THE BROWNS BOARD

Did I hear right on the radio that Kruger is out for Sunday?

Clevfan4life

Fuck my ass running that makes Kruger, Taylor and Haden? Can we just give the Steelers the game so we can rest the whole team cause apparently the bye week did nothing. Did our guys just party during their week off? Does anyone else think that early bye's suck cause the players aren't yet broken down to the point where they take that week off uber seriously and use it to heal up?

Fuck my ass running that makes Kruger, Taylor and Haden? Can we just give the Steelers the game so we can rest the whole team cause apparently the bye week did nothing. Did our guys just party during their week off? Does anyone else think that early bye's suck cause the players aren't yet broken down to the point where they take that week off uber seriously and use it to heal up?

No. You heard wrong. He sat "out" of practice today. Doesn't exactly mean he won't play.

Yeah, I pretty much did not expect them to get this one anyway, and with all the hype I'm hearing from the Talking Heads and now these injuries . . .

Kruger and Dansby are really the only players on D that have been playing well, so this will hurt.

We will have Kitchen active for this game, maybe Hughes (injury?) as well.

Also it looks like Martin will be active this game as well, he showed pretty well last week on the few plays he was in.

Mingo is going to have increased play time as well if Kruger is out.

Yeah, yeah, I'm giving Mingo another year before I call him a bust - second new System, second Coaching staff, and only second year in the League, plus they want him to put on more weight and play differently.

Give him a chance.

If Krugs sits then maybe we go to the 4-3...

A pair of Bryants, Sheard and Mingo at DE. Other active beef at DT...

Dansby in the middle flanked by Kirksey and Robertson...

Not too shabby...

I cant stand such early bye weeks. Week 6 at the earliest.

Sorry man but this is the kind of comment that brings the shit your way! Just up and change from 3-4 to 4-3? Just like that? Ask any coach above pee-wee how that would work. Entire front sevens are sometimes changed when a team changes from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa and you want to do it for one week because one player is hurt?

We run em both anyway dipshit, even in the same game....

Sorry man but this is the kind of comment that brings the shit your way! Just up and change from 3-4 to 4-3? Just like that? Ask any coach above pee-wee how that would work. Entire front sevens are sometimes changed when a team changes from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa and you want to do it for one week because one player is hurt?

As pointed out above we play a hybrid...

Also New23 pointed out in another thread, we played a 4-man front quite a bit of the 2nd half in our first game.

So pretend you know something else, cause you are talking out yo ass here...

football much? Pettine and Oneil have been throwing the 4-3 in the whole season. In fact, when we played the steelers last it was the 4-3 looks with Armonty out wide that got some sweaty balls pushed into Bens facemask. Only good pressure we got that game was out of that formation.

Yeah, I pretty much did not expect them to get this one anyway, and with all the hype I'm hearing from the Talking Heads and now these injuries . . .

Kruger and Dansby are really the only players on D that have been playing well, so this will hurt.

We will have Kitchen active for this game, maybe Hughes (injury?) as well.

Also it looks like Martin will be active this game as well, he showed pretty well last week on the few plays he was in.

Mingo is going to have increased play time as well if Kruger is out.

Yeah, yeah, I'm giving Mingo another year before I call him a bust - second new System, second Coaching staff, and only second year in the League, plus they want him to put on more weight and play differently.

Give him a chance.

Dansby's been playing well? Our two ILB'ers are currently probably the worst or among the worst in the league.

Its not a 43 guys its a nickle 4 man front a 4 2 5 or a 4 1 6. Basically what this means is there are 4 down linemen(these can be olbs as well) and 1 or 2 middle linebackers with 5 or 6 dbs. These are variations of the nickel defense which can be stout against the run and defend the pass well. In my opinion theyve played their best defense in the nickel so i hope we see alot more of it sunday. The base 34 package that they run generally on 1st and 2nd down is the defense getting gashed the most.

Dansby's been playing well? Our two ILB'ers are currently probably the worst or among the worst in the league.

I disagree they are doing an adequate job at covering the middle of the field the tight ends and rbs for short routes. The biggest problem is the gap assignments for the defensive linemen. They arent eating up enough blockers and clogging up lanes to help the middle lbs do their job. If you recall before the ravens drafted haloti ngata they said ray lewis was washed up. He wasnt he just needed those gap space eaters to keep those guards off of him. Same thing goes for this team. The dline needs to do their job and the rest of the team will fall into place by stopping the run. Im kinda looking forward to hughes and kitchen getting alot of playing time this week because thats what those guys do well.

Sorry man but this is the kind of comment that brings the shit your way! Just up and change from 3-4 to 4-3? Just like that? Ask any coach above pee-wee how that would work. Entire front sevens are sometimes changed when a team changes from 3-4 to 4-3 or vice versa and you want to do it for one week because one player is hurt

Our base 3-4 is basically a 3-4-Over which isn't much different than a 4-3. One of our OLBs is basically playing hand-down DE on most plays anyway, plus we have very versatile ILBs who might actually all be better fits in a 4-3 anyway. So, making this adjustment is actually pretty easy when A)you have as much versatility as we do, B) you have so many D-linemen who have played in both sets, and C) you're only running your base D a small portion of the time. We, just like most other teams, make a living out of the nickel.

