THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyer out for season

bigbaddawgjr

I think two things are a certainty now. First, the Browns keep Hoyer, and second, they draft a QB next year. The Browns keep Hoyer because he'll give 200% to this team, he's earned the right to be considered for the starting job next year, Lombardi loves him, and he has skills that neither of the other two QBs on the team have, and those skills make him an invaluable mentor. A mentor to who? The other certainty, that the Browns will draft a QB in the first round.

But what if Weeden leads the team to the playoffs? That'll earn him a right to stay on the roster, and that leaves Campbell the odd man out next year. The team will have 3 QBs next year, and the question is who will get the third spot. Weeden does well, he will get it and we'll go into next year with a rookie QB, Hoyer, and Weeden.

If Weeden fails he is gone and we go into next year with Hoyer, a rookie QB, and Campbell or someone they pick up on free agency.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unfortunate thing about Weeden are his major flaws aren't something you fix at the pro level. The only thing I'm hoping for is they give Weeden a bunch of quick throws against Detroit. Bubble Screens, Smoke passes, quick slants to get his mind moving quicker in game. This defense is good enough to just need Weeden not to lose us a game to be competitive, that's for certain.

Edit: The bottom line here is if Weeden can just play like he did last night for the rest of the season, this team could have serious playoff implications.

They need to construct a practice drill for Weeden. Have him line up under center with no other offensive linemen and three receivers who are covered man to man, have a LB line up off an imaginary tackle. After the snap, he counts to three and than rushes Weeden. Either weeden gets the pass off to an open receiver or he gets leveled. Keep doing it until he gets it in his head he needs to get rid of the ball even if it is to throw it away if no one is open.

They need to construct a practice drill for Weeden. Have him line up under center with no other offensive linemen and three receivers who are covered man to man, have a LB line up off an imaginary tackle. After the snap, he counts to three and than rushes Weeden. Either weeden gets the pass off to an open receiver or he gets leveled. Keep doing it until he gets it in his head he needs to get rid of the ball even if it is to throw it away if no one is open.

And then Campbell will be starting....

Opening day is in 10 months which means Hoyer probably doesn't play at all in the preseason... which makes it unlikely that he's the starter. I do think the Browns will stand behind him and resign him (he's on a one-year, I think). But the starter is almost certainly in college right now.

The Browns will trade whatever it takes to get as high as they can to get a QB. Feels almost as certain as it gets.

Listen, Hoyer didn't win any games for us, same as Weeden hasn't lost any games for us. Sure, Hoyer looked a little better, but he wasn't exactly perfect in his 2 starts. Hoyer did just enough in 2 games for us to win. All Weeden needs to do is just enough for us to NOT lose. Our defense and ST have been a major factor in all 3 wins, and I see that continuing the rest of the season. We don't need "lights out" QB play with this team, just need first downs that lead to good field position and enough points to give our D a chance. This CAN be a playoff team with Weeden, especially if he plays like he did in the 2nd half...

part of me laughs at this, the other part of me says why not. turner, chud, and lombardi like mobile QB's in their system, which is why we got hoyer to begin with. try him out, give him a shot. he did alright in san fran when he got starts. didnt look bas at all

You must be high.

Listen, Hoyer didn't win any games for us, same as Weeden hasn't lost any games for us. Sure, Hoyer looked a little better, but he wasn't exactly perfect in his 2 starts. Hoyer did just enough in 2 games for us to win. All Weeden needs to do is just enough for us to NOT lose. Our defense and ST have been a major factor in all 3 wins, and I see that continuing the rest of the season. We don't need "lights out" QB play with this team, just need first downs that lead to good field position and enough points to give our D a chance. This CAN be a playoff team with Weeden, especially if he plays like he did in the 2nd half...

Are you completely fucking serious?

Even though Weeden made some nice throws last night, you could see the same old problems of holding onto the ball and making late decisions.

It is a shame that Hoyer got hurt because he looks to have the ability to beat the blitz as well as pin point accuracy.

What could have been if Hoyer didn't get hurt and they could use those 2 first round picks on other positions.

part of me laughs at this, the other part of me says why not. turner, chud, and lombardi like mobile QB's in their system, which is why we got hoyer to begin with. try him out, give him a shot. he did alright in san fran when he got starts. didnt look bas at all

Word is he looked great at OSU's pro day and had guys talking. I'm dead serious. Why not bring him in as a 3rd string guy and see what he has left? He beat Flacco out for the job in Baltimore before he got sick, was traded to San Fran where he beat out Alex Smith for the job and went 3-3 as the starter and even had a 350+ yard game, and that was when San Fran was bad. Hes always been a Browns fan so you know he'd give it everything he has. Give the guy a tryout, what could it hurt?

Are you completely fucking serious?

Yes. Any other tough questions? Or do you actually have something to comment on or contribute to the conversation?

I'm actually pretty excited to see what the Weeden-Gordon combo can do this year. They were pretty tough together at times last year. Add in Cameron and what he's been doing, along with Bess and "Mr. Dependable" Greg Little and this offense CAN be explosive.

What is there NOT to be optimistic about at 3-2??

Let see Norv Turner has been around since the early 90's and yet I can't think of one mobile QB that's been in his system but he sure does like them. :wacko:

Naturally, a huge loss for the organization. The whole team seemed to rally around the upstart 3rd-stringer. Was he perfect: of course not. He threw 3 picks in his 1st CLE game, but he managed to put the mistakes behind him when his team needed to make a final push & thus led his team to victory. He showed real improvement in the CIN divisional game. Granted, Leon Hall wasn't in the game, but CIN had a very good D for that game, nonetheless. He led 2 TD drives and put Cundiff in place for a mid-range FG. 17 pt against what was then a Top 3 ranked D is quite adequate. Most importantly though, he didn't turn the ball over. He got the ball off quicker than any QB in the league and this helped to neutralize CIN's pass rushing and keep the Cs/Ss on their toes. In last night's game, he threw a missile to Gordon that would have been a (60 yd?) TD pass had Gordon not dropped it. The run in which he injured himself was also pretty clutch. CLE can look favorably upon next year however, as ACL-tear rehabilitation has gotten steadily better and better over the years. Hoyer's former tutor tore his ACL at an older age than Hoyer and came back beautifully. I wish CLE had a rookie for a 3rd-stringer instead of Campbell, as Hoyer would be able to tutor him full time on the sidelines.

