THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

go look at the seattle seahawks backfield and then get back to me. we've got one shut down corner (drafted one that hasn't even touched the field) a couple of decent safeties but in this 'pass happy' league that everyone swears by these days i doubt if skrine could hang with anyone's LEGIT number 2, god forbid atlanta's wideouts.

might want to get your eyes checked.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard Sherman is a 5th round pick. Browner... UDFA?

I'm in. My point was that you don't pick your #2 corner in the first round. Shit value. But we agree we could use some size at corner.

But when you're ranked 9th in opposing PR... you can't win a lot more games by improving your #2 corner. Maybe .25?

David Fales came up in another thread as a guy you might get in round 3 if Hoyer plays really well this season. Arm talent sure as hell is there, although not a bazooka. Some have him in round 4 right now but I think he'll rise, maybe even to round 2. Good size (6'2", 220), very accurate, above average mobility. Said to be very smart. Kinda reminds me of, uh... Brian Hoyer.

Caught 4Q of Hundley tonite after our win over Buffalo...

UCLA was at Utah...

Hundley's a running QB and therefor off of my list...

What little throwing I saw from him was not impressive...

Time to do a mock draft:

JAC= Bridgewater

OAK= Mariota (following their trend of picking mobile QBs)

STL= Boyd (assuming Bradford outstays his welcome)

PIT= any non-skill position player

AZ= Hundley (depends on whether AZ wants to look past Palmer yet or build upon their O-line)

PHI= Watkins (wouldn't be shocked if Coach No-Huddle & Owner I-Want-Stars drafted Manziel, lol)

MIN= Evans (assuming Cassel doesn't implode like Ponder)

NYJ= Lee (Rodgers would look bad with the Jets' WR corps!)

I think CLE will have the next pick. Given that all the projected 1st-round QBs will be gone by then, they will probably draft an OLB, either Barr or Mosley. With IND's pick, CLE will pick up the best O-linemen available. In the 2nd round, they could either trade up for Manziel (let us hope Lomard doesn't!) or pick up Mettenberger or Carr.

Whoa, easy there! And that comes from a noted QB nut.

Oakland loves Terrelle Pryor. They won't draft a QB that high. I kinda doubt Arizona will go that high when Palmer's got several years left in him. But I do think they could draft one at the top of round 2.

I struggle to see St. Louis go QB that high with Bradford only in year... three? But I know where you're coming from. He doesn't look good at all. Just hard to pull the trigger on that one.

OLB is pretty much our deepest position so that guy would become the first top 10 pick to be inactive every week! If we didn't go QB in round 1 after a trade-up (both will happen), I'd look at WR, RG, CB, and RB (with Indy's pick) before another OLB.

Time to do a mock draft:

JAC= Bridgewater

OAK= Mariota (following their trend of picking mobile QBs)

STL= Boyd (assuming Bradford outstays his welcome)

PIT= any non-skill position player

AZ= Hundley (depends on whether AZ wants to look past Palmer yet or build upon their O-line)

PHI= Watkins (wouldn't be shocked if Coach No-Huddle & Owner I-Want-Stars drafted Manziel, lol)

MIN= Evans (assuming Cassel doesn't implode like Ponder)

NYJ= Lee (Rodgers would look bad with the Jets' WR corps!)

I think CLE will have the next pick. Given that all the projected 1st-round QBs will be gone by then, they will probably draft an OLB, either Barr or Mosley. With IND's pick, CLE will pick up the best O-linemen available. In the 2nd round, they could either trade up for Manziel (let us hope Lomard doesn't!) or pick up Mettenberger or Carr.

Richard Sherman is a 5th round pick. Browner... UDFA?

I'm in. My point was that you don't pick your #2 corner in the first round. Shit value. But we agree we could use some size at corner.

But when you're ranked 9th in opposing PR... you can't win a lot more games by improving your #2 corner. Maybe .25?

What does that matter, those guys are an exception not the rule. Just because Seattle picked up a couple no-names that ended up being great doesn't mean corners are a dime a dozen.

What does that matter, those guys are an exception not the rule. Just because Seattle picked up a couple no-names that ended up being great doesn't mean corners are a dime a dozen.

Skrine looks pretty good and he was what a 5th rounder? We don't need a world beater #2 so those guys are much easier (and cheaper) to find later in the draft.

No one would want Buster Skrine as their long term #2 corner. He's a scrappy nickel corner and everyone knows it, we drafted Joe in the 1st round and he very well may be the best corner in the league so idk what you're getting at.

1st rounder - great

5th rounder - passable

I don't even want to spend a 1st on a corner, but we should address it either in FA or the 1st 3 rounds.

I'm comfortable with Skrine anywhere on the field. CB1, CB2, Nickel, Free Safety, Run support, Blitzing the QB... Whatever, this kid can FLY>

I wonder who is faster... Travis Benjamin or Buster Skrine?

No one would want Buster Skrine as their long term #2 corner. He's a scrappy nickel corner and everyone knows it, we drafted Joe in the 1st round and he very well may be the best corner in the league so idk what you're getting at.

