THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Josh McCown to 3 year contract

Mark O

Im not so sure it's about McCown "coaching anyone up", as much as it's about having a veteran QB in the room who isn't a wedge between players,....and can act as a mentor to any young QB interested in learning....

Does JFF "want" a mentor?....who knows......but he definitely needs one.....for both the field and life

Sums it up for me. McCown is at the end of his career and while serviceable he's also looking to stay past his playing days. So he's more than happy to get a year or 2 of player money and show his chops at coaching QB's. Hoyer wants to start plain and simple. Browns don't see him as their future so turn the page. Same with the other FA QB's. They all expect a legit shot at starting and it ain't gona happen with us. Nobody has a clue how Manziel is gonna work out after rehab so expect a move for a QB in THIS draft. Farmer loves Hundley so if he's there (or close to there) in the 2nd that's your guy.

And, as usual, the idea of a team tanking for next years draft is idiotic at best.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team isn't looking to tank anything. Whoever holds that idea needs to stop.

It's clear to me the brass is 100% behind Johnny as their QB. Nobody knows how that is going to end up, but I agree with the decision. We have to let that play out. It would be stupid not to at this point.

McCown gives us a option if JM fails this year and have to seek a QB next draft. With that in mind, I could see us trading down again this year to secure more picks in the next draft. It is going to be harder to do. But if the right player falls, we might get some offers for our pick.

The team isn't looking to tank anything. Whoever holds that idea needs to stop.

It's clear to me the brass is 100% behind Johnny as their QB. Nobody knows how that is going to end up, but I agree with the decision. We have to let that play out. It would be stupid not to at this point.

McCown gives us a option if JM fails this year and have to seek a QB next draft. With that in mind, I could see us trading down again this year to secure more picks in the next draft. It is going to be harder to do. But if the right player falls, we might get some offers for our pick.

I guess we'll see in a month or two.

Mccown is no good but what are the Browns other options?

They didn't commit a ton of money and the cap hit is below your typical starting QB. They will probably take a project in the 2nd or 3rd round and we can hope they guess right and in 2016 or 2017 they have their guy.

The tough thing will be watching Mccown as the starter next season and knowing that Manziel was a wasted first round pick.

You could have made an attempt to sign someone who had potential for upside in his game. McCown doesn't offer that.

Are there great options out there? Absolutely not. But McCown doesn't offer a decisive upgrade to what we had in Hoyer.

This all but guarantees (at best) a similar QB situation to what we've been dealing with for years.

Why wouldn't they take a stab at someone younger with a little upside to their game?

It appears to me that JM has made the move they wanted to see and they now have a new OC that won't get him killed, a QB coach who has worked with both Manziel and McCown and an experienced QB that actually wants to teach a young guy how to take his place. Payoff for him is that this sets up his own future as an NFL coach on some level if he does a really good, unselfish job of it. Payoff for the Browns is they really get to see (hopefully) the real JF and can determine this season if he is their future or they need to look harder in 2016. It's a win for all involved.

Im not so sure it's about McCown "coaching anyone up", as much as it's about having a veteran QB in the room who isn't a wedge between players,....and can act as a mentor to any young QB interested in learning....

Does JFF "want" a mentor?....who knows......but he definitely needs one.....for both the field and life

Agree... on-field there is a QB coach and OC to coach up the QB.

Off-field? Well once upon a time we hired Calvin Hill.

Its a simple signing of a veteran since obviously the Browns and Hoyer can't come to terms. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty sure it was at least a little more, e.g., role, but in the end I think it was a good deal more. I think it came down to who the FO thought had the best chance of returning to form.

I agree with their decision.

Watching McCown. He was quite serviceable in Chicago when he had time to throw. Of course it helps having Alshon, Marshall and Forte. But he most made good decisions and at times had some excellent ball placement. If he can step up and at least be what Hoyer was pre-Mack injury, I'm certainly not going to push the panic button.

Bingo... Josh's is role here, game manager, will be far closer to his Chicago role than what TB asked of him, which was basically to carry a team.

Well, that was easy.

See ya, Troll.

Zombo

Thank you, Z...

You could have made an attempt to sign someone who had potential for upside in his game. McCown doesn't offer that.

Are there great options out there? Absolutely not. But McCown doesn't offer a decisive upgrade to what we had in Hoyer.

This all but guarantees (at best) a similar QB situation to what we've been dealing with for years.

Why wouldn't they take a stab at someone younger with a little upside to their game?

I think the point was that they either have faith in Manziel or they are going to make a move for Mariota. Why sign someone younger with upside when the goal is to develop one of those two guys?

McCown wasn't brought in to be a franchise QB. He wasn't brought in to start for the next three years. Hell, he may not have been brought in to start this year.

If they were looking for a veteran to handle the team for the next few years, I think they'd have attempted to resign Hoyer. What they're looking for, and what they may have found, is an experienced veteran who realizes he's on the downside of his career and isn't looking to be "the man", but more "the mentor for the man".

As a fan this was a seriously disheartening move that requires further explaination as to why they brought in McCown over Hoyer, we all know hoyer was not the answer but he had the teams respect and proved he could win some games but now we are stuck with a consummate loser and 2 less than impressive journeymen..

