THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

I'm definitely on board with building a great team before getting a QB.

I'm just not that big on drafting a QB that high either, unless it's Teddy.

AJ McCarron in the 3rd would be a steal, and if we can't get Teddy I don't want anyone ranked above him.

<E> Didn't we trade for Dion Lewis? That really didn't work out, but it's no one's fault.

We moved an LB who never saw the field. Not exactly the worst trade, especially considering the quality of linebackers we have employed at the moment.

Dion, from many reports, is a very nearly a clone of Shady McCoy, only slightly shifter.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dion Lewis is exactly what the Browns want to do at RB. I think he and Obie would be a really nice tandem. Obie's a classic one-cut runner with more burst than you expect. Love to see him get more carries. Still think we'll add a guy who can run/catch like both of those guys, maybe high in round 3 (Bernard Pierce territory). That's a nice group of backs.

This is a really good situation for a quarterback to step into, a bit of a doughnut team with most of the other key building blocks in place: Pass rushers? Check. Great left tackle? Check. #1 Receiver? Check. Safety blanket TE? Check. #1 corner? Check. Backs who can catch? Check.

The Browns will basically do whatever it takes to get their guy at QB because adding the other pieces is easy-breezy after that. We could bring in a WR, another TE, that RB, maybe a corner with size, some depth at safety... but none of that is code red, top five stuff. Not at all.

As Grossi said just yesterday when somebody was listing what the Browns need to do to be a playoff team next year, he said something to the effect of, "That's all secondary to getting the right quarterback." Stone cold fact.

Again, it's not if... it's who the Browns will draft in the top five at quarterback. Assuming we can't get to Bridgewater, I think it's Mariota. Someone (King?) just said if Kaepernick and Peyton Manning had a baby, it'd be Marcus Mariota.

I'm not talking about them being smart.

I'm talking about them being successful.

The stats point to bigger QB's being successful. Of course there are a few exceptions...but generally speaking, bigger QB's tend to have more success. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a tall, successful QB than it is to find a short one. That's not because they're always better, but because shorter QB's tend to be phased out of that position early on in their careers. High school and college coaches are going to nearly always try and plug in the bigger guy and move the smaller guy to slot receiver or DB. It's not fair, but it tends to be the case.

Of course, as I said, there are exceptions.

I didn't know it was a "rule" that a QB had to be under 6'4 to be considered smart. Not all tall QB's are Derek Anderson.

Did you guys know Joe Montana was 6'5? True story.

Hyde's a freaking beast. Love that guy. Give me Hyde, Obie, and Lewis... all bases covered.

I can't stress enough how against the grain you are if you think this is a quarterback class to pass on. It's one of the best in the last decade with 7 or 8 guys who could very easily end up long-term winning starters in this league.

Andy Dalton would be the 10th best QB in this draft. That's pretty amazing. CBS updated on 10/15 and has 6 quarterbacks in the top 25. Moved Johnny Cash up to #9... but also list him at 5'11". Thought he'd proven he's truly 6'1"?

Did you guys know Joe Montana was 6'5? True story.

Did you guys know that you can count the number of HOF QB's under 6 feet tall on one hand?

Did you know that the average height and weight of all 55 NFL QBs that started throughout the 2011 season was 6'3, 225 lbs?

Did you know that 29 of the 32 starting NFL QB's were at least 6'3?

Did you know that fifteen starting QB that year were at least 6'5?

True stories.

I swear Shep is really a draft fan, not a football fan. And his QB picks are usually off.

Really, really good post. Worth the time. Keep us updated on your ill will. I'm going to Kansas City in a week to watch the Chiefs and Browns hold a draft.

(There really should be an IQ test to join a board.)

IF they want Mariota... stay tuned...

Meanwhile couple very good games to take a hard look at Mssrs. Hundley and Boyd this weekend.

(9) UCLA @ (13) Stanford --- Sat 10/19 14:30 EDT --- The lower ranked Cardinal is favored by 6 at home.

(5) Florida St @ (3) Clemson --- Sat 10-19 19:00 EDT --- The higher ranked Tigers are a 3 point dog at home!

Definately on the radar for Saturday. Haven't seen much of Hundley against decent compitition.

I really think the most special QB in the NCAA is one that won't be coming out for another 2 years.

Jameis Winston has been posting great numbers and being just all around fantastic, but what I really love is the fact that he simply makes plays.

He finds a way to turn shit into gold, a la Manziel, but he does it with less pompous bullshit.

Not to mention the fact that he's a full 3 inches taller than Manziel and 15 lbs heavier.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24096977/while-jameis-winston-fever-grips-florida-state-phenom-plays-it-cool

He's a guy that could easily be the face of your franchise while also being the arm and legs of your franchise as well.

And, in true Cleveland fashion, we will miss the boat on him.

