THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

I've watched a couple of his games this year and he looks too small to me.

Off the field is my concern. I think he's a jackass.

He is small. I'll give you that. If you're going to draft Manziel you're hoping he can play despite his size. He's listed as 6'1" 210lbs, which is probably generous. Only 2 current successful QBs in the NFL at that size are Drew Brees at 6'0" 209lbs, and Russell Wilson at 5'11" 206lbs.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns boards always seem to draw a lot of anti-quarterback sentiment, maybe because we never get to have the great ones, or at least since Otto Graham (Sipe and Kosar were too brief to be included). Every year, I read that there isn't a (NAME HERE) in this draft. Is Andrew Luck really that epic? Certainly not statistically, although I'll say he does win. So does Alex Smith who's having a so-so year at best.

Will Mariota be better than Luck? He certainly CAN be. He's way faster and has more arm, throws a gorgeous ball, proved he can play in crunch time. Can he be better than Kaepernick? Absolutely. He does everything Kaep does just a little better than Kaep and seems more polished at this point.

The guy I compare most to Luck is Bridgewater. Not because of size, because of polish. He plays like he's already in the NFL.

Boyd reminds me a little of Russell Wilson, two inches taller with a stronger arm. Both guys are clearly pass first but can move really well.

Hundley reminds me most of Cam Newton... and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. Aaron Murray is Andy Dalton, pretty much even steven with just a little more arm. Johnny Manziel? Hell, he's an original.

It's just a great year to need a quarterback.

Shep, I'm not averse to drafting a quarterback in the first round next year. I am averse to a Redskins sell the ranch\mortgage the future trade to move up to get a guy, if he goes bust- and you know it can happen, we're screwed for the next 3 years. Rothlisberger got picked @ #9, and Aaron Rodgers fell all the way into the 20s- I'm sure you remember. :) If the qb class is as deep as you think it is, no reason we shouldn't be able to sit at say #12 (my projection) and still get a quality guy to groom behind Hoyer.

Plus, half the college quarterbacks you're drooling over now are going to bust in the NFL- history says so.

Hasn't been the case over the past five years or so. Successful starters have been flooding into the league.

Best way to not get one is to not try. Then at least you know for certain you're gonna suck ass. Takes the guesswork out of it. Best teams have the best quarterbacks, as Aikman said and Dilfer quoted. Is what it is.

Top QB Prospects, by QBR in all of NCAAF this year...

#3 - T. Bridgewater - LOU - 191.8 - Was the consensus #1 pick, but I'm starting to think there's some competition there.

#4 - Zach Mettenberger - LSU - 184.1 - Moving up some draft charts I'm sure. At 6'5" 230lbs. He's got the size. Not sure he's played well enough to bet the future on him.

#5 - Marcus Mariota - ORE - 182.4 - Have to assume he's coming out this year, but he doesn't have to. I think he will enter the draft overrated, and hope he gets taken before we get a chance. He is a "run-first" QB, which is something I do not think you can change at the next level, despite his throwing skills.

#6 - Johnny Manziel - T A&M - 179.5 - Playmaker. I discussed him above.

#8 - Tajh Boyd - CLEM - 172.0 - 3rd year in a row he's played well. The game against FSU will be telling. He puts up great yards and his accuracy has improved. He's thrown a few too many INTs the past 2 years, but this year is doing much better at protecting the football. He's smaller than ideal, but has great arm strength.

#12 Brett Hundley - UCLA - 165.0 - Can't wait to watch the game against Stanford. I haven't watched him play. I'm assuming he's coming out this year as well, despite he has 2 more years of eligibility.

#13 Aaron Murray - UGA - 164.4 - Undersized and undertalented (is that a word?). Struggles under pressure. Sliding down draft boards after the loss to Missouri.

#14 AJ McCarron - ALA - 161.2 - Here's the Champ! Doesn't do anything great, but even better, doesn't make big mistakes. Add him to the list of "good" Alabama QBs who have followed their team to the title. He has not shown anything but game-manager ability. Will get drafted, and I'd take him if I needed a backup.

