THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Would You Be ?

gumby73

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bullshit Woodrow. Look I don't begrudge your love of a sport that bores most of us shitless. It's the only one I can think of with as many girls playing but...

If suburban kids are playing sports de los pro football and baseball will naturally fall to soccer.

WSS

I don't care how you feel about the sport. I do not care what preconceived notions and biases you have. That doesn't matter.

Facts are facts. And your dumb post is still a dumb post.

Idk how many times I need to say this, I was never comparing football and soccer. Your stupid comment regarding suburban moms and black kids, which then morphed into comparing soccer to football, means nothing. This was soccer vs baseball. How you could see baseball as more physical/dangerous is beyond me.

What comments are you making now? How will you continue to walk away from your original post. You just keep bringing up more and more statements that don't relate to your original post at all.

I do not care if you do not like soccer. I do not care if your knowledge of the sport and those who play it is next to nothing. Just try to stay on topic with your original post, or admit you were wrong to begin with.

I don't care...... I do not care .......doesn't matter.

I do not care...... I do not care.......

Exactly.....you said it!!!

Is there ANYTHING you dont feel compelled to argue about?.......oy.....

nobody cares about any of this....nobody, nobody, nobody......

Yes, congrats. With no other words around those statements, it looks like you have something there...

Your first post made no sense. Then you tried to get away from it. Then you tried again. You were incorrect originally and have done nothing to show otherwise.

If you are done adding anything of value to this attempt at making a point, then I might as well stop at all. It is easy to see when someone is backed into a corner, and at this point I wont get anything of value out of you.

Exactly.....you said it!!!

Is there ANYTHING you dont feel compelled to argue about?.......oy.....

nobody cares about any of this....nobody, nobody, nobody......

Anything I don't argue about? Um,the vast majority of the rest if the posts on this forum to start with...

I apologize for choosing to argue this one topic.

Football is a collision sport

Soccer is a contact sport

Baseball is a "maybe there is some light contact, and anything big is generally an accident, like two outfielders running into each other, or a wild pitch"

I am not sure how you could list baseball as more physical than soccer...

The statistics say otherwise.

Baseball has the highest fatality rate in kids 5-14 in all major sports including football. And also a higher injury rate. So there goes that argument.

It boils down to the pussification of America and that not much skill is needed to lightly jog around and kick a ball back and forth. More specific mechanics are needed early on for baseball vs soccer. And parents anymore would rather stare at their phones then play catch with their kids.

It boils down to the pussification of America and that not much skill is needed to lightly jog around and kick a ball back and forth.

was running 7 min miles my last 2 years in the army. a friend who was Ft. Devens soccer team goalie needed an emergency stand-in for a player who was running late to base so they didn't forfeit a playoff berth. i played for about 10 minutes and was dying. not as easy as you think.

And parents anymore would rather stare at their phones then play catch with their kids.

agree 100%. thanks you madden playing assholes.

Football is a collision sport

Soccer is a contact sport

Baseball is a "maybe there is some light contact, and anything big is generally an accident, like two outfielders running into each other, or a wild pitch"

I am not sure how you could list baseball as more physical than soccer...

Lets not over Die sect this (and every statement). KIDS 5-12. Ever accidently been hit By a Baseball that a young Kid usually can't control at that Age. Now try a Soccer ball, the physicality part usually comes at later years. When THEY drive Mini Vans with there own Kids or Jr. High ;) Some parents with YOUNG children Wussify there child's activities when it comes to sports.. Done and GO BROWNS. WOOF WOOF !!

I was at a little league round robin(Tris Speaker league)...maybe 75-76ish.....at JCU ball fields(all dorms now)....and 10 yr pitcher takes one back straight to the chest...dead instantly....no shit....

Though...after 12 years of meets, touring and training with my daughter....I gotta say the most dangerous sport for kids is gymnastics....hands down....I watched her smash into wood beams, vaults and fall 10 to12 feet on a daily basis....regularly injured....and just get up and do it again......over and over and over.......brutal brutal shit and tons of pain just to learn this stuff and get through practice.....

She was way WAY tougher than her football playing boy friend....

was running 7 min miles my last 2 years in the army. a friend who was Ft. Devens soccer team goalie needed an emergency stand-in for a player who was running late to base so they didn't forfeit a playoff berth. i played for about 10 minutes and was dying. not as easy as you think.

Thats from the German crystal meth you were snorting.......

well I'm talking about the kids not adults. Most kids can run for a long stretch and not even phase them... Especially mine.

What position did you play?

Hey, hey, hey... Madden is great.

The statistics say otherwise.

Baseball has the highest fatality rate in kids 5-14 in all major sports including football. And also a higher injury rate. So there goes that argument.

It boils down to the pussification of America and that not much skill is needed to lightly jog around and kick a ball back and forth. More specific mechanics are needed early on for baseball vs soccer. And parents anymore would rather stare at their phones then play catch with their kids.

Highest fatality rate for youth sports seems like something based on a very small sample size. Enough kids with unknown heart conditions play and you could be leading.

Where is your data to say it has a higher injury rate? I would like to see that.

