THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer out for season

bigbaddawgjr

no shit, I am still very optimistic at taking a shot at the division. It's not like we're not in 1st place or anything. Weeden looked like Weeden yes, but he got the win. If he steps it up just a little and continues to play turnover free, we are still in the drivers seat

Technically our DST got the win. 14 Pts from Benjamin and Ward made the difference.

Granted, we handed them two touchdowns, but the fact of the matter is that our offense did just enough to not lose.

I'm worried for our chances here on out but if Weeden continues to play efficient football, we should be okay.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see how fickle the browns fans are. Weeden puts this team at a serious risk to lose fan support with more poor play. They're going to need to go get somebody.

I was seriously ready to stop watching after two games before Hoyer. This league is about QBs and Weeden is awful. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but we already know he sucks.

I don't care what his stats say, Weeden sucks. He has the arm sure but he has a very low football IQ. As an NFL QB you have to be able to anticipate. You have to anticipate blitzes, pressure, coverage, and where your recievers are going to be. He can't do this right now. I'm definitely pulling for the guy and I hope he proves me wrong but I hate watching him play due to my frustration levels going through the roof.

good coaches make the adjustments that need to b made to win.

ESPN NFL - Browns QB Brian Hoyer tore his ACL Thursday night, an MRI confirmed, ending his season -- source

Chud confirmed this. Damn.. So what do we do going forward looking to the draft?

We look forward to trying to make the playoffs with Weeden as our QB....just like the plan was in the beginning of the season.

Weeden needs to step up.

The Defense needs to step up.

The Special teams need to step up.

They all did that last night.

The Browns play in what now seems a somewhat weak division.

They may...right now have as good a shot as any team in this division to take it.

Last night a graphic showed that 51.3% of all teams that start 3-2 make the playoffs.

So, we still, to my mind, have about a 50/50 shot.

We got 4 games left against the other AFCN teams.

I see no reason why we should not split those 4 at minimum...or go 3-1.

So....we will look at the draft in mid February.

That is what I see as the plans going forward.

Life goes on and the Browns season will go on. They found Hoyer, and there's more out there. Getting ready for Detroit and fitting the offense around Weeden and finding a 3rd QB is doable in 10 days.

Of course that's the easy thing to say but... You have to think that if Hoyer led us to 10-6 (which I think he would've) and Into the playoffs, it would be a whole different draft scenario. Now we haven't seen enough of hoyer, so if weeden stinks it up, do we go all in for a QB? And does this mean Hoyer is done in Cleveland? I certainly hope not.

Of course that's the easy thing to say but... You have to think that if Hoyer led us to 10-6 (which I think he would've) and Into the playoffs, it would be a whole different draft scenario. Now we haven't seen enough of hoyer, so if weeden stinks it up, do we go all in for a QB? And does this mean Hoyer is done in Cleveland? I certainly hope not.

And what if Weeden leads this team to a playoff spot?

Before the season started we didn't think that was going to be a possibility. But now, with a 3-2 record, it may still be possible.

Right now...the hopes and expectations of Browns fans is that Weeden will indeed at least have this team competing for a playoff spot.

The unfortunate thing about Weeden are his major flaws aren't something you fix at the pro level. The only thing I'm hoping for is they give Weeden a bunch of quick throws against Detroit. Bubble Screens, Smoke passes, quick slants to get his mind moving quicker in game. This defense is good enough to just need Weeden not to lose us a game to be competitive, that's for certain.

Edit: The bottom line here is if Weeden can just play like he did last night for the rest of the season, this team could have serious playoff implications.

good coaches make the adjustments that need to b made to win.

Coaches can only do so much. If the guy doesn't get it he doesn't get it. You can't fix stupid. Not that Weedens "stupid" but he is football stupid. He can't read defenses and he makes tons of bad decisions.

Jaws on Mike and Mike this morning was saying that Freeman was the shit, and after reviewing the game films that he was not the problem... Whatever that's worth....

I agree with that some. I think Schiano is out of his league in the NFL....and that there will be some nice little college program that he can coach at next year. Texas and Nebraska may be looking...but I am not sure he is up to that level even. Perhaps Eastern Michigan or a Kansas or Purdue....or a Troy St.

OK, THAT MAKES HIM A "LOCKER ROOM PROBLEM". OK. YOU'RE RIGHT. IF HE CAME HE HE'D MESS WITH THE WHOLE TEAMS CHEMISTRY. CAUSE HE'S HAD SO MANY ISSUES BEFORE. OH WAIT... HE GOT BENCHED AND WANTED TO GET A SHOT ELSE WHERE. MAJOR LOCKER ROOM CANCER

The caps lock button should be on the far left of your keyboard, just press it and it will turn off.

