THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden most likely out vs. Steelers with hip injury

WalterWhite

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much of a drop off with the way Joe has been playing. Hoyer and Tate better be on, cause we will need to score 30+ to win.

CB Joe Haden possibly out Sunday; Justin Gilbert back in?
October, 6, 2014
OCT 6
5:21
PM ET
By Jeremy Fowler | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns could be without their top cornerback for a key divisional game.

The status of Joe Haden for this coming Sunday's home game against Pittsburgh is "potentially in the air" because of a hip injury, coach Mike Pettine said on Monday.

When discussing first-round cornerback Justin Gilbert, who has had a difficult rookie season and played nine snaps in Sunday's 29-28 win over Tennessee, Pettine said Gilbert might have to play because of Haden's shaky status.

Haden suffered a hip injury in Nashville but didn't miss a snap. He was evaluated on Monday but Pettine didn't provide details of his status at his news conference.

Gilbert, meanwhile, has seen his snaps reduced from 59 in the opener to 47 to 14 to nine. Undrafted rookie K'Waun Williams has outplayed him. Williams played 36 snaps Sunday, mostly as a nickel corner with Haden and Buster Skrine on the outside.

Pettine said he prefers not to move outside corners inside and vice versa, which means if he wants to keep Williams inside, he'll likely have to play Gilbert outside.

Gilbert has struggled with penalties and giving up big plays, including a 24-yard reception byMarkus Wheaton to set up Pittsburgh's game-winning field goal in Week 1, but a first-round pick with raw talent will get every chance to succeed.

"Practice -- just keep getting after it," said Pettine on what Gilbert needs to do to crack the lineup. "We haven't given up on Justin -- it's just something he has to work through."

If gamesmanship is in play here, maybe Pettine expects Haden to play but wants to keep Gilbert on edge with his public comments. The Browns must do what it takes to motivate the prized investment that clearly has athletic talent.

Perhaps it's too early to overreact, but such a drastic drop in snaps is alarming for Gilbert, whom the Browns traded down to draft at No. 8.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8533/cb-joe-haden-possibly-out-for-steelers-struggling-rookie-gilbert-back-in

Doesn't matter who plays, the rule changes have killed all corners, it's an impossible job now.

that's why they are first round picks and when good get tons of money.

some people just don't understand that. the same ones that say they'd never pick an OL in the first round.

dumb as a brick.

Doesn't matter who plays, the rule changes have killed all corners, it's an impossible job now.

I agree. This is playing out with teams all over the league. In time I can see zone defence being the stock D in passing situations.

I agree. This is playing out with teams all over the league. In time I can see zone defence being the stock D in passing situations.

perfect example of the man to man coverage being a thing of the past in last nite's game with washington getting burned time and time again.

Side note: Where is Desir?

Browns inactives this week:

CLEVELAND BROWNS

#26 DB Pierre Desir

#41 RB Glenn Winston

#42 DB Robert Nelson

#67 DL Ishmaa'ily Kitchen

#83 WR Rodney Smith

#89 TE Gerell Robinson

#93 DL John Hughes

So far, Williams has blown past both Desir and Gilbert.

Zombo

He looked good on a few plays, looked really bad on a few. Wiffed on the first Kendall Wright touchdown pass and let him walk right in for the score. Doesn't seem like anybody on the defense knows how to tackle though. At 5'8" I'd say he is a nickel guy for life.

It is nice to see all these undrafted guys that Farmer brings in showing signs of life. Change of pace for the Browns

Even with Haden playing poorly, I hope he is out there on Sunday. If not, hope Gilbert has a lights out game and shows why he was drafted so high.

Browns inactives this week:

CLEVELAND BROWNS

#26 DB Pierre Desir

#41 RB Glenn Winston

#42 DB Robert Nelson

#67 DL Ishmaa'ily Kitchen

#83 WR Rodney Smith

#89 TE Gerell Robinson

#93 DL John Hughes

So far, Williams has blown past both Desir and Gilbert.

Zombo

Hughes and Kitchen I thought were a couple of mainstays on our D-Line. Why are they inactive?

And let me ask this question: Why the fuck should anyone on the roster be inactive?

The NFL allows what? a 53 man roster, but only allows like 45 of them to be "active"? What is the fucking point of that? It is as stupid a rule as I know of. You are paying these motherfuckers a lot of money to be on the roster, let them play in the game. Why on earth would a roster player be declared to have to sit out?

It is a useless, stupid, dumbass fucking rule in my opinion.

Hughes and Kitchen I thought were a couple of mainstays on our D-Line. Why are they inactive?

And let me ask this question: Why the fuck should anyone on the roster be inactive?

The NFL allows what? a 53 man roster, but only allows like 45 of them to be "active"? What is the fucking point of that? It is as stupid a rule as I know of. You are paying these motherfuckers a lot of money to be on the roster, let them play in the game. Why on earth would a roster player be declared to have to sit out?

It is a useless, stupid, dumbass fucking rule in my opinion.

