THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon Suspended for a Year

MLD Woody

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't matter if it's wearing a blue shirt. The rule says not to do it, yet you keep doing it or at least put yourself at risk.

Yes, I think it should be legal, and yes I totally hate this, but it's very simple. Stop breaking rules.

You obviously haven't been staying abreast of what actually went down. No way he actually smoked weed with a 16 and a 13 on his test (those are barely secondhand results). And if the tester arbitrarily labeled his A and B sample differently, he wouldn't be in this position at all. The testing procedure is ridiculous.

I'm not pissed off that it's a year, we all knew that was likely coming. But the time they took on this was a complete joke. They fucked our team, not just Josh Gordon. They hand out penalties for way way way worse in 100th the sweet time they took with this. And they fucked us cause he won't be in camp next year. I honestly thought the other day this meant that no way they would hand down a full year suspension cause it's like basically saying fuck you Cleveland..not fuck you Josh Gordon anymore.

I'm being dead serious the NFL is teetering pretty close to losing my interest. With how over sponsored the whole thing has become, with how they're sissifying the sport...with how they want to dilute their entire brand by having games every day of the week.....I'm about done here in a year or two. Honestly this is becoming a sport I envision watching for only a couple years at most if things continue on this path. Once players have to start wearing the league or team sponsors on their jerseys....or, as I've heard things might go, teams become the name of their corporate sposors. In that case the Browns would be, just for example, the Quicken Loans Browns "from Cleveland"...as an afterthought. Sports over for me. I mean it...I will not follow this deluded culture into that wasteland of corporate driven materialism.

Doesn't matter if it's wearing a blue shirt. The rule says not to do it, yet you keep doing it or at least put yourself at risk.

Yes, I think it should be legal, and yes I totally hate this, but it's very simple. Stop breaking rules.

Yep. Rules is rules.

People always want to diminish the level of offense.....guess what, steal a dollar or steal a hundred dollars.....it's still stealing.

Josh didnt just "smoke weed".....he smoked weed over and over and over and got thrown off his college team, then smoked weed again and got in more trouble and had to leave school, then he tested positive for Codiene(even though he KNEW he couldn't use it), then he tested positive for weed again, then he got stopped for speeding and had a car full of weed again, then he got stopped for drunk driving....

He's a dumb ass.....albiet, one that can catch and run really well. Who knows, maybe he can get a job as a drug runner or something

How can anyone still defend this loser .....it makes me sick and, personally, I have no issues with weed, just idiots like Josh who think they are above it all.....

You obviously haven't been staying abreast of what actually went down. No way he actually smoked weed with a 16 and a 13 on his test (those are barely secondhand results). And if the tester arbitrarily labeled his A and B sample differently, he wouldn't be in this position at all. The testing procedure is ridiculous.

Reread my post and note the line "or at least put himself at risk"

This will be my last post in this thread, as I am over Puffy. He knew the rules. It is NOT up for discussion whether or not "weed is bad". It's against his employer's rules. PERIOD. If he doesn't like his employer's rules, then he is free to look for employment elsewhere. Now that that is out of the way ( yea, right.... How many people will still post after this saying, "It's only pot, and RR beat his wife and only got 2 games".... LOTS)

He is selfish and only thought of himself, and now he's gonna pay the price........ As will his teammates, coaches and fans. If you can't do the time, don't load the bowl.

I agree with these sentiments, sans the selfish comments (neither you or I know the situation so easy on the judgement there) but the employment law violates the state law in which Gordon works in...so Gordon could pursue the legality of the ruling...

I know I'm wasting my breath. But it's not for weed smoking. It's for repeated violations of a clear rule.

And that rule is that it is illegal to have controlled substances in your blood while employed by the NFL.

A guy passes 70 drug tests over the last year and one inconclusive test is enough for a year's banishment. It is ridiculous.

And that rule is that it is illegal to have controlled substances in your blood while employed by the NFL.

A guy passes 70 drug tests over the last year and one inconclusive test is enough for a year's banishment. It is ridiculous.

Getting a DUI doesn't help. Why the incessant defense?

I think the punishment for weed is way too harsh, but until it's changed this is going to happen. I do hope this case changes the faulty testing procedures, but it'll be too late for josh

Anyone have a link to contact the NFL?

Best I could find...

http://www.nfl.com/contact-us

The button labeled "Other" opens a comment window...

I just sent the following

Just received the news that Josh Gordon's appeal has been denied. I am extremely disappointed in this decision for two reasons.

First, I am disappointed that Commissioner Goodell did not meet with Josh. To have publically acknowledge that face-to-face meetings played a role in reducing the suspensions doled out in the past yet not meet with a player facing a year-long suspension is unconscionable.

Second, I am disappointed that the NFL is choosing to dig in its heels on an issue where public sentiment change lags only the gay rights issue.

The NFL's decision in this case is simply wrongheaded. I hope that paths/ actions are available to Mr. Gordon to right the wrong the league office has done him this day.

Sincerely,

My other take on this is that the Browns didn't bow to NFL pressure and throw JF in there for opening day. JF sells, everybody wants to see how he's gonna do. Regardless of whether he was ready or not the NFL wanted him in there. The move to start Hoyer cost the NFL in some way so they're saying FUCK YOU Cleveland. Had you started JF we'd have given you Gordon after a couple games. Ok now I'm taking the tin foil hat off....but something just strikes me as off with this whole deal and I can't help but wonder if us drafting JF had something to do with this.

