THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Fox reporting Browns are hiring John DeFilippo as new OC

JAFBF

Why have someone here who doesn't want to be here

exactly.

i'm not going to hire a chimney sweep who hates soot. give me the guy with black hands drinking at john's at 11:30 in the AM. if you're drinking rum at 11:30 you're not an alcoholic, you're a pirate.

AAaargh.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand the frustration but get the emotions out of the way and try to be reasonable. We have a new owner, new GM, and new HC. You can't hang the past 14 years on them. DeFilippo interviewed for the OC last year but the Browns went with the more experienced Shanahan. Pettine and DeFilippo have worked together before and should work well together and by all appearances is the OC Pettine wanted. Shanahan wanted out of Cleveland and I am glad they let him go. Why have someone here who doesn't want to be here? It makes sense to let him go.

Ahhh no disrespect intended but bullshit. I keep the emotions front and center. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan and the other 31 teams can blow me. I will root for the Browns no matter how bad they suck and no matter how long that's been going on. We are the good guys they are the bad guys and that's all there is to it. And I fully admit its territorial loyalty. I don't care. I suppose there's no real reason to feel differently about family members then complete strangers but...

Unless I'm proven wrong, & I mean proven no doubt no question without a second thought, I will expect success for my guys. If it doesn't happen, well that's my tough shit and I'll look forward to better days down the road.

Why else would anyone waste time watching this ridiculous sport?

WSS

No disrepsect taken but I have a different view. I want to see my team do everything in it's power to win. I want my team committed to winning. I want a coach that hates losing as much as I do. I want an organization that makes smart moves not dumb ones. I want a team that is hungry and always trying to improve. I will always be a Browns fan but I won't pat them on the back for being mediocre.

No disrepsect taken but I have a different view. I want to see my team do everything in it's power to win. I want my team committed to winning. I want a coach that hates losing as much as I do. I want an organization that makes smart moves not dumb ones. I want a team that is hungry and always trying to improve. I will always be a Browns fan but I won't pat them on the back for being mediocre.

And I have no doubt that is the attitude of the players the coaches the front office and the ownership.

if I did not believe they felt that way I might be as much of a bitching cunt as rooster dick.

WSS

And I have no doubt that is the attitude of the players the coaches the front office and the ownership.

That is how I see it too. And the few players that seem to be holding out are getting a message the team is not going to tolerate lack of effort. Gordon not even making the trip to Baltimore and Manziel and Gilbert not allowed on the field and made to stay in the locker room shows me this team is out to win.

In the past, Cribbs and a few other players had noted about

certain players being coddled about their behavior.

Gordon, etc.

Now, there has been some serious discipline on the team,

they just need to weed out the Gordons and others, and get

real football players in there, that are dedicated to winning, not

just getting a playcheck... and partying all night long, especially

during the season.

It has to be freakin tough to get all the right people in all the right places,

with everybody on the same page.

But in the past, all sorts of dumb mistakes were made. At least if Farmer, Pettine

and co make a mistake, it WILL be fixed, one way or another.

That's how you grow a winning team.

One thing that really jumped out to me from Flippos pressy was that he said he was meeting with Hoyer next week....

Coach meets QB who is no longer a Brown?....does he have a similar meeting planned for any other offensive players?

That HAS to mean Hoyer is not gone yet......If Farmer wasn't willing to pay him....or he wasn't willing to sign here.....then new coach would not be meeting him.....

wonder what they'll discuss????

Some of you sunshine pumpers need a wake up.

Defillipo or whatever the f his name is, IS A FUCKING PRAYER. Bottom line, it's a terrible unimpressive hire until proven otherwise. Period.

Said the same about Gilbert, said the same about Manziel. This Franchise continues to dig it's own hole.

I'm not seeing Sunshine pumping... seeing optimism.

Out of the box Flip is hitting all the right notes. Also does not hurt that the folks in the league, players and coaches alike, that have worked with him seem to be happy for him and are endorsing the hire.

Does that mean he will be great? Nope, but it beats him pulling a pratfall in his opening presser amid catcalls from former players shouting "good riddance".

