THE BROWNS BOARD

On to Natty

gumby73

just read Leon Hall, Burfict, and Maulaga and Bernard are out.

we may be luckier than we think. who knows tho

Bernard won't make much difference, that Hill boi looked pretty good.

Without two starting LBs (their best LB included) and without their best CB I like our chances on O a bit more though.Their defense has been shaky as of late when healthy too.

that's the thing mark o, last year browns 0 gave up 4 turnovers in a half to cincy.

the o is a little different now, rarely turning the ball over. And just imagine if Dalton has one of his "dear lord how is he a QB in the NFL" days

That's kinda what I was getting at while being too lazy to go back and look up the actual stats. If Dalton gift wraps points for us like he did in Cincy last year, this game is a blowout win for the Browns because this offense doesn't turn the ball over.

Not looking too pretty in Cinci Thursday...

Nov 6 Showers 54°/36° Showers

Chance of rain: 80% - Wind: SW at 11 mph

I hope the threat of rain 40% and temps in the 40s- makes a lot of the wusses stay home and watch it on TV. Then again- it's exactly what I'm going to do, instead of making the 50 mile run down to PBS. Though it doesn't affect me- if you have a normal day job- a Thursday night game makes for a rather rough Friday morning- unless you've already planned to make a long weekend out of it.

The Browns are going to have to learn how to stop the run in a hurry. The Bungles have Bernard and Hill just scored 28.00 points for my fantasy teams. Also they're going to have to figure out how to get Tate, West and Crowell more involved. They definitely do not look good now that Alex Mack is out and Hoyer is no Tom Brady no matter what the rose colored glasses think.

Bernard is probably out, as was posted, so is Hall. No Burfict,probably no Malaluga. They are more even beat up than us.

Where's all the bungle trolls?

I do miss Umadogg- make that Umatroll. one of the few smart and loyal Bungle fans on the planet.

just read Leon Hall, Burfict, and Maulaga and Bernard are out.

we may be luckier than we think. who knows tho

Beat me to it. Browns must stop Hall from running for 200 yards, establish their own running game (Bengals almost as bad as us in run D), and force Dalton into a couple of turnovers.

BTW, AG Green is far from 100%.

The bad? Bungles are 12-0-1 of late at home.

Hawk will have a big game against his former team. I think we have the advantage over Cincy in the run game . We have three healthy running backs ( I think Pettine saved the Crow intentionally for this game). If we can keep Hill from putting up a 100 yds. we win. Ball control , time of possession and a +1 in turnovers is key, Field goals will be crucial in this one. Browns 23-20.

GO BROWNS !

Thursday night can be crazy. I just read an interesting article that has this stat:

2014 average margin of victory for ALL games on Sunday = 12.5 pts

2014 average margin of victory for THURDAY games = 29 pts

HOLY CRAP!!!!

It's gonna be a blow out. And I think it will be the Bungles who crash and burn. No stats to back it. Just a hunch.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2014/10/does_thursday_night_football_i.html

Sittin' here wondering...

If the weather is really lousy, then do we trot out our "Special Package" that features the read-option?

Sittin' here wondering...

If the weather is really lousy, then do we trot out our "Special Package" that features the read-option?

I wouldn't be surprised.

Here is part of an interesting article FROM APRIL(before the draft), where Pettine 'basically' says rookie QB's are better off sitting and learning. He also mentions Kaepernick as a "package player" his first year. This should help to show that things are as he wanted them from the very start. Even BEFORE JFF was drafted, he said he would prefer the rookie to sit if at all possible. And he might work him into special situations, if at all possible. Here are the highlights:

Bucking the NFL's trend of the past half-decade, Pettine emphasized that it's "extremely difficult" for a quarterback to succeed as a rookie starter.

"When you look at the history of the league whether it was (Tom) Brady or whether it was Aaron Rodgers, or Carson Palmer (they waited)," Pettine explained Tuesday, via The Plain Dealer. "Even Russell Wilson sat for a little bit and (Colin) Kaepernick was a package player his first year."

Comparing Defenses:

We're both tied for 30th in rush defense at 139.6 yards/game; and 29th in rush avg at 4.8 YPC.

Browns rank 18th in pass defense at 252.1 yards/game

Cincy ranks 21st at 255.2 yards/game

Browns rank 19h in sacks with 17

Cincy ranks 25th with 13

Browns rank 28th in total defense yards at 391.8 yards/game on

Cincy ranks 30th at 394.9 yards/game

Browns rank 8th in scoring defense at 21.1 points/game

Cincy ranks 17th at 23.4 points/game

So, actually our defenses aren't very far apart. We rank better in almost every category, really, except run D where we are exactly tied in two categories.

We seem to be doing a better job of keeping opponents out of the endzone, so the slight advantage on D goes to Cleveland...

Comparing Offenses:

Cincy ranks 9th in rushing yards at 121.4 yards/game

Browns rank 15th at 111.2 yards/game

Browns rank 14th in passing yards at 241.0 yards/game

Cincy ranks 15th with 240.2 yards/game

Cincy ranks 12th in total yards, Browns rank 14th; with a difference of 9.4 yards per game

Cincy ranks 13th in scoring offense, with 24.2 points/game

Browns rank 16th with 23.1 points/game

Cincy is 19th in touchdowns, Browns are 21st;

Cincy is 1st in rushing TDs, Browns are 5th

Browns are 29th in passing TDs, Cincy is 30th

Browns rank 7th in Turnover differential at +6

Cincy ranks 12th at +3

These teams rank very similarly, but give the slight advantage to Cincinnati on offense (1.1 more points per game, and 9.4 yards per game... again very slight advantage). The two largest ranking differences are 1) Cincy's advantage in rushing yards, and 2) the Browns advantage in the Turnover differential.