I just sent the following

Just received the news that Josh Gordon's appeal has been denied. I am extremely disappointed in this decision for two reasons.
First, I am disappointed that Commissioner Goodell did not meet with Josh. To have publically acknowledge that face-to-face meetings played a role in reducing the suspensions doled out in the past yet not meet with a player facing a year-long suspension is unconscionable.
Second, I am disappointed that the NFL is choosing to dig in its heels on an issue where public sentiment change lags only the gay rights issue.
The NFL's decision in this case is simply wrongheaded. I hope that paths/ actions are available to Mr. Gordon to right the wrong the league office has done him this day.
Sincerely,

nicely done.

Ok now I'm taking the tin foil hat off....but something just strikes me as off with this whole deal and I can't help but wonder if us drafting JF had something to do with this.

really???.......

How about JG just got the same punishment every other player has gotten for the same offenses. Precedents HAVE been set and, now, followed. Everyone wanted the NFL to handle Josh "differently" and then when they didn't, it becomes a conspiracy?

Thats it....Josh got suspended because the Browns wont start Manziel...NOW I've heard it all.....!

The league is going to use their drug policy to open up a collective bargaining session now instead of waiting till 2021. Drug policy/ higher cap for 18 regular season games. They had to go balls out on the punishment with a drug issue involved to get the union to go for it and have indicated they could go for 2 more games.

So if he is found guilty of the DUI, what does the league policy call for since he is already on a year suspension for drug policy violation?

Do they have a death penalty that precludes ever playing again for JG? :o

The Browns took a chance on a talented player who already had the same problems while at Baylor. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and move on.

like I said it was the tinfoil hat. My issue was not with the suspension though dude...you need to read that carefully again. It was the absolutely unprecedented way in which they handled it. Knowing full well that waiting and then dropping the 365 suspension was not just royally fucking him but the whole Browns organization. Had we known Gordon was gonna go down for 365 the browns could have moved him or made some other drastic WR moves. At least we'd have played other people during the preseason...we would told someone hey, you know you're gonna the 1 right? Something just smells funny with how they've handled it. This suspension could have come down months ago dude wtf?

really???.......

How about JG just got the same punishment every other player has gotten for the same offenses. Precedents HAVE been set and, now, followed. Everyone wanted the NFL to handle Josh "differently" and then when they didn't, it becomes a conspiracy?

Thats it....Josh got suspended because the Browns wont start Manziel...NOW I've heard it all.....!

Getting a DUI doesn't help. Why the incessant defense?

I think the punishment for weed is way too harsh, but until it's changed this is going to happen. I do hope this case changes the faulty testing procedures, but it'll be too late for josh

I'm not defending him. I'm saying the testing procedure, as well as the appeals process, is a complete joke.

Some people are making it out to be that Gordon has failed every test ever given, when that isn't the case. He kept his nose clean, he passed 70 random drug tests, and one borderline test was enough to ban him. I'm sure that in every normal test, there's an acceptable margin of error and that Gordon's "positive" test fell within that margin, yet the NFL is disregarding that information because he's a repeat offender.

The NFL is a joke, plain and simple. Roger Goodell is a fucking waste of space.

should have hired barry scheck as part of his defense team. he could've cross examined the test giver like he did dennis fung at the oj trial.

courttv anyone?

and cochran (if that piece of shit were still alive)...... "if he didn't smoke it, you can't revoke it."

The league is going to use their drug policy to open up a collective bargaining session now instead of waiting till 2021. Drug policy/ higher cap for 18 regular season games. They had to go balls out on the punishment with a drug issue involved to get the union to go for it and have indicated they could go for 2 more games.

I'd say they will use it to leverage HGH testing over 18 games-

Wife beating = 2 games. Weed smoking = 1 year. Way to go Rodger. :angry:

I totally get this perspective. However it was Gordon's third offense. He had to go supplemental because of stuff like this and that's why he grabbed one year. Hell after he picked up his third he then went out and grabbed a DUI. The year suspension could save his career, the ball is in his court.

Before I go on an uneducated rant, what if any precedent does Gordon have for a lawsuit against the NFL? I'm the first to admit the kid is a knucklehead who has made a lot of questionable decisions. But this whole process from start to finish reeks of incompetance and flat out questionable ethics from the NFL league office. I'd be absolutely incensed right now if I was the Browns organization over this whole fiasco.

Imagine the truckload of weed he is going to smoke sitting at home all season.

Not a surprise. Id cut him if i was the Browns. As talent as he is, just too much risk and trouble.

Farmer needs to get his head out of his ass. Go find another WR dumbass.

Right now we're not "risking" anything. We don't have to pay him for a year.

You're telling me that a guy who has gotten more receiving yards in his first 2 years than every other WR in HISTORY except 2 isn't worth the risk? Ya... with the likes of Weeden, Campbell, and Hoyer throwing to him... being suspended 2 games his 2nd year... and the ONLY 2 WRs EVER to have more yards in their first 2 years were Jerry Rice and Randy Moss...

Hmmmm... Risk vs Reward... Risk = another suspension. Reward = Hall of fame talent

I think he is worth the risk... and I'm nowhere near cutting him yet if I'm the Browns...

Before I go on an uneducated rant, what if any precedent does Gordon have for a lawsuit against the NFL? I'm the first to admit the kid is a knucklehead who has made a lot of questionable decisions. But this whole process from start to finish reeks of incompetance and flat out questionable ethics from the NFL league office. I'd be absolutely incensed right now if I was the Browns organization over this whole fiasco.

Simply put... Ohio Labor Law says his test (if the reported "levels" are accurate) was negative b/c of a "below level" screen on the "B" bottle, but the NFL SA Policy says it's positive b/c of "any presence" of THC in the "B" Bottle. According to Federal Law, the Ohio Labor Law outweighs the NFL SA Policy...

He could file for a Restraining Order, which would halt the suspension, while the legal process plays out...

If that were the case, and he won, he would still face a possible suspension for the DUI; however, that is part of the Personal Conduct Policy and has nothing to do with the SA Policy, and that case was postponed until late November.

Archived