THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

Hmmm, novel idea :

Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil: ‘We will stop the run next year’

On a blustery January day in Cleveland, just after the NFL season ended, Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil and the entire defensive staff locked themselves in a meeting room on the second floor of the team facility.

For 13 hours.

Sandwiches were eaten on the go. A swift, 20-minute workout time was permitted. Every single defensive play from the 2014 season was dissected, both the fantastic and the ugly. Constructive criticism was hurled from all different angles.

The purpose of the meeting? How to fix Cleveland’s run defense, which ranked 32nd in the NFL last season.

“We’re going to stop the run. And I want to say that again – we will stop the run next year,” O’Neil said Thursday during an appearance on Cleveland Browns Daily.

There were several epiphanies from what is now being coined by some as the “defensive summit.”

And one of the bigger takeaways is that the defensive line has unfairly shouldered most of the blame for running backs being galloping through the Browns defense. It takes all 11 players to stop the run, a theme that got away from the Browns last season but will be stressed the minute the players walk through the doors April 20.

“It’s not an easy fix but it starts with me,” O’Neil said about making the proper adjustments.

O’Neil’s comment means a few things. One, several slight tweaks to the scheme have been discussed and will be taught in the classroom setting and during OTAs. It was less challenging for the coaches to break down the film now that it was all of the Browns instead of prior cut-ups of coach Mike Pettine’s system with the Bills and Jets.

And secondly, now that the coaching staff has a proper grasp on what exactly the personnel on defense can do, O’Neil can line certain players in different positions where he knows they can succeed.

And if not?

“Players get better naturally Year 2 in the system and if some guys don’t get it fixed, they are not going to be out there,” O’Neil said. “That’s what we’ve been doing most of the offseason – figuring out each player’s biggest strengths as opposed to installing an entirely new system. And I think guys will feel comfortable in Year 2 knowing when they can take more chances. We will go more graduate level with the material.”

Much has been made of Cleveland’s 2015 offseason, but O’Neil unveiled this anecdote few know: Several of the Browns’ defensive coaches had offers to move on to other teams, some with rather large promotions. But the entire staff is back for a second season. That, alone, spoke volumes to O’Neil, who said his group of coaches and players are unequivocally committed and truly believe they can turn the Browns into a regular playoff contender.

“We are going to build a dominating, intimidating group that the Dawg Pound can be proud of,” O’Neil said. “We are going to knock players down and we’re not going to help them up. We are going to build a bully on defense.”

There's also some audio on the link, though it's pretty low quality :

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-defensive-coordinator-Jim-O%E2%80%99Neil-%E2%80%98We-will-stop-the-run-next-year%E2%80%99/f97c585e-216b-4be2-b5c0-c07b381708ef

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, we're all getting in on the Cardale fun?

Jabrill Peppers in 2 years. Safety/Nickel

:D

Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...

Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...

He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).

Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.

Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.

When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd

He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).

Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.

Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.

When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd

Doubt it.

Doubt it.

Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.

I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though

Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.

Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.

I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though

Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.

I was basing it more off of the fact that those SS/LB tweeters seemingly always get hyped early and then plummet. Carolina had a few guys like that over the last years, called them "spur" backs. Always got a lot of hype, never ended up doing too much. Darian Stewart was one and he ended up going undrafted.

Not to say that will happen here, it's just those positions have a bad juujuu.

I was basing it more off of the fact that those SS/LB tweeters seemingly always get hyped early and then plummet. Carolina had a few guys like that over the last years, called them "spur" backs. Always got a lot of hype, never ended up doing too much. Darian Stewart was one and he ended up going undrafted.

Not to say that will happen here, it's just those positions have a bad juujuu.

