20 Ideas The US Needs To Steal From The Rest Of The World

gftChris

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Property tax - once you own your own home, by God, you shouldn't

have to keep paying "rent" on it. That's more like "protection money - you keep

paying to be allowed to keep your home you paid off"

I have never understood this. Might as well say you are renting your property from the government. You get behind on those taxes, they will sure as shit come and take it.

As I stated earlier, just having a test be:

who are your two Federal Senators?

who is your representative in the US House of Representatives?

That would probably eliminate 30-40 percent of voters

To eliminate another 10-20 percent of voters

what is the difference between debt and deficit?

Lol..I guess you can say that.

Listen to these Michigan products...

So... I watched some of that.

1) Jesus that guy is annoying

2) Cutting together random encounters on the street can make any group look bad

3) Why are some on here so against education? Do you really think profs are just brainwashing students to be liberal? Do you just listen to people like thus to explain college to you? Is it just a way to discredit any educated "elitist"?

What was your college experience Bunker?

Teacher, cashier, street poet, etc. unless you go on to start your own business related to your degree or become an entertainer.

To be fair, Liberal Arts includes degrees that can result in "legitimate" jobs.

How about, Liberal Arts - STEM degrees

What kind of job does a degree in liberal arts get you?

Well when I went to college there were flyers all over the bulletin board pushing applications from recent graduates. The companies were corporations of various types but many of them specified any degree. I'm assuming that someone who puts the time and effort into graduating has a certain type of responsibility that would be valuable to a company. Especially opposed to 1 or 2 years dicking around in college which shows lack of same.

I think things may be different in today's market and a more specified degree would be preferred.

WSS

Well when I went to college there were flyers all over the bulletin board pushing applications from recent graduates. The companies were corporations of various types but many of them specified any degree. I'm assuming that someone who puts the time and effort into graduating has a certain type of responsibility that would be valuable to a company. Especially opposed to 1 or 2 years dicking around in college which shows lack of same.

I think things may be different in today's market and a more specified degree would be preferred.

WSS

Well, those are liberal arts degrees.

Get a STEM major and you'll have specific jobs to apply for

(some more broad than others. As an ME, I can really apply to almost any engineering job. Also, finance/consulting places take engineers as well. It is much easier to teach an engineer/STEM major business then teach a business major math/quantitative skills/etc)

It is much easier to teach an engineer/STEM major business then teach a business major math/quantitative skills/etc)

I'm not an English major but did you really just write this sentence, read it, think "yeah that makes sense," and then post it??

Holy fuck.

I'm not an English major but did you really just write this sentence, read it, think "yeah that makes sense," and then post it??

Holy fuck.

As honorary interpreter for Woody on this board...I got nothing.

Holy fuck.

Pretty sure he only wrote it and posted it

Holy fuck.

Than not then, my apologies.

It is easier to teach STEM majors business (business skills), than to teach non STEM majors quantitative skills....

Was it really that hard to understand? Lol

Outside of the then/than typo, it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe it involves college talk with the major phrasing.

The typo wasn't a problem - I didn't even notice and still don't care.

"Business majors can't learn math/ quantitative skills"

What is it you think a CPA does all day?

I never said can't.

Consulting firms, trading firms, etc, recruited our engineering department. Not for engineering skills, but quantitative skills. They could fill in the gaps in business knowledge with on the job training.

I'm saying that, it is easier to do this than take your average BBA and teach them the engineering skills or technical skills.

I'm just relaying what I've heard from recruiters and others. I'm not saying smart business majors don't exist, I'm not saying they aren't good at math, etc etc etc.

No you're right. You never said can't. But it's what you meant.

I think you're thinking about an online business administration degree which is the business/Econ equivalent of a construction management degree in the engineering world.

Apples / oranges.

No you're right. You never said can't. But it's what you meant.

I think you're thinking about an online business administration degree which is the business/Econ equivalent of a construction management degree in the engineering world.

Apples / oranges.

Well thank you for telling me what I meant. Clearly you would know more about what kind of business jobs engineering majors get recruited for than the engineering major that graduated last summer...and attended multiple company info sessions...and a career fair with 300 companies...

Not to defend him but I think I understood what he meant. That is he believes it would be easier to teach math and science majors business science than vice versa.

I think he is wrong as there are different skill sets needed to succeed in different endeavours.

As a matter of fact Id bet theater majors would do a helluva lot better in politics then mathematicians.

WSS

So now it's who gets hired by what jobs blah, zzzzzz......

Keep editing and revising your point. (You're on your 3rd if anyone wants to keep track)

What do you want me to dispute?

What the hell are you talking about? How have i changed my point once?

You started telling me what I thought, and what I meant, which is fucking hilarious.

I gave you evidence why I would know what I'm talking about. I'm not backtracking in any way

Not to defend him but I think I understood what he meant. That is he believes it would be easier to teach math and science majors business science than vice versa.

I think he is wrong as there are different skill sets needed to succeed in different endeavours.

As a matter of fact Id bet theater majors would do a helluva lot better in politics then mathematicians.

WSS

Obviously there are different skill sets required for different jobs. For some business jobs you need to have soft skills (which, I mean, you need in anything), negotiating skills, etc etc. You are both taking my statement and making it more than what I said.

STEM majors go through 4 years of high level math and science. They understand numbers. They have whatever quantitative skills, problem solving skills, etc you could need for a business major. Some companies choose to take these students, the ones that also have the interpersonal skills you may need, and mold them into the business world.

I have not yet seen a technical company looking business majors to fill technical roles...

Theater majors probably would do better in politics than math majors. Congrats. That really isn't at all what I'm talking about, but ok. (That opens up a whole other discussion about how I think we need more STEM majors in politics).

Investment banking, consulting, trading, etc. All of these are traditionally pulling from the business side but they recruit engineers and other STEM majors as well. Find an engineer with interpersonal skills and a willingness to learn, and you're golden. (The stereotype of engineers being awkward and unsocial, from my time at Michigan, isn't really that true. Those kids definitely still exist, but in some majors [like comp sci] much more than others).

So, again, from everything I have seen, read and been told, by knowledgeable people, it is easier (companies would rather) take STEM majors and teach them business skills than to take business majors and teach them "STEM" skills.

Are we good now? Geez...

Let's recap:

Woody: "it's easier to teach business to STEM majors than it is to teach math/quantitative skills to business majors"

legacy: "that's a ridiculous statement."

Woody: "Then/than grammar harrumph"

Legacy: "Math & quantatative skills are predominantly what business majors are taught"

Woody: "I graduated with an engineering degree and we are highly recruited by business firms all over. I should know- I just graduated and went to multiple company info sessions and a career fair that would make PT Barnum shit his pants"

Legacy: "I'm not talking about career fairs. why do you insist on changing the subject about which we are disagreeing on?"

Woody: "now you're telling me what I meant. I'm not back-tracking"

You might make the greatest politician in the history of ever. Honestly. I don't even know how to continue.

Archived