THE BROWNS BOARD

$15 fast food workers

LBC mike

anyone think this is a stupid idea? Most fast food work do not justify this type of pay? California liberall state is all about this. Don't know it angers me that these people are demanding 15 and they are going to get it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't think the people asking for that wage understand economics at all. At their current rate, they are more affordable than automation for the fast food companies. They will price themselves out of a job. Automation will become cheaper than the $15 an hour for low skilled workers and they will be unemployed....and still low skilled.

Yeah I don't think the people asking for that wage understand economics at all. At their current rate, they are more affordable than automation for the fast food companies. They will price themselves out of a job. Automation will become cheaper than the $15 an hour for low skilled workers and they will be unemployed....and still low skilled.

You guys don't think Democrats really want this? Guess what? The midterms are coming up and they have to keep the base, you know the 47 percent of deadbeats, fired up.

WSS

Yeah, and increase in their wage will just push the change for more automation. $15 seems very high, though I wouldn't be against raising the minimum wage now.

Also, I believe I read/heard somewhere that the increase in cost for the food really isn't that ridiculous. Doubling (around there) won't double the cost of the food. The prices will increase, but they won't go to a ridiculous level.

Here is an article calling out two reports that have estimated the price increases - http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115791/fast-food-wages-workers-demands-raise-menu-prices

So for example, one report has a $4 Big Mac going to $4.75.

I didn't read through each of the reports, so I am not sure how much they took in to affect. I am not sure if it is just increase min wage and nothing else changes resulting in the final price... or if they are assuming the fast food companies make cuts elsewhere to help counteract the price increase. I'm guessing its the first one.

If you raise the minimum wage to 15 you have to take everyone and adjust their wages to the same amount they were making above minimum wage before that. You'd even have to adjust for salaried employees. I don't think an awful lot of small businesses could afford something like that. The minimum wage could never shoot up like that.

Yeah, and increase in their wage will just push the change for more automation. $15 seems very high, though I wouldn't be against raising the minimum wage now.

Also, I believe I read/heard somewhere that the increase in cost for the food really isn't that ridiculous. Doubling (around there) won't double the cost of the food. The prices will increase, but they won't go to a ridiculous level.

Here is an article calling out two reports that have estimated the price increases - http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115791/fast-food-wages-workers-demands-raise-menu-prices

So for example, one report has a $4 Big Mac going to $4.75.

I didn't read through each of the reports, so I am not sure how much they took in to affect. I am not sure if it is just increase min wage and nothing else changes resulting in the final price... or if they are assuming the fast food companies make cuts elsewhere to help counteract the price increase. I'm guessing its the first one.

The big companies are not dumb and sure they do not want to double the salaries of the base employees. The prices might not increase as much but they will cut waste somewhere.

well, goodbye to the jobs for some disadvantaged students and retired people.

As well as, goodbye to a few employees, and/or hours.

I don't see it working out in the long run.

If you raise the minimum wage to 15 you have to take everyone and adjust their wages to the same amount they were making above minimum wage before that. You'd even have to adjust for salaried employees. I don't think an awful lot of small businesses could afford something like that. The minimum wage could never shoot up like that.

Why is that? You're assuming that we raising the value of fast food labor, so all other labor must rise in value. It could be that we under paying for the current value of fast food labor, and an increase in the min wage would just get us to a wage that matched the value.

Not saying I'm for $15, but your assertion isn't necessarily true.

A bit mac at 4.75 means that a combo meal that goes for 5.99 now may go for like 7.99 with fries and drink. Fuck that. I'd never pay 7.99 for a combo meal. 7.99 could buy an actual meal if we prepared it.

That's not how the conversion works out (assuming the price increase is equal across the board for all products). It would be like $7.10.

Why is that? You're assuming that we raising the value of fast food labor, so all other labor must rise in value. It could be that we under paying for the current value of fast food labor, and an increase in the min wage would just get us to a wage that matched the value.

