THE BROWNS BOARD

Radical Muslims on the March

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the hummus terrorize you on its way out the other end?

I had some falafel that was a little scratchy on the way down once, and more than a couple of times I've been terrorised by kebabs on their way out.

Top Malaysian court rules "Allah" only for Muslims

image001-png_162613.png

By EILEEN NG5 hours ago

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia's top court on Monday upheld a government ban forbidding non-Muslims from using "Allah" to refer to God, rejecting an appeal by the Roman Catholic Church that argued that the ban failed to consider the rights of minorities in the mostly Muslim nation.

The Federal Court ruled in a 4-3 decision that the church's newspaper has no grounds to appeal a lower court decision last year that kept it from using "Allah" in its Malay-language weekly publication.

Allah is the Arabic word for God and commonly used in the Malay language to refer to God.

The government says Allah should be reserved exclusively for Muslims — who make up nearly two-thirds of the country's 29 million people — because if other religions use it that could confuse Muslims and lead them to convert.

Christian representatives deny this, saying that Christians, many of whom live on Borneo island, have long used the word to refer to God in their Bibles and songs before authorities sought to enforce the ban in recent years.

"We are disappointed. The four judges who denied us the right to appeal did not touch on fundamental basic rights of minorities?," said Rev. Lawrence Andrew, editor of the Catholic newspaper, The Herald.

Sweet, I've dreamed of exactly this for years. We have our own microcosm of this in my neighborhood. Our neighbors to the right are Jewish, to our left, Christian. We all get along very well and gather for social events almost weekly. It's not really about what religion you are, it's about whether or not you are an open-minded member of said religion.

Sweet, I've dreamed of exactly this for years. We have our own microcosm of this in my neighborhood. Our neighbors to the right are Jewish, to our left, Christian. We all get along very well and gather for social events almost weekly. It's not really about what religion you are, it's about whether or not you are an open-minded member of said religion.

I have plenty of muslim friends - less so jewish - and there's really no problems, no differences between people. I'm sure this will work perfectly fine, and the people who use it will get on as well as any other people. But then you'll inevitably get people targeting it.

The only things are whether the muslims you're with get offended/upset if you eat pork and drink beer.

I have plenty of muslim friends - less so jewish - and there's really no problems, no differences between people. I'm sure this will work perfectly fine, and the people who use it will get on as well as any other people. But then you'll inevitably get people targeting it.

The only things are whether the muslims you're with get offended/upset if you eat pork and drink beer.

They shouldn't! We don't, anyway. People need to know that their belief system is for themselves. They can't force it on anyone else.

They shouldn't! We don't, anyway. People need to know that their belief system is for themselves. They can't force it on anyone else.

Agree, but some people get offended. On top of that, you need to keep separate grills, bowls, cutlery etc. But that's no different to some vegetarians.

I disagree. If you actually believe I think it's your duty to spread the word. I realize that offends many people you don't want to hear the word whether it is from Muslims Christians Jews or Scientologists.

If you don't really believe it then who cares?

WSS

I disagree. If you actually believe I think it's your duty to spread the word. I realize that offends many people you don't want to hear the word whether it is from Muslims Christians Jews or Scientologists.

WSS

Of course you disagree. :P What I meant is it can't be forced on anyone else. If someone asks me why I don't drink or eat pork, I tell them. If they ask about my religion, I tell them. That's my definition of spreading the word, that and by trying to be an upstanding citizen. Being so offended about someone else's drinking or eating habits that you ask them not to do so in your presence, well that crosses the line. If it offends you, you can go elsewhere. Leave being judgmental up to God.

Of course you disagree. :P What I meant is it can't be forced on anyone else. If someone asks me why I don't drink or eat pork, I tell them. If they ask about my religion, I tell them. That's my definition of spreading the word, that and by trying to be an upstanding citizen. Being so offended about someone else's drinking or eating habits that you ask them not to do so in your presence, well that crosses the line. If it offends you, you can go elsewhere. Leave being judgmental up to God.

I don't mean you should forced it on someone. I mean that if I actually believed my friends were in jeopardy of losing their eternal soul or offending and angering God or Allah then I should try to help them see the truth. That's all. If you don't really believe it or if you only care about your own soul then it doesn't matter.

Let's make it more sectarian. If you're young nieces and nephews smoke cigarettes shouldn't you try to discourage it?

WSS

I'm talking about what people believe.

Your anti God evangelism really doesn't matter to this conversation. I'm talking to Osiris who apparently believes in his faith.

WSS

One situation is urging someone to do something because you THINK it is in their best interest

The other situation is urging them to do something because you KNOW it is in their best interest

"evangelism" ... lol

I don't mean you should forced it on someone. I mean that if I actually believed my friends were in jeopardy of losing their eternal soul or offending and angering God or Allah then I should try to help them see the truth. That's all. If you don't really believe it or if you only care about your own soul then it doesn't matter.

Let's make it more sectarian. If you're young nieces and nephews smoke cigarettes shouldn't you try to discourage it?

WSS

I suppose it depends on the thing you try to discourage. Stuff that is known to be harmful, well my faith tells me not to harm my body so that's one reason I don't smoke. But my faith also tells me only God knows what is in a person's heart and therefore it is up to God, not me, to judge. Classic example, with Ramadan coming up a supposed religious person might judge another Muslim as "bad" for not fasting. But if that person is diabetic, they aren't supposed to fast, and you can't really tell a diabetic just by looking at them.

One situation is urging someone to do something because you THINK it is in their best interest

The other situation is urging them to do something because you KNOW it is in their best interest

"evangelism" ... lol

Both situations are urging your friends family or neighbors to do things that are in their best interest. Now I realize you've got some sort of a hard on against religion. Which makes whatever you have to say meaningless. If you don't believe in it then shut the fuck up. but if you do, really do, I think it's your responsibility to tell others.