#17 Kevin Hogan - STAN - 158.6 - Another guy who can opt to return to college. He has good size and skills, but another guy who doesn't do anything spectacular. It will be fun to watch him go against Hundley on Saturday. If he makes some noise, he might choose to enter the draft.

#25 Stephen Morris - MIA - 153.1 - I don't see it, but a lot of "experts" think this guy can be good at the next level.

#28 Derek Carr - FRES - 152.2 - Very solid QB who puts up great numbers, against weak competition. The senior has been doing it for 3 years now and seems to be getting better. He struggled against Hawaii, but did enough for his team to win. Played great against Boise St and got the win. I think he's a sleeper who could be drafted in the 3rd and end up starting.

Those are the only "draftable" Qbs who are ranked in the top 30 in QBR. David Fales ranked #48 at 141.6. That's 11 QBs with high QBRs, for whatever that's worth. Usually, players who finish over 160 get a shot to start in the league at some point, if they have the measurables to match. That makes 8 potential starters, according to that "estimate." Many great starters have had lower QBRs in college, just to put that out there.

Last year the top drafted QB (EJ Manuel) finished with a QBR of 156.0, and in 2011 Russell Wilson finished with the best at 191.8 (the best QBR in the last 10 years in NCAAF) and A.Luck finished at 169.7. Weeden's was 159.8 the year he was drafted. Just for a little comparison...

His "dedication to the game?" Seriously?

I think neither of you guys have watched a game of his. He puts 100% into every play between the lines, sometimes to his own detriment when he fights for extra yards. On-the-field, he seems to have the fire that makes great QBs great. Off-the-field... he's a little cocky. Never met a good QB who was a little cocky, right? hmmm...

He's probably not the best QB coming out this year, but compare his game tapes to Mariota's... not sure it's obvious who will be better...

Yes, his dedication. Will he be the guy spending endless hours in the film room or the guy posing for GQ? My moneys on the latter.

Hasn't been the case over the past five years or so. Successful starters have been flooding into the league.

Best way to not get one is to not try. Then at least you know for certain you're gonna suck ass. Takes the guesswork out of it. Best teams have the best quarterbacks, as Aikman said and Dilfer quoted. Is what it is.

I'm not saying don't try- Lord knows we've tried. First round- Quinn and Weeden. Third round- Frye and McCoy. Free agents, you name it. I'm just sayin' DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. :)

I'm not saying don't try- Lord knows we've tried. First round- Quinn and Weeden. Third round- Frye and McCoy. Free agents, you name it. I'm just sayin' DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. :)

Agreed. Wait for a good one to fall. We have other holes to fill...

I've heard that about Hundley... but I've also heard it about Manziel and Mariota. They seem to want somebody who can really move AND throw and don't think they can get to Bridgewater.

Mayock drools over Bridgewater. Not sure who said nobody's making over him... because everybody is.

I don't have an exact link but I've seen comments on walterfootball.com's mock drafts that Cleveland loves Hundley. I've also heard on WKNR that the FO really likes him. They've also had scouts at every UCLA game thus far this year.

I didn't watch the Louisville- UCF game tonight- but after work, I sat next to a guy who (I value his opinion on) did- and he wasn't all that high on Bridgewater. I did catch the last minute of the game, and nice arm on the Hail Mary- too bad it was 5 yards off for one of his WRS to make a play on the ball.

I didn't watch the Louisville- UCF game tonight- but after work, I sat next to a guy who (I value his opinion on) did- and he wasn't all that high on Bridgewater. I did catch the last minute of the game, and nice arm on the Hail Mary- too bad it was 5 yards off for one of his WRS to make a play on the ball.

Are you judging a quarterback off of a hail mary pass?

Bridgewater went 29/38 for 341 yards and had a touchdown in the final five minutes. It's not Bridgewater's fault his team sucks, have you ever seen a QB this many people are high on with so little talent around him?

Walterfootball has us taking Johnny Football btw.

I don't have an exact link but I've seen comments on walterfootball.com's mock drafts that Cleveland loves Hundley. I've also heard on WKNR that the FO really likes him. They've also had scouts at every UCLA game thus far this year.

wtf? NO! Anyone but Hundley, dink and dunk game manager. No thanks.

