THE BROWNS BOARD

$15 fast food workers

LBC mike

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying that eating home with your family costs less than taking them out to McDonalds for dinner.

Yes, especially if the cost of higher wages are passed on to the customer. Even now you CAN eat healthier food at home for less money if you are willing to put the effort into it. A google search of "healthy meals on a budget" turns up many websites on the topic.

Uh yeah....

A cheeseburger french fries and a two liter coke is a lot healthier at home.

WSS

You have control over what goes into your meal at home. Which means you can make a healthy meal that costs the same as or even less than a McDonalds meal. If someone insisted on a Cheeseburger and fries at home, though, I could make it healthier than the McDonalds version.

If raising the fast food minimum wage means more people will buy real food and cook it themselves because it costs less than fast food then I'm all for it.

Thats pretty weak. What if they want burgers instead of "real food"? Cooking burgers at home now is probably cheaper than going to Macs anyway....and its not all about the cost, it's also about the convenience that fast food offers which cant be replaced.

Yes you can Osiris.

You "can" do a lot of things blood there's no reason to think anybody really would. Let's say a happy meal is 10 bucks so if I'm going to make my own meal I'll have twice as much cheese and hamburger on my sandwich.

Trying to save money and eat a healthy low fat low carb meal have little to do with each other.

When I have been in health conscious mode I've stopped at Burger King for the vegetable hamburger. Some sort of bein or protein patty grilled and slapped on a bun. No clue as to why the fast food joints product department isn't able to come up with a good tasting burger that's good for you. I think it would sell. The one they sold tasted worse than the Morningstar farms brand I buy and put on if we blind at home. But that has nothing to do with price. I have enough dough to go out to eat whenever I want.chicken wings beers vegetables for 2 at the winking lizard (or anywhere with an upscale beer selection) is maybe 30 bucks.

WSS

I'm not defending the wage increase. I'm just stating the fact that owners have slave labor working for them in the fast food industry.

Holy cow! Pun intended....you sound just like woody!

In no way shape or form is working at a fast food joint slave labor.

Actually if I'm a politician who garners votes by promising free shit to the deadbeats this is just how to do it. Hey I'll give you dimwit anything you want it will kick in in seven years!

By that time they've forgotten all about it anyway.

Also by then you will be hearing the mantra you can't feed yo family fo $15 an hour!

WSS

Thats pretty weak. What if they want burgers instead of "real food"? Cooking burgers at home now is probably cheaper than going to Macs anyway....and its not all about the cost, it's also about the convenience that fast food offers which cant be replaced.

Then eat burgers at home. It is cheaper and healthier than eating McDonald's burgers. That's exactly my point, you can choose to eat better if you want, even IF it is the same type of food that you get at McDonalds. You can make the same exact fries McDonalds makes and leave off half the salt and it is both healthier and cheaper. Who knows what fillers McDonald's puts in their meat? A burger you make at home won't have them. And yes, convenience is important to some people, but people should be aware that they are trading their health for that convenience. It isn't a trade-off I personally want to make on a regular basis.

Yes you can Osiris.

You "can" do a lot of things blood there's no reason to think anybody really would. Let's say a happy meal is 10 bucks so if I'm going to make my own meal I'll have twice as much cheese and hamburger on my sandwich.

Trying to save money and eat a healthy low fat low carb meal have little to do with each other.

When I have been in health conscious mode I've stopped at Burger King for the vegetable hamburger. Some sort of bein or protein patty grilled and slapped on a bun. No clue as to why the fast food joints product department isn't able to come up with a good tasting burger that's good for you. I think it would sell. The one they sold tasted worse than the Morningstar farms brand I buy and put on if we blind at home. But that has nothing to do with price. I have enough dough to go out to eat whenever I want.chicken wings beers vegetables for 2 at the winking lizard (or anywhere with an upscale beer selection) is maybe 30 bucks.

WSS

I disagree, I think the cost of a meal has a lot to do with what someone chooses to eat. People who eat unhealthy consistently will pay more than the money they forked over for that bag of grease. They'll pay for it in terms of health care costs down the road and they'll pay for it in terms of their quality of life.

I'll get to the rest later but if you think free food made it home is more sanitary than McDonalds you're out of your mind. At least in most cases I would assert. The health department is regularly up the ass off any restaurant citing them for tiny infractions that you and I would let slide every day.

WSS

I'll get to the rest later but if you think free food made it home is more sanitary than McDonalds you're out of your mind. At least in most cases I would assert. The health department is regularly up the ass off any restaurant citing them for tiny infractions that you and I would let slide every day.

WSS

I don't know about you, but I have a wife who sanitizes the kitchen after cooking every meal lol. In any case, that isn't what I mean by healthy. By healthy, I mean the nutritional quality of the food.

Dude my wife makes these burgers stuffed with Bleu cheese, caramelized onions and bacon. Out of this world. We can make four of them with sides for less than two value meals at McDonald's too.

Exactly what I'm getting at.

I don't know about you, but I have a wife who sanitizes the kitchen after cooking every meal lol. In any case, that isn't what I mean by healthy. By healthy, I mean the nutritional quality of the food.

Ahh. yeah Susan is a lot more meticulous than I am.... Also the few Muslims I know are exceedingly clean, is she? (Muslim that is, I assume she is clean...)

but we do have a bad attitude about fast food. I would wager that if I took a quarter pound of meat a small amount of tomato and lettuce with some cheese and dressing on it served it up on a plate with a baked potato topped with a bit of sour cream and butter and garnished with parsley it would look like a nice little dinner. Of course its exactly a quarter pounder.

Or if I took a Taco Bell meal and arranged it on a nice set of stoneware.

WSS

Ahh. yeah Susan is a lot more meticulous than I am.... Also the few Muslims I know are exceedingly clean, is she? (Muslim that is, I assume she is clean...)

but we do have a bad attitude about fast food. I would wager that if I took a quarter pound of meat a small amount of tomato and lettuce with some cheese and dressing on it served it up on a plate with a baked potato topped with a bit of sour cream and butter and garnished with parsley it would look like a nice little dinner. Of course its exactly a quarter pounder.

Or if I took a Taco Bell meal and arranged it on a nice set of stoneware.

WSS

LOL. Yes she is, but her need for clean goes beyond religious values for cleanliness. She's got a pretty sensitive stomach having gotten food poisoning twice in the past year, both times from eating out.

Dude my wife makes these burgers stuffed with Bleu cheese, caramelized onions and bacon. Out of this world. We can make four of them with sides for less than two value meals at McDonald's too.

That sounds amazing

Who actually gets "meals" at McDonalds though? Throughout colllege, and now, I just get things off of the dollar menu. Why spend $6 on one sandwich when I could get 3 McChickens and 3 McDoubles with that money?

Archived