THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency

LondonBrown

While I wouldn't be disappointed if we did sign Suh, I would be very shocked. He's clearly talented, and I think his skill set is one that works basically whatever you ask of him on the DL, but I really can't see how it fits in with the 'Play Like a Brown' philosophy.

don't want him...although, he'd be the best dl we ever had since the comeback...our dl stinks to high heaven.....but still, its very possible he does something dumb again and gets a major suspension...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the good teams. (New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, Indy, Denver, Seattle, Dallas, etc)

They build it though the draft. Let the suckers like the Jets and Redskins spend all that goofy money in Free Agency.

New England has relied heavily on two, higher paid, FA CB's.

Baltimore with Canty, Dumervil, Forsett and Monroe.

Indy - Jackson, then trades for Trent and Davis.

Green Bay - Ehh... Peppers. They might be your best example.

Denver. I mean, you've got to be kidding, right?

Seattle went out and got Avril and Bennett.

Dallas, another decent example. Of course a good portion of their mid tier defense were/are journeyman players.

Dallas, another decent example. Of course a good portion of their mid tier defense were/are journeyman players.

Yes some of these teams have some decent signing but the reason they have maintained continuity over the past 5-10 years is drafting well.

New England has drafted well and drafted a guy named Tom Brady

Baltimore: Flacco, Gnata, Torey Smith, Mosley, Suggs, Osemele, (Reed & Lewis too),

Indy: Luck, Manning, Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, Matheis, Sanders, Bethea,

Green Bay: Rogers, Nelson, Ragji, Mathews, Hawk, Colledge, Jennings, Finley, Balugua, Lacy, Cobb, Sherrod

Denver: Yes Peyton Manning was a free agent but a rare signing to an already gifted team. He fell into their lap.

Seattle: Wilson, Sherman, Chancellor, Baldwin, Thomas, Unger, Okung, Wager,

Dallas: Witten, Ware, Bryant, Lee, Smith, Murray, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Lawrence, and Romo was UDFA right?

Some guys I think we should target:

DT Suh

OG Iapati

WR Bowe

QB Locker

Zombo

I DO NOT want Bowe on our team. He's useless. Suh is too expensive and is not the best fit for us.

Here's my early list:

QBs - Locker, Sanchez, Hoyer, Ponder... really anybody that can at least compete with Manziel for the starting job

WRs - Cobb, Maclin, Torrey Smith (but none of these guys will probably hit the market). I'd take a shot at Britt, Tate, and of course re-signing Austin

TEs - Clay or of course Cameron or both... I'd prefer both

OG - Orlando Franklin, Iupati, or Boling (but I bet at least 2 of them will re-sign with their teams). Replacing Greco in the starting lineup is not a bad idea for adding depth. He'd be a great 6th lineman because of his versatility.

OT - Bulaga (risky b/c of injury). Schwartz has not been consistent enough. We could use somebody to challenge him for his spot at RT, but it may be better to draft somebody b/c JT isn't getting any younger.

NT - D.Williams and drafting somebody... early

OLB - Worilds, Acho, McPhee, or even re-signing Sheard even though I don't think he's the best fit. Another draft pick on this position.

FS - Gipson (This is a must). Maybe even add somebody like Searcy or Landry to replace Leonhard.

Obviously we can't get ALL these guys, and most of them will stay where they are but this is my early list of targets...

Look at the good teams. (New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, Indy, Denver, Seattle, Dallas, etc)

They build it though the draft. Let the suckers like the Jets and Redskins spend all that goofy money in Free Agency.

You have to do both FA and the draft... and you have to do them well...

Gipson is a no brainer, we can't allow him to walk.

Cameron is an interesting case. He would have to agree to an incentive laden contract in order for it to make sense for the team. I would like to see him back, but he will probably find a cozy dome to play in. He is a west coast boy after all.

Skrine would be nice to bring back. He played surprisingly well this year, but it was a contract year and he will command more than he's worth. Williams handled the slot well enough that we don't need to throw money at Skrine.

I like Rubin, but he makes too much money for someone we can replace with Kitchen for a fraction of the cost. I think Taylor and Hughes need to man the NT position so that makes Rubin the odd man out.

Bademosi, Moore, and Seymour have value as special teams and depth, but the rest of the guys I have no interest in. I know there's a couple fan favorites like Hoyer and Robertson, but we need to upgrade and not over pay mediocre (being generous) talent.

It feels dirty saying this, but I like Locker in this offense. He has huge untapped potential and he never had very many weapons. It helps that he should sign for backup money.

Orakpo is another buy low guy. If people are scared off by his injuries, than I would jump all over that guy. Give him a garunteed 1 year deal to prove himself and sit back and watch him rack up double digit sacks.

Eddie Royal is a guy we really need to look at. I have always thought he was underrated. He's rounding 30 but he's still productive and won't be seeking a ton of money.

