THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

out of watching these qbs since hearing the discussion of us having to draft ANOTHER 'franchise' QB i'd have to say i'm most impressed with mariota from oregon. even though i was impressed with what johnny football did yesterday, mariota has got skills. major skills.

Who even said Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, or Hundley are even going to enter the draft this year? Bridgewater is a junior, and the rest are RS Sophomores.

I think they are going to come out because they don't want to risk what happened to Matt Barkley. They don't want to come back for another year in CFB and risk injury or a bad season to hurt their draft status.

Well, a few things: First, are you saying I was a DA fan? I wasn't. I was a Quinn Queer or whatever we called it. Actually, you squeezed so much wrong into a brief post, I'll have to use numbers:

1. Boyd slower than DA anywhere, including the pocket, makes no sense. I'm not even sure how to respond.

2. I don't know if it was you, but somebody wrote here that they watched Mariota yesterday and were "meh." Uh, while he was going 24 of 31 for 366 and 3/0 plus 88 yards rushing and a TD. Against a D that had allowed 2 passing TDs all season. I assume that person was kidding about actually watching the game and didn't get a chance to glance at the highlights or box score either (!).

3. Quality starting quarterbacks aren't Yeti. They come out every year. Last year was a "bad" QB draft but it's produced two day one starters. The Jets are 3-2 with Geno and he just had a breakout game. Manuel was playing excellent football until he was hurt. Neither one of those teams has any regrets about the picks. A few other teams regret NOT picking them, though.

4. This is a better QB draft and more likely to have 5, even 6 guys picked in the first 35 or so. The only think holding them back is there aren't that many teams looking. Oakland loves Pryor and he's showing a serious growth arc (like Geno). Tennessee loves Locker. While Pittsburgh and Arizona could indeed draft QBs, they have the luxury of developing them so it won't be in round one. Maybe two but not one. Vikings signed Freeman so we'll see how that goes.

As far as the teams likely to go QB in the top 10, it's Jax, TB, Cleveland.

5. I won't throw a hissy of any kind if the Browns don't draft a quarterback... because this brass knows full well and expresses it almost daily: It's a quarterback league and everything else on the agenda falls miles below finding a great one or one that can become great. So it'll mean they found him some other way. I would keep the name Nick Foles in mind. I was shocked he went so low (round 3) and now it has a lot of people scratching their heads. Would Chip alter his world view for Foles? I doubt it... but anywhere else, he's a legit NFL starter.

6. BUT... as Grossi wrote just today, the Richardson trade was more about Weeden. Granted, it happened before Hoyer... which happened before Hoyer blew out his knee before he had time to prove very much. The Browns traded Trent to make sure they got a "franchise quarterback" in the next draft. Same reason they addd third and fourth round picks. I think there's literally a 97.7% chance we draft a quarterback as our highest pick.

7. You got a mean streak on you, pal. Never makes life easier or more fun but that's up to you.

I gotta remember to bookmark this page so when we trade our 2nd and 3rd picks to move up and take boyd and he turns out to be dumber and slower in the pocket than the biggest DA fan in the world (shep) we can just blast it in his face everyday.

yet again i hope he's right. who cares about who's right and wrong just as long as the browns are winning.

HEY we might not even pick QB next year. i think shep would go through the ceiling if that happened.

I know, most of them probably will, I was just playing devils advocate. However, I do think mariota will stay in college. Just a gut feeling, could be wrong. This is an interesting draft because there are so many quality qbs, yet not many teams looking for one (at least in the first two rounds) To ad my opinion, I really like Mariota too.. He's accurate and his speed is UNREAL. But, I have yet to see an Oregon qb thrive in the nfl, but I think mariota would thrive in Philly. Don't be surprised to see him go there if he declares for the draft.

I've watched bridgewater and he is special, but I don't see him coming in and excelling right away(unlike Andrew luck who turned a 2-14 team into a playoff team) especially in Jacksonville. To me, Tajh Boyd and Brett Hundley are very similar. They both are big and mobile, and throw a really pretty deep ball. I think Boyd > Hundley but Boyd has 2 years on him. As for Manziel, he's the real intriguing guy. I could see someone reaching for him in the first, or see him falling all the way to the 4th or 5th. Theres no denying his talent, and if you're looking for a quarterback who has "it" this is your guy. Watch this guy play a game an you just can't deny he has some magic to him. If he doesn't become a prima Donna, he will be special in the league,VERY special. It's all about who's willing to take the risk.