You clearly know nothing about playing soccer. "Lightly jog around and kick a ball"... haha ok. Whereas in baseball, when on offense, you're sitting down or standing at a base the majority of the time. On defense you're standing around the majority of the time. By "team sport" maybe 3 people work together on a given "play". Yep, baseball is much more "manly" and "intense". If only more kids played baseball, then there would be no "wussification"....

Lets not over Die sect this (and every statement). KIDS 5-12. Ever accidently been hit By a Baseball that a young Kid usually can't control at that Age. Now try a Soccer ball, the physicality part usually comes at later years. When THEY drive Mini Vans with there own Kids or Jr. High ;) Some parents with YOUNG children Wussify there child's activities when it comes to sports.. Done and GO BROWNS. WOOF WOOF !!

I am not 100% sure what you just said... but I agree with one thing. Go Browns!

As far as injuries go (though I am not in the "youth group"), over the past 6 months or so I have fractured my thumb and separated my shoulder playing soccer. Not exactly the worst injuries ever, but I had to go get checked out. This is just a somewhat competitive level too. Oh, and I broke/tore something in a guy's ankle. Something to put him in a boot for awhile.

I've coached my cousin's soccer team for a few years now, and she has moved her way up to travel soccer. Between that and some club games, these girls get physical. It definitely isn't just prancing around, and they're only 11.

The idea that you just job around lightly for 60 to 90 minutes is pretty damn ignorant. You make contact, you play physical. Where, again, the vast majority of any contact in baseball is an accident.

Also, great MLS game on right now between LA and NE on Fox Sports

Check with the administrators, maybe they will add a forum for soccer, possibly combined with hairdressing and home decorating.

WSS

We'll have to put something together for the Women's World Cup in a week.

Unless you HATE AMERICA STEVE!

As far as injuries go (though I am not in the "youth group"), over the past 6 months or so I have fractured my thumb and separated my shoulder playing soccer. Not exactly the worst injuries ever, but I had to go get checked out. This is just a somewhat competitive level too. Oh, and I broke/tore something in a guy's ankle. Something to put him in a boot for awhile.

I've coached my cousin's soccer team for a few years now, and she has moved her way up to travel soccer. Between that and some club games, these girls get physical. It definitely isn't just prancing around, and they're only 11.

The idea that you just job around lightly for 60 to 90 minutes is pretty damn ignorant. You make contact, you play physical. Where, again, the vast majority of any contact in baseball is an accident.

Also, great MLS game on right now between LA and NE on Fox Sports

So how do you coach soccer Woodly?

How are the plays drawn up? Strategies used?

I was told that if soccer appears to you as a bunch of guys kicking a ball up and down the field, then you understand soccer.

Between the Men's WC last year, the Women's WC this year, the 2016 Copa America tourney being held in the US, (and potentially the 2022 WC), growing popularity of the EPL, growing popularity and expansion of the MLS, bringing older overseas stars to the MLS, shifting US demographics to ethnicities that watch soccer, etc etc etc

Among 12-24 year old in the US, Messi is their 4th favorite athlete and Ronaldo is their 7th.

Or this graphic from a few years ago, showing Pro Soccer as the 2nd favorite sport among 12-24 year olds

Soccer.jpg

Soccer is growing in popularity in this country, whether some want to admit it or not.

On the other hand....

games-of-week-ratings.jpg

world-series-ratings.jpg

median-age-avid-sports-fans.jpg

favorite-sport-percentage1.jpg

On the other hand Baseball is dying a slow death. The average fan is getting older and older as kids today become less interested in the sport. I find the sport incredibly boring, and look forward to it becoming much less relevant. Watching the same Top 10s all summer, a variation of maybe three different plays in baseball, gets incredibly old...

No doubt. I think a big part of that is baseball is a game of failure. Even when you do great, you fail around 60% of the time. Todays parents and kids can't deal with failure. Face it, any clumsey kid can manage to kick a ball. "Good job Johnny, you kicked a ball!"

No doubt. I think a big part of that is baseball is a game of failure. Even when you do great, you fail around 60% of the time. Todays parents and kids can't deal with failure. Face it, any clumsey kid can manage to kick a ball. "Good job Johnny, you kicked a ball!"

Exactly. I started playing little league in Brookside park when I was around 7 or so. Baseball is a game of skill. Soccer you need to be able to run and have aerobic endurance, plus kick, but that is about it.

Exactly. I started playing little league in Brookside park when I was around 7 or so. Baseball is a game of skill. Soccer you need to be able to run and have aerobic endurance, plus kick, but that is about it.

Yes, I'm sure all of the fat kids love baseball...

If you think there is no skill involved with soccer, even at a young age, you again have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, at a young age the "skill factor" plays less of a role as pure athleticism, but it still matters a good bit. If swinging a bat and throwing a ball are your gold standard for skill, I'm not sure how you couldn't give credit to dribbling, passing, shooting, defending, etc.

Sure, any clumsy kid could kick a ball, but that doesn't mean they'd be anywhere close to decent at the sport. Those kids that have no business playing at a young age, are we to assume they only exist in soccer? Parents font want their kids playing baseball because it is "so difficult" and you usually fail... But everything you do in soccer is a positive? Come on...