Not that I agree with the rule 100%, but the reason they have the inactive list and 45 man "game day" roster is so both teams are equal and have the same # of healthy players...........

While one teams 8 man inactive list may be full of bumps, bruises and injured players....the other teams might not.....so this is a fair way for each team to start on an even playing field with the same # of healthy reserves.......

Judging from the past, I believe I could cover Brown better than Haden

Plus, based upon that AND the fact Haden hasn't really played great, there shouldnt be a big drop off here just because he's hurt.

Brown catches a lot of balls, but chokes when it counts. Right now he is tied for 3rd in the league(with Watkins) for the most drops. Remember he had 2 td's against the Bucs, then dropped the EASY game winning td. Par for the course. We will be fine.

Based upon the 2014 "drop pass list", Brown has more drops than the entire Cleveland Browns team, which, so far, has only 1 for the season.

We will be fine. Brown will catch some balls in a losing effort. And will drop the one that counts.

Plus, based upon that AND the fact Haden hasn't really played great, there shouldnt be a big drop off here just because he's hurt.

Brown catches a lot of balls, but chokes when it counts. Right now he is tied for 3rd in the league(with Watkins) for the most drops. Remember he had 2 td's against the Bucs, then dropped the EASY game winning td. Par for the course. We will be fine.

Based upon the 2014 "drop pass list", Brown has more drops than the entire Cleveland Browns team, which, so far, has only 1 for the season.

We will be fine. Brown will catch some balls in a losing effort. And will drop the one that counts.

Post the link for 2014 drops. I have one that has him listed at 19th with 3 drops on the year. 34 receptions on 54 targets. Do you always talk out of your ass?

Post the link for 2014 drops. I have one that has him listed at 19th with 3 drops on the year. 34 receptions on 54 targets. Do you always talk out of your ass?

Yes. we are looking at the same list. He's listed as 19TH, but TIED for 3rd. Are you too dumb to read & interpret the list?

Considering the BROWNS have one drop as a team, it's realistic to say 3 is a bit much for one player this early.

Of course you wont agree. Expected. Save your breath, because the facts are the facts.

Bet you wish he caught that ball in Tampa. That was one huge drop.

Yes. we are looking at the same list. He's listed as 19TH, but TIED for 3rd. Are you too dumb to read & interpret the list?

Considering the BROWNS have one drop as a team, it's realistic to say 3 is a bit much for one player this early.

Of course you wont agree. Expected. Save your breath, because the facts are the facts.

Bet you wish he caught that ball in Tampa. That was one huge drop.

You work for fox new by chance? Holy taking things out of context batman. 3 drops on 34 receptions is a bit much heading into week 6? Hilarious. Antonio brown is tied for 3rd with the guys like dez Bryant, Vincent Jackson, gronk, Calvin johnson, Randall Cobb. Brown should hang them up now.

You work for fox new by chance? Holy taking things out of context batman. 3 drops on 34 receptions is a bit much heading into week 6? Hilarious. Antonio brown is tied for 3rd with the guys like dez Bryant, Vincent Jackson, gronk, Calvin johnson, Randall Cobb. Brown should hang them up now.

Hey. Brown is a fine receiver. No debate there. And I didn't say he should hang em up. I just said he drops important passes. 3 on 34 would be almost 10%, which is a LOT. Heck, if we dropped passes at that rate, then we'd have 10 drops instead of 1.

Like Biilychuck used to say, "I can only go by what I see". And I see Brown as #3 on the drops list and I saw Brown drop the game winner last week. Or is this all just a dream?

So, you can call it talking out of my ass, but I call it stats and facts.

When, since 1999, has anyone imagined that after 4 games the entire Cleveland Browns team would, so far, only have 1 drop for the season. Greg Little could do that on one series... Davone Bess... Q.... Bray Bray... every time the ball went in the air, my heart would drop in my stomach...

When, since 1999, has anyone imagined that after 4 games the entire Cleveland Browns team would, so far, only have 1 drop for the season. Greg Little could do that on one series... Davone Bess... Q.... Bray Bray... every time the ball went in the air, my heart would drop in my stomach...

And that 1 drop was early in the first game. Miles Austin. No drops since.

And when Benji elevates and hauls in 2 clutch "hands only" game winning touchdowns, then things are going pretty great! Just happy it wasn't Antonio Brown that Hoyer was throwing to in the endzone. He would have dropped one of them.

Just another example of how much better Ray Farmer has made this team. Little, Bess, Masaquoi(sic), Robiski weren't that long ago, yet they are forgotten.

Not that I agree with the rule 100%, but the reason they have the inactive list and 45 man "game day" roster is so both teams are equal and have the same # of healthy players...........

While one teams 8 man inactive list may be full of bumps, bruises and injured players....the other teams might not.....so this is a fair way for each team to start on an even playing field with the same # of healthy reserves.......

Bullshit. Injuries are part of the game. If one team is banged up and the other is not, then the team with fewer banged up players should have an advantage. If they are that bad, put them on some injured list.

(I am not saying that you are full of bullshit, I think you are probably right on. I think the rule and the reasoning for it is BS.)

Archived