THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL To Reduce Pot Discipline

MLD Woody

According to Mike Florio yesterday on DP show, "everything is negotiable" when it comes to Josh Gordon's punishment should this new policy pass. It sounded like him being gone the whole year is far from a done deal, especially if the potency of his test falls below what the new testing threshold would deem a positive sample.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: Also did not read ESPN.go article since that site imbeds tracking beyond the usual cookies most sites use. Takes a virus sweep to remove ESPN.go tracking...

I use betterprivacy an addon for firefox... I'm sure other browers have the same or similar versions... it removes all lso supercookies when you close out your browser.

According to Mike Florio yesterday on DP show, "everything is negotiable" when it comes to Josh Gordon's punishment should this new policy pass. It sounded like him being gone the whole year is far from a done deal, especially if the potency of his test falls below what the new testing threshold would deem a positive sample.

My thought process is this. He is getting tested somewhere around once a month. If he tested for a very small amount of THC instead of a moderate to large ammount I could see him getting a reduced suspension regardless cause he might be able to argue that he was around it but not smoking it which is still dumb on his part but not worth a fun season ban.

I use betterprivacy an addon for firefox... I'm sure other browers have the same or similar versions... it removes all lso supercookies when you close out your browser.

Cool... what's "browser"? ;)

It's bullshit if they do lax their standards. If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired. These assholes GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and still don't stop smoking it. Fuck anyone who wants this change. These assholes deserve to get suspended and lose money. Where does this fucking sense of entitlement come from? These guys play football. They do nothing important and don't change the world one but. Why should they get off easy? Fuck em. News flash: ITS FUCKING ILLEGAL. Stop bitching.

There. Rant over.

Shut the fuck up you bitter son of a bitch. You are NOT Josh Gordon. The hopes of an entire city don't rest on your shoulders. Pompous ass hole. Why should they be suspended from a game if they are not violating the game in any way. They are not using preforming enhancing drugs to bolster their advantage, they are not getting high during games on the sidelines. We are fucking talking about a player, maybe enjoying some time off, maybe he was in Amsterdam- where it IS perfectly LEGAL to do so. How can you suspend him and discipline him when he comes back to America? Huh? Answer that you fucking JACKWACK.

Shut the fuck up you bitter son of a bitch. You are NOT Josh Gordon. The hopes of an entire city don't rest on your shoulders. Pompous ass hole. Why should they be suspended from a game if they are not violating the game in any way. They are not using preforming enhancing drugs to bolster their advantage, they are not getting high during games on the sidelines. We are fucking talking about a player, maybe enjoying some time off, maybe he was in Amsterdam- where it IS perfectly LEGAL to do so. How can you suspend him and discipline him when he comes back to America? Huh? Answer that you fucking JACKWACK.

Haha wow. Are you really trying to say that if someone goes to another country he is free from the restrains of work requirements? That's probably the dumbest argument I've ever heard... Including the argument that Derek Carr will be worth a shit.

It doesn't matter how much time you have off or where you are. Everyone in the NFL knows what happens if you smoke weed. Everyone. He's a dumbass who thought he was untouchable. He's an even bigger dumbass seeing as he tested positive once and knows that he gets tested more than others. He's selfish. He chose to smoke weed and he deserves his punishment. I could care less if it's performance enhancing or not. It's against the rules and the law. You're a fucking dipshit for thinking otherwise. Go blow a goat, shiteater.

It's bullshit if they do lax their standards. If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired. These assholes GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and still don't stop smoking it. Fuck anyone who wants this change. These assholes deserve to get suspended and lose money. Where does this fucking sense of entitlement come from? These guys play football. They do nothing important and don't change the world one but. Why should they get off easy? Fuck em. News flash: ITS FUCKING ILLEGAL. Stop bitching.

There. Rant over.

Unless your some kind of doctor or full time charity worker, I doubt you do anywhere near the world changing things that a lot of professional athletes do. We see them on the field or court, but most also spend shit loads of time helping out their communities, both where they grew up and in the city they play in.

Mind you that is not be disagreeing with you about Gordon being an idiot, even though I disagree and think the rules should be changed to better reflect how our country is starting to see pot, but rather my thoughts on how little you think of athletes.

Unless your some kind of doctor or full time charity worker, I doubt you do anywhere near the world changing things that a lot of professional athletes do. We see them on the field or court, but most also spend shit loads of time helping out their communities, both where they grew up and in the city they play in.

That's true, but most people can do the charity work they do. The money they give is great, but would they really be doing it if they didn't have to? Most probably wouldn't. I'm not saying they're bad guys, but how many of them do it out of the goodness of their hearts? We will never know. I guess I am judging them prematurely. I just see how some (not all) behave and know they care about one person only.

If the country makes weed legal then yeah, go ahead and smoke it. Have at it. But as of right now, it's illegal and violators will/should be punished. Athlete or not. It's nothing personal against them. It's anyone who break the law.

