THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Josh McCown to 3 year contract

Mark O

Mccown is no good but what are the Browns other options?

They didn't commit a ton of money and the cap hit is below your typical starting QB. They will probably take a project in the 2nd or 3rd round and we can hope they guess right and in 2016 or 2017 they have their guy.

The tough thing will be watching Mccown as the starter next season and knowing that Manziel was a wasted first round pick.

heh heh heh, wait till mccown starts getting text messages from our wonderful gm...heh heh heh

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching McCown. He was quite serviceable in Chicago when he had time to throw. Of course it helps having Alshon, Marshall and Forte. But he most made good decisions and at times had some excellent ball placement. If he can step up and at least be what Hoyer was pre-Mack injury, I'm certainly not going to push the panic button.

mccown stinks...face it....but what else are we to do...we are in a serious hole once again....

Im not so sure it's about McCown "coaching anyone up", as much as it's about having a veteran QB in the room who isn't a wedge between players,....and can act as a mentor to any young QB interested in learning....

Does JFF "want" a mentor?....who knows......but he definitely needs one.....for both the field and life

i don't know about you, but you gotta love what the bills are doing...see, there is the difference between a screwed up organization and a good organization....

i don't know about you, but you gotta love what the bills are doing...see, there is the difference between a screwed up organization and a good organization....

Matt Cassel? He sucks ass...

last i saw there was plenty of room left on that bandwagon.

Really, mik... I was about to point out the same thing.

Really good read for a lot more than the mentoring... more so when you realize you've just read an MKC article.

McCown comes across as a mature, thoughtful, serene guy...

Not opposed to this and actually kinda like it. Resigning Hoyer gets us no where in our pursuit to find the franchise QB. McCown gives us comfort that our veteran QB will mentor and gladly serve the backup role when we get our signal caller. Plus I think he's is more accurate than Hoyer.

Jack

Yeah throwing away a first round pick to draft a wr was genius! Then they followed that up by trading away one of the best young linebackers in the league to take on an overpaid RB whose best days are behind him.

The Super Bowl champion is determined by jersey sales, right?

Really, mik... I was about to point out the same thing.

Really good read for a lot more than the mentoring... more so when you realize you've just read an MKC article.

McCown comes across as a mature, thoughtful, serene guy...

Here is even a better article - Bill Polian's take on JM. It ain't over till it's over.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/hall-of-fame_general_manager_b.html#incart_social_feature

JM seems to be taking his rehab seriously. Not one tweet sent by him on his twitter account since before he entered rehab. That's a good sign IMHO.

What a great story it will be .."when" he gets back, and goes all out

into his football career mindset, and is successful.

I wish JF the very best, hope he makes it back to where he's happy and accomplished..

hopefully, with the Browns.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/hall-of-fame_general_manager_b.html#incart_social_feature

JM seems to be taking his rehab seriously. Not one tweet sent by him on his twitter account since before he entered rehab. That's a good sign IMHO.

Or he isn't allowed to have a phone...

Sorry, but I don't want to hear about how well he's doing in rehab...

Not opposed to this and actually kinda like it. Resigning Hoyer gets us no where in our pursuit to find the franchise QB. McCown gives us comfort that our veteran QB will mentor and gladly serve the backup role when we get our signal caller. Plus I think he's is more accurate than Hoyer.

Jack

we better get our franchise qb soon because mccown is old...1 or 2 good whacks on his body and he will be getting mentored, by a doctor...

The amazing thing is how well all those guys performed elsewhere once they left here. ggggg---- :blink:

People keep saying that the Browns kill QBs. I disagree. Half of these guys were DOA when they got here, and the other half were non viable fetuses who proved to be defective from birth.....including when they went elsewhere.

Sorry, we don't kill QBs. They kill us.

yeah , and who drafted or picked them up as fa's....WE FRIGGIN DID....

It is what it is. If drafting the next Peyton Manning was easy every team would have a great QB. Just gotta hope that they are able to find that guy. It is next to impossible to find a good free agent QB because if they were any good they wouldn't hit the market. Maybe Hundley or Grayson will be our franchise QB of the future.

the only thing i'm counting on is the law of averages...sooner or later it will happen...franchise qb...we may have 2 new stadiums built by then but by gum, we'll git our guy..