Minimum wage isn't just for fast food workers. Retail, service industry, construction, etc., all utilize minimum wage.

It's all garbage food anyway, especially McDonalds.

Exactly. I don't remember the last time I ate McDonalds.

As a matter of fact many union contract requires that the wage for union workers must be X amount of dollars above the minimum wage.

FYI.

WSS

As a matter of fact many union contract requires that the wage for union workers must be X amount of dollars above the minimum wage.

FYI.

WSS

When I worked for the Carpenter's union, our contract was that way

If McDonald's wants to pay their employees 15 an hour that's one thing. But actually doubling the minimum wage would be disastrous

So, like take a guy working at home depot or something at around $15.00 an hour now. He feels decent about himself that he's making a living wage (kinda) now all or a sudden he's down to minimum wage. That's not gonna fly. Now this guy has to demand 21.50 to keep his kinda living wage up.

Still I could go buy all the fixings for actual hamburgers and grill them up myself at that price.

The extra $1.10 made the difference there? That's what will get you? I could see if you ate there all of the time, but most people don't. Am extra $1 here or there won't matter

So, like take a guy working at home depot or something at around $15.00 an hour now. He feels decent about himself that he's making a living wage (kinda) now all or a sudden he's down to minimum wage. That's not gonna fly. Now this guy has to demand 21.50 to keep his kinda living wage up.

Why does his wage have to shoot up? A raise in the salary of fast food workers doesn't necessarily mean the cost of EVERYTHING will increase by that same amount.

This is enjoyable..

and stupid...

Let's see why would a guy with a nominal skill set, enough to advise people on Tools or paint or whatever at Home Depot, be happy getting paid the same as the people with the lowest level ability in the world? I can't imagine....

Woody, how about we pay fast food workers on the same scale as engineers? You good with that?

WSS

A rise in minimum wage does not automatically mean inflation. The additional costs the company will face will not be 100% put on the consumer.

Why would we pay fast food workers the same as engineers? The goal here isn't just to pay them more, it is to pay them a more fair wage. If you believe that they are underpaid now, stemming from the fact it isn't a livable wage, then there is no issue with raising their wages and it doesn't affect how much an engineer is paid. This increase in wage could result in less minimum wage jobs or pushes for automation anyway.

For the Home Depot example, I'd personally rather work in a retail store than a fast food place for one. An increase in the minimum wage would increase some of the base retail associate wages. Again though, and increase in the minimum wage does not mean everything will spiral out of control cost wise and that inflation will become rampant.

MinimumWage_640px.png

Adjusted for inflation the minimum wage now isn't even at the highest point it ever was.

You have to look at the wage now for minimum wage workers and ask if it is fair for the work. If it is now, then raising the minimum wage will just move us to paying them in a manner more equal to their value. The cost of this increase would not be a 1:1 to the consumer, not even close, especially when you consider the other ways employers can cut cost.

There may be a small ripple affect through some other wages. Again, most likely not 1:1, and almost now affect the higher up you go. There is no certainty this will cause any form of increase inflation, the prices of everything you purchase now will not shoot up.

I am not sure I would be for the $15 and hour. I would need to see some reports and data about its effects. A large jump quickly may cause some issues, I'm not sure. But being against any minimum wage increase because of some incorrect belief it will cause awful inflation and cripple our economy is stupid.

The more skilled of a worker you have, the more the free market can dictate his wage. There is a smaller supply there. Minimum wage workers generally have a much more limited skill set and there is a large supply. There is no real need for McDonalds to compete with Burger King as far as wage goes. They will both get the labor they need. Therefore an outside entity is needed to make sure their wage fairly increase over time as natural inflation occurs. That being the minimum wage.

Why does his wage have to shoot up? A raise in the salary of fast food workers doesn't necessarily mean the cost of EVERYTHING will increase by that same amount.

You keep arguing for fast food workers to make more. Fine. That's McDonald's problem. But an increase in the minimum wage is every employers problem. Especially like a 5+ dollar increase

Archived