THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn not NFL caliber

Lumbergh

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well see now THIS is where I start to sound a feel like Lum and Stan and ousev.

If shipping out BQ for someone like Cutler, or even sanchez or Stafford would "alienate 90% of the fan base" then our fan base is the problem.

I want the Browns to succeed as a team, regardless of an idividual player. Like it or not Mangini is the coach now. If HE decides it's in the best interest of the Browns to ship BQ out, then that's his decision he'll have to answer to down the road. We as fans are not privy to all the information the coaches and GMs use to make these decisions, and I think for the most part it ludicrous for the fans to act like they know more.

I can disagree with a move Mangini makes, but it won't alienate me.

Reality is a huge portion of the fanbase is attached to Quinn. They aren't going to be happy no matter what the FO does. But I guarantee you, if they ship out Quinn, there will be blood.

And when you make decisions based on what the fan base wants exclusively...you are in trouble......

It's not like BQ is not worthy of a season of starts or something. They aren't attached to him just because he's BQ. He has tremendous possibility for success and unless he's actually given a shot, it would be asinine for him not to have his chance.

because they love keeping guys who can't cut it. willie mcginnist and kameron wimbly come to mind

willie was here for vet leadership... and towards the end of the season he stepped up and made some plays... Kam has been a disappointment since his breakout rookie year with 11 sacks... but did u honestly believe that antawn peek was the answer opposite him? get another pass rusher opposite wimbley and maybe his sack totals increase??? teach him another pass rush move?? wouldn't give up on him yet... Rob Ryan hopefully will kick this D in the ass and actually play aggressive instead of this play not to lose bullshit

Joe J. was a business decision and one that has to be made to keep the team competitive. You lose out trying to be loyal and compassionate to guys who aren't making the grade.

On Quinn, you'd rather he keep a guy here that he doesn't have the confidence in? Which would affect how he game plans, uses that QB, and drafts the positions around the QB?

Again, Do I think Quinn will be a good NFL QB? I do, but it's not because he's an Ohio born guy who loved the Browns. It's because he has the skill set needed. If Mangini has a different skill set he'd like to build around. That's his perogative.

I still dopn't know where these people come up with Mangini doesn't have confidence in Quinn. Nobody seems to want to send me that link. Some moron looking for a story said weeks ago that if Cleveland was interested in Cutler it would mean that Mangini isn't sold on Quinn as his starter. From that we get that Mangini has lost confidence in Quinn.

I know it's a slow news period but that is a hugh stretch..................Mangini hasn't said shit and nothing has leaked out of Berea.

So, maybe if we say Mangini does't care to spend time outdoors hunting and fishing it will get turned into "MANGINI HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT JOE THOMAS". Then the next thread here would be maybe we should trade Thomas and draft one of the premier LTs in this draft.

It's all spin and speculation with no fact. Quinn isn't going anywhere. He's exactly the QB that Mangini likes. A QB that can march a team down field and move the chains. A QB that has some mobility and uses his check down guys well. Mangini isn't an air it out type guy. He spends high draft picks on offensive linemen because of his affection for the running game.

Not siding with either one, it's just DA had his shot and the franchise thought it was time for Quinn.

If you side with Quinn then that precludes you from saying you don't side with either one. Can't have it both ways BQ fan.

FYI, it's not a matter of DA "having his shot" and now it's Quinn's turn. Sorry, doesn't work that way BQ Nation.

It is simply a matter of who is a better quarterback.

"I know all of Cleveland has great hopes for Quinn, but the general feeling in the NFL is that he’s too inaccurate and too inconsistent to be a full time starter. Quinn slipped in the draft two years ago for a reason, and that reason was his inability to be accurate on all three levels. As Cleveland makes changes to its roster, don’t count out making a move at quarterback."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...he-cutler-saga/

This is so true. Quinn did not impress me whatsoever when he started. I understand that he hurt his "pinky" finger, but really, this is the NFL is it not? There is a reason Quinn was passed over in the draft by so many teams, and left to squirm on National Television. He isn't very good.

woops oh wait I read that wrong then...

We give up the 5th???

then no way

I thought we'd be getting cutler and a 5th

You do realize I that Cutler is better than both Anderson and Quinn and has proved it in the NFL, the #5 pick you have no idea how good or bad he will play in the NFL, so you are saying you would not trade a QB who has done nothing in the NFL with the exception of 1 game against a bad Denver Bronco defense where he dinked and dunked all night and a unproven rookie for a quarterback who is already a top 10 QB in the league? I just don't understand Browns fans, you have the opportunity to get a Franchise Quarterback who's proven and you don't want to get him because you have to trade a #5 pick thats never played in the NFL and a quarterback with one decent game in the NFL against a bad defense........................Note: Until we get a NFL QB we won't win anything and Quinn or Anderson has not shown me anything to say we can win a Super Bowl with either one. but people here want to spend a #1 draft choice on a LB when we can't score touchdowns on offense.........How can you win games when you can't score points

That's sounding less likely by the day.

