THE BROWNS BOARD

Off to an interview

LBC mike

So I am going to a job interview with a global structural engineering co. I have been doing the GC thing for the past year and half and it is not bring in the money as it should. Wish me luck mo fos.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

know a bunch of people in the biz. you CAN make money doing the GC thing but it's much more stressful and not the same security as working for someone else (depending on the co., i guess).

i think MLD woody was going to michigan for structural engineering.

anyhoo, give 'em hell!

General Contractor. Shit starting to fall apart in October. All stems from shit work by people that claimed they know how to do shit and don't. I went through 60 fuckers in my first year. Had to do a lot of rework, guys not showing up to work for days., etc..

Okay, so I might be a freak fan. I hate this time of year. I am a browns fan in Long Beach CA...... a place that is not a place for a browns fan. My buddy moved to San Diego from L.A. who is from Ohio and so I can't watch a Browns game with a fellow fan this coming year. Wife is a fan via marriage. she is a girl fan of chargers. she likes the browns because of me.

You guys in Ohio get news feeds and shit. I get nothing other than NFL network and ESPN (manziel network formerly the Tebow network). College football sucks around here.. Hate USC. Okay with UCLA but nothing significant.

Wife is talking about selling out house and moving to Ohio. I really want to. she talks about it.

Sorry for my tidbit burst post.

General Contractor. Shit starting to fall apart in October. All stems from shit work by people that claimed they know how to do shit and don't. I went through 60 fuckers in my first year. Had to do a lot of rework, guys not showing up to work for days., etc..

GC doing what kind of work? residential? commercial? high rises?

my girl (HA!) works for a GC. they build commercial buildings from the ground up (walgreens, shoprite, medical offices etc.). she's been at some type of GC for over 30 years.

i guess it all depends on where you can find work and does it equal out the cost of living and by what margin. my best friend's son is the foreman for the concrete GC of a new 33 story building in the city. before that he worked for an internationally renown building that did some fancy schmancy art gallery in SOHO. kid is making lots of money. lives in hastings on the hudson which is like a mile south of me. big money. big rent. big mortgages. there is a big influx of out of state workers where i live on the hudson because of the new tappan zee bridge construction. guys will come in, work for 4-5 years, make a big nut, then go back to wherever they came from hoping to find some other type of work. lucky ones might get hired on by local companies and will have to move their families here.

the plan for us was/is to make your NY money, build your rep in NY and then move back to ohio where you can ask for big money (compared to others doing the same job) because of the fact that you have that NY (or any other big city) rep. people want to hire those who have lived in the big city rat race because they know they can handle almost any situation. not saying that others working elsewhere couldn't do the same, just saying there is that perception.

Good luck to you. What very little I know of GC work would be residential...and that means working on my own house. Lol. Doing a complete basement project that includes a full bath and kitchenette, so it's basically like building a small house (besides the roof). I've even had to have some foundation work. Finding the right people to do the work outside of what I'm doing myself, and then finding the right products for the job....it sucks! And I'm sure what I've done pales in comparision to everything you do as a GC.

I hope you find what you're looking for...

Okay, so I might be a freak fan. I hate this time of year. I am a browns fan in Long Beach CA...... a place that is not a place for a browns fan. My buddy moved to San Diego from L.A. who is from Ohio and so I can't watch a Browns game with a fellow fan this coming year. Wife is a fan via marriage. she is a girl fan of chargers. she likes the browns because of me.

You guys in Ohio get news feeds and shit. I get nothing other than NFL network and ESPN (manziel network formerly the Tebow network). College football sucks around here.. Hate USC. Okay with UCLA but nothing significant.

Wife is talking about selling out house and moving to Ohio. I really want to. she talks about it.

Sorry for my tidbit burst post.

Cmon man! This is the age of the internet. You don't need to live in the same state for news coverage. There are plenty of web sites, apps, and other things you can get your info from!

I love the Browns and my family in Ohio, but not nearly enough to move from sunny Florida. I love Orlando. I can be outdoors almost year round.

know a bunch of people in the biz. you CAN make money doing the GC thing but it's much more stressful and not the same security as working for someone else (depending on the co., i guess).

i think MLD woody was going to michigan for structural engineering.

anyhoo, give 'em hell!

I just graduated from Michigan with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I'm going to work as a Manufacturing Engineer for a large company a lot here have probably heard of. You weren't that far off though.

Good luck to the OP as well.

just tell them you're a browns fan.

you'll be a shoe in.

Believe it or not, I talked to my current boss about the Browns for a solid 15-20 minutes during my initial interview for a co-op a few years ago. It was during the 2012 preseason and we talked about Richardson and Weeden being the future of the team... lol

I just graduated from Michigan with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I'm going to work as a Manufacturing Engineer for a large company a lot here have probably heard of. You weren't that far off though.

Good luck to the OP as well.

Well there's a few of us here in the engineering field then. I graduated from Kent State with Associates in MET in 1995, went back for a 2+2 Bachelor received in 2004.

Archived