I don't like Zach mettenberger at all, reminds me of weeden and DA. If you watch his videos he stares down one receiver every time, waits until their open, and is late on so many throws. Sound familiar? I firmly believe if Hoyer never got injured we'd go 10-6 and lose to the Broncos in the AFC Championship. But, shit happens. I still think Hoyer will win the starting job next year, and our new rookie qb will sit and learn for a couple years. Hoyer will be a great mentor for a young qb.

I think the best player to learn from Hoyer would be bridgewater, because their games are similar, with bridgewater having more natural ability. But they are both not the biggest guys, are mobile but won't kill you with their speed, and have the brain needed to succeed. Don't be surprised though if we take Boyd if he's there, Chud loves big armed mobile qbs. I think Boyd would succeed in this offense. Just my opinion on the qbs. I have yet to check out Carr or Murray, but heard Murray is breaking all kinds of records at UGA. But for now, Weeden is our guy so lets get behind him, and see what we can do.

Totally true. Agents are going to tell QBs to come out if they get a top 20 grade, period.

I think they are going to come out because they don't want to risk what happened to Matt Barkley. They don't want to come back for another year in CFB and risk injury or a bad season to hurt their draft status.

I'm a Boyd fanatic. Love the quick release and big arm... and like Bridgewater, he's a locker room plus and a natural leader. Great teammate. Can move but is a passer first and foremost.

Mariota's intriguing because he seems a little freaky in the combo department and has height. To be that fast and throw that well is really rare. I do worry about Duck QBs... and the dream match seems to be Philly. I could see them trading up to get him and then trading Nick Foles (off a very good year) to someone like the Browns, Bucs, or Jags. Browns have the luxury of two #1s.

In fact, I think Foles might be the only guy who would stop the Browns from drafting a QB #1. They could get him with their second first round pick. Don't doubt the price tag. You'll see. Kid is way more mobile and athletic than his 40 time suggests. Huge with an NFL arm and a natural feel for the game.

For what it's worth, David Fales is the draftable QB who reminds me most of Hoyer. I think he'll go round 3-ish.

For a national perspective, the CBS guys say Mariota passed a huge test yesterday and is similar to Kaepernick but more advanced at this point in his career. That screams top 10... and they have him at #2 and #7.

The Browns would draft 13th right now and would have to trade up to get Boyd.

Adoug, please use the enter key once in a while...

If the Browns have the 14th and 24th picks in the first round, they also have an extra 3rd round pick. Those three can get you up around #5-ish... and they'll still pick in every round.

Barring any compettivie offers might move as high as 4th with that 1/1/3 package, but it ignores interest from other teams.

PIT: might be looking into a Big Ben-less future

OAK: Flynn tanked, Pryor might tank too

TEN: wouldn't shock me, if Locker has some serious long term effects

Plus, you forgot AZ and MIN.

Agree on first 3...

- PTG could pull trigger if guy is there they'd like to succeed Ben.

- OAK may love Aaron, and he has surprised me, but honest appraisal should see limited upside from here with Kaepernick like 2nd year success...

- TN situation is similar to ours.... Locker has more game experience than Hoyer, but as with Brian he really just started showing potential to be "the guy" when he got hurt.

AZ and MN are far less likely, unless they really like one of the QB's coming out and/or their circumstance changes dramatically in next 3 months.

My point is that a lot of those teams won't draft top 10... and those who do won't draft a quarterback there when they won't need a a starter for a few years. You draft that guy in round 2 or 3, like an Osweiler. You don't wanna spend a high pick on a quarterback who sits behind your guy for 3 years and starts only in his contract year. Or worse, never starts.

More likely Arizona than Pittsburgh. Although didn't the Steelers draft the Miami of Ohio kid last year in round 4? Arizona might take Carr in 2 or something like that, let him learn for a year or two behind Palmer.

Today, no team is really more quarterback starved than the Browns. Their draft slot will move up over the next month with a brutal schedule.

I think it is safe to say that this thread is going to be very active for about another 6 months...

Watched a good chunk of Boyd this weekend. Threw two very nice deep balls to fairly well covered WRs. One negated by penalty, the other for TD... Otherwise a lot of short stuff, but kid looked decisive. One play was made to at least his third option. Still don't like to see him running, but seems to be secondary mode. I'm warming to him...

Also caught some Hundley... honestly reminded me of Wheezy. Locking onto first option... starring them down. Difference is he can pull ball down and take off... something that gives me zero comfort.

Did not see any Bridegewater, but heard some commentators saying he lost the Heisman this weekend.

I think it is safe to say that this thread is going to be very active for about another 6 months...

Watched a good chunk of Boyd this weekend. Threw two very nice deep balls to fairly well covered WRs. One negated by penalty, the other for TD... Otherwise a lot of short stuff, but kid looked decisive. One play was made to at least his third option. Still don't like to see him running, but seems to be secondary mode. I'm warming to him...