Should make for a great matchup...

Comparing Offenses:

Cincy ranks 9th in rushing yards at 121.4 yards/game

Browns rank 15th at 111.2 yards/game

Browns rank 14th in passing yards at 241.0 yards/game

Cincy ranks 15th with 240.2 yards/game

Cincy ranks 12th in total yards, Browns rank 14th; with a difference of 9.4 yards per game

Cincy ranks 13th in scoring offense, with 24.2 points/game

Browns rank 16th with 23.1 points/game

Cincy is 19th in touchdowns, Browns are 21st;

Cincy is 1st in rushing TDs, Browns are 5th

Browns are 29th in passing TDs, Cincy is 30th

Browns rank 7th in Turnover differential at +6

Cincy ranks 12th at +3

These teams rank very similarly, but give the slight advantage to Cincinnati on offense (1.1 more points per game, and 9.4 yards per game... again very slight advantage). The two largest ranking differences are 1) Cincy's advantage in rushing yards, and 2) the Browns advantage in the Turnover differential.

Should make for a great matchup...

Very similar teams IMO talent wise. Maybe not necessarily in the same areas, but overall.

I was surprised to see my Bengals favored by 6. I would have thought more like 3. Guess we will see. I don't expect this to be an easy game to win for either team.

23... getting his stat on...

Prior to the start of the season I would never have dreamt our mid point stats would be this close.

Simple..We don't stop the run, we gun a see it all nite. We slow down the run get to 3rd and 4 to 5 yards to go.It's game on,Turn the Dawgs loose in Andy's face and the red rifle is a turnover machine and a flustrated mess. Field position always dictates this matchup.We all know it's time for a PURR Fet, game on the road like Saint's and Squeeler's at home.Rumble in the jungle and Go Browns!!

Official Report

Cleveland Browns Injuries
Player Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
Johnson Bademosi S Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Jordan Cameron TE Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Desmond Bryant DE Wrist Full Participation in Practice Probable
Taylor Gabriel WR Shoulder Full Participation in Practice Probable
Brian Hoyer QB Glute Full Participation in Practice Probable
Barkevious Mingo LB Shoulder Full Participation in Practice Probable
Rodney Smith WR Hamstring Full Participation in Practice Probable

Andrew Hawkins WR Thigh Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable
Phillip Taylor DE Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
William Winn DE Toe Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Cincinnati Bengals Injuries
Player Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
Giovani Bernard RB Hip Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Rey Maualuga LB Hamstring Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Andre Smith T Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

Leon Hall CB Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Vontaze Burfict LB Knee Out (Definitely Will Not Play) Out

Jermaine Gresham TE Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Probable
Terence Newman CB Chest Did Not Participate In Practice Probable
Darqueze Dennard CB Hamstring Full Participation in Practice Probable
Kevin Zeitler G Calf Full Participation in Practice Probable

Robert Geathers DE Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Are we going to have Winn - Rubin - Taylor back up front? Add Kitchen and D.Bryant, and it looks like we got the big uglies back in tact (minus Hughes & A.Bryant)... hopefully they can eat some blockers at let the LBs make some plays...

If the front 7 can get pressure, expect Whitner and Gipson to be in position to make plays

Haden will be busy with Green all day... taking him out of the game

Key matchup: Sanu vs. Skrine/Gilbert ... Hopefully we can prevent the big play from killing us...

We NEED Hawkins!!!! Without him we're in trouble...

I'm expecting West to do most the damage on the ground, while Hawkins/Austin/Gabriel handle the catches, but also utilizing Dray in the redzone...

Hoyer just needs to keep playing smart with the ball...

Key Matchups: Schwartz vs Carlos Dunlap & Greco/McDonald/Bitonio vs Peko/Atkins ... Hopefully we can open up some running lanes, and protect Hoyer enough to at least be efficient on offense...

If we play smart, on both sides of the ball, and convert a few 3rd downs while getting a few stops on D... it'll be a close ugly game, just the way we like it...

Browns 20 - Bengals 17

Simple..We don't stop the run, we gun a see it all nite. We slow down the run get to 3rd and 4 to 5 yards to go.It's game on,Turn the Dawgs loose in Andy's face and the red rifle is a turnover machine and a flustrated mess. Field position always dictates this matchup.We all know it's time for a PURR Fet, game on the road like Saint's and Squeeler's at home.Rumble in the jungle and Go Browns!!

Last year though it was the Browns that were the turnover machine down in Cincy. Of course we want no repeat of that.

Browns rank 8th in scoring defense at 21.1 points/game

Isn't that what it's all about?

8th with a bullet ... and totally top notch in the second halves of games.

This could be the game that this Pettine defense really comes together and we ride the wave ...

Zombo

We NEED Hawkins!!!! Without him we're in trouble...

I'm expecting West to do most the damage on the ground, while Hawkins/Austin/Gabriel handle the catches, but also utilizing Dray in the redzone...

Hoyer just needs to keep playing smart with the ball...

Key Matchups: Schwartz vs Carlos Dunlap & Greco/McDonald/Bitonio vs Peko/Atkins ... Hopefully we can open up some running lanes, and protect Hoyer enough to at least be efficient on offense...

If we play smart, on both sides of the ball, and convert a few 3rd downs while getting a few stops on D... it'll be a close ugly game, just the way we like it...

Browns 20 - Bengals 17

If you want to believe the crawl line on NFLN- Hawkins is inactive- not good.

Isn't that what it's all about?

8th with a bullet ... and totally top notch in the second halves of games.

This could be the game that this Pettine defense really comes together and we ride the wave ...

Zombo

You nailed that one.

Not the performance I was expecting last night :)

Archived