THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

JAFBF

seriously....enough with the Bradford crap......

To put it in perspective......with his track record the last 3 years, where would he go in this years draft......???? hmmm?

No where NEAR the first round.....talk about question marks......2 surgeries and then add that you only get 1 year and he's a FA?

So.......Who in their right mind would make that pick?????

So....who in their right mind would trade 19?......(its the same thing)

Who in their right mind would make that pick or trade .....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ray+farmer+&view=detailv2&&&id=DFAB980BFB8A32A671BA644FE2FC014DB14EAA39&selectedIndex=0&simid=279323676709&thid=HS.279323676709&ajaxhist=0

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously....enough with the Bradford crap......

To put it in perspective......with his track record the last 3 years, where would he go in this years draft......???? hmmm?

No where NEAR the first round.....talk about question marks......2 surgeries and then add that you only get 1 year and he's a FA?

So.......Who in their right mind would make that pick?????

So....who in their right mind would trade 19?......(its the same thing)

Not crazy about Bradford myself, but don't miss this line near the bottom of that Article :

Pretty much speaks to the thinness of the QB class this year.

Watching Eddie Goldman out of FSU right now for the 2nd time. I just... no. No, thank you.

He's a pure 2 down player. He was asked to 2 gap quite a bit at FSU so clearly he's comfortable with that. Handles a double team ok though rarely if ever fights through and off the contact.

Offers ZERO pass rush ability outside of the occasional bull rush. When said bull rush isn't effective the center routinely controls him. Nothing like what I've seen from Shelton, Brown & Davis. Truly hoping the Browns don't invest a first round pick in this kid should all other of "their" top options be gone.

tia, how big is the drop from Shelton to Brown and then Brown to Davis? Both in terms of run D and pass rush?

That's a question I've been asking myself. I don't believe the drop from Shelton to Brown is as severe as the drop from Brown to Davis/Goldman/Jarrett.

Although there are things in Malcolm's game that concern me. His motor to fight through a blocker when his initial pass rush move or first step is made I find lacking. The bull rush is great but not as elite as Danny's ability to consistently walk the center or guard backward. Laterally they're similar, I just see Shelton being a tad more impressive carrying another 20lbs.

Davis of Iowa I mention on pure potential. He needs a good strength and conditioning program for a full offseason. He's good at tying up blockers but his quick feet and one gap potential make him one of those plus size monsters that are told to get into the backfield. The Hawkeyes aren't really creative with him, its hard to get a gauge on what he could do in this defense because he's consistently in the same spot on Iowa's 4 man front. With Danny, they've put him just about everywhere on the line. 0, 1i,3 and 5tech.

That's a question I've been asking myself. I don't believe the drop from Shelton to Brown is as severe as the drop from Brown to Davis/Goldman/Jarrett.

Good rundown there......and Id add that if we're talking NT, then Jarrett has got to be in the discussion right after Brown......he's a big drop off for sure, but more pure NT than those other 2......

I'm getting a bit perturbed about the upcoming Draft this Thursday, some crazy rumored moves that we just don't need to do with all the holes we have :

The warmup :

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate · Apr 25 Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie said he's had discussions about trading the 4th overall pick in Thursday's draft.

The Brown's aspect :

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate · 20h 20 hours ago Raiders & Browns have discussed a trade which sends the 4th pick to CLE in exchange for the 12th & 19th pick. More pieces would be involved.

Could the Browns possibly be targeted a WR ? :

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate · Apr 24 Amari Cooper visited every team in the top 10 except for the... Oakland Raiders.

EDIT :

A bit more thought on the possible trade with the Raiders . . . if we get their #1 next year in the deal, then I'm okay with it as it would give us the ammo to go after Cardale Jones.

I'm getting a bit perturbed about the upcoming Draft this Thursday, some crazy rumored moves that we just don't need to do with all the holes we have :

The warmup :

The Brown's aspect :

Could the Browns possibly be targeted a WR ? :

EDIT :

A bit more thought on the possible trade with the Raiders . . . if we get their #1 next year in the deal, then I'm okay with it as it would give us the ammo to go after Cardale Jones.

I think if we're moving up to #4, we're probably looking at Mariota - assuming he falls past Tennessee. I definitely don't think we'd trade up for a WR.

I think if we're moving up to #4, we're probably looking at Mariota - assuming he falls past Tennessee. I definitely don't think we'd trade up for a WR.

What about Leonard?..... or Beasley?....or Fowler at #4?.....Personally, they're who I would go after if I was at 4.....

If we get #4, damn well better be for Leonard or Shelton. All of the goodwill I have towards farmer for bringing in successful free agents, damn good draft picks (mainly starting with Bito) and UDFA's will go right to hell, very fast - should we trade up and take Mariota.