Who knew that the best way to make Quinn a starter in Cleveland would have been to keep RAC as HC?

Randy "Al Davis" Lerner is probably kicking himself right now hearing report after report about Mangini's low opinion of the Golden Boy.

Lum, Browns fans just don't want to admit that Mangini is not that impressed with Quinn and wants his own QB, just like all new coaches want to bring in there own type players.

If Mangini really thought Quinn was his guy he would have annouced him as the starter end of story, that he has not annouced Quinn as his QB is more telling that he is not that impressed with Brady and he may get rid of both Quinn and Anderson and its not a smoke screen as most Browns fans want to believe.

I still think its 80/20 that the Browns start Derek Anderson at QB and trade Brady Quinn or we will have a new QB and it won't be dink and dunker Brady Quinn as the starter in 09, I think we saw enough in a dink and dunker with Charlie Frye

But why is your "speculation" which I bolded anymore accurate that anyone esle's speculations? I haven't heard Mangini say that about Quinn nor have I seen him quoted saying anything about Anderson either? Why? because it's the smart move. You don't tip your hand till it's necessary.

Maybe Quinn is the 'TYPE' of QB Mangini likes, but maybe Mangini doesn't like something specifically about Quinn's play. Or maybe he doesn't like Quinn's hair, or Maybe he doesn't like that Quinn was a Savage draft pick and he wants to build with his "own" guys.

There aren't ANY real FACTS out there. It's ALL Speculation until something is done to change the speculation.

Again I believe Quinn fits what Mangini wants to run on offense. I believe that Quinn will be the starting QB come late August. But to claim you know anything for certain just flies in the face of reality.

At least we both believe one thing. It is all unfounded speculation and not a bit of fact, truth or evidence to show anything either way. And, that was my point...........................................thanks

Guest TheJokersWILD
Lum, Browns fans just don't want to admit that Mangini is not that impressed with Quinn and wants his own QB, just like all new coaches want to bring in there own type players.

If Mangini really thought Quinn was his guy he would have annouced him as the starter end of story, that he has not annouced Quinn as his QB is more telling that he is not that impressed with Brady and he may get rid of both Quinn and Anderson and its not a smoke screen as most Browns fans want to believe.

I still think its 80/20 that the Browns start Derek Anderson at QB and trade Brady Quinn or we will have a new QB and it won't be dink and dunker Brady Quinn as the starter in 09, I think we saw enough in a dink and dunker with Charlie Frye

Why would they if they are installing a west coast type offense? DA is more of a "vertical" style offense guy. Personally I would rather take a dink and dunk guy who can consistantly move the chains then a guy just chucking it as far as he can and hoping his receiver will come down with it.

I still dopn't know where these people come up with Mangini doesn't have confidence in Quinn. Nobody seems to want to send me that link. Some moron looking for a story said weeks ago that if Cleveland was interested in Cutler it would mean that Mangini isn't sold on Quinn as his starter. From that we get that Mangini has lost confidence in Quinn.

I know it's a slow news period but that is a hugh stretch..................Mangini hasn't said shit and nothing has leaked out of Berea.

So, maybe if we say Mangini does't care to spend time outdoors hunting and fishing it will get turned into "MANGINI HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT JOE THOMAS". Then the next thread here would be maybe we should trade Thomas and draft one of the premier LTs in this draft.

It's all spin and speculation with no fact. Quinn isn't going anywhere. He's exactly the QB that Mangini likes. A QB that can march a team down field and move the chains. A QB that has some mobility and uses his check down guys well. Mangini isn't an air it out type guy. He spends high draft picks on offensive linemen because of his affection for the running game.

And you know all of this because why? Eric Mangini has spoken with you and told you that Quinn is his QB and the type of QB he likes

Why don't you tell everyone about you conversation with Eric Mangin and how you know all of this?

This should be interesting Ytown lets hear all about your conversation with Eric Mangini......Did he tell you who he likes in the draft or his opinions on other players? Ytown were'nt you the same guy that said the Browns would not pickup Jamal Lewis roster bonus.......why did they decide to pickup that roster bonus when you told us Browns fans that would not happen........what about signing Derrick Ward? you told us the Browns would sign him

I sick of the fact that I must keep referencing my thread:

1.First off I would like to request that before responding to this post you watch this video...

2. Secondly I would like you to take a visit to this url, it is Brady Quinns Scout.com profile from college:

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&amp...amp;nid=2477577

3. Thirdly read this quote from a quinn interview:

"

Ken(Seattle): Brady since the season has ended there have been many questions regarding arm strength and if you can throw the long ball. What would you say to your critics?