Also caught some Hundley... honestly reminded me of Wheezy. Locking onto first option... starring them down. Difference is he can pull ball down and take off... something that gives me zero comfort.

Did not see any Bridegewater, but heard some commentators saying he lost the Heisman this weekend.

He threw for over 300 yards with multiple TDs. I don't understand why everyone thinks Bridgewater had such a bad game.

Oh and almost forgot...

As mik mentioned earlier, Manziel is growing on me. Watched him vs. Ms St. last night and there is something there.

Patience... read progressions... decision making... and more than enough arm.

But what got me was the kid (ball boy? coaches son?) that joined him in kneeling and hand holding during the winning FG attempt. Can't fake that kind of magnetism. Smacks of leadership...

As I watched him I started thinking about Russel Wilson...

Still do not like running QB's, but...

Oh and almost forgot...

As mik mentioned earlier, Manziel is growing on me. Watched him vs. Ms St. last night and there is something there.

Patience... read progressions... decision making... and more than enough arm.

But what got me was the kid (ball boy? coaches son?) that joined him in kneeling and hand holding during the winning FG attempt. Can't fake that kind of magnetism. Smacks of leadership...

As I watched him I started thinking about Russel Wilson...

Still do not like running QB's, but...

I thought I was the only one here that liked/want's Manziel...I really think not only does the kid have star power...I really think...that if he plays his cards right could be a great imfluence on this team with his type of swagger...Seems to have the I.Q. necessarry...its just...will "everything else" between his ears catchup/lineup so to speak..but..Im willing to gamble on him...

I thought I was the only one here that liked/want's Manziel...I really think not only does the kid have star power...I really think...that if he plays his cards right could be a great imfluence on this team with his type of swagger...Seems to have the I.Q. necessarry...its just...will "everything else" between his ears catchup/lineup so to speak..but..Im willing to gamble on him...

If you want to pick up Manziel, you have to dedicate to the O-line. Manziel is short for a QB at 73 in, so he needs a Brees-esque front line to give him a clear line of vision. A dominant O-line would also maximize Manziel's running ability. It would be great if CLE could draft Jake Matthews with their 1st pick and then his QB with the 2nd 1st round pick or 2nd round pick.

Warming to him nick... but like many others his off-season questions and questionable attitude in an earlier game were off-putting.

Started off looking like the dark-side of "swagger" was in play, i.e., arrogance.

It would be great if CLE could draft Jake Matthews with their 1st pick and then his QB with the 2nd 1st round pick or 2nd round pick.

I'm down with Jake, if he last's until our first #1 and any QB we liked is off the board. Schwartz showed again today that he is not the answer at RT. Jake immediately upgrades RT and is our next LT in waiting.

have we given up on hoyer for next year?

2 games of good solid football isn't enough to gamble on him being the franchise QB we suck, I mean seek so bad. It's good enough to be on the roster and fight it out in camp, but we have to acquire another QB.

Bridegwaters game against an average defense showed he's got some holes in his game...for a guy that's being hailed as

"THE "pick in this years draft...ya gotta be better than what he showed on Sat

have we given up on hoyer for next year?

You can't go into next season with a huge question mark at QB (Hoyer's health/ability)

This draft is loaded with QBs...we just gotta hope Banner can pick the right guy

Shep I'm kind of with you on marriota.

While you like Bridgewater and Boyd I'm saying Marriota will be the first QB taken this draft. Earlier I said early 3rd but most likely second round Marcus would be drafted. But after the ducks beat Alabama in the bcs title game this year his draft stock will will rise far and beyond B&B's. Then the combine will cement his value.

Not sure who said he looks average or whatever but look at his stats.

Then imagine what they would look like if Marcus completed a game this year.

Yeah the guy has yet to finish a game this season.

We don't need to spend a Top 10 pick on a LT for him to play RT, it's not as big of a luxury as you would think.

Know you disagree and I am not trying to be smart ass (for a change), but I really don't get the luxury bit... We took a LT in round two 2-years ago and plopped him at RT. Are you happy with the results?

Could be Jake is the best player available when our first first rolls around. God knows his Daddy was probably the best to ever play multiple O-line positions.

Nab a quality interior lineman with the 2nd first-round pick and the O-line is set for the next few years...

Then add a Manziel or, yes, a McCarron down the board, hopefully to learn under Hoyer's tutalige.

Seems like a reasonable alternative to me...

Forget about Hoys. He is damn near the weeds age and is facing starting over with a reconstructed knee. My crystal ball shows a career cut short in Cleveland

well, then, the old adage of, "Cleveland: the place where carees goes to die" is true after all.

Archived