6'1 Case Keenum (or something like that) leapfrogged TJ Yates brian-hoyer-style and gets the start this Sunday for the Texans against the Chiefs.

I know virtually nothing about him other than his height and his yuppyish name.

Any thoughts on him.

I'm assuming the Chiefs will be undefeated when we get them next week.

Total Trap Game.

Zombo

He was a monster in the FCS. HOU fans will have to hope the only reason he went undrafted was because of BCS elitism.

Kind of ironic, coming from Dilfer.

Yes, his dedication. Will he be the guy spending endless hours in the film room or the guy posing for GQ? My moneys on the latter.

Ahh so he got sent home from the Manning Camp, what a day early, so he doesn't have the dedication to be a legit NFL QB? Look I realize your jealous of the kid, I am too, but there's no reason whatsoever to bad mouth him on circumstantial evidence. Has he killed anyone? Has he roided up? Has he run a dog fighting ring? In case you were wondering no he hasn't. He's cleaner then Haden and Gordon. I realize this is America where everyone gets to bitch about everyone but the kid can play.

Have you seen him play?

It's funny before the season started my Dad absolutely hated the kid. Though he was a punk, blah, blah, blah. Every Saturday and Sunday I go and watch football with my Dad. Needless to say after the Bama game, and forgetting last year entirely evidently, he's hoping he falls down far enough in the draft so the Cowboys can pick him up. (Yes he's a Cowboy's fan, we do live in Oklahoma) Texas A&M is now appointment viewing for us purely because of Johnny Manziel.

Oh and for the dumbass who is calling him Johnny "Cash" Manizel are you really trying to insult him by comparing him to one of the greatest/badass artist of all time? I know you're going for the whole cash sign he's made when he scores a TD but do a little research into pop culture and it has something to do with Drake or some shit. I'm 25 and should probably know more about it then I should but I don't, other then that. (Grantland.com is the place to go) I just think of Johnny Cash, which is a complete compliment. Johnny Cash was a legit badass. Anyone who disagrees is a terrorist.

If it was so damn easy with great qbs flooding the league, then every NFL team would have a great qb. Successful starters like Tebow and Sanchez? Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young aren't exactly ancient history "oh it's so much more scientific now". Brandon stinking Weeden is living proof it's totally possible to f**k up in the first round lately. I rest my case.

Teams that have great qbs like Atlanta, Houston, and the Squealers that are currently sucking?

It's not as easy as you make it out to be. The Peyton Mannings and Drew Breese are rare, rare birds- and Brees came back to earth last year without his security blanket coach. Hehe and Manning gets bitched out by Irsay for not winning enough Super Bowls.

If it was so damn easy with great qbs flooding the league, then every NFL team would have a great qb. Successful starters like Tebow and Sanchez? Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young aren't exactly ancient history "oh it's so much more scientific now". Brandon stinking Weeden is living proof it's totally possible to f**k up in the first round lately. I rest my case.

Only the Browns would trade up to draft a 29-year old from OSU in the 1st.

Ahh so he got sent home from the Manning Camp, what a day early, so he doesn't have the dedication to be a legit NFL QB? Look I realize your jealous of the kid, I am too, but there's no reason whatsoever to bad mouth him on circumstantial evidence. Has he killed anyone? Has he roided up? Has he run a dog fighting ring? In case you were wondering no he hasn't. He's cleaner then Haden and Gordon. I realize this is America where everyone gets to bitch about everyone but the kid can play.

Have you seen him play?

It's funny before the season started my Dad absolutely hated the kid. Though he was a punk, blah, blah, blah. Every Saturday and Sunday I go and watch football with my Dad. Needless to say after the Bama game, and forgetting last year entirely evidently, he's hoping he falls down far enough in the draft so the Cowboys can pick him up. (Yes he's a Cowboy's fan, we do live in Oklahoma) Texas A&M is now appointment viewing for us purely because of Johnny Manziel.