It may be hard to stomach watching any games this year especially with the new uniforms likely featuring loser shit brown pants and an over the hill QB that has never been a winner..

As a fan this was a seriously disheartening move that requires further explaination as to why they brought in McCown over Hoyer, we all know hoyer was not the answer but he had the teams respect and proved he could win some games but now we are stuck with a consummate loser and 2 less than impressive journeymen..

It may be hard to stomach watching any games this year especially with the new uniforms likely featuring loser shit brown pants and an over the hill QB that has never been a winner..

This thread has explained over and over again why this FA acquisition makes sense and why they selected JM over BH. We all have opinions on which is the better QB but as neither of them are "the answer", we locked-up one of them to fill a need ( and picked the one that would maintain a positive influence in the locker-room no matter what role he plays in the future.

With Hoyer in FA, Manziel in Rehab, and Shaw perhaps not having the tools, we didn't have a QB that could be counted on to start. Now we do. So we go into the FA/draft with the following philosophy: 3 QB's (likely) 1) A veteran back up who can start if necessary - McCowan check. A high risk/reward QB that could be "the answer", probably won't be, needs a lot of coaching and prep - Manziel check. 3) Someone (in either FA or the Draft or through Trade) that the Browns really think can be the answer. #1 holds down the fort while #2 is evaluated in the next 9 months and #3 is a continual search (for a franchise QB as it is for most teams in this league).

I really don't think Hoyer wants to be a Brown and I'm not sure if we will ever know how much he was looking for salary wise. I really don't know who would be the young free agent QB with a little upside.

Not many athletes want to come to Cleveland. This is apparent. If they do it will be because the have the delusion that its an opportunity, they are at the end of their career, have ties to the area or they are being paid a premium. Upper management has had extremely high turnover, the owner is a scumbag and the Browns have had two plus 500 seasons since we came back in 99'. Its a god damn circus. The acquisition of McCown however you perceive it is an act of desperation. Why not acquire better talent when we have so much cap space. I m not saying spend the money because we have it, but lets make fiscally sound decisions and stop this shit show.

This thread has explained over and over again why this FA acquisition makes sense and why they selected JM over BH.

Struck me that we are now in need of an initials convention. I propose:

• JM = Johnny
  • JMc = Josh
Do I hear a second?

B4b9fWQIQAAt40Y.jpg

This is getting complicated. Do we put McCown down again, or do we just take the line out the first one? Do we go back and make the first one L. McCown and add a new one J. McCown? Looks like we are about 4 names from the floor ... that will probably be "the guy", the guy that hits the floor.

Zombo

I would point out that Connor Shaw started for us, yet is not on the jersey.....I call foul!

You are right ... we are three from the floor.

McClown ... Marriotta? Foles? Cardale? who will be the lucky bastard to hit the floor?

Zombo

... that will probably be "the guy", the guy that hits the floor.

Gotta be a line there about "raising the floor" or "knowing where that guy's floor is"...

B4b9fWQIQAAt40Y.jpg

This is getting complicated. Do we put McCown down again, or do we just take the line out the first one? Do we go back and make the first one L. McCown and add a new one J. McCown? Looks like we are about 4 names from the floor ... that will probably be "the guy", the guy that hits the floor.

Zombo

The amazing thing is how well all those guys performed elsewhere once they left here. ggggg---- :blink:

People keep saying that the Browns kill QBs. I disagree. Half of these guys were DOA when they got here, and the other half were non viable fetuses who proved to be defective from birth.....including when they went elsewhere.

Sorry, we don't kill QBs. They kill us.

This thread has explained over and over again why this FA acquisition makes sense and why they selected JM over BH. We all have opinions on which is the better QB but as neither of them are "the answer", we locked-up one of them to fill a need ( and picked the one that would maintain a positive influence in the locker-room no matter what role he plays in the future.

With Hoyer in FA, Manziel in Rehab, and Shaw perhaps not having the tools, we didn't have a QB that could be counted on to start. Now we do. So we go into the FA/draft with the following philosophy: 3 QB's (likely) 1) A veteran back up who can start if necessary - McCowan check. A high risk/reward QB that could be "the answer", probably won't be, needs a lot of coaching and prep - Manziel check. 3) Someone (in either FA or the Draft or through Trade) that the Browns really think can be the answer. #1 holds down the fort while #2 is evaluated in the next 9 months and #3 is a continual search (for a franchise QB as it is for most teams in this league).

..another old fart at the helm...just what we need...here we are, 17 yrs later and no friggin franchise qb...we are still plugging old farts in...ala delhomme...see where that got us...wow...at least we could have gone after vinny testaverde...heheheheeeeeee

Mccown is no good but what are the Browns other options?

They didn't commit a ton of money and the cap hit is below your typical starting QB. They will probably take a project in the 2nd or 3rd round and we can hope they guess right and in 2016 or 2017 they have their guy.

The tough thing will be watching Mccown as the starter next season and knowing that Manziel was a wasted first round pick.

mandweeb will be out of football soon

Archived