No no no. If anything he's a "CB/S tweener". Really though he's just a DB. He was rated the #1 CB/ #1 ATH. We are good at CB though, and he can play this Safety/Nickel/46 position very well. He's not a LB/SS tweener. He has the build to be a prototypical NFL CB, and may even get drafted as a CB still, but we're running him in this hybrid position because it allows him to make the most plays and best utilize his skilset

We had one of those awhile ago in Stevie Brown. He was the starting FS on the Giants and was leading the LG in INTs one season until he messed his knee up. I'm not sure where he is now.

and safeties aren't really hot commodities in the first round(ever)......lots and lots of super talented undersized linebackers and slow CB's to fill that void.....

I'm not sure what you mean by "hot commodity". Will there be 8 of them drafted? No. But I think 4 were drafted in the first last year. If you look back through the last 10 years or so of draft picks, 1st rd safeties are normally pretty good.

Joe Thomas: Johnny Manziel lost trust of locker room last year

Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel might be nearing the end of his rehab, but he still has a way to go before he can legitimately walk back onto the field for his team.

Last year’s first-round pick still has a long climb back to football relevance, after making such a mess of his hand-delivered starting assignment last year. And it’s the way he handled that assignment that makes his teammates wonder.

“I think he’s going to have to prove to the team that football is important and being the man, being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is important, it is his goal, his single goal in his life,” left tackle Thomas told Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. “You know, I think he lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter. And I think he had a lot of time to reflect, I’m guessing, after the season was over by the comments he made in the media and by his actions, checking himself into rehab, . . . I think those were really positive steps.

“I’m hoping when we comes back in April we see a new Johnny and everybody’s blown away with his commitment. And I think he’s got the talent, so it’s just a matter of if he commits himself to it, we can have a really good quarterback on our hands.”

Of course, the Browns have covered themselves for the possibility that he won’t by signing Josh McCown, and the fact they’ve been linked with Sam Bradford and Marcus Mariota makes it clear they’re not finished at the position.

“Obviously there’s some uncertainty with Johnny right now and that’s why we brought in Josh,” Thomas said. “He’s a guy that if he’s asked to carry the flag this year, he’s going to do a great job. There’s a chance we draft somebody or there’s a chance Johnny comes back and he’s a new person and he’s rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round.”

And doing that might prove to be a bigger hurdle than anything he’s doing off the field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/06/joe-thomas-johnny-manziel-lost-trust-of-locker-room-last-year/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

He has a bit more hope than I do, but then he's been in practice with the guy . . .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/06/joe-thomas-johnny-manziel-lost-trust-of-locker-room-last-year/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

He has a bit more hope than I do, but then he's been in practice with the guy . . .

Yes, Joe does... if you're looking for a flag bearer.

“He’s a guy that if he’s asked to carry the flag this year, he’s going to do a great job... or there’s a chance Johnny comes back and he’s a new person and he’s rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round.”

Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2

Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.

I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.

Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.

I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.

If they traded up to #2 it would be for a QB.

Short answer, no.

Hmmm.. Surprised by this

I guess I'm about as far away from the terrible NT/RT or NT/WR or OLB/WR 1st Round ideas floated around here.

I'd rather have an elite talent or Mariota then some of these other scenarios

L. Williams is the best prospect in this draft period not Mariota. And they do need a QB. Hearing No on draft trades so what. Offer 12 OR 19, Manziel, Gordon or T. Benjamin(FA 16) or Schwartz (FA 2016). Yea I know, maybe my dumbest post ever. Or is it??

I agree he is on the 2015 elite short list (and it is a short list), but is Williams the best prospect in this draft for Pet's system?

As for terrible 12/19 combos... there have been a few, but packaging them up with both 3rds trumps is right up (down?) there with them.

Stand pat and take the 2 of the best 20 players available to be drafted. Would be nice to replace some of the playmakers we lost. Rubin, Sheard, Skrine and Cameron.

We really don't need another CB, which is why I'm not to upset with letting Skrine go, loved that guy but we are stacked at CB right now and I think Buster deserved a payday.

Sheard was a DE/OLB and we have a few of those on the roster. I would love to see Denzel Perryman though in Orange and Brown. The FO missed the boat when they could have taken Burfict but maybe Farmer is smarter than the last crew.

