THE BROWNS BOARD

JF leapfrogs Hoyer (accord. to source)

Kvoethe

Browns source: Manziel leapfrogged Hoyer in quarterback competition

Aug 10 2014, 10:35 AMDavid P. Woods

Quarterback Johnny Manziel's steady (if unremarkable) performance in the Cleveland Browns' preseason opener may have vaulted the rookie past veteran Brian Hoyer and into the lead in the race to become the Browns' Week 1 starter.

ESPN's Bob Holtzman says he's spoken to a source with the Browns and heard precisely that:

Manziel played mostly with the Browns' second-team offense Saturday and compiled 63 yards through the air on 7-for-11 passing, and he added 27 yards rushing on six carries. The pro game didn't appear too fast for him; on the contrary, Manziel looked cool, collected and confident.

Manziel will reportedly draw the start for the Browns' second preseason contest - a nationally televised game on ESPN's "Monday Night Football". If he turns in another strong performance, he could lock up the starting job for the Browns' regular season opener on Sept. 7 in Pittsburgh.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns source: Manziel leapfrogged Hoyer in quarterback competition

Aug 10 2014, 10:35 AMDavid P. Woods

Quarterback Johnny Manziel's steady (if unremarkable) performance in the Cleveland Browns' preseason opener may have vaulted the rookie past veteran Brian Hoyer and into the lead in the race to become the Browns' Week 1 starter.

ESPN's Bob Holtzman says he's spoken to a source with the Browns and heard precisely that:

Manziel played mostly with the Browns' second-team offense Saturday and compiled 63 yards through the air on 7-for-11 passing, and he added 27 yards rushing on six carries. The pro game didn't appear too fast for him; on the contrary, Manziel looked cool, collected and confident.

Manziel will reportedly draw the start for the Browns' second preseason contest - a nationally televised game on ESPN's "Monday Night Football". If he turns in another strong performance, he could lock up the starting job for the Browns' regular season opener on Sept. 7 in Pittsburgh.

that statement, with "may" in it, doesn't exactly match the title of the article... no news here Bob Holtzman...

ok dude. You're starting to make us Texans look bad. Mik doesn't need any more ammo

LOL-I am also a realist on the texags.com board where they refuse to acknowledge we don't have a LB that could catch a train at a scheduled stop.

I was pleasantly surprised with Johnny's velocity and accuracy. He has a long way to go as it was game 1, and it was just with the 2s vs the 2s. He has lots, and lots of learning to do, but his arm is better than I feared.

I don't get the problem with Manziel maybe starting with the ones next game?

I mean, it gives both qb's an op to show what they can accomplish in both

situations.

That's just a fair eval. Nothing else should be read into it, I think.

Retweeted by Cleveland Browns

Pettine: We have not made a decison for which QB will start against the Redskins. There's no clear-cut favorite. Both can be NFL starters

It makes no sense to me to start the season with JF. The schedule is tough and he is a rookie who can learn from a couple of games on the bench. I agree that Hoyer will have a short leash and would have to play lights-out to stay on the field. But he should have the first three games.

PS Hoyer will never excel in a 1.5 quarter game because his strength is game management. He excels over the course of a full game, making few mistakes and taking what the defense gives him. I'm as ready as the next person to see the JF era in Cleveland, but Hoyer deserves his chance, and I wouldn't doubt his ability to succeed. When he was on a roll last year, he was moving the team consistently down the field and was extremely effective and efficient.

I'm not taking a side, just posting a link.

Just curious what would you expect the coach to say?

Just posting a link as well.

Curious, what would you expect a hack with an "un-named source" to say?

Well the title of the article just says "could." I can make that fucking prediction.

The Browns "could" coax Joe Namath out of retirement.

They "could" go with a brilliant new offense from Shanahan that has no quarterback.

But guys that write sports stuff for a living need a story. And I would bet every sports writer knows a handful of people that work for the team who might say "hey you can't tell anybody I told you but..."

WSS

The player that gives the Browns the best chance to win should start opening day, and every game after. As of this posting, the coaches don't know who that is. Hopefully they will have a better idea after next Monday night.

To bad Johnny didnt go to another team. Bunch of ungrateful fans here.