This idea that soccer is popular among 5-12 year olds for "all of the wrong reasons", and that is causing the increase in popularity... Is just incorrect. Soccer is growing across many levels, including 12-24 year olds, where more competitive play will occur. Not to mention those that like watching the sport and its superstars.

Of course, there is still the decreasing popularity of baseball as a whole too.

But posters on here can keep grasping at straws to explain the changing dynamic. Your past time is fading and its all that damn wussification... Sure thing..

So how do you coach soccer Woodly?

How are the plays drawn up? Strategies used?

I was told that if soccer appears to you as a bunch of guys kicking a ball up and down the field, then you understand soccer.

Do you think all a coach does in football is call plays?

Are you asking this sarcastically or do you really have no idea what you're talking about?

I've coached 7 to 11 year olds, the majority of what I focus on is fundamentals in practice. In a game, theres the basic subs and formation setting. There's also on the spot coaching opportunities to improve positioning, defense, decision making, etc.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with tho, but it looks like you're just showing you have no idea what you're talking about again.

I said if soccer is just a bunch of light jogging and kicking a ball to you, then you really don't know anything about the sport.

My intent was to poke fun at your graph from earlier.

What am I wrong about? What evidence do you have to show I am wrong?

Show me those graphs that show young people just as interested in baseball...

I hate baseball, but I have been to more Indians games than pro soccer matches (0 pro matches, but some college games and 1 international game). You know why? It is readily available and pretty cheap. I imagine if I lived in Cbus I would have gone to some crew games. My friends went, I was invited, and after the game we hung out downtown. Hardly anyone at a baseball game even watches the game anyway, based on my experience. Of course, there being more people attending baseball overall (more matches, more stadiums, more teams) which probably means more young kids (probably, you'd need to provide data) doesn't mean much in the context of what we were talking about. I have provided numerous pieces of evidence showing the decline in baseball and growth in soccer. What do you have...?

... the Gippper "old man" special, anecdotal evidence. Congrats, your kids didn't want to go to a soccer match for the pro team that didn't exist in Cleveland. That settles the debate then...

Ah....so there it is. See the bold. It has nothing to do with facts/statistics....its just something you don't like.

What evidence do I have.....the Jan. 2015 graph that says that MLS is like I said....next to last on all sports on that list in interest.

Not sure what it is about that you cannot read.

I don't care how you feel about the sport. I do not care what preconceived notions and biases you have. That doesn't matter.

Except....of course you only were interested in the facts that supported your view...and ignored that did not.

But Steve is right.....innercity black kids probably care less for soccer than they do baseball. I think that was his point....his fact...that you chose to ignore.

Idk how many times I need to say this, I was never comparing football and soccer. Your stupid comment regarding suburban moms and black kids, which then morphed into comparing soccer to football, means nothing. This was soccer vs baseball. How you could see baseball as more physical/dangerous is beyond me.

It seems that you know far less about baseball than any of us know about soccer. Did you seriously just ask how anyone can find baseball more physically dangerous than soccer? Have you ever watched a baseball game. You do know that they throw a rock hard projectile very near the body on every single baseball pla at a very high rate of speed, don't you? You do know that there is a reason they wear helmets, don't you.

Would you like to ask Ray Chapman if it is dangerous. Oh, sorry, you can't....he died from being hit in the head by baseball. How about Herb Score, Tony Congliaro? How about Ray Fosse.

What comments are you making now? How will you continue to walk away from your original post. You just keep bringing up more and more statements that don't relate to your original post at all.

That is his prerogative to do if he wants.

I do not care if you do not like soccer. I do not care if your knowledge of the sport and those who play it is next to nothing. Just try to stay on topic with your original post, or admit you were wrong to begin with.

So....OK....since you clearly know nothing about baseball......and he apparently knows nothing about soccer....the shut the fuck up yourself in making any comparisons.

I don't think anyone would argue that soccer is not a more aerobic sport than baseball. But if I want an aerobic sport, I will engage in jogger watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVX2bNx4NtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HX6XfwZUJs

You'd be surprised at the amount of skill it takes to dribble and control a ball while sprinting at nearly full speed, then drop a 20 yard cross into the box in front of someone who is also running full speed. Or the amount of skill it takes to field a pass and drive a kick with your non-dominant foot.

Hell, I'd be surprised if half of you could manage to even attempt a kick on a rolling ball while running full speed.

I hate soccer because I'm terrible at it...but I respect the hustle. And I was a five sport athlete in high school...so I'm not necessarily lacking in the athletic talent department. It's simply a tough sport for some people to grasp.The amount of physical talent required to play the sport at a high level is no less than it is for any other sport, nor is it any greater.

The argument of what sport takes more skill is, and always has been, a stupid one. Each sport requires the same amount of skill and focus, just in different ways. Comparing the talent required to hit or throw a 95 MPH fastball with the talent it takes to kick or block a 65 MPH soccer ball is comparing apples and oranges.

Endurance is talent. Hand eye coordination is talent. Strategy retention is talent. All of it is talent - it's just different forms.

Archived