1st rounder - great

5th rounder - passable

I don't even want to spend a 1st on a corner, but we should address it either in FA or the 1st 3 rounds.

yes. doesn't have to be our first pick nor the second. i really hope we don't get into this QB shit storm that everyone believes is so fucking great.

please fix the right side of the OL. pleez. get another true corner. another big boy WR/TE hybrid. i don't care in what order these guys get drafted. i don't care if they get addressed in FA.

what i do care about and would drive me right through a plaster wall is having all these great options with the number of picks we have and to piss away a bunch of those for some QB who is the next best thing since RG3.

Yeah, -1 thumbs down on trading up to get the first pick to grab a QB.

If we are DEAD SET on drafting QB with our first pick that's fine, but let the QB come to us. Don't reach like we did for Weeden. I don't want to get back into it because it was years ago but when we took Weeden there was virtually NOBODY coming to get him. He would have been lucky to get Drafted. Being 28/29 years old alone. In this day and age you want a QB in their early 20's to develop and develop and develop. Not a 30 years old Rookie with bad habits ingrained into his being.

I stand by the Richardson pick. He's a beast and we could sure the fuck use him right now. Willy did good last night, he did good, I'll give him that. But the cat is on his 7th life, yo...

We need a CB, OG, RB, WR/TE, QB in this next draft. And God please help us get a REAL FULL BACK... It almost literally took us 9 fucking tries to punch it in within 5 fucking yards. Wow.

Yeah, -1 thumbs down on trading up to get the first pick to grab a QB.

If we are DEAD SET on drafting QB with our first pick that's fine, but let the QB come to us. Don't reach like we did for Weeden. I don't want to get back into it because it was years ago but when we took Weeden there was virtually NOBODY coming to get him. He would have been lucky to get Drafted. Being 28/29 years old alone. In this day and age you want a QB in their early 20's to develop and develop and develop. Not a 30 years old Rookie with bad habits ingrained into his being.

I stand by the Richardson pick. He's a beast and we could sure the fuck use him right now. Willy did good last night, he did good, I'll give him that. But the cat is on his 7th life, yo...

We need a CB, OG, RB, WR/TE, QB in this next draft. And God please help us get a REAL FULL BACK... It almost literally took us 9 fucking tries to punch it in within 5 fucking yards. Wow.

wow Po. well thought out post. agree 100%.

Nobody in the NFL "let's a quarterback come to them." Nobody. Wrong league, wrong era.

And Skrine is ripping it up. He played a great game Sunday.

don't get it.

you are the official proponent that WE HAVE to draft one of these guys next year. and i have read all of your posts and agree with a lot of what you have to say BUT if the next year's crop of QBs are as deep as what you have stated then if we are picking #6 and 3 of the teams ahead of us don't draft a QB, then why wouldn't you let the QB fall into your lap? i mean they are all so good right? so it shouldn't make a difference, correct?

don't get it.

you are the official proponent that WE HAVE to draft one of these guys next year. and i have read all of your posts and agree with a lot of what you have to say BUT if the next year's crop of QBs are as deep as what you have stated then if we are picking #6 and 3 of the teams ahead of us don't draft a QB, then why wouldn't you let the QB fall into your lap? i mean they are all so good right? so it shouldn't make a difference, correct?

After the seasons over you review tape, go to the combine, go to the pro days, figure out which guy gives you a chub and do what it takes to get him.

don't get it.

Yup, some of the Browns (or other teams) trade ups have stunk to high heaven. Our reaches for Brady Quinn and Weezer the Geezer were monumentally bad. No one else was taking Brandon in the first round. I doubt with 20\20 hindsight the Deadskins would have given up 3 firsts and a second for RG III.

Hoyer certainly is the X Factor in all this talk. If the FO has enough tape on him to think he just might be the long term answer, AND if the qb class is as deep as advertized, there's no reason to throw away our banked picks to roll the dice on a prospect- again. BTW, Griffin was injured months later in the season than Hoyer- so Brian does have enough lead time to recover. :)

You can't predict how a player is going to recover from an ACL- RG III & Palmer aren't the same (Palmer may never be) but it didn't seem to affect Brady all that much. Does that justify the Browns doing a Griffin like draft giveaway on a prospect? Not in my book.

PS AJ McCarron is Colt McCoy II in my book, haven't watched enough of the others to form an opinion.

Aaron Murray's shooting up boards now. What do we think of him? I honestly don't have an opinion yet. He looked good in both games I saw this year but I didn't watch the entire games and his arm looked just a little above Dalton.

Murray looks "gunslingerish" to my eye... not in a good way.

Again for a Defense oriented team, I like McCarron... especially vs. any gunslinger.

I'm comfortable with Skrine anywhere on the field. CB1, CB2, Nickel, Free Safety, Run support, Blitzing the QB... Whatever, this kid can FLY>

Certainly has been a lot more comfy after his showings in the last 2 games.

