THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency

LondonBrown

Could we track all the names available, rumours etc in the one thread?

To me this is more important than the draft, a chance to get ESTABLISHED talent and not spoiled brats with a sense of entitlement (I'm looking at you Johnny)

We did well last year with Dansby, Whitner and Hawkins so I'm hopeful Farmer gets not only good players but again, players with the right mentality.

And as well as gaining talent, what talent will we be losing?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone is going to pay him a ton of money for sure

I hope it's us, and if it is, I'll feel a whole lot better about letting Jabaal Sheard go. I don't think we need to make too many big money signings, but if we can get Houston on anything approaching a good deal, I'm all up for it.

WR and TE are big needs - especially if either of Cameron and Gordon leave - but nothing in FA jumps out at me for those positions.

I hope it's us, and if it is, I'll feel a whole lot better about letting Jabaal Sheard go. I don't think we need to make too many big money signings, but if we can get Houston on anything approaching a good deal, I'm all up for it.

WR and TE are big needs - especially if either of Cameron and Gordon leave - but nothing in FA jumps out at me for those positions.

Assume we bring Robertson back as he is Exclusive FA?

Assume we bring Robertson back as he is Exclusive FA?

I assume so, yeah, especially how well he stepped up in Dansby's absence. People had him as a lame duck that would roll over and hand the starting job to Kirksey, but that doesn't seem to have happened. For me, ILB isn't as big a need as OLB and DE/NT.

DESPERATION!!!

Ha, sounds about right. There's a lot of "he learned under Belichick and Brady" love going on around here - Hoyer, Mallet and Garoppolo. I wouldn't panic on that just yet, though. There aren't really any great options out there, and we're not high enough in the draft to get one of those guys. Besides, we do still have a first round pick we've seen only 1.5 games from - I don't think to go all in on anyone just yet. Concentrate on the front seven and skill positions, and the quarterback all of a sudden looks a lot better.

In all seriousness he's tall with big hands and a strong arm. Still haven't seen enough work to know if he's NFL capable.

If it's Cousins I think I'll cry.

So was Brandon Weeden. If those are your only criteria, you can find a bucket load of guys like that. Derek Anderson anybody?

How is his footwork, his release, his decision making, his reading of defenses and routes, his touch? Shanahan, if he's still in Cleveland, seems to like running a timing based offense, relying on getting the ball out quickly. It seemed quite rare to see our QB actually standing in the pocket and throwing long - most long gains came off of PAP.

Big arm may be easy to show off at the combine and pro day, but it's just one of many factors that go in to making a QB. I don't know if Mallett has the other attributes - maybe he does, maybe he doesn't - but just having a big arm isn't enough.

So was Brandon Weeden. If those are your only criteria, you can find a bucket load of guys like that. Derek Anderson anybody?

How is his footwork, his release, his decision making, his reading of defenses and routes, his touch? Shanahan, if he's still in Cleveland, seems to like running a timing based offense, relying on getting the ball out quickly. It seemed quite rare to see our QB actually standing in the pocket and throwing long - most long gains came off of PAP.

Big arm may be easy to show off at the combine and pro day, but it's just one of many factors that go in to making a QB. I don't know if Mallett has the other attributes - maybe he does, maybe he doesn't - but just having a big arm isn't enough.

Thing is we don't know do we? He's not been seen on the field enough.

Thing is we don't know do we? He's not been seen on the field enough.

No, we don't know. Equally, I have never played an NFL game, so we don't know these things about me either. I need a little more than the mystery of the unknown.

Hey, Derek has looked awesome this year.

Spotrac is a great site... here's my take on our FAs...

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cleveland-browns/

Player Pos Status From To Age Exp 2014 Cap Hit

High - Sign at essentially all cost; consider Franchise tag

Tashaun Gipson S RFA CLE TBD 24 2 $570,500

Med - Make competitive offer with intent to retain

Miles Austin WR UFA CLE TBD 30 8 $2,000,000

Jabaal Sheard OLB UFA CLE TBD 25 3 $1,619,625

Buster Skrine CB UFA CLE TBD 25 3 $1,481,500

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen DT RFA CLE TBD 26 2 $570,000

Craig Robertson ILB ERFA CLE TBD 26 2 $570,000

Jim Leonhard S UFA CLE TBD 32 9 $570,000

Shaun Draughn RB UFA CLE TBD 27 2 $134,117

Scott Solomon DE UFA CLE TBD 26 2 $67,05

Low - Make reasonable offer with degree of willingness to part ways

Jordan Cameron TE UFA CLE TBD 26 3 $1,550,350

Brian Hoyer QB UFA CLE TBD 29 4 $1,250,000

Ahtyba Rubin DT UFA CLE TBD 28 6 $8,175,000

Johnson Bademosi S RFA CLE TBD 24 2 $570,834

Spencer Lanning P ERFA CLE TBD 26 1 $495,000

Marlon Moore WR UFA CLE TBD 27 4 $435,882

Ryan Seymour G ERFA CLE TBD 24 1 $320,294

No - Take it or leave it, low ball

Sione Fua DT UFA CLE TBD 26 3 $417,353

Andre Smith TE RFA CLE TBD 26 2 $333,0008

Tyler Thigpen QB UFA CLE TBD 30 7 $33,529

Jermaine Saffold WR RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

Zac Diles ILB UFA CLE TBD 29 7 $0

Solomon Elimimian LB ERFA CLE TBD 28 1 $0

Matt Cleveland G RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

Emanuel Davis CB RFA CLE TBD 26 $0

Jake Anderson G RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

It's imperative to resign Gipson

Will he want to stay? He won't be short of offers.