Kinda like squealing about man made global warming, for example.. If you really think we are going to destroy the world or harm ourselves then you should fight the good fight. If you don't really think so and you're just bitching for the sake of bitching then who cares?

I think if you aren't serious just leave everyone else alone.

WSS

WSS

You spread the word by being a good and decent human being. If you have to convince someone your faith is correct, your not doing it right. Your duty as a believer of any religion is to live by the philosophy of you're religion.

If you're belief is peaceful and just, people will follow.

Mathew 7:1 Judge not, let ye be not judged.

Taco you guys are certainly free to look at it anyway you like. As most the fellas over here no I'm not religious. Oftentimes I defend Christians but I suppose agnostic would describe me best. Still if I believed at my friends were missing out on eternal life in the kingdom of God I believe I should try to convince them to see the light.

I also don't think the chapter and verse you posted are relevant to this only because I'm sure there are references encouraging evangelism. Maybe I will look those up but... there is one of the top of my head about not hiding the light under a basket.

So I guess I'm saying the Evangelists in this world don't really bother me. I think their hearts are in the right place in wanting to help me find salvation.

If anyone has deeply held religious beliefs and knows in his heart that God wants to keep quiet about it I can support that too.

WSS

Taco you guys are certainly free to look at it anyway you like. As most the fellas over here no I'm not religious. Oftentimes I defend Christians but I suppose agnostic would describe me best. Still if I believed at my friends were missing out on eternal life in the kingdom of God I believe I should try to convince them to see the light.

I also don't think the chapter and verse you posted are relevant to this only because I'm sure there are references encouraging evangelism. Maybe I will look those up but... there is one of the top of my head about not hiding the light under a basket.

So I guess I'm saying the Evangelist in this world don't really bother me. I think their hearts are in the right place in wanting to help me find salvation.

If anyone has deeply held religious beliefs and knows in his heart that God wants to keep quiet about it I can support that too.

WSS

But there are a lot of people the Evangelists really do bother, either by trying to convert them from their current religion, or by trying to convince atheists to believe in something that empirically does not exist.

if I believed at my friends were missing out on eternal life in the kingdom of God I believe I should try to convince them to see the light.

I see why my stance might seem odd to you now. In Islam, Jews and Christians who follow God are considered believers and have "nothing to fear or regret." So we don't believe they will miss out on heaven. (You could make the case that atheists are another matter, but like I said, I believe an atheist who does good is a far far better person than a person who professes to perform violent acts in the name of their faith).Islam is seen by Muslims as a descendent of these two religions. That's why you see me saying God and not Allah, because we see Allah as just the Arabic word for God, not some separate being with a different name.

But there are a lot of people the Evangelists really do bother, either by trying to convert them from their current religion, or by trying to convince atheists to believe in something that empirically does not exist.

Ye Chris there are all kinds of people who might be annoyed. I'm sure that's to be expected.

And I don't know how many times I need to repeat it but that is not the point. The point is, at least from me, that if someone truly honestly and deeply believes that's there is salvation for the taking he or she should spread that word. I think there are many people just like that and also many people who just want to be assholes.

I have no problem with people the don't believe that.

As for anyone who wishes to argue against evangelism on a biblical level ask yourself what Jesus spent the last few years of his life doing. Trying to tell the world there was a path to eternal life.

From my own agnostic perception I wish I could believe in something beyond this world and many times have invited the missionaries n to talk. Not to bicker or argue or debate but to see if I can find truth where they have found it.

WSS

Both situations are urging your friends family or neighbors to do things that are in their best interest. Now I realize you've got some sort of a hard on against religion. Which makes whatever you have to say meaningless. If you don't believe in it then shut the fuck up. but if you do, really do, I think it's your responsibility to tell others.

Kinda like squealing about man made global warming, for example.. If you really think we are going to destroy the world or harm ourselves then you should fight the good fight. If you don't really think so and you're just bitching for the sake of bitching then who cares?

I think if you aren't serious just leave everyone else alone.

WSS

"Both situations are urging your friends family or neighbors to do things that are in their best interest."

Yes but in one situation its based off of an established fact. The other is based off of faith. The two situations are not the same.

I don't have a "hard on against religion"... I think we'd be better off without it, but people are free to do what they want. I just want important decisions that affect me being made based on facts and evidence, not blind faith. I've said this many times. You and some others act like I'm on a crusade against religion because I'll bring up something like seleration of church and state, or because I don't think Christians should get whatever they want. That's not true. I don't know how many times I have to say it ...

Also, I'm not sure what the climate change content has to do with anything. Its your same old take on the subject, and I've responded to it at length before...

It's pretty simple. If you truly believe the global warming is putting the planets in serious peril then I think you should try to get others to see it. If you don't really think it's that big a deal, danger wise, then don't bother.

I would imagine you have the mental ability to discern between something someone truly believes and something they just like to argue about.

WSS

It's pretty simple. If you truly believe the global warming is putting the planets in serious peril then I think you should try to get others to see it. If you don't really think it's that big a deal, danger wise, then don't bother.

I would imagine you have the mental ability to discern between something someone truly believes and something they just like to argue about.

WSS

You're making the point on the basis that they're both faith based. One has the backing of around 99% of scientists, the other has no basis in science at all.

You're making the point on the basis that they're both faith based. One has the backing of around 99% of scientists, the other has no basis in science at all.

I am NOT. I don't personally give a rats ass if you believe in God or not. But many who do feel they should help their fellow man find the truth. Not truth in your eyes, truth in their eyes.

I think maybe bitterness keeps some people from understanding that not everyone sees the world in the same way.

WSS

Archived