THE BROWNS BOARD

$15 fast food workers

LBC mike

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These wages don't exist in a vacuum. Also, it could be that minimum is currently lagging behind in this "endless cycle". Also, I never said everything stays the same. I'm saying a 40% or whatever minimum wage increase won't mean a 40% increase in everything else. You act like what I'm saying is Retarded but there are plenty of economic reports on the issue.

An increase in the minimum wage won't be an issue for EVERY employer.

Can you imagine all the small business. your little shops, florist, donut shops. okay the big companies a can eat the cost and not effect us...... how about everyone else?

These wages don't exist in a vacuum. Also, it could be that minimum is currently lagging behind in this "endless cycle". Also, I never said everything stays the same. I'm saying a 40% or whatever minimum wage increase won't mean a 40% increase in everything else. You act like what I'm saying is Retarded but there are plenty of economic reports on the issue.

Woody trying to be a conversationist. Get ready for work big guy. It's a coming.

People would leave there jobs in droves, lining up for a fast food job if that happened. College enrollment would drop dramatically. Why go 100,000 in debt for a degree to make 17 dollars an hour when I can get a job out of highschool making 15 with no skills required?

It's the "woody does NOT get it" syndrome.

Hope it isn't catching, but he's giving "dense" an STD reputation.

All those folks working with marginal skills ...they

can easily be replaced.

Those kids with learning disabilities - see ya.

And that isn't even considering the smaller profit margin, and

raising prices.

People would leave there jobs in droves, lining up for a fast food job if that happened. College enrollment would drop dramatically. Why go 100,000 in debt for a degree to make 17 dollars an hour when I can get a job out of highschool making 15 with no skills required?

Really? You actually think that? Really?

Well for one there is absolutely no future in a fast food job. There is no career progression to be had (though a few may actually become a manager or higher). You will do that for the rest of your life. I'm guessing the benefits suck as well, not to mention it is generally just a shitty job.

If you went $100,000 in to debt to only make $17 an hour then you fucked up somewhere. You got a degree that wasn't marketable and over paid for it. But still, in that situation, you at least have the chance to progress in your career. You have a degree, you have some set of skills (hopefully). You aren't stuck in fast food.

So then when in your eyes (anyone can answer) do you believe the minimum wage should be raised? As seen by that graph I posted, it has been raised many times before. As also seen in that graph, adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage has been higher before. So it has been raised before... was it a mistake each time? If not, what in your mind warranted the increase that isn't present now?

Look at your own graph. It took about 50 years of constant changes to get to 7 bucks.

Now, you think that justifies more than doubling it in one day?

The impact will also be significant as the time frame...

Look at your own graph. It took about 50 years of constant changes to get to 7 bucks.

Now, you think that justifies more than doubling it in one day?

The impact will also be significant as the time frame...

Reading comprehension... get some.

I never said I was for $15 an hour. I found 3 posts in this thread where I explicitly said that. That seems high and it would be a large change very quickly.

They're just being smart and asking for an amount higher than what they expect to get. When you see something priced at $10, and you want it for $8.50, you might open at at $7 or so.

Didn't say you did. But you opined that the change wasn't

going to raise any significant problem with increase in prices.

It was an idiotic argument.

Try to keep up for a change, and you referred to the fact that

the minimum wage had changed several times....

I simply pointed out that you ignorantly neglected to admit or notice

the long time frame.

"Now, you think that justifies more than doubling it in one day?"

Sounds to me like you did...

What "time frame"? Each increase happens in its own short window. Look at the inflation adjusted graph. Large changes have happened already and our country still manages to exist. Many changes have happened over a long time frame, each change itself happening relatively quickly.

I already posted numbers from one study. The full $15 wage raises the price of a Big Mac from 4 to 4.75. That doesn't sound like s significant problem. And that's if they pass the cost 100% on to the consumer, which won't happen.

Like I asked earlier, what justified raising the minimum wage then, but not now?