Our best set this week will be the 4-2-5 set up like:

Skrine A.Bryant - Rubin - D.Bryant - Sheard Gilbert/Nelson

Williams Dansby Kirksey

Whitner Gipson

Spell Kitchen/Hughes for Rubin/D.Bryant, and Martin/Mingo for Sheard/A.Bryant, and Robertson for Kirksey

Our base (3-4 over), I would want to see this:

Skrine A.Bryant - Rubin - D.Bryant Gilbert/Nelson

Mingo Dansby Robertson Sheard

Whitner Gipson

From this set, Sheard plays hands-down and Mingo is in coverage often. The weak spot is A.Bryant's side against the run b/c he and Mingo haven't played with enough discipline on run plays.

The staff will probably keep Rubin at DE and place Kitch/Hughes in the middle, and use A.Bryant as a "package" guy.

Either way, something needs to get shaken up to get this D going, and maybe these injuries could turn into a blessing. Or, maybe we'll just get burnt worse...

Well it's all part of the game. Steelers will be without Shazier, Jones, and Ike Taylor. This was why they resurrected Harrison.

I think Haden continued to play after his hip injury in nashville

I suspect he will play Sunday

I agree and think Kruger could play too.....no one knows anything about their injuries and at this point no one has said either of them are out.....so, I think if there is ANY way they can play, they will.....

Of the Defensive players, the two I named are actually doing something.

Perhaps not world beaters, but they're making some plays.

Injury update - add Rubin to the list :

Taylor - out

Winn - Quad

Haden - Hip ?

Kruger - Back ?

Rubin - Ankle ?

Taylor - out

Winn - Quad

Haden - Hip ?

Kruger - Back ?

Rubin - Ankle ?

Ya, I just saw that too ... Taylor and Winn are OUT with Kruger(DNP) and Rubin(limited) questionable ... we are going to be thin on that front seven, hopefully they don't tire as the game goes along. Offense needs some long sustained drives to keep them fresh.

Zombo

So is Kruger for sure out? And now Rubin is questionable? Ok well wow...Rubin, Taylor and Winn are our 3 interior lineman. This isn't going to go well. How the hell are we this banged up? Hughes and the Bryant twins are going to have to have games of their lives this sunday. So is Sheard.

CB Gilbert thinks Haden may play (as mentioned in another thread).

Kruger's Back has been changed to General Soreness, so there's a chance he may play.

I believe Rubin was listed as Questionable.

Still, we're pretty banged up.

Still, we're pretty banged up.

Id say we are in pretty good shape compared to the rest of the league. We're 1/4 way through the schedule and haven't had a significant injury yet. KNOCK ON WOOD(I know I just did). So even tho I hate to see anyone hurting, I feel the Browns have been extremely blessed so far and these few minor bumps and bruises aren't anything to complain about or be surprised by.(again, compared to the rest of the league, we are a radiant vision of health). All our guys have minor 1-2 weeks type of injuries, which is best case. So dont sweat it too much. This is the NFL. We really are blessed so far.

Imo Dansby has been downgrade over DQ this season. Watching the Colts game last night DQ still looks faster and is in better positions to make tackles. That D line in Indy is good but it's not as good as ours so it's not that he has way better guys up front.

Taylor - out

Winn - Quad

Haden - Hip ?

Kruger - Back ?

Rubin - Ankle ?

Taylor - out

Winn - Quad

Haden - Hip ?

Kruger - Back ?

Rubin - Ankle ?

Haden is the most significant name on that list. We should be able to make up for Taylor and Winn being out. I'd assume their giving Rubin a day off to make sure he is healthy enough to play.

We still have Hughes and Kitch who haven't even been active this year (as far as I remember). Kruger might play, but if he doesn't we'll see more A.Bryant and E.Martin in pass-rush scenarios and we'll utilize Robertson and Kirksey in coverage if need be. Could even open the door for Mingo to finally stand out...

We have plenty of depth on D, which is nice. Plus, we're already ranked 31st with no injuries, so it can't really get worse by putting in a few new faces...

... we're already ranked 31st with no injuries, so it can't really get worse by putting in a few new faces...

Almost exactly what I wrote in my "This Week.." pick.

Id say we are in pretty good shape compared to the rest of the league. We're 1/4 way through the schedule and haven't had a significant injury yet. KNOCK ON WOOD(I know I just did). So even tho I hate to see anyone hurting, I feel the Browns have been extremely blessed so far and these few minor bumps and bruises aren't anything to complain about or be surprised by.(again, compared to the rest of the league, we are a radiant vision of health). All our guys have minor 1-2 weeks type of injuries, which is best case. So dont sweat it too much. This is the NFL. We really are blessed so far.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8678/browns-injury-situation-a-big-concern

I'd say it's a pretty good concern, from the article :

The defensive line situation: Three of the six on the active roster might not play, with two definitely out. The plan already was to have Ismaa’ily Kitchen and John Hughes active -- both have been inactive three of four games -- but if Rubin can’t play, the Browns might have to make a move so they have enough defensive linemen. That would probably involved Jacobbi McDaniel moving up from the practice squad.

The significance: Pittsburgh has one of the best backs in the league in Le’veon Bell. In five games he’s second in the NFL in rushing (460 yards) and total yards from scrimmage (688). The Browns haven’t stopped the run with their starters; now the backups have to do it against an extremely talented player.

Considering some were talking about trading some of our DL, our depth has thinned pretty quick.

LB and DB situation isn't great either :(

Archived