THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Campbell

Zombo

Cut to:

Three weeks from today, Weeden's performances range from terrible (Miami) to strong (Vikings), with a solid performance in Cincy and an average performance in Baltimore. Cleveland sits at 2-2, with wins over Cincy and Minnesota.

ZOMBO: I knew Weeden had the potential. I thought he could be our QB. I was just testing you guys to see who were true believers in Cleveland.

SHEP: passing offense

ZOMBO: Gordon's back, Gilkey has been a surprise stud, and our defense is playing well enough and actually getting some stops, which means we don't have to score 40 to win. Things are looking well.

GIPPER: good, z. I think you mean "things are looking good".

GIPPER: Who was the last QB to throw left handed, bowl right handed, eat spaghetti both handed, and be married to the daughter of a man with two other daughters, both born under the sign of the water spider? And how long was Ronald Reagan's dick?

ZOMBO: couldn't tell you, pal.

SHEP: pass rush

GHOOLIE: I play the accordion and the meat flute.

ZOMBO: hey, so let's fuck the bills this week, right? No 2-17 performance from our QB this time, right?

POETICG: hey are you guys talking about Trent Richardson?

HAHAHA this made me laugh so hard.... good shit my man LOL

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut to:

Three weeks from today, Weeden's performances range from terrible (Miami) to strong (Vikings), with a solid performance in Cincy and an average performance in Baltimore. Cleveland sits at 2-2, with wins over Cincy and Minnesota.

ZOMBO: I knew Weeden had the potential. I thought he could be our QB. I was just testing you guys to see who were true believers in Cleveland.

ZOMBO: Gordon's back, Gilkey has been a surprise stud, and our defense is playing well enough and actually getting some stops, which means we don't have to score 40 to win. Things are looking well.

GIPPER: Who was the last QB to throw left handed, bowl right handed, eat spaghetti both handed, and be married to the daughter of a man with two other daughters, both born under the sign of the water spider? And how long was Ronald Reagan's dick?

ZOMBO: hey, so let's fuck the bills this week, right? No 2-17 performance from our QB this time, right?

Brilliant,dude!

Jason Campbell has a decent throwing arm but is very inaccurate throwing it down the field. I don't think Weeden really lost thay game for us considering what was happening around him. Did you watch Campbell last year when Cutler went down? Their offense turned into a Colt McCoy offense. He checked down nonstop and never made plays down the field. Its very hard to win that way as we all know and its very frustrating to watch. If were gonna lose lets go down guns blazing with chances for big plays. Weeden will be better when Gordon comes back and they figure something out on the OLine.

I won't judge what passes for brilliant on a sports board. I've been around long enough to know better (!). So, uh... yay!

But not to get all nuance-ey, but my reason for going with Campbell isn't about Campbell's awesomeness, and it isn't right now. The issue, and it isn't really controversial or polarizing, is that Weeden 2013 Shotgun Style! looked a lot like Weeden 2012. Yes, for one game. As Justin Higdon said, he's all but admitted he decides in the huddle who he's throwing to. In other words, the slow eyes aren't even attempting to read the defense at the line, pre or post snap. He's just slingin' it, to use his own phrase.

Will that change between weeks one and two? Two and three? Maybe. Not sure why that makes a lot of sense but I'd be thrilled if it played out that way. As LaCanfora put it, he just doesn't seem to "feel" the game, doesn't know when to take a shot and when to check down. He seems to lack "IT."

No, my reason for going with Campbell in week five or six is that he makes sense next year for a team almost certain to do whatever it takes to get into the Top Five to get their long-term answer at quarterback in a league that's changing at an alarming rate, almost hyper-speed. The mobile QBs seem to be rising (RG3 and Luck and even in this last draft, Manuel and Smith) while Weeden types (Mallett, Glennon, Foles, etc.) are dropping. In recent drafts, Weeden actually looks like an outlier.

Campbell can be a valuable, quality backup and mentor for five years to a guy like Tajh Boyd. Weeden can't. So to make sense as even a week five or six starter, Weeds has to seriously pick up the pace of his eyes, his reads, all of it. Since he isn't mobile he has to be a fast processor like Brady, Manning, and Brees. He does NOT look like that kind of guy.

Cut to:

I suspect that certain members who spend their time on the polical board could tell you that...considering that they seem to suck on it enough.

I on the other hand might likely ask something like: Who was the last QB to lead the Browns to a championship....and you would probably not know the answer.

Cut to:

I suspect that certain members who spend their time on the polical board could tell you that...considering that they seem to suck on it enough.

I on the other hand might likely ask something like: Who was the last QB to lead the Browns to a championship....and you would probably not know the answer.

Frank Ryan.

That list is short, but sweet. I may not know any other your other questions, but that one was simple.

