deacons would piss them off but I'm sure you know better.

Anyway you and Woody keep up the good fight.

( But you did get nasty after I embarrassed you on the Dan Snyder revelation.)

WSS

Weird:

Should the Washington Redskins change their name? Political consultant Frank Luntz is looking into the question.

ThinkProgress reports that Luntz will conduct a focus group on Thursday “where it will pay participants $100 to share their opinions about the current state of America’s most popular professional sports league and the Washington Redskins, the NFL franchise embroiled in controversy and a federal trademark lawsuit involving its name.”

Five questions involve the Redskins, including, “Which of the following best reflects your opinion of the NFL team name ‘Washington Redskins’?” (options include “I find the name offensive and they should change it,” “I don’t find the name offensive and they should keep it as is”).

ThinkProgress says that neither Luntz nor the Redskins are responding to queries about their involvement in the group but it’s not Luntz’s first involvement in sports. As Deadspin has noted, Luntz has previously worked with the NHL and lists the NFL as among his clients.

Luntz is primarily known for his consulting on how political parties can tweak and shape language to best articulate their ideas.

The issue of the Redskins name has also been addressed by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who said in a letter to ten concerned members of Congress that the name is “a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect.” Goodell also said that the name, “from its origin represented a positive meaning distinct from any disparagement that could be viewed in some other context” and was not intended to “denigrate Native Americans or offend any group.”

The Redskins got a letter from 10 members of Congress telling them it was time to change it. I think that's what's prompted the latest round of debate.

yes I knew that, even though I don't know which Congress people they were, (I suppose I could look it up) I just didn't know who'd set the ball rolling. I doubt that Andrew Sullivan just thought of it independently. Probably doesn't matter I was just curious.

WSS

Tom Cole (R-Okla.), Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Raul M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Michael M. Honda (D-Calif.), Donna M. Christensen (D-Virgin Islands), Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-District of Columbia), Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa).

Archived