Replacing Rubin will be tough, through and through Cleveland Brown... for years and years, grinding away. I love Rubin, he's a warrior. But, if we can replace Rubin with Danny Shelton I'll consider it a good move, because as good as Rubin has played for us he's not the same caliber of player that Dan Shelton is. There is a reason Shelton is a Top 10 talent and Rubin went in the 6th round.

Losing Cameron was a HUGE BLOW to Cleveland. Not only losing him but the way in which it went about. I've been rooting for him since we first heard about him before the draft when he was taken in the fourth round. I don't think he has injury issues, just the luck of the draw. And any man that lays out for ball like Cam did for those broke ass passes that got him hurt deserves props... that said though, Cam can go fuck himself. Dude burned us for Miami, that's fine Cam, that's fine. Peace out, you made your bed bro. I say replace him with Maxx Williams. First round TE? Yeah, we don't see many of those, so why is this guy a first round talent? Well, he's big as hell, strong and smart. He'll be able to block in the run game(something Cam couldn't do), block in the pass when needed to(something Cam couldn't do) and he'll make the tough catches much like a Todd Heap for the Ravens. Heap was is the Career Receptions for TD leader and played 10 seasons and in two probowls. Williams' dad and his grandpa both played in the NFL, so the pedigree and the knowledge of what it takes is known to him. He could replace Cameron and we wouldn't miss a beat or even know that he was gone.

I'm asking that we take Shelton and Williams at 12 and 19 and that will be a monster first round. Studs on both side of the ball.

...Although, I see Randy Moss in DGB all over again. That kid with Josh Gordon, will be something special. If Gordon can stay on the right path, that would make for an Amazing Wideout group. DGB, Gordon, Hawkins, Hartline and Benjamin/Bowe. Sweet Jesus, I almost forgot about Gabriel. They are the perfect compliment receivers to players like Gordon and Dorial Green-Beckham.

...Although, I see Randy Moss in DGB all over again. That kid with Josh Gordon, will be something special. If Gordon can stay on the right path, that would make for an Amazing Wideout group. DGB, Gordon, Hawkins, Hartline and Benjamin/Bowe. Sweet Jesus, I almost forgot about Gabriel. They are the perfect compliment receivers to players like Gordon and Dorial Green-Beckham.

DGB doesn't have the hands, speed or body control like Moss. Though, I don't think anyone ever has..

If anything he's a homeless man's Calvin Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Mud there goes C Stefen Wisniewski to the Jags for a mere 2.5 Million for 1 year. But the door may be open in 2016. Resigning Mack best option IMO before LA finds a Team..

Sorry Mud there goes C Stefen Wisniewski to the Jags for a mere 2.5 Million for 1 year. But the door may be open in 2016. Resigning Mack best option IMO before LA finds a Team..

Dagnabbit!

That, right there, was a completely blown opportunity.......

Got a few minutes and ran across this :

Tramon Williams: This is a playoff-caliber team

Free agent cornerback knows how to win in the postseason In eight active seasons with the Green Bay Packers,
Tramon Williamsicon-article-link.gif missed the playoffs only once.

And even though the Cleveland Browns’ postseason drought has reached its 12th season, the cornerback isn’t booking any tropical vacations for the month of January.

After merely two days of conditioning, lengthy meetings with the defensive coaching staff and chit-chatting with members of his secondary, Williams doesn’t just think the seeds have been planted for Cleveland; he sees key components of winning already starting to bloom.

“This is a playoff-caliber team,” Williams said with conviction Tuesday. “The feeling that I get in the building is that everyone believes.”

If there’s anybody who knows what a playoff team looks like, it’s Williams.

A defensive back with a penchant for taking the right risks, Williams picked off three passes during Green Bay’s improbable 2010 playoff run, capping a Wild Card berth with a Super Bowl win over the Steelers. In total, Williams has played in 13 playoff contests.