Browns fans, I feel your pain, I really do. But, you guys have to go forward with Weeden this season. Trust me when I tell you, Campbell will not be an answer for anything. Jason Campbell is the definition of mediocrity. I could not stand him in Washington. He was captain checkdown. He was Mr. "average," he never gave the team a spark. He never took chances. But, worst of all, he had absolutely NO heart. The guy could care less whether we won or lost. There were reports out of the locker room of anonymous players being quoted as saying "Win or lose Jason just sits at his locker and packs his stuff listening to music, he shows absolutely no emotion." Trust me, he just isnt good.

I think a lot of you guys are kinda over-reacting a tad. Weedens a 2nd year QB, this coaching staff is in its 1st year and this was their first game against a tough defense (dolphins still suck). The thing is, give it another couple weeks before you guys start crucifying all of them. I TRULY feel Chud is one of the best minds in football, and that he can turn your team around. Norv is a great O Coordinator, just a bad head coach, but they will get it together. Weeden looks really good sometimes, and really bad other times. If he can learn to control his eyes, and try to trust his system a little more, I think hed be ok. But again, that takes time. Dont give up on the guy just yet, and trust me I hated the Weeden pick, but I dont feel hes as bad as a lot of people do, I think he can sling it, and I think he can do it with a clean pocket. When Brunell became a Redskin he was terrible for a full season and a half, and then Joe Gibbs realized that he was bad because he wasnt good under pressure, so Gibbs tweaked the offense and gave Brunell max protect sets and Brunell had an almost pro bowl year and led us to the playoffs after Gibbs did that. I think if Chud/Norv can just try out a max protect for Weeden, he would feel more comfortable. Let him play a lot in shotgun, give him max protect and let him show what he can do with some time.

But, DONT put Campbell in, you guys will get so frustrated, trust me. The guy misses open receivers, hes scared to throw deep, and he looks like Lionel Ritchie. Jason Campbell will be Colt McCoy with a little better of an arm.

Dont give up yet guys.

dude Seriosly??? This is Cleveland. If a Qb isn't lightning up the scoreboards in 10 qrts of play he's a loser. That fact we have not found a worthy qb since we been back with ALL THUS TALENT around is just bad luck...

And don't bring up 07 to me we had a 1000 yrd back, stud TE, 1000 yrd Wr, a very solid Oline that stayed healthy DA in his prime. And oh yea its not like Joe Jurivisious didn't put it all together or anything. We needed DA or BQ to step up with the much improved 08 team or nothin.

The guy on the bench is and will always be the Town Hero so quit ur bullshit.

Cut to:

classic

dude Seriosly??? This is Cleveland. If a Qb isn't lightning up the scoreboards in 10 qrts of play he's a loser. That fact we have not found a worthy qb since we been back with ALL THUS TALENT around is just bad luck...

And don't bring up 07 to me we had a 1000 yrd back, stud TE, 1000 yrd Wr, a very solid Oline that stayed healthy DA in his prime. And oh yea its not like Joe Jurivisious didn't put it all together or anything. We needed DA or BQ to step up with the much improved 08 team or nothin.

The guy on the bench is and will always be the Town Hero so quit ur bullshit.

I never said anything about Browns 2007 team?

All I said was Campbell is an absolute joke. I watched him every single game for years in DC, theres a reason why after Campbell got hurt in 2007, and Todd Collins, a 35 year old back up, came in and lead us to the playoffs on a 6 game win streak. Campbell has no fire, no drive, no competeitiveness. But, more than anything, Campbell is just not that good.

I now officially admit to having no clue what you were or are saying. So I'm indeed not very clever and also missed the brilliance of the original "riff." But like I said, "brilliance" on a sports board has always been about somebody saying something that supports what you already chose to believe... or attacking someone you've decided you don't like.

Since we've been reminiscing, we used to poke a lot of fun at the rah-rah posts that were almost never deserved (!). Tradition!

(And... it's a pass the ball and rush the passer league. BAM!)

Maybe you aren't as clever as you think.

I liked it because it is undoubtedly exactly what the reply was going to contain.

You have to understand, we're building a team here. We started with the backups 1st to build a foundation. We'll get to the starters next year. You have to be able to lose well before you can win. It's all part of the plan. We got nothin but time on our hands.

You have to understand, we're building a team here. We started with the backups 1st to build a foundation. We'll get to the starters next year. You have to be able to lose well before you can win. It's all part of the plan. We got nothin but time on our hands.

We say the same damn thing year in...year out...I'm frankly tired of it...

Yes, it was the worse performance of a RG I have ever seen.

But Campbell has all of the arm of Weeden with more mobility and more experience.

Sorry ... but i am calling for Weeden's head.