Oh and for the dumbass who is calling him Johnny "Cash" Manizel are you really trying to insult him by comparing him to one of the greatest/badass artist of all time? I know you're going for the whole cash sign he's made when he scores a TD but do a little research into pop culture and it has something to do with Drake or some shit. I'm 25 and should probably know more about it then I should but I don't, other then that. (Grantland.com is the place to go) I just think of Johnny Cash, which is a complete compliment. Johnny Cash was a legit badass. Anyone who disagrees is a terrorist.

johnny cash was a heroin addict, but i guess if he played football and could run around like a little bitch he'd be alright in you and your dad's eyes, huh? what did johnny cash ever do for anyone in this country except think about himself and destroy other people's lives. wow, he was a badass. every time i hear one of his songs some hick plays on the jukebox a bump into it on purpose just to skip the fucking dreadful song.

yeah he's 'walking the line' down a blazing inferno road for eternity in purgatory.

fuck him and johnny manziel. i could name you 12 DEs that'd love to introduce that kid into the NFL on his first and only sunday come next august.

he's a punk fuckin spoiled bitch. if we picked that douche i would officially quit watching football altogether.

Teams that have great qbs like Atlanta, Houston, and the Squealers that are currently sucking?

It's not as easy as you make it out to be. The Peyton Mannings and Drew Breese are rare, rare birds- and Brees came back to earth last year without his security blanket coach. Hehe and Manning gets bitched out by Irsay for not winning enough Super Bowls.

we are seeing eye to eye on this topic. there is no Fing guarantee in this league just because someone is rated high coming out of college that he's the best thing since sliced bread.

sure we have to draft a QB but at what price? i like mariota but i wouldn't be willing to spend our other first to move up one spot to guarantee we get the guy. we'll be in the top ten picking and if one of these 'best QB drafts in years' doesn't fall to us the quantum physics and this whole world is nothing but a dream and we'll all wake up one day attached to a machine.

Shep, I'm not averse to drafting a quarterback in the first round next year. I am averse to a Redskins sell the ranch\mortgage the future trade to move up to get a guy, if he goes bust- and you know it can happen, we're screwed for the next 3 years. Rothlisberger got picked @ #9, and Aaron Rodgers fell all the way into the 20s- I'm sure you remember. :) If the qb class is as deep as you think it is, no reason we shouldn't be able to sit at say #12 (my projection) and still get a quality guy to groom behind Hoyer.

Plus, half the college quarterbacks you're drooling over now are going to bust in the NFL- history says so.

I agree. Let the draft come to us. With all of these guys Shep is saying are so good, one of them is going to drop in our laps.

Plus, I am not so sure we don't have our QB in Hoyer. I'd be good going in to next year with the current QBs on the roster and use some of these picks we have attained to build of other positions, such as corner, interior O-line, RB, etc.

johnny cash was a heroin addict, but i guess if he played football and could run around like a little bitch he'd be alright in you and your dad's eyes, huh? what did johnny cash ever do for anyone in this country except think about himself and destroy other people's lives. wow, he was a badass. every time i hear one of his songs some hick plays on the jukebox a bump into it on purpose just to skip the fucking dreadful song.

yeah he's 'walking the line' down a blazing inferno road for eternity in purgatory.

fuck him and johnny manziel. i could name you 12 DEs that'd love to introduce that kid into the NFL on his first and only sunday come next august.

he's a punk fuckin spoiled bitch. if we picked that douche i would officially quit watching football altogether.

I've never wanted manziel more than after reading this crazy-town statement.

I can't believe I agree with Soju, but count me as another that looks at Hundley as a "dink & dunker". The few deep balls I have seen him throw are NOT pretty.

Please, no Hundley.

If we're lucky, he'll stay in school (which he should) & we won't have to worry about it.

Mike

All these college world beaters will be the next generation of decent to mediocre to awful NFL quarterbacks. Oh boy! We can have the next alkili smith/Vince young! How awesome! They were considered special and look at them now. Geno smith, EJ manuel & RG3 next up to fail to live up to the hype. Why if they last five years they can be the next mike "never done shit" Vick! Ohboy! Let's trade up for one!

Archived