Ja

he took the pats to the playoffs, so he has potential....just like the bus said on espn...he only needs to manage the game...with that defense and now that the offense is looking pretty friggin good. besides i think he is better than just managing the game. i'd rather have him than fucking mccown...you say cassel suck...fucking mccown is a fucking gasbag loser...that i have to root for now...again, no one wants to come play for this team...

Ja

he took the pats to the playoffs, so he has potential....just like the bus said on espn...he only needs to manage the game...with that defense and now that the offense is looking pretty friggin good. besides i think he is better than just managing the game. i'd rather have him than fucking mccown...you say cassel suck...fucking mccown is a fucking gasbag loser...that i have to root for now...again, no one wants to come play for this team...

let me correct myself, he took the pats to an 11-5 record but they did not make the playoffs that yr...but still pretty damn good and HE IS STILL YOUNG AND COULD BE A MENTOR..

Yeah throwing away a first round pick to draft a wr was genius! Then they followed that up by trading away one of the best young linebackers in the league to take on an overpaid RB whose best days are behind him.

The Super Bowl champion is determined by jersey sales, right?

In fairness to Buffalo Alonso had a bad ACL injury and you never know how those play out

let me correct myself, he took the pats to an 11-5 record but they did not make the playoffs that yr...but still pretty damn good and HE IS STILL YOUNG AND COULD BE A MENTOR..

Techincally 10-5 as a starter that year. I think it was more Belichick than Cassel.

Guy was only able to recreate that magical season once since then. He's had a losing record every other year.

Great he's younger...but he still sucks ass. He took the Pats to an 11-5 record....what was their record the year before that or the year after St. Matt Cassel who never started a game in college. He sucked in KC...he sucked in Minnesota. He's parlayed one good season on a fantastic team that any QB with an ounce of talent could win 8 games at minimum to some huge paydays and a lot of losses.

I'm fine with McCown...he's probably not going to be the starter anyways. It's March 5th...there's a lot of time beween now and training camp.

I am a poster on the largest Texas A&M message board (which I think is the largest college messageboard at large but I'm not sure). Anyway, one of the owners of the site is about 40 and parties with players a lot (Johnny has instagrammed pictures with him a few times) and is good friends with Johnny. This is what he had to say about the McCown deal:

"I think it's the perfect guy for Cleveland and for Johnny and said as much to a couple of friends this week. I've known Josh for a long time and he's exactly the type of teammate, veteran QB mentor and person Johnny needs on that team. He's as good as they come, has a wealth of experience and will be a tremendous help to Johnny in terms of becoming a professional quarterback whether he's doing so as the Cleveland starter or the backup. McCown will compete to win the job and definitely has what it takes to handle the position as a starter but he's also not going to handle things the way Hoyer did if Manziel ends up being the guy at any point.

You guys also know that I've long felt Hoyer was a big part of the constant anti-Manziel leaks coming out of that locker room and the Browns' organization. I'll be quite happy to see him go and stink up the field somewhere else."

You guys also know that I've long felt Hoyer was a big part of the constant anti-Manziel leaks coming out of that locker room and the Browns' organization. I'll be quite happy to see him go and stink up the field somewhere else."

What an assbag that guy is.

Hoyer was responsisble fro anti-Manziel "leaks"?

Sorry, but Johnny was responisible for anything "anti-manziel" and he admitted it.

Johnny admitted he wasn't prepared, Johnny admitted he didn't work hard enough, and then Johnny admitted he needed help.

If Johnny admitted it, why can't you Texas fags admit it and quit blaming Hoyer?

Hoyer worked hard and just wanted to play. he's gone now.

Now we have two Texans, a big, old, slow one and a short, young, fast one.

It's up to Johnny to take responisbility and beat out the big old slow one.

Poor Johnny ... we actually brought in a QB that could compete with ... and out-compete ... him last year.

Now we brought in a "Mentor" ... hopefully that is better for the poor kid. I certainly hope there aren't any more "anti-manziel" leaks!

Zombo

Hey we got conflicting stories every week that somebody leaked to Tony Grossi or Mary Kay Cabot. They came from somewhere.

WSS

Ya, our starting QB was leaking stories about our backup QB in his downtime.

Or ... Maybe Johnny was just an immature asshat and we need not worry about who "leaked it" because when you are an asshat people just know it.

By the end of the season, Whitner and Dansby were calling him out by name ... and they don't even play on the offense.