Zombo

Who was worse, Cousins or Pashos?

Who was worse, Cousins or Pashos?

Cousins, because Pashos was a gimp who was trying his ass off but just couldn't play anymore.

Cousins combined mental errors, laziness, unfamiliarity with a position AND poor execution to form the perfect storm of suckitude.

Still wondering what was so horribly wrong with John Moffitt, who wasn't good enough to make our roster, but made the Broncos "49 points against the SB champions" roster.

And then, to rub salt in the wounds, we cut the player we traded for him anyway ... so why not just go through with the trade?

Zombo

Yeah... good question. What's up with Lavaman and Pinky? Where are they?

Yeah... good question. What's up with Lavaman and Pinky? Where are they?

Pinky's out until at least mid season.

Lava Lamp isn't practicing yet.

Injury report for Sept. 12, 2013

Browns

Did not participate in practice: Guard Shawn Lauvao (high ankle sprain) and defensive end Ahtyba Rubin (calf). Limited participation: Strong safety T.J. Ward (shoulder) and wide receiver Travis Benjamin (thigh). Full participation: Cornerback Buster Skrine (shoulder) and outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo (bruised lung).

Ravens

Ruled out: Wide receiver Jacoby Jones (knee). Did not participate in practice: Center Ryan Jensen (foot), wide receiver Deonte Thompson (foot) and defensive tackle Brandon Williams (toe).Limited participation: Defensive tackle Art Jones (illness) and running back Bernard Pierce (thigh). Full participation: Offensive tackle Michael Oher (ankle).

Cut to:

Professor Frank Ryan. In nineteen dickety-doo.

If you think Jason Campbell is the answer to our issues you either need to drink a LOT more or a LOT less. Want a good example of how shitty receivers screw a QB? Watch last weeks Patriots / Jets game. Then imagine that game if you took the Pats right tackle and guard and sat them on the bench and left that right side open. How well would Brady do? I am not calling Weeden a Brady caliper QB by any stretch. I am simply saying you need to understand the whole picture.

Ok, heres my take. I've watched both games numerous times and taken pictures with my phone on certain plays paused. When i get more time i will break down these plays with some football 101. After the first game i realized Weeden just isn't going to cut it, he learned nothing from last season. His rocket arm got him by in college but you need more than that in the NFL.

First and formost Weeden rarely ever leads his receivers. In the first two games i can count on one hand how many times he threw while the receiver broke his route to hit him in stride and make a perfect throw. The one guy it was with on 3 out of the 5 of Weeds best throws was Cameron.

Theres a reason these guys drop so many passes by Weeden. He either throws behind the WR or directly at him which means in man to man coverage the WR is blanketed. However if you lead the WR he can get out in front of the defender and make the catch. You see this with great QB's like Manning who drops the ball in a perfect spot by leading his WRs.

My biggest and most prominent concern with Weeden is he cant read defenses and stares down one WR or just one side of the field. Theres been 10 or more cases that i've documented in the first two games where Weeden doesn't even look at the other side of the field or when he is being blitzed and in the face of pressure drop it off to his hot route in stride. This is very concerning because it means that Weeden is FUCKING STUPID if he hasn't started to grasp this yet!

J Campbell is not the long term solution, but is the best Qb on this roster. He is a serviceable QB who can make all the throws, he's shown a propensity to be accurate in the NFL with an 82.4 QB rating, 76 TD's to 52 Int's in 7 seasons in the NFL.

Weeden is not the future and with the defense this team is fielding i believe we can compete with anyone in the AFC North and dare I say win the division with some decent offensive play. If this regime wants to take a year in where the Steelers are awful, The Ravens are subpar and the Bengals will shoot themselves in the foot then they have no business running this team. THE TIME IS NOW!

First and formost Weeden rarely ever leads his receivers. In the first two games i can count on one hand how many times he threw while the receiver broke his route to hit him in stride and make a perfect throw. The one guy it was with on 3 out of the 5 of Weeds best throws was Cameron.

Theres a reason these guys drop so many passes by Weeden. He either throws behind the WR or directly at him which means in man to man coverage the WR is blanketed. However if you lead the WR he can get out in front of the defender and make the catch. You see this with great QB's like Manning who drops the ball in a perfect spot by leading his WRs.

Welcome to the Club...

The top QB's do things to protect their WRs the vast majority of the time. The things include looking off Safties and LBs, throwing on time and, as you point out, leading their WRs... often also throwing low so the WR gets below potential on-coming hits. The result is that their WRs trust them and make the effort on the rare occassion that the throw puts them in harms way.

Wheezy seems unable to do the above... and most often throws late and high to WRs he has looked at the entire route.

I do disagree on Campbell... but we'll leave that for another time.

Archived