THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL Fox reporting Browns are hiring John DeFilippo as new OC

JAFBF

I am real positive about what is taking place with the Browns. Good owner, good GM, good coaches all who seem to be on the same page. The team has some good talent that should be greatly improved after the draft with the Browns having two first round picks and more picks overall than any other NFL team. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time of the draft last year everyone I read had given the Browns excellent marks for their picks. I believe these guys will do much better than we have done before in not wasting draft picks. The one really bad pick was a whopper though with JM.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well fuck yeah. This makes me happier than anything else in the interview - it shows he's not some arrogant 'my way or the highway' kind of coach saying 'this play is called this in my system, learn it or gtfo'

Spot on... A coach adapting terminology to team makes so much sense, yet done so rarely. Just hope Flippie doesn't get too scared during his review of our 2014 Offense. One thing for sure, he'll form an opinion on Hoyer that'll influence our interest in signing him.

Also happy to see he's primarily a WCO guy who's open to the ZBS. Hopefully bodes well for some key assistants.

Spot on... A coach adapting terminology to team makes so much sense, yet done so rarely. Just hope Flippie doesn't get too scared during his review of our 2014 Offense. One thing for sure, he'll form an opinion on Hoyer that'll influence our interest in signing him.

Also happy to see he's primarily a WCO guy who's open to the ZBS. Hopefully bodes well for some key assistants.

WCO would seem to suit someone like Hoyer, with the timing, precision and shorter throws.

I haven't been real tuned into this, but has Flip, Pet, or Farm mentioned Johhny Manziel at all in regard to this hire?

Zombo

--usually they feed you some BS about "looking forward to working with ..."

I haven't been real tuned into this, but has Flip, Pet, or Farm mentioned Johhny Manziel at all in regard to this hire?

Zombo

--usually they feed you some BS about "looking forward to working with ..."

Not that I've seen.

At first, I was like "just a QB coach"? But it does make the most sense. How often have the Browns tried to bring in a big name and it hasn't worked out? Time to find their way on their own with new, younger faces of the NFL. We like Pettine...so this hire makes sense.

Zips are the University of Akron.

YSU are Penguins I think. ..

WSS

Yes that's correct.

What I like best about this whole "hiring process" was that we were in the dark the whole time.....no Lombardi leak.....so to speak....

Tells me the whole FO is on the same page and working well together.....and is locked up tight....

If it was still Lombardi and Banner running things, there would have been ALL KINDS of crap in the news about each candidate, etc....

And if there was dissension and internal strife, then something would ooze out somewhere......

Too bad he wont have Sammy Watkins to throw the ball to. :(

Maybe we will get somebody as good or better in the upcoming draft. Kevin White? DeVante Parker? Donal Green-Beckham? Jaelen Strong?

Sammie Coates? Devin Funchess? Maybe Devin Smith in the 2d/3rd round?

Whatever. Quit crying over spilled milk.

At first, I was like "just a QB coach"? But it does make the most sense. How often have the Browns tried to bring in a big name and it hasn't worked out? Time to find their way on their own with new, younger faces of the NFL. We like Pettine...so this hire makes sense.

In the Carr Interview he mentioned that DeFilippo worked with the OC to help develop game plans.

Also, DeFilippo was the an OC in College . . . don't remember the Team right off, might be in the Article.

I am real positive about what is taking place with the Browns. Good owner, good GM, good coaches all who seem to be on the same page. The team has some good talent that should be greatly improved after the draft with the Browns having two first round picks and more picks overall than any other NFL team. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time of the draft last year everyone I read had given the Browns excellent marks for their picks. I believe these guys will do much better than we have done before in not wasting draft picks. The one really bad pick was a whopper though with JM.

Good GM? Both the first round picks are busts...

Good GM? Both the first round picks are busts...

Let's go back to see how the Browns were rated by others on their picks for the 2014 draft. Hindsight is 20/20 but in real time the consensus was the Browns had a very good draft. I don't believe anyone could have seen that Gilbert would not live up to expectations. I already posted what I thought of the Manziel pick. I like Ray Farmer as GM. Give him a little time.

AFC North

» Baltimore Ravens: C.J. Mosley brings stellar three-down ability.

» Cincinnati Bengals: Another valuable piece for division's top D.

» Cleveland Browns: Ray Farmer knocks first draft out of the park.

» Pittsburgh Steelers: Defense will benefit from influx of youth.