In my book that's cause for optimism. What are your relevant reasons for pessimism?

One thing that really jumped out to me from Flippos pressy was that he said he was meeting with Hoyer next week....

Coach meets QB who is no longer a Brown?....does he have a similar meeting planned for any other offensive players?

That HAS to mean Hoyer is not gone yet......If Farmer wasn't willing to pay him....or he wasn't willing to sign here.....then new coach would not be meeting him.....

I missed that comment in his intro presser.

As has been pointed out Hoyer is not an ex-Brown yet. Of those still around who better to get a "what worked, what didn't" year in review from? Who better to get an assessment of the 2014 QB room? Add that both get to walk away with an impression of the other...

Other players to sit down with? Some WRs for sure since as of now they have no coach either. I would think Austin and Hawk would head the list... likely Benji as well.

What I like best about this whole "hiring process" was that we were in the dark the whole time.....no Lombardi leak.....so to speak....

Tells me the whole FO is on the same page and working well together.....and is locked up tight....

Is an important, overlooked item, Mud..

Defile....DeFill....DeVille?

As long as it doesn't end up "D-fizzle"... :P

In one of the Articles I read, it was shortly after the Presser that the Browns contacted Hoyer's Agent about a Contract.

Hoyer is still effectively a Brown until March 10 I believe, which is the reason he is allowed to talk with the Coaching Staff and about a Contract as he's not a FA yet.

Hoyer is scheduled to meet with DeFilippo, Pettine, and Farmer once they return from their 3 Day Strategy session with Haslam.

Sunshine and Truth . . .

Second Bengals game.

Team played an absolutely abyssmal game, no fire, no energy, lack of even caring.

Remember at the time we were still in Playoff contention.

I didn't originate the Thread, but I called for a House Cleaning.

I caught a lot of heat for that, though I still stand by what I said - there are/were Team issues that need rooted out.

We've got a minor reboot here, though not one I was expecting.

Still expect to see some cuts and moves coming up, but there's time.

More thought on the matter and it comes to me that maybe one of the biggest issues is lack of Leadership amoung the Players.
I believe Dansby was out at the time - we had so many injuries I don't remember if we were missing any other key Players that would fall into that roll.

We need to get some solid Leadership Players on this Team for somewhere or somehow, and part ways with those that are on their own path.

I try to be a Realist, and that swings both ways from positive to negative.

I'll probably get pissed more than others on here, but I also try to see where this Team is improving and moving in the right direction.

DeFilippo is new Blood, seems to want to be here, sounds like can develop Players (QB's in particular), and has a record of being a hard worker.

I don't know how effective he'll be, but from the options we had I think this is a good move and a lot of Professional Analysts agree.

Sunshine and Truth . . .

We've got a minor reboot here, though not one I was expecting.

Still expect to see some cuts and moves coming up, but there's time.

maybe one of the biggest issues is lack of Leadership amoung the Players.....We need to get some solid Leadership Players on this Team

I agree that I'd expect to see moves....in fact, THIS year is really when they should happen, as opposed to last year, per se...

Pettine, Farmer and the other coaches have had a full year now and worked with these guys....gone to war with em.....had their ups and downs......so it would stand to reason that the weeding out and adjustments are actually just starting now....

Changing coaches, players, etc are just adjustments....not signs of trouble....

And good leadership always helps.....A big reason Whitner and Dansby are here,,,,,,though I do believe this team has a lot of leaders...both vocal and by example.....Haden, Dansby, Whitner, Thomas, Mack, Hoyer, Austin and, yes, even the rookie Bitonio all showed high character and strong leadership qualities.....

And when you add guys like Kruger, Gipson, Skrine, Sheard, Bryant.....you start to see the team is loaded with quality professionals....who, I do believe, gave an earful and then some to the rookies....west, gilbert and manziel.....the kids were goofing off, but I think they received a lot of "leadership" behind the scenes.....