Adrian Clayborne and Dquan Bowers have been labeled as busts, but they have talent and they have good size to play 3-4 DE. They should be cheap so if they don't work out no biggie.

You'll find very few teams in that list who have built through free agency though. Most of these teams, other than the Packers, have looked to free agency to fill some roles, but their cores were built through the draft. The only team on the list that has significant personnel turnover are the Cowboys, and that's because they have a messy cap situation which forces them to sign players on minimum type deals.

Gipson is a no brainer, we can't allow him to walk.

Cameron is an interesting case. He would have to agree to an incentive laden contract in order for it to make sense for the team. I would like to see him back, but he will probably find a cozy dome to play in. He is a west coast boy after all.

Skrine would be nice to bring back. He played surprisingly well this year, but it was a contract year and he will command more than he's worth. Williams handled the slot well enough that we don't need to throw money at Skrine.

I like Rubin, but he makes too much money for someone we can replace with Kitchen for a fraction of the cost. I think Taylor and Hughes need to man the NT position so that makes Rubin the odd man out.

Bademosi, Moore, and Seymour have value as special teams and depth, but the rest of the guys I have no interest in. I know there's a couple fan favorites like Hoyer and Robertson, but we need to upgrade and not over pay mediocre (being generous) talent.

I like Skrine but I'll be very interested to see what type of deals he gets thrown his way. He's statistically one of the better corners in the NFL but I don't think someone would bring him in as a #1.

I DO NOT want Bowe on our team. He's useless. Suh is too expensive and is not the best fit for us.

He's a big body and he should be pretty cheap. I think he has more wear on the titre left than Austin.

Here's my early list:

QBs - Locker, Sanchez, Hoyer, Ponder... really anybody that can at least compete with Manziel for the starting job

Yes, yes, yes ... no on Ponder, but his wife is hot.

When you keep swinging and mising on first round QBs this is where you are, picking through the trash. But I think Locker maybe has the most potential and if Shanny satys, best suited for this offense.

WRs - Cobb, Maclin, Torrey Smith (but none of these guys will probably hit the market). I'd take a shot at Britt, Tate, and of course re-signing Austin

Austin is a professional, but can he be counted on anymore? I dn't think we go for a big-name free agent here, grab a middle of th eroad vet with size and adress the position in the draft.

TEs - Clay or of course Cameron or both... I'd prefer both

I've always be a big fan of Clay, Dolphins underutilized him, and #42 looks cool on a TE.

OG - Orlando Franklin, Iupati, or Boling (but I bet at least 2 of them will re-sign with their teams). Replacing Greco in the starting lineup is not a bad idea for adding depth. He'd be a great 6th lineman because of his versatility.

I totally agree. I'm sure Greco doesn't.

OT - Bulaga (risky b/c of injury). Schwartz has not been consistent enough. We could use somebody to challenge him for his spot at RT, but it may be better to draft somebody b/c JT isn't getting any younger.

Schwartz is fine, we need depth, expect a first day pick to groom at both LT and RT, Joe is getting some age on him unfortunately.

NT - D.Williams and drafting somebody... early

We don't want Suh because he is too expensive? Who has more cap space than us? Now he might not want us, that I could see, he might like a high profile team, we certainly aren't that yet.

OLB - Worilds, Acho, McPhee, or even re-signing Sheard even though I don't think he's the best fit. Another draft pick on this position.

Sheard has been a bit of a square peg and I think there is better value out there, maybe we draft a pass rusher to develop behind Mingo and Kruger.

FS - Gipson (This is a must). Maybe even add somebody like Searcy or Landry to replace Leonhard.

Ya, there will be torches and pitchforks if they don't re-sign this up-and-coming star that we developed from Wyoming project

Obviously we can't get ALL these guys, and most of them will stay where they are but this is my early list of targets...

Draft, Draft, Draft, Draft.

Ya gotta get some cheap pieces that can help your team and although I think Farmer fucked up last years first round, Bitonio, West, Desir and Kirksey were all very smart picks. If he would have added a Shazier and a big WR that draft would have been damn near perfect.

You can add a high profile FA when you are missing that one piece.

You'll find very few teams in that list who have built through free agency though. Most of these teams, other than the Packers, have looked to free agency to fill some roles...

This... FA is great for final pieces when a team is nearly there, not for building a core.

(Bowe's) a big body and he should be pretty cheap. I think he has more wear on the titre left than Austin.

Austin is a professional, but can he be counted on anymore? I dn't think we go for a big-name free agent here, grab a middle of th eroad vet with size and adress the position in the draft.

I totally agree. I'm sure Greco doesn't.

Schwartz is fine, we need depth, expect a first day pick to groom at both LT and RT, Joe is getting some age on him unfortunately.

Bowe: What is it with this "Bowe's Big Body" fetish you've developed?

Austin: How much more clutch did the guy have to get you convince you of his worth?

Greco/Schwartz: I'll never understand how we came to polar opposite views on these two.

Archived