He's a cancer in the locker room. If we bring him in and don't committ to him any longer than this year, and the FO thinks he'll play nice and be bnetter than Weeden, I'll trust their jusdgment. But I have very serious doubts.

Well we will likely be drafting a QB in the first rd of the draft next now that we Hoyer won't have a chance to prove if he is the QB of the future, but I am ok with Weedon starting(yeah he sucks) with our d we don't need a peyton manning or tom brady to get to .500 or better this year we will just need weedon to not make stupid mistakes/turn overs and to find a way to score when they have good field position.

I agree with that some. I think Schiano is out of his league in the NFL....and that there will be some nice little college program that he can coach at next year. Texas and Nebraska may be looking...but I am not sure he is up to that level even. Perhaps Eastern Michigan or a Kansas or Purdue....or a Troy St.

To be fair, literally since I've seen Jaws on ESPN the only QB he's said wasn't good was Tebow. I'm not kidding, it's like it's not in his DNA to say a QB is bad.

The unfortunate thing about Weeden are his major flaws aren't something you fix at the pro level. The only thing I'm hoping for is they give Weeden a bunch of quick throws against Detroit. Bubble Screens, Smoke passes, quick slants to get his mind moving quicker in game. This defense is good enough to just need Weeden not to lose us a game to be competitive, that's for certain.

Edit: The bottom line here is if Weeden can just play like he did last night for the rest of the season, this team could have serious playoff implications.

I agree with you. The frustrating thing is Weeden can't make some of the touch throws Hoyer excelled at, ie the fade to Cameron, quick slants, etc..Those plays really opened the field for us and were huge in the redzone both weeks Hoyer started. Hoyer could drop balls in places, like the ball Gordon dropped yesterday on the first drive. Weeden throws frozen ropes, he can't spot the ball well AT ALL.

We don't have the rushing game to not have an efficient Qb, IMO. If we go with Weend the rest of the year, I think playoffs are out of reach. With Hoyer, I absolutely think we make it.

Look at the schedule. Next 5 games are tough, last 6 games much easier. I was thinking we can take 6 games of the remaining schedule for sure, with Hoyer. But with Weeden....

I was a weeden defender until last night. He just doesn't pull the trigger fast enough and doesn't have consistent accuracy.

I'll always support our QB no matter who it is but I have a feeling the rest of the season won't go so well. Defense will be tired with all the 3 and outs from the offense.

hope I'm wrong!

Weeden leading us to the playoffs is the only way he stays. But what to do with Hoyer?

Let's worry about that next year.

The Browns have Weeden and Campbell on the roster now. I suspect Hoyer will be going on IR. They will need to pick up a 3rd string backup.

After the season, after they see how Weeden performs, they can make their judgment then.....to keep Weeden as the future. Or not. They will likely keep Hoyer on the roster for next year. If they don't keep Weeden....and draft a QB, they will still need a veteran. I would still prefer a rookie QB get some bench time to learn.

But why deal with that now. It will be an issue for April/May. Weeden/Campbell will be our QBs....unless this turns out like 2008 and all three of them get hurt (remember we had to use DA/Quinn/Dorsey/Gradkowski). Lets not repeat that BS.

they paid him to leave. What else do you need to know?

Because Schiano is a egotistical asshole and didn't draft him.

Keep in mind, this is the HC that just told all the season ticket holders that their team was a "laughingstock" and that they "needed a little Greg Schiano".

The guy is a douchebag supreme.

One of the beat reporters (Ridenour) believes this takes the chances of the Browns drafting a QB way up in the draft to a near certainty. The brass seems to have no confidence whatsoever in Weeden and won't really know anything about Hoyer by the time the draft rolls around. He only got those two starts and he'll be rehabbing in May... not enough to bank on.

Weeden was Weeden last night: He took a ton of sacks, got the ball out slow, showed off a great arm, and went yard a couple times. He also missed more on short/intermediate throws than over the top, throwing well behind Bess and almost never getting the ball out in the first "window."

I'll be pulling for him like crazy and, hey, going downtown is always fun. But it was brutally clear that the team had united behind Hoyer and saw him as The Guy. The team and Weeden is more of a shot gun reconciliation. Hoyer had a shot at changing the Browns' draft plans. Never say never, but I don't believe that's true of Weeden.

Could he just go off and change my mind and everybody else's? Sure. That'd be amazing.

Archived