Zombo

That isn't the point I'm making. I'm saying that every week there were different and conflicting stories coming out of camp, that's all. somebody from the team was talking to Tony Grossi and or Mary Kay Cabot. Who would have an interest in saying either good things or bad things? 1 week Grossi would announce how well Johnny was doing at practice and then report that somebody said he was a total turd. Somebody was bullshitting one way or the other.

WSS

A new Pluto article is up musing about the reasons we opted for Josh. Pretty well incorporates a summary of the general case I've made since he was released by TB:

"3. The Browns studied every snap taken by McCown in the last two years.

4. Last season, the Browns used the play-action fakes to running backs on 29 percent of their plays for Brian Hoyer. Tampa did it on only 9 percent for McCown, second fewest in the NFL. The year before in Chicago, it was 21 percent for McCown.

7. Tampa ranked 29th in rushing. The Bucs scored only seven touchdowns on the ground, and three belonged to McCown.

8. The Browns ranked 17th in rushing with 17 touchdowns on the ground. There is no doubt that the Browns have a much better ground game.

12. Football Outsiders rated Tampa Bay as having the worst offensive line in the NFL, and 29th protecting the passer. The Browns at 24th overall, 15th protecting the passer. The Browns expect a big upgrade with the return of Pro Bowl center Alex Mack and some help in the draft.

13. Profootballfocus ranked the Browns as the No. 6 offensive line in 2014. They had Tampa at No. 25. No matter the ranking, McCown is coming to a much better line.

17. I could not get a sense if the Browns plan to draft a quarterback -- or sign another one. They are looking at some options and their salary cap room gives them chances to reach out for another quarterback."

I'll help Terry out on that last point... Bryce Petty. Right prospect at the right price...

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_their_re.html

I am a poster on the largest Texas A&M message board (which I think is the largest college messageboard at large but I'm not sure). Anyway, one of the owners of the site is about 40 and parties with players a lot (Johnny has instagrammed pictures with him a few times) and is good friends with Johnny.

Obviously your site owner is a marvelous, enabling influence on A&M athletes. But before you go, would you ask him if he knows who manufactured the whole "Brian won't sign if Johnny's still here" stuff?

A new Pluto article is up musing about the reasons we opted for Josh. Pretty well incorporates a summary of the general case I've made since he was released by TB:

"3. The Browns studied every snap taken by McCown in the last two years.

4. Last season, the Browns used the play-action fakes to running backs on 29 percent of their plays for Brian Hoyer. Tampa did it on only 9 percent for McCown, second fewest in the NFL. The year before in Chicago, it was 21 percent for McCown.

7. Tampa ranked 29th in rushing. The Bucs scored only seven touchdowns on the ground, and three belonged to McCown.

8. The Browns ranked 17th in rushing with 17 touchdowns on the ground. There is no doubt that the Browns have a much better ground game.

12. Football Outsiders rated Tampa Bay as having the worst offensive line in the NFL, and 29th protecting the passer. The Browns at 24th overall, 15th protecting the passer. The Browns expect a big upgrade with the return of Pro Bowl center Alex Mack and some help in the draft.

13. Profootballfocus ranked the Browns as the No. 6 offensive line in 2014. They had Tampa at No. 25. No matter the ranking, McCown is coming to a much better line.

17. I could not get a sense if the Browns plan to draft a quarterback -- or sign another one. They are looking at some options and their salary cap room gives them chances to reach out for another quarterback."

I'll help Terry out on that last point... Bryce Petty. Right prospect at the right price...

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_their_re.html

Obviously your site owner is a marvelous, enabling influence on A&M athletes. But before you go, would you ask him if he knows who manufactured the whole "Brian won't sign if Johnny's still here" stuff?

Focus also has us as the #2 pass blocking OL. I don't understand how the two sites can have such vastly different rankings.

Zombo, the belief from Johnny's camp is that Hoyer was in fact leaking things to the beat writers. I'm not saying I agree or not, don't really think it matters personally. But Liucci (author of what I quoted) is good friends with Johnny, as I said, and I'm pretty confident that what he said is a good reflection of how Johnny views the situation.

And Johnny accepting a "Buck stops here" stance does not constitute confirmation that he doesn't believe there were other factors. Part of that was obviously spin. I do think he's growing up a bit.

Archived