Yeah, -1 thumbs down on trading up to get the first pick to grab a QB. If we are DEAD SET on drafting QB with our first pick that's fine, but let the QB come to us. Don't reach like we did for Weeden.

Agree on QB reaching... #1's need to come with a money back guararntee... or as close as you can get to one.

Busts come in many forms...

Good ones may be a hit away from the "what could have been" bin of history...

Goal line unit has a couple big FBs to chose from... Winn would be my first choice, but Kruger or Sheard are also candidates.

Nobody in the NFL "let's a quarterback come to them." Nobody. Wrong league, wrong era.

And Skrine is ripping it up. He played a great game Sunday.

Indy did... :)

Green Bay did...

NE did...

Seattle just did...

SF just did... twice...

Many do...

Just do it...

Agree on Skrine... he has upped his play considerably since last year.

Yup, some of the Browns (or other teams) trade ups have stunk to high heaven. Our reaches for Brady Quinn and Weezer the Geezer were monumentally bad.

PS AJ McCarron is Colt McCoy II in my book, haven't watched enough of the others to form an opinion.

1. That's Wheezy the Gheezy... :)

2. I'm convinced that if you want a "game manager" type QB (as a defensively oriented team might), then McCarron would be a worthy pick.

Valid point, Mik. But you get the very best you can get at QB or you shouldn't be in personnel because you don't understand the league you play in.

The point of the depth is that we can trade up to #5 or so and still get a potentially elite QB in Mariota or Boyd or whomever Chorv loves best. Not true last year. I think they'll want a guy who can move but be disciplined not to take off all the time. Boyd is the best example of that. He really doesn't run all that much but can.

And he has a great release, a cannon, and a reputation as being a great teammate and leader. He's on at 12:30 Pacific (3:30 y'all).

don't get it.

see i'm not a college football freak like a lot of my friends are (mostly all SEC) so i know about murray and of course the big ten. i couldn't name a QB right now after what 4 games that has been mr. highlight. i know ohio st. has 2 great QBs.

i know you are a cali guy so you must be pac 10 (12?) guy. i'm just scared of any QB that comes out of that conference, russell wilson being the current exception. big 12, no thanks, we already got one of those dummies. so when people throw names at me like boyd and bridgwater after 4 games and even TCPO is talking about guys that aren't even eligible yet, i just gotta scratch my head.

see i'm not a college football freak like a lot of my friends are (mostly all SEC) so i know about murray and of course the big ten. i couldn't name a QB right now after what 4 games that has been mr. highlight. i know ohio st. has 2 great QBs.

i know you are a cali guy so you must be pac 10 (12?) guy. i'm just scared of any QB that comes out of that conference, russell wilson being the current exception. big 12, no thanks, we already got one of those dummies. so when people throw names at me like boyd and bridgwater after 4 games and even TCPO is talking about guys that aren't even eligible yet, i just gotta scratch my head.

Russell Wilson was an ACC and Big Ten player.

Jameis Winston 6'4 230 Redshirt Freshman FSU

Through his first five games:

73.6% Comp 1441 yards 17 TD 2 INT

He's been amazing so far. Granted, he's playing in the ACC. But, then again, so is Boyd.

Could be the #1 pick in a year or two.

Russell Wilson was an ACC and Big Ten player.

you're right. sometimes ya gotta forgive me when i have these huge brain farts. rusell wilson plays for seattle and i automatically thought of the ducks for some reason................uniforms maybe?

he played for wisconsin?

Yup, some of the Browns (or other teams) trade ups have stunk to high heaven. Our reaches for Brady Quinn and Weezer the Geezer were monumentally bad. No one else was taking Brandon in the first round. I doubt with 20\20 hindsight the Deadskins would have given up 3 firsts and a second for RG III.

Hoyer certainly is the X Factor in all this talk. If the FO has enough tape on him to think he just might be the long term answer, AND if the qb class is as deep as advertized, there's no reason to throw away our banked picks to roll the dice on a prospect- again. BTW, Griffin was injured months later in the season than Hoyer- so Brian does have enough lead time to recover. :)

You can't predict how a player is going to recover from an ACL- RG III & Palmer aren't the same (Palmer may never be) but it didn't seem to affect Brady all that much. Does that justify the Browns doing a Griffin like draft giveaway on a prospect? Not in my book.

AJ McCarron has a decent arm, and elite mechanics to boot. He's not spectacular but he belongs in the NFL, he could excel on a team as a game manager.

you're right. sometimes ya gotta forgive me when i have these huge brain farts. rusell wilson plays for seattle and i automatically thought of the ducks for some reason................uniforms maybe?

he played for wisconsin?

Haha. Yep, he played three seasons at NC State and transfered to Wisconsin after a disagreement with his head coach about Wilson playing baseball also.

AJ McCarron has a decent arm, and elite mechanics to boot. He's not spectacular but he belongs in the NFL, he could excel on a team as a game manager.

I'm pretty sure people said the same things about McElroy. I want no part of mcCarron in the first two rounds.

Archived