Brady Quinn: That's the first time I've ever heard anything regarding my arm strength. I've never had any problems throwing the ball down the field."

4. Read this article, it may not say the best things about Quinn, but it does say he has a solid arm

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/VIPIMP/Brady_Quinn/4086

5. John Murphy Yahoo Sports "Quinn overcame questions about his accuracy, pure arm strength and pocket presence a year ago to post one of the best seasons of any quarterback in Notre Dame history. He jumps right back into the fire this Saturday in the Irish's home opener against Penn State, a team that features three of the best linebackers in college football. "

6. In this video you can see Quinn toss two 50 yarders with ease

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/uncategorize...ady-quinn-38251

I hope this finally shuts the haters up. The Browns kept Quinns throws short because they're testing him out, and then let him work his way up to the bombs. I was at the houston game when he threw the pretty 40 yarder to Braylon, and you can see littered throughout his highlight video at the top that he can make ALL the throws, and accurately. Alot of people are treating him like he cant throw a ball past the 35 yard mark when it is well known that he tops out in the mid 70's. Its B.S. that he is getting the shaft when it comes to talks about his arm because he is consistently compared to the likes of J Russel and Derek Anderson, those guys dont have good arms, they have rocket launchers. Quinns arm is just as good as Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings. I hope this threat has changed the mind of those who question the distance that quinn can go.

3441454122-cleveland-browns-quarterback-brady-quinn-fires-11-yard-pass-maurice.JPG

Oh... are you ppl still hungry? Heres some more!

Found it!

Holy shit that was a throw!!

Quinn is an NFL QB, he has a GREAT arm, he is NOT a dink and dunker, and he WILL start for the Browns. He is most likely chillin with Daboll right this second.

the guy is only a FORMER front office member of the Browns......

That says it all.

Why would he have any more credibilty than some reporter that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground?

He could simply have an axe to grind. He's less credible than someone on the outside looking in.

Plus, It seems it doesn't matter what business you are in, It amazing how some of these people end up in any kind of management position. We laugh about it at my job everyday.

Go back and watch his ND games. The kid is ok. Good velocity. Accurate.

Guest Masters

Really?!?!? Come on Sony. If Mangini did that, with either guy, no matter who he likes, it would hurt their trade value. The new front office hasn't shown any commitment to either guy to protect the trade value of whom ever they plan to trade. Or they may really plan on keeping both and letting them fight it out in camp.

The real fact is that the new front office hasn't said a single real word about either of the QBs. It is all speculation on who they like, don't like, or if they don't like either. There has been nothing telling in any form.

Saying Mangini hasn't named Quinn the start is telling, is like saying Mangini hasn't named Cribbs the starting returner is telling that he'll be gone. But if I were to play the "more telling game", i'd say the following have been more telling that Quinn will have to lose the job to DA, if DA remains on the roster, and that DA is the odd man out:

1. After the firing of RAC and Savage, Lerner trotted out Joe Thomas and Brady Quin as the spokes people for the team. You know that Quinn being put out as the face of the franchise was a topic when Lerner interviewed coach candidates.

2. Mangini come from the BB coaching tree. He was an assistant coach when Weiss was there. So Mangini will have the skinny on Quinn, and Mangini has tried to run the Patriots type O in NY (obviously not so much with Favre).

3. DA is Favre-esc, in that he has a huge arm but makes bad mistakes (DA is not the athlete Favre was and can't get away with them like Favre could). That didn't just work out so well for him.

4. Brian Daboll was a WR coach in NE with Weiss as the O-coordinator. He is gonna end up running an O similar to what NE ran under Weiss. Obviously with his own new twists from other systems. But if the base is Weiss-esc, Quinn is the guy that already knows it, gets it, and had high success in it at the college level.

Some of what you say I don't disagree wtih. but Cutler comes with his own negatives. I'm not sure he's proven he's THAT much better than DA or Quinn. DA made a Pro-Bowl...so did Cutler. Cutler is notorious for making bad decisions at bad times. You can blame it on Denver's defense all you want. But Cutler hasn't won anything for Denver yet has he? Even with Shanahan and he had a much beter running game than DA did in his good year. Add to that Cutler has a rep for being a whiner who his teamates tend to tire of...and yes.

I stand by my opinion that I'm not giving up an extra draft pick to trade him for Quinn.

Its not even close, put Cutler and Anderson on the open market as Free Agents and see who gets more offers and more money

Cutler is a FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK one of the top young guns in the NFL

Cutler did not win a playoff game in Denver but he took a terrible team this year playing with a fullback playing running back and then a guy off the street Tatum Bell with a defense that was terrible and he still just missed taking that team to the playoffs, I don't know of many QB's who could have done better than Cutler with that defense.