A self-described “film junkie,” Williams is obsessed with football -- a characteristic coach Mike Pettine and general manager Ray Farmer said is a priority when they sign a free agent -- and not just from September to January. Every year before OTAs begin, Williams pops in tape of the best cornerbacks in the league in hopes of borrowing some new techniques for the upcoming season.

For the last several years, a regular character in Williams’ film rotation has been Mr. Cleveland himself: Browns Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Hadenicon-article-link.gif.

“I like Joe’s game,” Williams said, strongly emphasizing the syllables in like. “It’s kind of similar to mine. That was another opportunity (that made me want) to come in and to play with a guy like that. He plays very, very hard.”

Haden, now entering his sixth season with the Browns, was not shy in admitting it stung to watch his former partner in crime Buster Skrine sign a lucrative offer from the New York Jets. He was happy for his buddy Skrine, but Cleveland was losing a hard-working, well-respected, productive player.

The pain quickly subsided when the Browns announced days later they’d struck a deal with Williams.

042215_haden_jump.jpg

“I can just tell from the beginning that he’s a true professional. He does everything the right way,” Haden said of Williams. “He’s got a wife and two kids. We were just hollering at each other earlier about his family that’s still in Houston.

“He knows the game. We are in there going over the playbook and this isn’t his scheme at all – but he just gets it. He’s got everything down pat. I can tell he’s a quick learner. He’s a pro’s pro. He’s going to fit into the room really well.”

It was a tad strange for Williams to see his locker full of orange and brown gear instead of the green and gold. He knows the NFL is a business and changing uniforms is something nearly every player experiences.

It was enthralling for Farmer and Pettine to see Williams and his long dreadlocks in the building during the voluntary portion of offseason workouts. The power pair knows the NFL is a business and getting the right veteran players to change uniforms like Karlos Dansbyicon-article-link.gif and Donte Whitnericon-article-link.gif can lead to more wins.

So far, Williams’ uplifting attitude and confidence about winning make him seem like he is that right guy.

“I came in and made myself known to the guys. They took me in with open arms,” Williams said. “That’s just how the chips fall. Guys have been good to me so far, the coaches have been great. I’m liking what I’m hearing from those guys. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Tramon-Williams-This-is-a-playoff-caliber-team/a5f8dd72-569b-4a88-9370-5455b66bae5c

They also changed their Home page with a few of the new Uniforms.

This should probably be in the Crazy Mariota trade speculation thread, but I'm posting it here as I've been running short on follow time lately, plus it fits in with a few things I posted several weeks back :

Sam Bradford believes Eagles could still trade him, per report

Earlier this week, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported that the Eagles and Sam Bradford have yet to discuss a contract extension to keep the veteran quarterback in Philadelphia. This inaction has caused some to speculate that the Eagles could trade Bradford in a potential 2015 NFL Draft deal that would help them land Oregon Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota.

According to Jason Cole, Bradford himself believes he might be on the move. Via Bleacher Report:

"Contract talks between Sam Bradford and the Philadelphia Eagles have been basically non-existent so far for a very good reason. In talking to sources around the league and close to Bradford, basically what’s happened is Bradford is not willing to accept a substandard deal based on the injuries that he’s suffered the past two years and have kept him off the field.

The reason is really obvious: he has a lot of money left in the bank from that $50 million signing bonus he got being the No. 1 overall pick in 2010.

However, if you go on the other side of this, Bradford wants to play this out and see what his real value is out on the market and assuming that he can get back to the levels that he showed during the early part of the 2013 season.

In addition to all of that, Bradford doesn’t know where he’s going to be. Yes, he believes the Eagles are going to keep him at this point in time, trust them, but only so far because the [2015 NFL Draft] has not played out. So he believes there is still a possibility that he could be traded somewhere else. And if that’s the case, he wants to wait to see whether that’s a team he ultimately wants to stay with long-term."