CLEVELAND BROWNS: First-year GM Ray Farmer wants to build a deep team capable of withstanding injuries and extended absences from key players. Heading into the draft, he wanted to stock the lineup with ultra-talented players who relish the opportunity to compete for playing time. Reviewing his initial draft class, it's safe to say Farmer achieved this goal. Of course, the selection of quarterback Johnny Manziel has received the bulk of the attention. But to me, it was Farmer's ability to maneuver up and down the draft board and acquire three top-tier talents (CB Justin Gilbert, OL Joel Bitonio and Manziel) that stood out the most. Gilbert should quickly establish himself as a starter, while Manziel and Bitonio will push hard to get on the field ASAP. Throw in West as a potential feature back, and it's clear the Browns left Radio City Music Hall with a fine prospect haul -- as well as a boatload of extra ammunition for the 2015 NFL Draft. GRADE: A-

BIGGEST STEAL: Terrance West, RB, Towson

Cleveland Browns, Round 3, No. 94 overall

After watching West run roughshod over FCS opponents (2,519 yards and 41 touchdowns on the ground last fall, both FCS records) with a punishing style that's ideally suited for the pro game, several running back coaches around the league touted the Towson standout as the best pure runner in the draft. Although some character concerns depressed his final draft grade, West is a blue-chip talent with the potential to blossom into a Pro Bowl-caliber runner in Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's zone-based system.

Just out :

BEREA, Ohio -- New Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo said Thursday that the team doesn't know who its quarterback for 2015 will be -- or if he's even on the roster.

"We're not sure if our starting quarterback is in the building right now or not," said DeFilippo, who was hired Wednesday to replace Kyle Shanahan. "If he is, great. If he's not, that's great too."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12211738/cleveland-browns-offensive-coordinator-john-defliippo-unsure-starting-quarterback-building-right-now-not

So not JFF guarantees from this.

Let's go back to see how the Browns were rated by others on their picks for the 2014 draft. Hindsight is 20/20 but in real time the consensus was the Browns had a very good draft. I don't believe anyone could have seen that Gilbert would not live up to expectations. I already posted what I thought of the Manziel pick. I like Ray Farmer as GM. Give him a little time.

AFC North

» Baltimore Ravens: C.J. Mosley brings stellar three-down ability.

» Cincinnati Bengals: Another valuable piece for division's top D.

» Cleveland Browns: Ray Farmer knocks first draft out of the park.

» Pittsburgh Steelers: Defense will benefit from influx of youth.

CLEVELAND BROWNS: First-year GM Ray Farmer wants to build a deep team capable of withstanding injuries and extended absences from key players. Heading into the draft, he wanted to stock the lineup with ultra-talented players who relish the opportunity to compete for playing time. Reviewing his initial draft class, it's safe to say Farmer achieved this goal. Of course, the selection of quarterback Johnny Manziel has received the bulk of the attention. But to me, it was Farmer's ability to maneuver up and down the draft board and acquire three top-tier talents (CB Justin Gilbert, OL Joel Bitonio and Manziel) that stood out the most. Gilbert should quickly establish himself as a starter, while Manziel and Bitonio will push hard to get on the field ASAP. Throw in West as a potential feature back, and it's clear the Browns left Radio City Music Hall with a fine prospect haul -- as well as a boatload of extra ammunition for the 2015 NFL Draft. GRADE: A-

BIGGEST STEAL: Terrance West, RB, TowsonCleveland Browns, Round 3, No. 94 overall

After watching West run roughshod over FCS opponents (2,519 yards and 41 touchdowns on the ground last fall, both FCS records) with a punishing style that's ideally suited for the pro game, several running back coaches around the league touted the Towson standout as the best pure runner in the draft. Although some character concerns depressed his final draft grade, West is a blue-chip talent with the potential to blossom into a Pro Bowl-caliber runner in Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's zone-based system.

I don't give a shit about what some fucking people said. I care about what ended up happening... Failure!

I see an owner committed to winning. As a fan that is all I can ask for. I see a smart GM that should not get thrown under the bus after one draft that by all accounts at the time he did well and a head coach who is a winner and a class act. We have something to build on here in Cleveland and I am real positive about that.

Or Hoyer, for that matter.

PS I already believe they know Hoyer cannot start for them next year. That's why he will be gone. Just in case Manziel struggles and the fans start yelling, "Pagel", "Pagel".

Hoyer's a free agent. Wasn't really considering him.

Zombo

Hoyer's a free agent. Wasn't really considering him.

Zombo

Not necessarily true :

Shortly after the news conference, Brian Hoyer's agent Joe Linta told Browns writer Jeremy Fowler that the team had reached out to him about a contract extension.

"We've left the door open both ways," Linta said.

Time will tell what it all means, but it is interesting. Clearly, though, the details are what matters. If the Browns offer Hoyer backup money, he will go to free agency.

Last offseason the team declined to offer more than that. Hoyer declined to sign. Now the Browns have their new offensive coordinator talking about not knowing the quarterback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns

Archived