THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Little Released

acmikeac

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone more interested in looking up statistics would know better than I. How often does it happen in the NFL that players learn to catch the ball as their career develops? Greg Little is by no means a rookie but are there instances when receivers suck for a few years and then break out?

WSS

Maybe someone more interested in looking up statistics would know better than I. How often does it happen in the NFL that players learn to catch the ball as their career develops? Greg Little is by no means a rookie but are there instances when receivers suck for a few years and then break out?

WSS

Someone had mentioned that he tends to drop the easy ones that are right to him and nobody else is around. That is a problem, for that screams mental midget. I would suggest a sports psychologist for him if anything.

All Little's weaknesses have been listed... concentration, route running, separation...

I thought competition with Gordon would improve Little's game, but it did not.

I thought Gordon allowing Little to take the #2 role would help... it did not.

His season catch total has steadily declined through his first three years from 61 to 53 to 41. He has two 100-yard games and 8 TDs in three years.

At this point Greg just seems destined to be one of those "could have been" guys.

What I noticed was how well Little catches the passes from Colt. Colt throws a very catchable ball, that may be part of the problem. He's had so many different QB's throwing the ball that he can't anticipate where the ball is going to be. Is it going to be a jump ball? A floater? A grounder, is it going to be behind him? It's hard enough to go across the middle and even harder when you're not sure where the ball is going to hit you. I've seen Little make some amazing catches. A great QB that is consistent and gels with Little will make Little elite.

Who is throwing the ball doesn't matter. Ask Jerry Rice. Once the ball is in the air, it's in the air. If it's in the general area of the WR, he's supposed to catch the ball.

I've wondered in the past, if Little has attention deficit problems. Maybe he does.

There could be an allowed medication for that, or training in how to compensate for it.

Little plays very hard, and is tough. and, I'm sure that receivers don't like to catch

passes from dumbasses who throw a ten yard slant at 90 mph like Weedone.

My philosophy on mistakes, is that the only person who doesn't make any mistakes,

is a person who isn't trying to accomplish anything. The Browns will figure it out,

and make plans and decisions accordingly.

I've wondered in the past, if Little has attention deficit problems. Maybe he does.

There could be an allowed medication for that, or training in how to compensate for it.

Little plays very hard, and is tough. and, I'm sure that receivers don't like to catch

passes from dumbasses who throw a ten yard slant at 90 mph like Weedone.

My philosophy on mistakes, is that the only person who doesn't make any mistakes,

is a person who isn't trying to accomplish anything. The Browns will figure it out,

and make plans and decisions accordingly.

So? You think the answer is Adderall?

Despite our current WR 'woes' I hope to see Little cut from the team. It's time that we realize the guy had potential but just can't do the basic things pro-level WR's need to do to be good. I'd much rather give a rookie a shot before Little at this point. I mean how far can this guys rope be before it's cut?

jury is out on little, he doesn't have the mental makeup to be a star player. he is unreliable and has bad hands and makes mental gaffes. i'de prefer to give someone else a chance to prove what they can do rather than running out a guy who we already know what they can do and its not enough.

So? You think the answer is Adderall? Gip

I wouldn't know. But if it was the answer, it would be a good thing.

Just wondering.

Browns have released WR Greg Little, just saw it on twitter via Adam Schefter and Grossi.

https://twitter.com/tonygrossi/status/467318241661321218

Updated with article from CBS Sports:

Report: Browns release WR Greg Little

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

May 16, 2014 11:26 am ET

The Browns released Greg Little on Friday. (USATSI)

The Browns are making moves, baby. On Wednesday Cleveland took a step towards solving their wide receiver problem by signing former Cowboys wideout Miles Austin. On Thursday they took another step by releasing Greg Little.

Multiple reports indicate Little will be out the door soon; the news was first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Little was the team's second round pick in 2011, No. 59 overall, obtained by Cleveland in the blockbuster deal with the Falcons that netted Atlanta Julio Jones. (Little is two of five players, along with quarterback Brandon Weeden, drafted with those picks and since released.)

Even though he was just a second-round pick, Little's been a large disappointment. He averaged just 52 catches and 607 yards per season in his three years in the NFL and never developed into the consistent receiver Cleveland thought they drafted.

Little, in particular, was plagued with drops throughout his career (although this was something thought to be a concern coming out of North Carolina).

It's not all his fault: consider the quarterbacks he's played with and you can't necessarily put it all on him.

Little was finally going to get a chance to work with a promising QB prospect in Johnny Manziel, but with his release clearly that isn't happening.

Manziel -- and theoretical starter Brian Hoyer -- now faces a depth chart with Austin, Earl Bennett and Andrew Hawkins dominating the top.

Part and parcel of the release, too, is likely moving forward for a new regime.

Cleveland's made a concerted effort under Ray Farmer to distance itself from players drafted by the Mike Holmgren regime. The Little move is another example of such decision making.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24564391/report-browns-release-wr-greg-little

You had to see this one coming after the Browns signed 4 WR this offseason, not including any UDFA.

So what does that leave the current WR depth chart looking like?

Josh Gordon (pending suspension)

Miles Austin

Nate Burleson

Andrew Hawkins

Earl Bennett

Travis Benjamin

I can honestly say that I'm 100x happier with that potential WR corps than last year's.

You had to see this one coming after the Browns signed 4 WR this offseason, not including any UDFA.

Miles Austin

Nate Burleson

Andrew Hawkins

Earl Bennett

Travis Benjamin

I can honestly say that I'm 100x happier with that potential WR corps than last year's.

Better than a week ago!! and last few years.

Miles Austin

Nate Burleson

Andrew Hawkins

Earl Bennett

Travis Benjamin

Last year:

Greg Little

Davone Bess

Travis Benjamin

???

???

???

Josh Cooper

Miles Austin

Nate Burleson

Andrew Hawkins

Earl Bennett

Travis Benjamin

We still have Josh Cooper too. It will be interesting too if any of those UDFAs work their way in.

Lots of competition at the WR spot. Should be good. Interesting to see how Austin does if he stays healthy, how Bennett does in a new system, how Burleson does as the most experienced, and how Hawkins does in the slot...

If we can get Gordon back after a 6-game suspension, the end of the season should be fun

wow. a thread where it's just the circle of us 'regulars' here.

now we have to find a secret hide out. maybe the he-man woman haters club handshake as well.

ps. if HIS name is not in the thread title THEY won't come. shhh!

Lots of competition at the WR spot. Should be good. Interesting to see how Austin does if he stays healthy, how Bennett does in a new system, how Burleson does as the most experienced, and how Hawkins does in the slot...

If we can get Gordon back after a 6-game suspension, the end of the season should be fun

I actually saw a viedo on ESPN where they were talking about the Bennett and Austin signings and they said that Bennett has been exclusively a slot receiver his whole NFL career. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out with him and Hawkins both being primarily slot guys.

Archived