Nobody's worried about the cost of a Big Mac, Woody. Except the lag in cost of goods/services. Here's an actual real example (not a guesstimate) to keep within the fast food realm, but switch the focus from McD's to Hardees/CarlsJr. 5 Years ago, there was a breakfast special (that I indulged from time to time): 2 Bacon Egg Cheese Biscuits for $2.22. That "special" is now $3.33. 50% increase. This may or may not be MinWage related, or just a change in Company accounting, but either scenario doesn't bode well for people on a budget.

The Minimum wage was never designed to be a livable wage. Its an entry level wage often associated with a less than full-time work week.

Read this report from the Congressional budget office on the loss of employment resulting from an increase in Min Wage: 2 options $10.10 & $9

Both, aren't so great.

Mehbe, the price of tomatoes should go up to 15 bucks a piece.

I could buy a new pickup truck !

("after all, tomato prices have increased in the past....@@")

I think Woody asked why I would suggest that fast food workers and engineers should get paid the same. Woody, uou don't believe in meritocracy, correct? So if, in your opinion, anybody that puts in a 40 hour week doing anything deserves to make enough money to support a family. So let's say the guy has 4 kids and a wife. Why doesn't he deserve to live in the same style of luxury as you? I mean he is working, correct? And if as you say it doesn't matter what kind of skills you have then what's the difference? It's only fair isn't it?

Why do you think you are better than him?

WSS

I think Woody asked why I would suggest that fast food workers and engineers should get paid the same. Woody, uou don't believe in meritocracy, correct? So if, in your opinion, anybody that puts in a 40 hour week doing anything deserves to make enough money to support a family. So let's say the guy has 4 kids and a wife. Why doesn't he deserve to live in the same style of luxury as you? I mean he is working, correct? And if as you say it doesn't matter what kind of skills you have then what's the difference? It's only fair isn't it?

Why do you think you are better than him?

WSS

I never said once it doesn't matter what set of skills they have, lol. I went so far as to say they have no skills/ the lowest skill set you could pretty much have. Myself and others deserve to be paid more because we have a much more valuable and marketable skillset. Why would I be against a meritocracy. That is exactly why I am where I am now and it will help me advance further.

If a guy has a wife and 4 kids, he won't be able to support them on minimum wage and only 40 hours a week. He should have thought better about having 4 kids in the first place. Then again though, he could have hit rough times and just took whatever he could. That is why we have govt assistance programs. I would hope that in time he could get himself back on his feet.

The guys deserves whatever he can get. He shouldn't be held back in anyway (pretty much). The only person that could hold him back is himself. If your set of skills only got you a minimum wage job then no, you shouldn't make as much money as someone that has a better job with a better skillset. We all have our strengths and weaknesses as human beings. I have certain strengths, along with some luck, that have allowed me to be successful and I hope to continue to be successful. For most people, it would be hard to say anyone better or worse than anyone else on a grand scale. But as far as someone's ability to be a successful worker/employer/etc, then you could probably take a stab at it.

I look forward to defending myself against things I never said in your next post. Cheers.

GO USA! (Game against Turkey is starting)

We should be paying teachers more, not fast food workers. The fast food worker is part of a supply chain that makes Americans less healthy. Teachers should be paid more because what they help produce is competent citizens that can command higher salaries with more marketable skills.

We should be paying teachers more, not fast food workers. The fast food worker is part of a supply chain that makes Americans less healthy. Teachers should be paid more because what they help produce is competent citizens that can command higher salaries with more marketable skills.

I don't disagree with this, but the fast food workers aren't really at fault. They are just trying to earn money. You'd need to go up the chain there I'd think.

People push the food into their mouths. No one forces them to do it. Typical liberal philosophy. Blame the restaurant, not the people. Those Michelle Obammy lunches are really working well. The kids wont eat them. And her kids go to a private school with real food. Imagine that.

Archived