THE BROWNS BOARD

20 Ideas The US Needs To Steal From The Rest Of The World

gftChris

You seemed to have heavily edited your own responses in your summary....

... fuck it dude, I don't care. It doesn't affect me (probably), and it doesn't affect you. If you don't believe me, it couldn't matter any less. I'm telling you what I've seen, what I've read, what I've been told first hand by recruiters for these companies. If you chose to not believe me, then that is your choice.

Good day

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You responded to one of my first posts with

"Business majors can't learn math/quantitative skills".

You put quotes around a comment to signify it was something I said, except I didn't say that at all. Then, you felt compelled to tell me what I actually meant... because apparently you knew better than I do.

Now, after already displaying the fact you didn't know what I said or what I was talking about, you're going to tell me to go back and reread my own posts? Haha. After already taking what my comments said, and saying they meant something else? Hahaha. Right, I'm totally the one that has missed the point entirely........

Now, for real this time. Good day.

You put quotes around a comment to signify it was something I said, except I didn't say that at all. Woody

Woody, you are singling out one way of using quotation marks. There are direct and indirect

uses of quotation marks. As in, quoting exactly what you said, that's DIRECT quoting,

and then paraphrasing what you said, which is INDIRECT quoting. They are both valid.

Often, when someone paraphrases what you said, (indirect quoting), they are trying to explain what

they think you meant with the words you posted, even though you meant to say something different.

Not always someone else's fault.

Nope. Here is my first response, kids meal:

MLD Woody said

It is much easier to teach an engineer/STEM major business then teach a business major math/quantitative skills/etc)

I'm not an English major but did you really just write this sentence, read it, think "yeah that makes sense," and then post it??

Holy fuck.

You still think its easier to "teach an engineer/STEM major business then teach a business major math/quantitative skills/etc"? Business majors do nothing but "math/ quantatative skills"

*That's* what I was contesting. How are you not understanding this?

Had you said "easier to teach an engineer/STEM major business then teach a business major *STEM*" this wouldn't have been an issue.

But thank you for shedding light on the importance reading comprehension ought to still play in higher education.

Does woody ever stand behind anything he says?

It always seem misconstrued from his end and he never means what he really meant. That is of course if he stands behind anything at all. I rarely see text of how he feels about certain issues.

Other than religion sucks.

Gays are awesome.

And global warming.

Does that pretty much sum up woody?

Does woody ever stand behind anything he says?

It always seem misconstrued from his end and he never means what he really meant. That is of course if he stands behind anything at all. I rarely see text of how he feels about certain issues.

Other than religion sucks.

Gays are awesome.

And global warming.

Does that pretty much sum up woody?

Hates Ohio State and thinks only arithmetic should be taught in schools.

:D

WSS

when emotions dominate a person... and take the place of rational, logical appraisement of

reality, and is the sole mode of problem solving, it is a clear indication

that it is the innate psychological defense mechanism...

of hard core liberals. :)

I might be of some help on the matter of business/science majors learning new skills, having first done a mathematics course and then a finance masters. We had people from all backgrounds in the finance course, from chemical engineers to econ/MBAs, and as a trend (though not exclusively) the people from scientific backgrounds did better. It *is* a lot easier for someone from a STEM background to learn about debt/equity ratio, portfolio management and corporate finance than it is for someone from a pure business background to learn stochastic calculus and financial statistics.

Maybe I've slightly misinterpreted the argument here and if so I apologise, but there's my two penneth.

Anecdotal evidence time!!! Yes!!!

Okay, here's mine:

My Dental School class graduated 100 people. 80-85% were traditional biology, chemistry majors. We also had poly-sci, history, Econ, studio art (sculpture specifically- she killed it in wax carving class), graphic design, IT.

A microbiologist graduated #1 & a microbiologist graduated 100.

Anecdotal evidence time!!! Yes!!!

Okay, here's mine:

My Dental School class graduated 100 people. 80-85% were traditional biology, chemistry majors. We also had poly-sci, history, Econ, studio art (sculpture specifically- she killed it in wax carving class), graphic design, IT.

A microbiologist graduated #1 & a microbiologist graduated 100.

That's your anecdotal evidence time. When you look at a trend of a *business* school with a few thousand students over a couple of years, it becomes statistically significant.

And this is presumably the part where your 'anecdotal evidence' - a smaller sample from a dentistry school - is somehow more admissible than my 'anecdotal evidence' -a larger sample from a business school - on the subject of people learning business/finance from different backgrounds?

That's all you're citing as any kind of evidence though? I mean, apart from just calling Woody stupid (and I'm not blaming you for that ;) ) you've basically not discussed anything outside of your one graduate class?

Incidentally, that's presumably a conversion course? I didn't realise those existed for dentistry, I would have thought it would require the full however many years.

It's a four year doctorate just like the other hundred dental schools in the States. We all enrolled at the same time, and graduated 4 years later, thus we are a "class"

I only like doing this because y'all (well woody infinitely more than you) gets very defensive over personal educational background.

This started because he made an "analogy-type" statement that would have been thrown out if it were found on any kind of standardized test (and likely prompted melt-downs of 15 yr old pre-STEM students across the US). I just voiced my qualm with it. And we all watched him demonstrate with words what a "blue screen" looks like on a human being.

When it comes to education, I tend to just pipe in when it gets relevant to me, like it did here, because I can add some value to the conversation, which I hope I did. It's a bit different over here, so it's sometimes useful to get a different perspective on things like this.

Didn't realise dentistry was also a post-graduate thing - what was your major, then?

The reason I never provided any evidence until now is because I actually agree with the argument/statement he thought he was making.

Instead, he made a statement didn't make any sense and I commented that it was A ridiculous statement. And next, Sparks and smoke

Fair enough. Like cal said about Ben Carson (I think), Woody sometimes misses the point he's trying to make, and often I'm the only person around who understands what he's saying!

I really don't think it was that difficult of a statement to grasp. Legacy also responded to it with quotes around something I never said or attempted to say.

I guess if you just decide on your end what I'm saying, then it might not make any sense. My suggestion would be to just read my posts as is though...

I really don't think it was that difficult of a statement to grasp. Legacy also responded to it with quotes around something I never said or attempted to say.

I guess if you just decide on your end what I'm saying, then it might not make any sense. My suggestion would be to just read my posts as is though...

And as I said at the time, I struggled to grasp what you were saying, before clarifying :)

It's a four year doctorate just like the other hundred dental schools in the States. We all enrolled at the same time, and graduated 4 years later, thus we are a "class"

I only like doing this because y'all (well woody infinitely more than you) gets very defensive over personal educational background.

This started because he made an "analogy-type" statement that would have been thrown out if it were found on any kind of standardized test (and likely prompted melt-downs of 15 yr old pre-STEM students across the US). I just voiced my qualm with it. And we all watched him demonstrate with words what a "blue screen" looks like on a human being.

It wasn't an analogy. I guess analogy-type? But I'm not sure what that is

Really, it wasn't that defensive. In all of these instances where you seem to think I'm being defensive, I'm not just replying to myself...

I made a statement. You disagreed and tried to morph it into something I never said. I provided my anecdotal evidence, if that's how you want to describe it, of how "business" companies recruit a top engineering school and what I've heard first hand. Chris presented his anecdotal evidence.

"blue screened"? How? Again, if you just actually read my post, instead of twisting it into what you saw fit, there probably wouldn't be any issue here.

Archived