Many of his bad decisions were forcing things knowing in order to win they had to outscore every team they played and if he did'nt put 30 points on the board Denver was most likely going to lose.

Who said his teamates are tired of, people I know of in Denver say his teamates love him

Put Cutler on the Jets and they are in the playoffs and contending for the Super Bowl, now can you say that about Derek Anderson, Cutler would turn many teams into winners overnight.

All I'm saying if the Browns were to acquire Cutler you don't have to worry about the QB position for the next 10-12 years and you can concentrate on building the other areas of this team, and its always easier when you can build around a franchise QB.

Trading the #5 pick in the draft which is a unproven player and Brady Quinn another unproven player for Cutler and a 3rd or 4th round draft choice IMO would be a STEAL for the Browns.

Tell me is there any player in this draft the Browns could select at #5 better than Cutler? if so I sure would like to know who

Guest Masters
I sick of the fact that I must keep referencing my thread:

Oh... are you ppl still hungry? Heres some more!

Quinn is an NFL QB, he has a GREAT arm, he is NOT a dink and dunker, and he WILL start for the Browns. He is most likely chillin with Daboll right this second.

That throw into the back of the truck is basically what the NFL deep ball throw is. You are trying to hit an area the siz of that truck bed that your WR can adjust and make the catch. The fact that Quinn hit that dude standing the truck bed is just impressive.

Of course there was no one coming at him when he threw it :)

Guest TheJokersWILD
It seems that way to you because you are one of Brady's Ladys.

Whether you'll admit it is not relevant.

What do you say Lummy....

1. After the firing of RAC and Savage, Lerner trotted out Joe Thomas and Brady Quin as the spokes people for the team. You know that Quinn being put out as the face of the franchise was a topic when Lerner interviewed coach candidates.

2. Mangini come from the BB coaching tree. He was an assistant coach when Weiss was there. So Mangini will have the skinny on Quinn, and Mangini has tried to run the Patriots type O in NY (obviously not so much with Favre).

3. DA is Favre-esc, in that he has a huge arm but makes bad mistakes (DA is not the athlete Favre was and can't get away with them like Favre could). That didn't just work out so well for him.

4. Brian Daboll was a WR coach in NE with Weiss as the O-coordinator. He is gonna end up running an O similar to what NE ran under Weiss. Obviously with his own new twists from other systems. But if the base is Weiss-esc, Quinn is the guy that already knows it, gets it, and had high success in it at the college level.

Wow the connection is so simple it only takes a dozen or so sentences to explain it. And at the moment this mystical offense only lives in the minds of BQ nation. But maybe you're onto something here masterbater......

....or then again, BQ Nation has had a tendency to pull this kind of stuff out of its ass and etch it in stone, only to have it found to be wrong.

That throw into the back of the truck is basically what the NFL deep ball throw is. You are trying to hit an area the siz of that truck bed that your WR can adjust and make the catch. The fact that Quinn hit that dude standing the truck bed is just impressive.

So Quinn's best throw ever was in a parking lot into the back of a truck? Was this at a tailgate party? Was it a NERF ball?

Back to FOOTBALL for a moment....ole weinee arm's only attempt at a deep ball flailed in the air like a punt. 10 mins later his ass was back on the bench.

Guest Masters
Wow the connection is so simple it only takes a dozen or so sentences to explain it. And at the moment this mystical offense only lives in the minds of BQ nation. But maybe you're onto something here masterbater......

....or then again, BQ Nation has had a tendency to pull this kind of stuff out of its ass and etch it in stone, only to have it found to be wrong.

As far as playing the "more telling game", yeah, it only takes a few sentances to explain it. It's called logical thinking. Nothing mythical about an offense that already exists (Weiss/NE's style where these coaches come from) and coaching tendancies.

I have etched nothing in stone. Simply pointed out that the logic train points toward Quinn, based on staff and tendancies. Has nothing to do with your make believe BQ Nation you throw people into, when most you chuck in there are Browns fans. They'd be just as happy w/ DA QB'ing if it was good QB'ing and CLE was winning.

Guest Masters
So Quinn's best throw ever was in a parking lot into the back of a truck? Was this at a tailgate party? Was it a NERF ball?

Back to FOOTBALL for a moment....ole weinee arm's only attempt at a deep ball flailed in the air like a punt. 10 mins later his ass was back on the bench.

Dude, watch the videos if you are gonna comment. I mean Quinn's highlight reel is filled with those good deep ball throws.

Oh, and the video I am talking about is on a NY street with a NFL football, in a dress shirt, pants, and dress shoes.

Archived