I really think the most special QB in the NCAA is one that won't be coming out for another 2 years.

Jameis Winston has been posting great numbers and being just all around fantastic, but what I really love is the fact that he simply makes plays.

He finds a way to turn shit into gold, a la Manziel, but he does it with less pompous bullshit.

Not to mention the fact that he's a full 3 inches taller than Manziel and 15 lbs heavier.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24096977/while-jameis-winston-fever-grips-florida-state-phenom-plays-it-cool

He's a guy that could easily be the face of your franchise while also being the arm and legs of your franchise as well.

And, in true Cleveland fashion, we will miss the boat on him.

i agree with the winston thinking. the matchup between boyd and him this saturday will be both enjoyable and educational.

too bad we don't have 2 years to wait for winston.

but then again we could pick a 'franchise' QB in who evryone is rating in the top 5 and find out they are are a complete bust and be waiting for him in 2015.

and the carousel keeps turning and turning.

Love Winston... but he's far from the only QB to love. Certainly no guarantee he'll be better or as good as Bridgewater or Mariota. Some serious QB talent happening in college football right now. As the CBS guy put it, it's tough to keep up with who's hotter.

Tough to top 17/0, though. That's Mariota, giving Bridgewater a run for his money.

Problem with worrying about missing one boat is you might be missing another.

Browns boards always seem to draw a lot of anti-quarterback sentiment, maybe because we never get to have the great ones, or at least since Otto Graham (Sipe and Kosar were too brief to be included). Every year, I read that there isn't a (NAME HERE) in this draft. Is Andrew Luck really that epic? Certainly not statistically, although I'll say he does win. So does Alex Smith who's having a so-so year at best.

Will Mariota be better than Luck? He certainly CAN be. He's way faster and has more arm, throws a gorgeous ball, proved he can play in crunch time. Can he be better than Kaepernick? Absolutely. He does everything Kaep does just a little better than Kaep and seems more polished at this point.

The guy I compare most to Luck is Bridgewater. Not because of size, because of polish. He plays like he's already in the NFL.

Boyd reminds me a little of Russell Wilson, two inches taller with a stronger arm. Both guys are clearly pass first but can move really well.

Hundley reminds me most of Cam Newton... and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. Aaron Murray is Andy Dalton, pretty much even steven with just a little more arm. Johnny Manziel? Hell, he's an original.

It's just a great year to need a quarterback.

Mariota could easily go #1 when the dust clears. He and Bridgewater will be 1 and 1a. We need to get one of them. This administration will be judged by whether they do or not... like the last was judged on not getting RG3 and then trading up to draft a freaking running back at #3 overall.

Yikes.

6'1 Case Keenum (or something like that) leapfrogged TJ Yates brian-hoyer-style and gets the start this Sunday for the Texans against the Chiefs.

I know virtually nothing about him other than his height and his yuppyish name.

Any thoughts on him.

I'm assuming the Chiefs will be undefeated when we get them next week.

Total Trap Game.

Zombo

Boyd reminds me a little of Russell Wilson, two inches taller with a stronger arm. Both guys are clearly pass first but can move really well.

If that proves to be true...I'll take one of those please.

Just please no Johnny Cash Football. I think he's going to be a disaster.

I get all the Manziel skepticism, but honestly he's a pretty darn good QB...

Strengths - First, what he does best is get the ball out quick and second, along with that, he goes through all his progressions quickly and does not stare down receivers. Third, he is elusive in the pocket and when scrambling and is accurate throwing on the run, a smaller and faster Big Ben. Fourth, he usually puts the ball on the money, especially when he gets a chance to set his feet.

Weaknesses - First, the fact that he is undersized. Second, he does not secure the football when scrambling and when in the pocket. Third, he takes too many risks when he is pressured; however, this has been his biggest strength in college, I just see it as a possible weakness at the NFL level.

So far, what I've seen from him he is impressive. I can see his game translate to the NFL. I would certainly take him in the first round, not top 10, but I think he can be good at the next level. More to come...

My questions about Manziel are not about his physical abilities throwing or running the football....it comes down to his dedication to the game and his teammates. Hes gonna need to grow up real fast to make it in the NFL.

Exactly... I think he's a punk who is going to flame out in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf comes to mind.

Exactly... I think he's a punk who is going to flame out in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf comes to mind.

His "dedication to the game?" Seriously?

I think neither of you guys have watched a game of his. He puts 100% into every play between the lines, sometimes to his own detriment when he fights for extra yards. On-the-field, he seems to have the fire that makes great QBs great. Off-the-field... he's a little cocky. Never met a good QB who was a little cocky, right? hmmm...

He's probably not the best QB coming out this year, but compare his game tapes to Mariota's... not sure it's obvious who will be better...

Archived