Hoyer led a game winning drive and a game sealing drive in back to back weeks. Weeden holds on to the ball too long and stares at recievers. When you go 3 and out all game the defense gets tired. That's why we lost the first 2 games. Do you have anymore great thoughts you need to share with the rest of us smartass?

No, weeden sucks. He can't make the throws, he waits too long, can't scramble, takes too many TFL.

Hoyer led a game winning drive and a game sealing drive in back to back weeks. Weeden holds on to the ball too long and stares at recievers. When you go 3 and out all game the defense gets tired. That's why we lost the first 2 games. Do you have anymore great thoughts you need to share with the rest of us smartass?

It amazes me that Weeden did the same thing last night as Hoyer did against the Vikings, yet Weeden has gotten no credit from fans. Down 24-17 in the 2nd half and he takes 2 plays to go 74 yards for a game-tying TD. Then, he converts a huge 3rd & 18 to keep a late 4th quarter drive going, which was back-breaking to the Bills D at the time.

Also, did you really watch Hoyer? He was great, and I still would start him if he was healthy, but he stared down his receivers which cost him 3 INTs in the game against MIN. And, against Cincy?? The D only gave up 6 POINTS. We didn't even need a TD to win that one...

Give credit where it's due. The D and ST (remember the fake FG and fake P). Hoyer was a great game manager, and I mean great, but having to go with Weeden isn't the end of the world given the supporting cast...

It amazes me that Weeden did the same thing last night as Hoyer did against the Vikings, yet Weeden has gotten no credit from fans. Down 24-17 in the 2nd half and he takes 2 plays to go 74 yards for a game-tying TD. Then, he converts a huge 3rd & 18 to keep a late 4th quarter drive going, which was back-breaking to the Bills D at the time.

Also, did you really watch Hoyer? He was great, and I still would start him if he was healthy, but he stared down his receivers which cost him 3 INTs in the game against MIN. And, against Cincy?? The D only gave up 6 POINTS. We didn't even need a TD to win that one...

Give credit where it's due. The D and ST (remember the fake FG and fake P). Hoyer was a great game manager, and I mean great, but having to go with Weeden isn't the end of the world given the supporting cast...

You just contradicted yourself. First you say Hoyer was only a little bit better and now you say he is great? Special teams and trick plays at Minnesota blah blah blah. We got a punt return and a defensive TD last night. I don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to Quarterbacks.

It amazes me that Weeden did the same thing last night as Hoyer did against the Vikings, yet Weeden has gotten no credit from fans. Down 24-17 in the 2nd half and he takes 2 plays to go 74 yards for a game-tying TD. Then, he converts a huge 3rd & 18 to keep a late 4th quarter drive going, which was back-breaking to the Bills D at the time. Weeden can't make most of the throws, sorry, he just can't. I like and support the kid, but Hoyer is 3x better. Hoyer can drop passing into a target (like the TD pass Gordon dropped last night), he can throw a great fade (to Cameron), he gets rid of the ball quickly (needed since we have Oline issues), and has scramblin ability worst case (see play he blew his knee out) - ALL of which, Weeden does not have. Weeden has a cannon of an arm, with which he throws frozen rope fastballs.....a econd too late and off target.

Also, did you really watch Hoyer? He was great, and I still would start him if he was healthy, but he stared down his receivers which cost him 3 INTs in the game against MIN. No he didn't, one was a batted arm.

And, against Cincy?? The D only gave up 6 POINTS. We didn't even need a TD to win that one... So you're saying alot of the times we won't need an offense to win, and are comfortable accepting that?

Give credit where it's due. The D and ST (remember the fake FG and fake P). Hoyer was a great game manager, and I mean great, but having to go with Weeden isn't the end of the world given the supporting cast... It's not good, at all.

You just contradicted yourself. First you say Hoyer was only a little bit better and now you say he is great? Special teams and trick plays at Minnesota blah blah blah. We got a punt return and a defensive TD last night. I don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to Quarterbacks.

I said great "game manager." Which like I said, is all we need. Plus, your quarterback knowledge is amazing... "Weeden sucks" impressive...

Complain all you want... Weeden is our QB. Get on board!!

laughable. you guys sound like a bunch of bitches.

this is weeden's make or break time. we spent a first round pick on the guy and a lot of people saw enough in him pre-draft for the browns to move up and take him. do i think they made the right choice? no. BUT it wasn't mine to make so this is who we are stuck with. give the guy a chance. yeah we all fell in love with the hoyer story but shit like this happens every sunday (or thursday and sometimes saturday).

i would cut campbell tomorrow and sign freeman in a heart beat. didn't he have one of the best rookie years a QB ever had? schiano is a prick, just ask ray rice. fuck him. talk about a team that is doomed. he'll be lucky to last out the year.

and 2 words to the troy smith lovers:

shut up.

I'm so sorry guys. Hoyer looked like the next great qb in my opinion. But he will be back next year, I think if weeden can win 6 games you guys will win the division. Hopefully weeden will have a fire under his ass and a chip on his shoulder and play lights out. Good luck guys ill be rooting as long as y'all don't play the skins in the sb!

Archived