I didn't originate the Thread, but I called for a House Cleaning.

would you still agree with your statement there?

i'm all for flushing the toilet when it's filled with shit but last season's implode wasn't on pettine or farmer or hell, even loggains.

it really DOES suck that every year me, you or some other fan is calling out an excuse for why the browns sucked. but hey 7 and 9, the best in seven years gives me hope. and if farmer can keep tapping young hidden talent then i think we'll be just fine.

BUT yes they do need some vet leadership to teach these young guys what winning means and what it takes. hopefully the probowl talent we have won't get too old and fragile in the process.

I think it's called "pruning". Housecleaning was, and still would be, a gross overreaction. Whatever Shanny's issues were I'd say that the team felt, if not knew of, their existence by Week 15.

He's from Youngstown. Tressel is from Youngstown. I'm from Youngstown. Nothing but hard working, bad muthafuckers come from Youngstown.

:)

Our favorite team is bad dude. It has been bad. Why not talk about and get fed up with it? Sure you can continue to root for them, but why go buy season passes when they field the team with a bunch of lame ducks. Just the fact that Johnny Football is on the team should make people shake their heads. Change things up, riots, protest... make a scene. Why pimp and holler for every single season when this continues to happen?

If you truly are a season ticket holder- you damn well know the reason you re-up every year. You're more married to those seats than your wife. Dumping your tickets in protest gains you nothing. If I did opt out- it would cost me around $30k to re buy in my section (111) on eBay or Craiglist when the Browns start winning.

Again, the real truth is not wanted on these forums. I have season tickets man, section 345... I go to the opener every season. Then, I sell my tickets because I get to watch the miserable team that this organization puts on the field.

Edit: I'm a stupid fuck and a dick head because I'm not accepting to the tradition of losing. You guys must have miserable lives. I guess that's why you are on this forum every single day of your life.

It has nothing to do about rooting for a team that hasn't done much over the last 15+ years. Really- if all you want to see is wins- plenty of room on the Frontrunner bus. Green Bay is a nice option.

If you truly are a season ticket holder- you damn well know the reason you re-up every year.

He's not a season ticket holder. He's full of shit. Just 3 seasons ago when we all made the trip for the opener against the Eagles, Rooster Dick was looking for a free ticket to go to the game. Because he's rooster dick and a pansy ass, he didn't get Zombos seat (who didn't make it that year) and it sat empty.

would you still agree with your statement there?

i'm all for flushing the toilet when it's filled with shit but last season's implode wasn't on pettine or farmer or hell, even loggains.

it really DOES suck that every year me, you or some other fan is calling out an excuse for why the browns sucked. but hey 7 and 9, the best in seven years gives me hope. and if farmer can keep tapping young hidden talent then i think we'll be just fine.

BUT yes they do need some vet leadership to teach these young guys what winning means and what it takes. hopefully the probowl talent we have won't get too old and fragile in the process.

Said last week when your QB is getting Sacked by a 3 Man rush you've got more than QB issues.

Team never showed up today, D or O.

There is something terribly wrong with this Team, and they may need to completely clean house (and I mean get rid of everyone) and start all over again to get to the bottom of it.

At the time nobody played like they belonged in the NFL, do you remember how bad that game was ?

3 First Downs and 107 Total yards . . .

The way they played, or failed to play, or even that it was possible for them to be that bad . . .

Yeah, I think there still needs to be some House Cleaning, don't think we need the full reboot or for it to be as drastic as I was first calling for though.

Also think we need the injection of some fierce Leadership among the Players.

It's coming out that there are/were some Locker Room issues going on last year as well.

I'm still PO'd about that game . . .

To me, Johnny is trade bait until he either performs or fails over a 6 game stretch.

Even after he fails, Dallas would still probably give up a second.

I'm hearing 6th if that.

If the guy puts in the effort he might be good, but it really doesn't look like he's willing to do that.

He caused a stir among the Team as posted in the 2015 - FA / Draft / Notes thread, but the guy was rich before he came to the NFL so his motivation is low, and seems to only care about partying.

I'm not sold that he has the physical attributes to succeed, the intangibles aren't unknown until he puts in the effort.

no. it's just some assholes love to post negative shit and tell us all how bad our favorite team is.

do you sit around with your boyfriends and tell them how fat your wife's coony is?

stupid fuck.