That's true, but most people can do the charity work they do. The money they give is great, but would they really be doing it if they didn't have to? Most probably wouldn't. I'm not saying they're bad guys, but how many of them do it out of the goodness of their hearts? We will never know.

I will agree that over 50% probably wouldn't do anything if they didn't make the money they do, but at the same time, they don't have to do it when they get their money. There is that perception that they have to do some sort of charity, but they don't. They don't have to do make a wish, or volunteer time either. But they do. And alot of those guys, alot of the people we have never heard of, who don't even make it to the NFL, NBA, MLB, still give their time while they are in college and after to help other people out.

I will agree that over 50% probably wouldn't do anything if they didn't make the money they do, but at the same time, they don't have to do it when they get their money. There is that perception that they have to do some sort of charity, but they don't. They don't have to do make a wish, or volunteer time either. But they do. And alot of those guys, alot of the people we have never heard of, who don't even make it to the NFL, NBA, MLB, still give their time while they are in college and after to help other people out.

Fair point. I have always admired people who grant wishes and take real time out of their days to help others. But some of the soup kitchen/United Way commercials make me sick. Those are apart of their contracts and they have to do them.

Gee whiz Po, I thought that shit was supposed to mellow you out...

WSS

There. Rant over.

Relaxing the standards would be reasonable and in line with scientific data on marijuana and the trends developing in many states. Also, weed isn't illegal everywhere. He wasn't doing this during the game or even the regular season. It isn't performance enhancing or related to the game in any way really. The suspension punishes the team and the fans as much as the player. That is unjust and makes no sense. If a player violates this NFL policy, I say just fine him $100k and move on.

Relaxing the standards would be reasonable and in line with scientific data on marijuana and the trends developing in many states. Also, weed isn't illegal everywhere. He wasn't doing this during the game or even the regular season. It isn't performance enhancing or related to the game in any way really. The suspension punishes the team and the fans as much as the player. That is unjust and makes no sense. If a player violates this NFL policy, I say just fine him $100k and move on.

I get what you're saying, but it's still against the rules of the NFL and everyone knows that. If you knowingly break a rule then you deserve to get punished.

If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired.

The rule that smoking weed could get you fired from ANY job is stupid

Not all jobs are created equal...

Surgeon vs. burger flipper

Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

Rules are rules. Dumb or not, they were broken. I agree they can and will be changed, but until then follow them. It's not that hard...make millions or smoke weed? Hmmmm.....

I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

Even if I agree with you that dumb rules should be followed (obviously I don't), shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

How does suspending a player for the season (harming fans and the team) for non-football behavior occurring outside the regular season fit the crime? It's just nonsense.

Also the NFL looks stupid if they cling to this and give a true criminal like Ray Rice a pass.

I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

For a second there I thought you were saying you wanted to smoke week over being a millionaire.

And I agree you can fight to get rules removed/changed, but breaking them (or as you put it, not following them) and then whining because you are being punished is not the way to go about it.

For a second there I thought you were saying you wanted to smoke week over being a millionaire.

And I agree you can fight to get rules removed/changed, but breaking them (or as you put it, not following them) and then whining because you are being punished is not the way to go about it.

It's so much easier that way though.

There. Rant over.

I definitely agree. Your paid millions, if u HAVE to inebriate yourself, do it legally.

The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thanks Buzz Killington.

My comments about this potentially helping Josh were predicated on the idea that the rules were to change before Josh's penalty went into effect. I wasn't clear about that. Good points on the back and forth between NFLPA and the NFL.

when it all comes down to it you'd have to have some hitler police to even give you a ticket for smoking a joint nowadays. maybe a ticket. but usually cops don't even care unless you are acting a fool or have large quantities for distribution. some dopey kids smoking a joint at the skate park is usually followed up by 'get on home or i'll have to write you up' scolding. hell 30 years ago in ohio they didn't give a shit if you just had a joint on you.

but yes to the point that doesn't forgive gordon one bit. when you know you got the man on your back and all you might have to do is step in a room full of your homies puffing away to test positive, YOU STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM YOUR HOMIES. i mean if they don't give a fuck about you enough not to smoke around you then it's time to find new friends. btw ask them for their cars back, see what that gets ya.

only thing i'm seeing as a positive in his case is that i'm seeing or hearing nothing. i mean mathis tested positive for PEDs (which it wasn't) and the story broke yesterday. gordon's fuckup has been plastered all over espn since the second day of the draft and nothing?

must be some serious negotiating or some scrutinizing of evidence going on.

Not all jobs are created equal...

Surgeon vs. burger flipper

Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

By "free time" I assume you are implying several hours, if not a day or more, before reporting to work. If that's the case, then I agree 100%. I certainly hurt a workday performance, or two, in my career far more by partying hard the nite before with alcohol than I ever did getting high.

My point was that all jobs are not created equal when it comes to the potential for impacting public safety. And in light of that fact, legal sobriety criteria are going to vary.

Archived