THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency

LondonBrown

Between the extra cap space and the 10 picks, this is going to be an exciting off season. We have a lot of room to make some deals that work to make this the team Pettine/Farmer envision.

And I truly think we need to retain Hoyer who functioned well until we had no running game, i.e. after Mack went down. Right now he is the best we have in the position.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are drunk if you think Thomas & Thomas are going anywhere.

Edit: iupati? What makes anyone think he's going to hit the market? A lot of the guys mentioned are going to get tagged or resigned.

It's common sense to look at the Broncos and make a reasonable assumption ONE of the Thomas' might leave. They'll both want and will get top deals and horse face Elway could decide to not lock up 20+ million potentially in them. However, I don't want either of those guys.

The Niners are over the cap as of now... makes their signing Iupati a matter of priorities.

The Packers are far more likely to be able to keep Bulaga.

Better worry about your Steelers... with only $4.4MM in cap space Taylor looks to be gone and signing Worilds is going to be a problem.

Taylor is gone period. I also don't believe we will resign worilds. I can see Troy retiring. I'm not worried about the Steelers. We are always close to the cap and Kahn always makes it work.

Taylor is gone period. I also don't believe we will resign worilds. I can see Troy retiring. I'm not worried about the Steelers. We are always close to the cap and Kahn always makes it work.

The thing that makes the Steelers work are LeBeau and Roethlisberger. Everything else is just window dressing.

I draft best 2 lineman in draft then get really aggressive in FA. i. e. Julius Thomas TE and D. Thomas WR. Draft smart and buy ready to go talent.

The problem with signing any of Manning's receivers is that their pay grade will be determined by what the did with an elite QB. Without a comparable talent at the QB position, they won't be able to play up to their contract.

Whoever signs these guys either need to have a franchise QB in place or be willing to accept that they're overpaying.

The thing that makes the Steelers work are LeBeau and Roethlisberger. Everything else is just window dressing.

I hate the Steelers but Antonio Brown is a star.

LaVeon Bell is a star.

Troy Palomalu had a hall of fame career.

James Harrison was an animal.

The list goes on, The Steelers draft GREAT and it's why they have kicked ass for a while.

The problem with signing any of Manning's receivers is that their pay grade will be determined by what the did with an elite QB. Without a comparable talent at the QB position, they won't be able to play up to their contract.

Whoever signs these guys either need to have a franchise QB in place or be willing to accept that they're overpaying.

Its a mutual relationship, a QB has to be able to get the ball to his WR's. That said, if you give either Thomas on Denver squad a remotely capable QB, both will produce. Mainly Demarius.

I think Julius doesn't like some of the physical play that can be associated with an inline TE.

Nah- Walter has it more objectively.

I hate the Steelers but Antonio Brown is a star. Pro Bowl

LaVeon Bell is a star. Pro Bowl

Troy Palomalu had a hall of fame career.

James Harrison was an animal. Suddenly found the Fountain of Youth back in Steel City, or a big stash of HGH-

The list goes on, The Steelers draft GREAT and it's why they have kicked ass for a while.

The Steelers have had their great hits in the draft, and great misses. But over time, their hits have taken

the squeelers to the playoffs, and other players were enabled to be able to succeed far more than

they otherwise may have. So much so, they started getting it right.

And, since I hate them, the steelers draft cheap shot artists like Pollyisfullapupu, and Harrison, Von Cheapshotten, and others.

Didn't hear all that much from Harrison when he left. That's why he wanted to come back so badly.

HINT: The squeelers couldn't cheapshot their way to the superbowl this time, and they lost. And the refs

didn't help them at key times, and they LOST.

HINT: The lions lost. All that defense (cheap shot Suh, and a few others), all that talent on offense....

Lost.

It isn't all that easy, and the Browns in the past, have drafted nitwillies who should not have been drafted.

that isn't the case now so much, it just isn't easy. Now, the Browns have a philosopy, and a plan.

Did I mention that the steelers are eggsucking, three river, scum-licking larvae?

They also draft, as much as possible, players with speed, and a love for the game.

The Browns have drafted guys who looked good in college, and on paper. Like Braylon Edwards.

And Junkin, etc etc etc.

It made a huge difference in the long run. And with their passing game to the wr's who are very, very fast,

and quick and SMART... any rb has a far, far better ability to run against zero eight man fronts.

Worst picks
Alonzo Jackson, DE, Florida State: Second-round pick in 2003 couldn't make the transition to outside linebacker and lasted just two seasons with the Steelers.
Bruce Davis, DE, UCLA: Third-round pick in 2008, Davis played just one season for the Steelers and didn't record a tackle.
Ricardo Colclough, CB, Tusculum: Didn't start a game or make an interception in four seasons with the Steelers, who traded up to take him in the second round in 2004.
Willie Reid, WR/RS, Florida State: Never showed the explosiveness he did as a return man in college, and Steelers released the 2006 third-round pick after two seasons.
Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse: Looked like a future star after a strong rookie campaign in 2006, but Steelers didn't try to re-sign
former third-round pick after 2008 season.
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

We suck at the 3-4 because we never draft the front 7 for it.

You need good linebackers and DL and we never have them. We get ran on all the time.

