THE BROWNS BOARD

OFFICIAL 2014 UDFA Thread

Harry Buffalo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should still look into a FA vet under age 30. We need some leadership in this receiver corps.

I agree & I would also like to see Skov get a shot.

Mike

Both Jones and Snead look like good pick ups. Snead looks like a Welker clone with more height. I think if Jones had been invited to the combine like he should have, he would have been drafted, but since he didn't and he was just at San Jose State, he got over looked. If I were the Ravens, I would have drafted Jones over who they got with our 7th round pick.

wasn't jones on the failed combine piss test list?

i think right now might not be a good time for this FO to be looking at someone with a red flag for flunking a piss test.

keep walking.

I'd be amazed if Shaw made the team

He is a very interesting prospect. He is lanky and isnt afraid to put his body on the line. He has a nice jab step to elude defenders

He looks really thin so he may get dinged up bit I he is my favorite to make the team so fat, I really like Mike Davis from Texas.

WR Willie Snead, Ball St.

WR Chandler Jones, San Jose St.

WR Kenny Shaw, FSU

FB Ray Agnew, Southern Illinois

QB Connor Shaw, South Carolina

LB Carlo Calabrese, Notre Dame

RB Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State

TE Blake Jackson, Oklahoma State

Willie Snead (WR):

Analysis

Strengths

Controlled mover with nice balance. Gets in and out of breaks cleanly. Runs crisp routes -- shows some savvy and subtle physicality to work himself open. Tracks and adjusts very well. Has soft, sure hands and catches naturally. Good concentration to make contested catches. Confident and competitive. Excellent two-year production.

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal height. Fairly monotone -- does not have explosive speed to separate vertically. Too many catches are contested. Lacks wiggle to elude tacklers and create after the catch. Did not face top-notch competition.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Productive, dependable, fairly polished possession receiver with natural receiving skills. Lacks ideal size and horsepower to thrive outside, but his sure hands give him a chance to compete for a role as a chain-moving, short-to-intermediate slot receiver.

Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina, signed by Browns.

We went from two QBs to six pretty quickly.

Going to be a fun and competitive camp at QB, WR, OL, RB ... not to mention then new corners and new linebacker in the mix on defense.

I'm pumped ... and the (only) good thing about the draft being in May ... July is not that far away!

Zombo

Chandler Jones (WR):

Strengths

Has a feel for where to settle in zone coverage. Shows toughness to catch in traffic. Confident and competitive.

Weaknesses

Is short with very short arms and small hands. Not exceptionally fast for a smaller receiver. Average creativity and limited strength after the catch. Production inflated by lateral passing game and porous defenses.

Draft Projection

Round 7-Priority free agent

Bottom Line

Smallish, productive slot receiver who plays bigger than his size and flashes the short-area quickness and zone awareness to compete for a job. Small hands and lack of physicality are limiting factors.

Carlo Calabrese (ILB):

Strengths

Tough, physical and aggressive. Quick to trigger downhill and plug holes. Intense, active and energetic.

Weaknesses

Has short arms and heavy feet and average athletic ability. Bites on play-action hard and can be late locating the football. Marginal knock-back body power. Is a liability in coverage and often exits the game in passing situations. Limited cover skills. Is late to reach the perimeter.

Draft Projection

Priority free agent

Bottom Line

An undersized, two-down, Mike linebacker lacking ideal speed

Chandler Jones:

Strengths

Has a feel for where to settle in zone coverage. Shows toughness to catch in traffic. Confident and competitive.

Weaknesses

Is short with very short arms and small hands. Not exceptionally fast for a smaller receiver. Average creativity and limited strength after the catch. Production inflated by lateral passing game and porous defenses.

Draft Projection

Round 7-Priority free agent

Bottom Line

Smallish, productive slot receiver who plays bigger than his size and flashes the short-area quickness and zone awareness to compete for a job. Small hands and lack of physicality are limiting factors.

Also has 1500 recieving this season and ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day.

Isaiah Crowell (RB):

Analysis

Strengths

Good vision and run strength -- runs hard and has a knack for finding seams. Presses the line of scrimmage and shows nice short-area burst to attack the outside.

Weaknesses

Average balance and tackle-breaking power. Cannot make his own holes and goes down too easy on contact, especially inside. Minimal receiving production. Soft, disinterested pass protector. Lacks top finishing speed. Effort waned late in games. Beats to the tune of his own drummer. Extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

An adequate-sized back with the run instincts and perimeter running skills to compete for a job in a situational role if he learns to commit himself to the process and figures out what it means to be a pro.

Blake Jackson (TE):

Strengths

Big, athletic-looking target with unique bulk and thickness. Works inside and posts up defenders. Can make the difficult snag.

Weaknesses

Very marginal production. Has underachiever tendencies. Does not play with urgency and gives up on plays too easily. Not a consistent catcher and does not play with confidence. Shows only one gear. Ran a limited route tree with little polish. Straight-linish and tight-hipped.

Draft Projection

Undrafted free agent

Bottom Line

Good-sized, athletic, underachieving, college receiver who saw a diminished role in a spread offense as a senior. Best chance in the pros might come proving that he could handle H-Back responsibilities.

Connor Shaw (QB):

Analysis

Strengths

Fine touch and accuracy. Very good mobility and movement in the pocket. Tough and gritty competitor. Produced a rare 24-1 TD-INT ratio as a senior and cut down on mental mistakes that characterized his play earlier in his career. Workaholic, gym rat. Extremely determined. Vocal presence. Smart and instinctive -- is the son of a coach and understands football concepts. Plays through pain. Has a 27-5 career starting record, has rallied his team to victory off the bench and carries a calm, confident, poised field presence. Mentally and physically tough. Three-year starter in the SEC.

Weaknesses

Is undersized and injury-prone with multiple foot and shoulder injuries. Played in a non-traditional, gimmicky offense featuring many simple reads and has a tendency to birddog his primary target. Operated heavily out of the shotgun, and mechanics will require seasoning. Average arm strength -- does not generate velocity on the move and comes up short on the deep ball. Can be too jittery vs. pressure and quick to tuck and run. Was the only passer who could not bust past 50 miles per hour on the radar gun at the combine (very marginal ball speed).

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Lacks prototype measurements and arm talent and played in a high-percentage, dink-and-dunk passing game that has not translated well to the pros, yet possesses the intangibles, toughness, football intelligence and escapability to warrant developing. Is the type of player scouts root for. A Jeff Garcia, make-it type quarterback likely to will his way into a job.

Blake Jackson (TE):

Strengths

Big, athletic-looking target with unique bulk and thickness. Works inside and posts up defenders. Can make the difficult snag.

Weaknesses

Very marginal production. Has underachiever tendencies. Does not play with urgency and gives up on plays too easily. Not a consistent catcher and does not play with confidence. Shows only one gear. Ran a limited route tree with little polish. Straight-linish and tight-hipped.

Draft Projection

Undrafted free agent

Bottom Line

Good-sized, athletic, underachieving, college receiver who saw a diminished role in a spread offense as a senior. Best chance in the pros might come proving that he could handle H-Back responsibilities.

This guy had rally good production in 2012, but nothing after 3 games in 2013. I guess he had some sort of major injury. His Teammate DT Barnett was all Big 12 the past two seasons. Big run stuffer type of player.

Archived