Gipson is a restricted free agent, which will allow us to match any offers.....so, the Browns can have him if they want him....

Justin Houston.

I dont think he's getting away....they'll tag him for sure...

I will say Ive backed off a touch on signing Skrine....especially if we have to pay him top dollar. Would hate to do a large contract with him, then have Desir or Gilbert take over the starters role.....suddenly, we could have a multimillion dollar nickle back.....and I do believe we have so much quality in the DB's that it's likey one of them will emerge as a TOP player....Desir/Gilbert/Williams...

Was thinking the WR crop looks very fine this year in terms of FA's......and dont see farmer signing a superstar like Dez Bryant....but a few that caught me eye and would fit in well were...

Torrey Smith...who I think could be our #1 no sweat

Michael Crabtree....solid/dependable and would be a good system receiver

Cecil Shorts ...my dark horse ;) ...probably not #1 material, but a good fit for us none the less. AND he REALLY wants to be here. I say go get him!

And Ill take Thomas or Bryant, but somehow dont see that happening.ha!

Spotrac is a great site... here's my take on our FAs...

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/cleveland-browns/

Player Pos Status From To Age Exp 2014 Cap Hit

High - Sign at essentially all cost; consider Franchise tag

Tashaun Gipson S RFA CLE TBD 24 2 $570,500

Med - Make competitive offer with intent to retain

Miles Austin WR UFA CLE TBD 30 8 $2,000,000

Jabaal Sheard OLB UFA CLE TBD 25 3 $1,619,625

Buster Skrine CB UFA CLE TBD 25 3 $1,481,500

Ishmaa'ily Kitchen DT RFA CLE TBD 26 2 $570,000

Craig Robertson ILB ERFA CLE TBD 26 2 $570,000

Jim Leonhard S UFA CLE TBD 32 9 $570,000

Shaun Draughn RB UFA CLE TBD 27 2 $134,117

Scott Solomon DE UFA CLE TBD 26 2 $67,05

Low - Make reasonable offer with degree of willingness to part ways

Jordan Cameron TE UFA CLE TBD 26 3 $1,550,350

Brian Hoyer QB UFA CLE TBD 29 4 $1,250,000

Ahtyba Rubin DT UFA CLE TBD 28 6 $8,175,000

Johnson Bademosi S RFA CLE TBD 24 2 $570,834

Spencer Lanning P ERFA CLE TBD 26 1 $495,000

Marlon Moore WR UFA CLE TBD 27 4 $435,882

Ryan Seymour G ERFA CLE TBD 24 1 $320,294

No - Take it or leave it, low ball

Sione Fua DT UFA CLE TBD 26 3 $417,353

Andre Smith TE RFA CLE TBD 26 2 $333,0008

Tyler Thigpen QB UFA CLE TBD 30 7 $33,529

Jermaine Saffold WR RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

Zac Diles ILB UFA CLE TBD 29 7 $0

Solomon Elimimian LB ERFA CLE TBD 28 1 $0

Matt Cleveland G RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

Emanuel Davis CB RFA CLE TBD 26 $0

Jake Anderson G RFA CLE TBD 25 $0

Leonhard retired.

And I am not so keen on keeping Sheard. He is too similar to Kruger, if they are both on the field as the same time we can't cover, I'd rather add a speedier outside linebacker.

Zombo

I'm not on the Mallett train either, but I WOULD take a flyer on Sanchez, especially if we hit a FA WR or two.Keep Gipson & solidify OL, DL & LB thru lower end FA, trade & draft.

Like anyone, I like to guess, but I'm trusting the guys who REALLY know & that ain't me!

Mike

Justin Houston. Justin Houston. Justin Houston. Justin Houston.

Justin Houston.

Oh, and, Justin Houston.

That is all.

I think it's been said he's not leaving KC, they're gonna pay him it's already a done deal. I wouldn't be opposed to going after Orakpo especially if Sheard is going to be gone. I know he's over the hill but I wouldn't mind getting Freeney for next to nothing so he can come in and teach some of our guys his pass rush. Also might be nice to pull Worilds out of Pgh.

I think it is very likely we sign Cecil Shorts. He'd be a legitimate #2 reciever for us opposite whoever our #1 would be. He would definitely "play like a Brown" since he is from Cleveland.

He was one of the few names at WR I looked twice at, but I feel that might be because he's had big games against us (now known as the Kirk Cousins effect), I'm not sure how he's done outside of that?

Archived