THE BROWNS BOARD

20 Ideas The US Needs To Steal From The Rest Of The World

gftChris

http://distractify.com/mark-pygas/things-we-need-in-the-us/?ts_pid=2

Some of these I'm not so sure about, like earnings-based fines, but others, such as the speeding ticket lottery seem pretty awesome. Also, love this:

When it comes time for an election in Australia, everyone is required to have their say. If you don't turn up then you get fined, meaning that 95% of Aussie voters attend polling. That's compared to 36.6% in the 2014 US midterms. Those who don't wish to vote but also don't want to get fined usually void their paper by drawing phallic objects on it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

compulsory voting would be juxtaposed 180° from a supposedly free people.

I could see a case for only allowing educated people to vote (by having some system in place where you need an understanding of the state of socio-economic and geopolitical affairs). But I can't reconcile that with having a true and open democracy that does what the people want.

It's just a shame people are stupid.

to vote in a Federal Election you should know who your Senators are and who your House Rep is. If you don't even have that basic knowledge the voting touch screen might as well be like a fast food cash register with Burger, Fry, and Shake Icons.

I could see a case for only allowing educated people to vote (by having some system in place where you need an understanding of the state of socio-economic and geopolitical affairs). But I can't reconcile that with having a true and open democracy that does what the people want.

It's just a shame people are stupid.

Weighted voting based on an exam!

I propose an intelligence exam for ANYONE that wants to drive a car. Stupid people should NOT be allowed to drive.

Iq exams only measure a certain type of intelligence. Of course a liberal supports discrimination when he thinks it will benefit his agenda.

The flip side is that if liberals are the dummies that conservatives think they are then the IQ based voting should only benefit them, correct? Or do conservatives only have a "certain type of intelligence"?

Please explain how an IQ test measures a potential voter's ability to make "good" decisions in the voting booth.

It doesn't. What is a "good" decision anyway? And who's to say the political party in power couldn't skew the "exam" to their advantage?

An exam to vote is about as unamerican as it gets. Sounds more like communism.

Please explain how an IQ test measures a potential voter's ability to make "good" decisions in the voting booth.

It doesn't. What is a "good" decision anyway? And who's to say the political party in power couldn't skew the "exam" to their advantage?

An exam to vote is about as unamerican as it gets. Sounds more like communism.

It would be a pretty good measure that the person is intelligent and likely making an informed decision before going into the voting booth.

I am not advocating for it but I could see why someone would want to make sure we have an intelligent group of voters going into each election.

Just a general working knowledge of the world, specifically this country, would do. It doesn't have to be an "IQ" test per say.

Also an ability to form one's OWN opinion would help.

Following what the "party" line is, or following some blowhole on TV or radio, is NOT knowledge. It's one-sided and not really helping things

I didn't see my favorite idea which is the loser pays system that I've heard our friends in Great Britain use.

(but the cynic in me can certainly see a plethora of abuses in some of them. I've got a bad knee hopefully I can get a free blowjob in Holland. ;) )

And will be liberals in the Netherlands allow a hooker to refuse a blowjob to a non circumsized cripple during Passover?

WSS

Only productive members of society can vote. Meaning working full time and not receiving government assistance. If you receive government assistance you may not vote until you being working and continue to work for at least one year and have stopped receiving any type of welfare or unemployment.

Only productive members of society can vote. Meaning working full time and not receiving government assistance. If you receive government assistance you may not vote until you being working and continue to work for at least one year and have stopped receiving any type of welfare or unemployment.

Also, anyone over 65 can't vote. You're in the back 4th of your life anyway and won't really have to deal with the consequences of your votes.

Also, based on DieHards suggestion, really retirees in general can not vote. They aren't contributing and just receive money

anyone who pays taxes, and owns property can vote.

that excludes college students going to college IN OTHER STATES, especially.

well, excludes all college students. Unless they are working and paying taxes...

with a property ownership exemption, except on LOCAL and STATE ISSUES.

That oughta do it.

Also, anyone over 65 can't vote. You're in the back 4th of your life anyway and won't really have to deal with the consequences of your votes.

Also, based on DieHards suggestion, really retirees in general can not vote. They aren't contributing and just receive money

BUT its not assistance, it is earned money. I would make the voting ages 32-65 with above work stipulations. Twenties is too young too vote. Still a baby brain.

anyone who pays taxes, and owns property can vote.

that excludes college students going to college IN OTHER STATES, especially.

well, excludes all college students. Unless they are working and paying taxes...

with a property ownership exemption, except on LOCAL and STATE ISSUES.

That oughta do it.

That excludes anyone in an apartment or renting a house...

Also, I never voted on local issues when I was at Michigan. It didn't make sense to me. I had no intention of working there after school.

That excludes anyone in an apartment or renting a house...

Also, I never voted on local issues when I was at Michigan. It didn't make sense to me. I had no intention of working there after school.

As someone who pays property tax through the nose for my four houses it is annoying to see school levies voted on by people with no actual skin in the game.

I just bite my tongue and assume it's a cost of doing business.

WSS

I was just going to make the "skin in the game" point. As in,

you're on welfare, renting, and you get to vote to raise levies?

Property tax - once you own your own home, by God, you shouldn't

have to keep paying "rent" on it. That's more like "protection money - you keep

paying to be allowed to keep your home you paid off"

Archived