It makes sense that Bradford is in no rush to redo his deal. The oft-injured passer is scheduled to make over $13 million in 2015 and has made a lot of money to this point. He can wait to see how he performs in the 2015 season.

The Eagles might be a little more eager than Bradford to get a deal done if they think they can get him at a reasonable price. But they likely won't be in a rush to hand a big extension to a player with Bradford's injury concerns without seeing him play in Philadelphia first.

Meanwhile, the Mariota factor looms large in all of this. The Eagles really aren't going to be in a rush to sign Bradford if he's not in the long-term plans and they believe they can flip him to get Mariota. The Browns are believed to be one team interested in Bradford, but Cleveland is concerned he won't sign an extension. A report in February indicated some teams at the top of this year's draft order actually prefer Bradford to Jameis Winston and Mariota.

If the Eagles don't get Mariota, however, it'll be interesting to see how they handle Bradford's situation.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/4/24/8490613/sam-bradford-trade-eagles-browns-titans-chargers-rams-marcus-mariota

Draft is less than a week away, could be an interesting one this year if I get to watch it.

There's also still talk that Rivers could go the Tenn for #2.

Heck, I've even heard we could land Rivers (too old for my liking).

This should probably be in the Crazy Mariota trade speculation thread, but I'm posting it here as I've been running short on follow time lately, plus it fits in with a few things I posted several weeks back :

I posted in the crazy trade thread .........injury concerns would make this move crazy

seriously....enough with the Bradford crap......

To put it in perspective......with his track record the last 3 years, where would he go in this years draft......???? hmmm?

No where NEAR the first round.....talk about question marks......2 surgeries and then add that you only get 1 year and he's a FA?

So.......Who in their right mind would make that pick?????

So....who in their right mind would trade 19?......(its the same thing)

Some more info along the Mariota lines :

Eagles chase for Mariota might not be over

As the Eagles made one bold move after another this offseason, it seemed Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly was inching closer to a trade for his former Oregon protege Marcus Mariota. After the Eagles traded Nick Foles for Sam Bradford, that vision got murkier, and perhaps it seemed Kelly would go into 2015 counting on Bradford to stay healthy and run the Eagles high-octane offense. Kelly said as much, even suggesting the Eagles received trade offers for Bradford but the team wasn't interested.

Well, now it seems that may have all been a front, as some thought all along. NJ.com is reporting the possibility of a three-way trade that would send Bradford to Cleveland, allowing the Eagles to collect more picks that would be shipped to Tennessee in exchange for the second overall pick. At No. 2, the Eagles could take Mariota, reuniting the Oregon coach and QB.

Surely this three-way trade requires a lot to happen, but it also makes sense. In addition to Bradford, the Eagles would give up Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox. It's a lot, but if Kelly believes Mariota is the player he needs to run his offense, it could be worth it for Philly.

If this trade was to happen, and that's a big if, it would likely be on hold until Tampa Bay makes their pick with the first overall selection. If the Bucs take Jameis Winston, the door would be wide open for the Eagles to move up and nab Mariota. If Tampa selected Mariota, this whole thing falls apart. Mariota to the Bucs is an unlikely possibility, but nothing is final until next Thursday night.

Assuming the Titans are indeed happy with Zach Mettenberger as QB, Tennessee would be doing well in this trade. The Titans would get two defensive starters in Cox and Kendricks, and the opportunity to add two more impact players with the 19th and 20th overall picks. And the Browns? They would get a quarterback, a position of need in Cleveland ever since the team came back from extinction.

UPDATE: Famed radio talker Mike Francesa suggests not only are the Eagles very much in the hunt for Mariota, but any trade with Cleveland would also send Johnny Manziel to Philly. Chip Kelly, Marcus Mariota and Johnny Football? The Internet might not survive.

Will the Eagles make the move for Mariota? Let us know what you think in the comments.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/rumors-indicate-eagles-chase-mariota-not-over-chip-kelly-mariota-bradford-titans-browns-manziel?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Archived