THE BROWNS BOARD

Pettine The Right Coach For The Browns

OldBrownsFan

I like Pettine. He took over a Browns team in turmoil for years and in his first year made them competitive. He will only get better. I like how he handles himself and the team. He has made a few rookie head coach mistakes (such as clock management) but I would still grade him an A in his first year. With the right coach we can finally start building something here in Cleveland instead of this constant tearing down and rebuilding.

The Browns are in excellent hands now.

NOW we get to see a successful build of our Browns into

a winner.

Takes more than 3/4 of a year to get to the playoffs and superbowl.

But progress has been awesome. There will be more changes

next spring.

Im behind Pettine too....100%

I like how he says what he thinks and then sticks with it. So far I think he and Farmer have done what they've said they'd do...without too much bs....a little maybe....but they all do that....

Last year, to me, Chud looked beat down and did not look like a good leader....maybe a smart football guy, but not a leader.....

Pettine looks like a leader....

I think it's still wait and see with Pettine.. This team has only beat 2 teams with a winning record and could finish the season 1-6. His specialty is defense, 21st in the league and the rush def is 31st. Next year they won't have the luxury of playing the AFC/NFC south all year, switches to the AFC/NFC West..

Can't go as high as "A" for a couple reasons, but love the hire.

And we have two folks to thank for Pet... Farmer and Haslam.

Stay the course boys...

Can't go as high as "A" for a couple reasons, but love the hire.

And we have two folks to thank for Pet... Farmer and Haslam.

Stay the course boys...

Agree, some rookie mistakes such as clock management. Also Shanahans an idiot, but I think they'll all get better as time goes on.

You guys are way too generous on Pettine. As another poster mentioned, switching from playing a ton of games against the acc/NFC south to the acc/NFC west is going to hurt. This could have easily been a 5-11 type team if they had that schedule this year.

Rookie head coaches in this league don't get long, and the clock will def be ticking on him next year. A slow start and he'll be on the hot seat.(at least to be fired at end of year)

I don't think Pettine can survive going 6-10 next year...and with that schedule 6-10 is a real possibility

well we could see where a johnny boy wouldn't like pettine. you know the fact that didn't start him from the get-go oh and it's got to be pettine's fault johnny looked like shit last week.

hey, JF fagboys.....you should thank pettine. he at least got to see his 22nd birthday.

You guys are way too generous on Pettine. As another poster mentioned, switching from playing a ton of games against the acc/NFC south to the acc/NFC west is going to hurt. This could have easily been a 5-11 type team if they had that schedule this year.

Rookie head coaches in this league don't get long, and the clock will def be ticking on him next year. A slow start and he'll be on the hot seat.(at least to be fired at end of year)

I don't think Pettine can survive going 6-10 next year...and with that schedule 6-10 is a real possibility

Coulda , woulda , shoulda...............................................You could have been a nice guy if you weren't such a know it all assclown.

I give Pettine a solid B which is a damn good grade for a 1st year head coach. Poor clock management as some have mentioned needs to improve. Shanahan is a solid B as well. I think sometimes he try's to get to tricky instead of sticking with what is working in a game. Farmer is an A in my book, While the jury may be out on the 1st round of the draft the rest of the draft and our activity in free agency has been A+.

F goes to Chris Tabor.

The QB situation being bungled from the get-go, too many penalties, terrible clock management and questionable effort from the team in big games are all reasos for me to wonder if Pettine is the coach of the future. He does well in press conferences though.

Idk if I'd put the questionable effort all on him.

We did have games that looked hopeless and then played our balls off the 2nd half, including our biggest road comeback ever. Supposedly Hoyer told everyone we were going to win that game though before half time. Maybe he's the reason the teams played hard ;-)

The Browns have perpetually been in transition since 99. I liked Pettine's attitude at the start saying they were not rebuilding this year and we had enough quality players to compete in the NFL. The Browns did compete this year and in a rarity were still in the playoff picture in December. Pettine comes from a very good defensive background with the Ravens, Jets and the Bills. The Browns took a lot of time in hiring Pettine and I think they did their homework when they chose him. He brings some much needed stability to this club. I for one am getting tired of blowing everything up every few years and starting over. Since 99 we have averaged a new head coach about every two years. The Browns needed someone that can bring a no nonsense, no excuse, winning mentality. Mike Pettine is a hard nosed ,no nonsense type of coach that can relate to his players. This is exactly the type of coach the Browns needed. We now have some good chess pieces in place and I hope we give this some time to bear fruit. Things are looking up in Cleveland...finally.

The Browns have perpetually been in transition since 99. I liked Pettine's attitude at the start saying they were not rebuilding this year and we had enough quality players to compete in the NFL. The Browns did compete this year and in a rarity were still in the playoff picture in December. Pettine comes from a very good defensive background with the Ravens, Jets and lly.

Fetching coffee for Rex is not a very good defensive background.

The QB situation being bungled from the get-go, too many penalties, terrible clock management and questionable effort from the team in big games are all reasos for me to wonder if Pettine is the coach of the future. He does well in press conferences though.

Handling of the QB situation is only significant downgrade I saw, but even in that area there were good moments.

Penalties? D is tied for 4th with 85. O is tied for 21st with 103.

Clock management? Some questionable moments to be sure.

Questionable effort? See below....

Idk if I'd put the questionable effort all on him.

Hard for me to put any upon him. Teams inexplicably "go flat" every week at every level of the game right under a coaching staff's nose.

I think that more often it is on the roster's team leaders for not raising the issue than it is the staff for not sensing it. The team can sense a "hollowness" in the prep that the staff cannot see in a normal week... let alone one where the "excitement" of a change to a "rookie QB stud" is occurring.

Fetching coffee for Rex is not a very good defensive background.

Moronic, simply moronic...

I wouldn't question the effort either....

Last year, my memory had this team leading a lot of games and then losing at the end....

THIS YEAR, I saw this team start a lot of games slow, then come back and fight till the end.....

In fact....most would consider us a second half team....so, wouldn't a second half team be indicative of good half time adjustments and a team that doesn't quit?.....and didn't THAT aspect of our team improve this year?

I think so....

How you haven't been banned is beyond me.

Oh please....I'm more on topic, more respectful and less vulgar than many of the posters here. If I got banned it would be simply to shoot down any opposing and unpopular viewpoints....which is fine and all, but I don't think that's the point of a discussion forum.

Oh please....I'm more on topic, more respectful and less vulgar than many of the posters here. If I got banned it would be simply to shoot down any opposing and unpopular viewpoints....which is fine and all, but I don't think that's the point of a discussion forum.

What was the old forum expression?

Oh yeah...

Call a fuckin' Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance...

Archived