THE BROWNS BOARD

Mascots

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All kidding aside, I think the Native Americans have been shit on for decades. I've been to reservations in CA and AZ. Knew quite a few in the Navy also. Cool people. And not to stereotype, but if they get drunk, they do get crazy as hell, and that is no BS.

All kidding aside, I think the Native Americans have been shit on for decades. I've been to reservations in CA and AZ. Knew quite a few in the Navy also. Cool people. And not to stereotype, but if they get drunk, they do get crazy as hell, and that is no BS.

I don't know if they're being shit on though. They are American citizens, afforded the same rights and liberties of all citizens.

And like I said in an earlier post, most Indians don't live on reservations. Most have joined the rest of us...pehaps like the Navy guys you were talking about.

Deacons ? We're getting close! I was waiting for someone to come up with the following lame often used reasoning...

"where do we draw the line? Do we now change the name of the Lions because it offends cat lovers, and change Vikings because it offends Scandinavians, Padres because it offends religious people?"

The answer is ridiculously easy. You draw the line where names don't include a race or the ethnicity of a people...Vikings, Cowboys, Saints, or Padres aren't a race or ethnicity of people. Cat, Eagle and Bear lovers aren't a race of people.

You people so desperately try to create gray areas where there are none. You cry hypocrisy where there is none in order to validate your position. Its apples and oranges.

I loathe liberal ideology because it is mired in so much hypocrisy....and the only thing hypocritical here is that Redskins and Chief Wahoo is cool, whereas Blackskins and Black Sambo is a no no...sorry folks, I can't deal with hypocrisy, I am a conservative.

Hmm good thread topic... The hypocrisy that is Liberalism

Sure I'm not positive that its the particulars Zulu tribe that adorns themselves in that fashion but it is some tribes and somebody did mention the bone in the nose.

I didn't see the offense in the sombrero cartoon either.

WSS

Well I would guess its not entirely up to you to decide what a black person or Hispanic person finds offensive

Well I would guess its not entirely up to you to decide what a black person or Hispanic person finds offensive

yes that's true. But as I think I've tried to point out anybody can feel offended by just about anything. And it's always good as an attention getter. Everybody loves attention. Its a question of whether or not every American has a right to not be offended. for instance if I claimed I was actually offended by the Notre Dame belligerent leprechaun. wouldn't you advise me to just get over it? Or would you join me in the fight to have that logo banned?

WSS

I don't imagine you do.

The answer to your question, had it been framed correctly, is that it wouldn't matter. If it was a proper representation, and not just a racist caricature, like "Africans all put bones in their noses" then it'd be fine.

But again, no one here is claiming that an Indian in a headdress is offensive.

I don't imagine you do.

The answer to your question, had it been framed correctly, is that it wouldn't matter. If it was a proper representation, and not just a racist caricature, like "Africans all put bones in their noses" then it'd be fine.

But again, no one here is claiming that an Indian in a headdress is offensive.

facial adornments are reasonably common amongst the tribes. Also no one is saying that all Indians wear head dresses. Probably very few, only chiefs and such. But no I'm not offended by the Notre Dame leprechaun and you would call me an idiot if I pretended I was.

Retreat to arguments that don't work and aren't what we're talking about! Quick! Retreat!

It's not even an argument.

I've said what I meant to say and I don't believe it's wrong. You do. Or you don't but you can't resist being contrary.

But I'll repeat it anyway.

If its not meant as an insult, it isn't.

Also if you switch the races and it sounds stupid, it is stupid.

( And woody, don't make it so easy...)

WSS

It ran its course a few pages ago.

Now we're back to "Let's pretend we can't tell two unlike things apart."

"They don't like "Wetback." Next thing they'll be telling us you can't say Latino either!"

Eesh.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AwRP_QFoHsg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAwRP_QFoHsg

Bigot.

How dare you!!!!!?????

WSS

But I'll repeat it anyway.

If its not meant as an insult, it isn't.

Even you can't believe that.

So, let's go back to the "Houston Hooknoses" example. With the same logo of the Jew on the hat on page one.

Good with you? As long it's not meant as an insult, right? We're just noting certain differences.

And to your silly example:

Can you envision a situation in which the word hook nose was not meant in a derogatory manner?

You seem to agree that Redskins could be used in a non derogatory manner as most people do.

And is the term Jew offensive to you?

People are referred to by skin color all the time.

WSS

So you're saying reducing racial groups to their physical features is often offensive. Hmm.

One could argue, as you do, that simply pointing out something about a group's physical features, like their skin color, is not offensive in and of itself. So, let's keep playing. You didn't like "hook nose." Let's try simply "Nose."

The Nashville Noses. With that same hat from page one.

There. I must have allayed your concerns, have I not? What's wrong? It's not like there aren't variations in the shape and size of noses that are particular to Jews. I'm simply pointing it out. I don't mean anything derogatory by it. And we're not even mentioning Jews.

How about that one?

And to answer the question you asked, the term Jew can be used in a derogatory way, and can be used descriptively. It depends on the usage.

Ex: You could say, "No event in the 20th century had a greater impact on Jews than the Holocaust." No one is going to have a problem with that usage.

I don't suspect you're going to find anyone writing, "No event in the 15th century had a greater impact on Redskins than the arrival of Columbus."

"Redskins" has no modern day usage beyond the slur and the football team.

Archived