If actually true, I doubt it's as much about a particular player as it is due diligence around various scenarios. That said, the value of that 4th pick is going to change with who "falls" to #4 and who wants that player... something we benefitted from last year.

Initially I thought their 2015 #2 to be a better possibility (especially if we chip in our 3rd or a player), but they might consider their 2016 #1, if they believe their record is going to improve considerably.

Sounds to me a lot of toes in the Water.. If I put this all together correctly , Last Week it was #2 Tenn. First who wanted 3 first round picks than come back to us with wanting 12,19 and 43 and We turned that down even though the price went down??? Now we go to # 4 Oakland and 12,19 AND More LESSER Pieces would be involved I Would Hope. Farmer knows his guy, Farmer knows who he must jump in front of and know it comes down to at what price. Now two toes in the Water and getting crazier..

That #4 has a value of 1800 trade points....

So, if we were to trade #19 + our 3rd + next years first, that would offer 1980 pts.....and knowing how Oak needs WR, we sweeten it with JG.....(worth at least a few hundred more).....

Then.....we'd have #4 and #12 and could conceivably come out with Beasley(or Fowler) AND Shelton....

Id do it.....

That #4 has a value of 1800 trade points....

So, if we were to trade #19 + our 3rd + next years first, that would offer 1980 pts.....and knowing how Oak needs WR, we sweeten it with JG.....(worth at least a few hundred more).....

Then.....we'd have #4 and #12 and could conceivably come out with Beasley(or Fowler) AND Shelton....

Id do it.....

If it were 2016 Gordon may work but for now all we got is Benjamin who is a FA 2016 and a lesser of Gordon if he stays on the field and that's a real ??? With possible C. Jones on board do we really want to give up a 1 in 2016 ??

If it were 2016 Gordon may work but for now all we got is Benjamin who is a FA 2016 and a lesser of Gordon if he stays on the field and that's a real ???

can we not trade him while he's suspended?....Im asking because I dont know....

Well, Titians and Oakland get us in front of Jets for Mariota and Others. Skins get us in front of Bears and Giants for Shelton and S. Ray was their guy till Toe?? It will be Wild. Who's moving Before Thursday maybe the Question..

Well, Titians and Oakland get us in front of Jets for Mariota and Others. Skins get us in front of Bears and Giants for Shelton and S. Ray was their guy till Toe?? It will be Wild. Who's moving Before Thursday maybe the Question.. [/quote

Skins also get us in front of Jets if Mariota is there.

Due diligence is all.

At least Mayock did not go WR at 12 and then Gordon...

Watching the Cotton Bowl. I think I'm on board with Petty in the 2nd or 3rd.

There was a lot to like there... even in the 2nd, where I think he will go, I still think he's the best potential QB value in the draft... but he's going to have to sit for a while.

Anyway speaking of non-first-round QBs.... Hundley has kind of disappeared.

At least Mayock did not go WR at 12 and then Gordon...

There was a lot to like there... even in the 2nd, where I think he will go, I still think he's the best potential QB value in the draft... but he's going to have to sit for a while.

Anyway speaking of non-first-round QBs.... Hundley has kind of disappeared.

The touch on the deep ball was something nice when Petty had the time to set his feet and drive off that back foot. It will take time to tighten his throwing motion and quicken that release, but he has a solid arm, mobile enough outside of the pocket and a good frame for the position. I was pleasantly surprised his eyes weren't as slow as I originally had believed.

That said, I want to go on record now. If given the option between Leonard and Shelton for the Browns defense - I take Shelton. I can't tell if Leonard is a touch slow off the ball because he just doesn't have that initial elite burst, or because he's being asked to 2 gap. Honestly, the latter seems more likely has he has a couple good pass rushing moves and uses his hands well. However given that Shelton carries another 40lbs, I think he moves just as well laterally down the line when engaged with a blocker(s)

Duly noted...

Here's some late thoughts from R.C. Fischer you might enjoy...

"Among PTD’s, and the world’s, current top-10 projected picks overall—as an NFL GM, I wouldn’t take any of the following defensive players at #10 if they were available…Folwer, L. Williams, Dupree, or Waynes. I would pass on some of them due to valuation concerns or economic (supply-demand) reasons, and others I think aren’t worthy talents to be included in the top-10 or top-32 even. However, I would take Beasley at #10…or at #3."

-- R.C. Fischer is an NFL Draft analyst for College Football Metrics.com, and a football projections analyst and writer for Fantasy Football Metrics.com. He is also a lead writer for PlayTheDraft.com. His group also provides player projections for Advanced Sports Logic’s football software “The Machine.”

https://playthedraft.com/articles-research

One last bit on Petty... the eyes are pretty good, but it's the good mechanics that follow even a minimal drop that still draw me to him as a prospect.

Archived