You're such a dumbass it's a waste of time trying to explain why.

I'm a die hard Browns fan and I will be for life. That doesn't mean I'm obligated to think every draft, or coaching change, is a fucking great decision. That''s called being Naive, you POS.

Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll suck, we'll see. One thing is for sure, you're dumbass has NO F'ing clue anymore than anyone else with an opinion. Same with Gilbert, even after all on the field evidence points toward bust.

It's the sunshine pumper fans like a lot of you douchebags that are keeping this franchise in the gutter. Question decisions and demand success. You faggots are happy with a hire that is completely unproven, the most inexperienced OC in the league. How could you not catch on to the trend going on, we've fuckin sucked since the return.

Because I call out bad decisions I should go root to another team? Jesus Christ! You're part of the problem.

Agreed. Some of these assholes think you should go root for another team if your not content making the playoffs once every 15 years.

I'll be a fan and go to several games a year if we never win another fucking game. Some of you need to own up to the fact that our franchise sucks right now, and we need a major culture change in the FO to turn it around. I'm still believe in Farmer, but I'm starting to get skeptical..

Agreed. Some of these assholes think you should go root for another team if your not content making the playoffs once every 15 years.

I'll be a fan and go to several games a year if we never win another fucking game. Some of you need to own up to the fact that our franchise sucks right now, and we need a major culture change in the FO to turn it around. I'm still believe in Farmer, but I'm starting to get skeptical..

Absolutely we suck, but I see a change to the positive.

Culture change is ongoing, it's just not going to happen overnight (wish it would).

I really want to wait and see how things start unfolding this Off-Season, but I'm really starting to think this Coaching Staff will be here next year.

Not saying our record will be better, but I see positive movement.

Hell, we don't even have a QB at this point, last year we were all calling for 3 - 13 (6 -10 personally, later upped to 8 - 8).

It's January, Combine and FA is still to come - who knows what's going to shake out from all of that.

It's the sunshine pumper fans like a lot of you douchebags that are keeping this franchise in the gutter. Question decisions and demand success. You faggots are happy with a hire that is completely unproven, the most inexperienced OC in the league. How could you not catch on to the trend going on, we've fuckin sucked since the return.

you do see what a psycho you are, correct?

i know from personal experience that it's awesome to wake up with your bed on fire. the smell of a duck-filled quilt burning i the midnight is just magic. smoke inhalation of depressing black clouds. sorta what you whiners spew.

are the browns winning? well not .500 yet, but they did post a 7 year high even with a first year HC, a pitiful OC, first rounders that looked like shit and not to mention a TON of injuries.

yeah it's people like me that are the problem why my fave team isn't a super bowl contender.

it's people like you that make babies cry.

you do see what a psycho you are, correct?

i know from personal experience that it's awesome to wake up with your bed on fire. the smell of a duck-filled quilt burning i the midnight is just magic. smoke inhalation of depressing black clouds. sorta what you whiners spew.

are the browns winning? well not .500 yet, but they did post a 7 year high even with a first year HC, a pitiful OC, first rounders that looked like shit and not to mention a TON of injuries.

yeah it's people like me that are the problem why my fave team isn't a super bowl contender.

it's people like you that make babies cry.

You're right, we almost made .500 this year! Things are looking great!

Idiot.

I'm hearing 6th if that.

If the guy puts in the effort he might be good, but it really doesn't look like he's willing to do that.

He caused a stir among the Team as posted in the 2015 - FA / Draft / Notes thread, but the guy was rich before he came to the NFL so his motivation is low, and seems to only care about partying.

I'm not sold that he has the physical attributes to succeed, the intangibles aren't unknown until he puts in the effort.

2nd from Jerrah. Easily.

annnnnnd now.......here comes the Sanchez speculation........

Probably late (forum irregularities), but Sanchez is currently being linked as the hot #1 target to go to the Jets since Ryan took over . . . good or bad, that's the read.

Also good or bad (good IMO), Hoyer is the hottest prospect for Cleveland . . . and I sincerely hope we land him.

Archived