I agree. Then all you nutlickers could piss off another teams fans with your agenda filled drivel.

Ungrateful? We should be grateful for what exactly? Mini me's presence?

See....that's why no one likes you manzealots. You're out of touch with reality. You're bias allows to be dub him the second coming after a typical rookie outing in his first preseason game. Envy is a bitch.....jealousy invites irrationality.

Thanks for the warning, Westside. Look Manziel probably has twice the potential that Hoyer has. And call me "old school" but I believe in rewarding success and in patience / break-in for rookies.

And as far as Hoyer being a game manager, have we forgotten:

Minnesota: Hoyer threw three touchdowns in the win. He came through in the clutch and threw a 7-yard TD pass to Cameron with 51 seconds left as the Browns rallied to stun the Vikings.

Cincinnati: Hoyer threw two touchdown passes in his first start at home to lead the revived Browns to a 17-6 win over the Bengals including a 1 yard TD pass to Chris Ogbonnaya with 4:54 left to give the Browns (2-2) the 11-point lead

I know we only have two games to base this on, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching those two games and I thought Hoyer showed tremendous effectiveness and skill under stress.

There are plenty of reasons why Manziel should start on opening day.

He is going to make mistakes and you have to give him a chance to grow into the position. .

I dont think the NFL was like it was back in the day for rookie QBs. Many of them have immediately come in and been successful. The rules favor the offense and protecting the QB.

I also think these coaches have to win now. Playing around with a safer option might not translate to wins. The owner has no problem chunking a coaching staff after a season. Manziel will sacrifice his body for a yard. They will need that mentality to win in a tough division.

I say start Johnny. If he gets hurt (which is a real possibility) Hoyer will come in and save the day.

Plenty of reasons to not start Manziel right out of the gate too. You mentioned it- Manziel showed a propensity to sacrifice his body for a yard- that's a quick trip to IR in the NFL.

The first three games are brutal. Steelers on the road for the opener? Sure. I don't want to see JF toss a few pick sixes right out of the gate and get the fanbase POed at him. You may find it hard to believe- but JFF does not have a monopoly on Cleveland loyalty- at least not yet. He'll get reamed- and justifiably so, if you toss him in against the Steelers, and he stinks up the place.

To bad Johnny didnt go to another team. Bunch of ungrateful fans here.

That would have been tremendous- because YOU certainly wouldn't be here. Ungrateful because we don't think Johnny is quite capable of this? At least not yet?

12021_Holy_Moses_White_Ale.jpg

Hoyer throws nice passes, has good timing, makes great reads and is accurate

Manziel is more of gunslinger like a young Brett Favre, he has a good arm, he can move as well as anyone. The extra dimension is his ability to extend plays.

If The Browns don't rush this, I can see Manziel being our franchise QB and carrying the team on his back.

As for now, I would keep Hoyer as the starter unless he absolutely stinks up the place.

Plenty of reasons to not start Manziel right out of the gate too. You mentioned it- Manziel showed a propensity to sacrifice his body for a yard- that's a quick trip to IR in the NFL.

The first three games are brutal. Steelers on the road for the opener? Sure. I don't want to see JF toss a few pick sixes right out of the gate and get the fanbase POed at him. You may find it hard to believe- but JFF does not have a monopoly on Cleveland loyalty- at least not yet. He'll get reamed- and justifiably so, if you toss him in against the Steelers, and he stinks up the place.

That would have been tremendous- because YOU certainly wouldn't be here. Ungrateful because we don't think Johnny is quite capable of this? At least not yet?

12021_Holy_Moses_White_Ale.jpg

Thats what pisses me off about the JFF fanboys. If he succeeds it will be 'I told you so, even though you didn't want him to succeed'. If he fails it will be 'because the coaches didn't utilize him correctly, and the fan base didn't support him.'. STFU already. If he succeeds it will be because he is good. If he fails vice versa.

Thats what pisses me off about the JFF fanboys. If he succeeds it will be 'I told you so, even though you didn't want him to succeed'. If he fails it will be 'because the coaches didn't utilize him correctly, and the fan base didn't support him.'. STFU already. If he succeeds it will be because he is good. If he fails vice versa.

+1

Archived