I really wish we would revert back to the 4-3 but it will never happen

well to be fair this is mostly Shurms 4-3 front 7 isn't it? In any case, I agree I think we'd be better back in the 4-3. If Sheard is retained put 15 lbs back on him, put 10 or so back on Kruger and let them be athletic powerful DE's in a 4-3. We need to get LB'ers like Levy and Bynes though. Those are the guys that make Detroits 4-3 work. I think we could have a comparable DL to Detroit with actually better rotation through it, but we need the right LB'ers to run behind it and right now I don't know that we do. If we had played 4-3 this year look at just what our DE rotation would have been....Kruger/Sheard/Armonty/Desmond with Mingo coming in on long downs. Winn could also have moved out to DE for spot duty. As it was our two OLB'ers were overplayed and it cut into both their production and put more wear and tear on them than we should have.

Ryan Mallett interests me I must admit.

I'd give him, or Locker (if he's available) a shot in FA. Not interested in the younger version of Hoyer (Kirk Cousins)

Barring that - and knowing Johnny Sucks why not retain Hoyer. We know what he is.

March 3rd is the date by which teams have to place any tags on players who haven't been signed by that point. Then and only then will we know who we might be able to sign. March 7th is the date that teams can start talking to free agents, and the 10th is the kick-off date when teams can start signing players.

I see lots of names being thrown around that will never make to to the free market, and many who do will get tagged.

i say let's get suh

For once you and I agree on something (if we can afford him without breaking the cap so badly that he becomes our only decent player).

I think he is so dominant that with the rest of this D team in place we would not need an all-star QB to win in Cleveland consistently.

i know he is stupid on the field, but from what i have read he is a good team mate. i will require other teams to pay attention to him opening up others on the d front.

That would force Suh to switch to a 3-4 DE. The only guy other than Watt with a salary greater than 10M$ a year at that position in Calais Campbell at 11M$/year. Do you really want to make Suh the second highest paid 3-4 DE without him having played a snap at the position?

The only question I would have about Suh's effectiveness is having him under a 2gap assignment which is sometimes what Pettine calls for. He's the type of guy you want to line up and say "go get it" I have no doubt he (Suh) would be effective as a 1gap lineman anywhere on the formation, obviously most effective 1-3 tech. His on field antics and temper can cost him both literally and figuratively, but he's about to be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid lineman in the NFL. I have a feeling we can get better value for a younger player in the draft.

While I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign Suh, I would be very shocked. He's clearly talented, and I think his skill set is one that works basically whatever you ask of him on the DL, but I really can't see how it fits in with the 'Play Like a Brown' philosophy.

The only question I would have about Suh's effectiveness is having him under a 2gap assignment which is sometimes what Pettine calls for. He's the type of guy you want to line up and say "go get it" I have no doubt he (Suh) would be effective as a 1gap lineman anywhere on the formation, obviously most effective 1-3 tech.

In a larger sense, does Pet's scheme require the outstanding individual D-line efforts that Suh can provide or is it more of a role fulfillment scheme?

I see it more of the latter and while Pet's scheme can't be executed by any talentless schlep, it does not require Suh-level talent. I'm also not sure Suh would be happy as a role player; not sure that he would sacrifice individual opportunity for the sake of scheme success.

In a larger sense, does Pet's scheme require the outstanding individual D-line efforts that Suh can provide or is it more of a role fulfillment scheme?

I see it more of the latter and while Pet's scheme can't be executed by any talentless schlep, it does not require Suh-level talent. I'm also not sure Suh would be happy as a role player; not sure that he would sacrifice individual opportunity for the sake of scheme success.

Role fulfillment, yes. As you say, no schlep's. Fact is, with the way the league is calling any ticky-tack contact as interference (Unless you're Detroit) having a strong pass rush to disrupt the QB has never been more important.

Again, I don't believe Suh will land in Cleveland. I don't really want the massive cap hit that would come with it. But role players must be able to stop the run and rush the passer - some can do it better than others. I prefer to have the ones that do it better.

Was thinking the WR crop looks very fine this year in terms of FA's......and dont see farmer signing a superstar like Dez Bryant....but a few that caught me eye and would fit in well were...

Torrey Smith...who I think could be our #1 no sweat

Michael Crabtree....solid/dependable and would be a good system receiver

Cecil Shorts ...my dark horse ;) ...probably not #1 material, but a good fit for us none the less. AND he REALLY wants to be here. I say go get him!

And Ill take Thomas or Bryant, but somehow dont see that happening.ha!

we haven't had anyone close to those guys you mentioned since the comeback in 99...maybe shorts, errrrr maybe not...i'm not including gordon in this conversation because talent wise he might be as good as those guys, but character wise, he sucks...he will be out of football soon anyway..he has issues and it seems like they are not being addressed...what a waste...we are not going to the superbowl and maybe not even the playoffs with our current receivers...they are just too small...they are smurfs that try hard, but they ain't goin to no probowl..i think they are situational at best...we need 2 big guys ala alshon jefferies, bryant, megatron etc...without that,we'll suffer...but i don't know who is available and who really wants to come into the situation with the browns...because really right now, they are in disarray....again...

Archived