THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson Vs. Quinn

Zombo

Who will win out?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Open Competition for starting Quarterback?

• Derek Anderson
    • Brady Quinn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think when Mangini gets to see DA attempt to throw a short pass everyday that'll be enough to end the battle.

You have to have a littlle finesse in this league. Especially with the way defenses like to blitz now. If you are one dimensional as DA is, it simply isn't going to work.

Quinn can't throw the ball as far, but who cares?

Quinn can get the ball downfield well enough, he has the touch to throw short and he's more mobile. DA can only do one of those.

and Quinn is smart enough to know that even if a guy is open he has to have the same color uniform as you before you throw him the ball.

I am embracing the competition.

Usually, I think QB competitions are gay. The old saying is, if you have two QBs, you don't have any QBs.

But I'm so tired of the whining from both sides, that I want this thing settled fair and square on the field.

I think that out of the competition will emerge our leader who will take this team to the Promised Land.

I also think that while the media and the fans will be all atitter about the QB clash ... the team will quietly strengthen. We have all new position coaches, many new veteran faces, and some strong draft choices coming in ... I love what Mangini has done so far and I think we will be surprisingly strong.

So let's get this thing over. Let them throw the pigskin until one emerges the leader. Then cut bait with the other and move on.

Battle Royale for the right to lead the Browns into the future...

Arm vs. Charm

West Coast Aloof vs. Local Leader

Boat Shoes vs. Crotch Grabber

Lumberg vs. Shep

Manwaggoners vs. Quinn Fags

Choose a side and let them start slingin' and swingin'

Zombo

Since I am both a Shep & Quinn fag, my vote is for the charming crotch-grabbing local leader. :)

Guest Masters
shep are you turning over a new leaf?

because you sure as hell weren't saying that last year.

Quinn got curb stomped in training camp and you still wanted to give it to him.

Curb stomped in training camp? You mean when there was no competition last season and DA was announced the starter before camp opened?

Or do you mean in 2007 when Brady was putting up TDs in his few preseason games, while DA couldn't beat out Frye?

.its no secert the vast majority of the fan base ,you know the people that buy tickets and make the nfl their money want quinn..

That has nothing to do with it. The day the fans start dictating who plays.....we're done because i have held a firm belief for a long time that the vast majority of people are pretty ignorant....and that isn't pointing fingers at you or anyone else on an individual basis.

I also question it is the vast majority...a percentage want DA and a percentage want whoever is best and don't care who it is.

I said Anderson for 2 reasons.

First, the fact he is opening it up means he isn't totally sold on Quinn.

Second, i think there is a good chance Quinn will be shipped.

The fact they are opening it up means they are not sold on our 2 year pro-bowl starter and want to see what bq has to offer you DA fags all think the same bq isnt the one in question here he hasnt started over 20 games in the past 2 years.. DA is the one on the hot seat...;)

Would anyone expect the new regime to hand over the keys of the kingdom to a guy that has 3 starts without proving he is capable..i would hope not but not handing them over to DA says a whole lot more..;)

Whichever one wins will do so because they fit the system better more than anything else and mangini does not strike me as a coach that wants to send 4 WRs in a mindless straight line downfield from the shotgun formation which is exactly what DA needs to be a potentially awesome qb of course he stares his target down from the plays very conception and scans the field slow if at all and cant readjust his read on the defense if he takes his eyes off his target once his mind is set he just lets er rip regardless of how many defenders are moving in....hehehehehe

I am for whichever fits mangini's system best and i think most of us already know the answer unless mankok becoming enthralled with DAs arm strenth and decides to build the team around him..;)

Shipping bq without letting the fans see for themselves if he is or isnt a winner isnt in the cards lerner would never approve that if bq sucks after a year thats a different story but DA fags shouldnt hold their breath...:)

That has nothing to do with it. The day the fans start dictating who plays.....we're done

Best example of that was in Dallas when all their fans wanted Steve Walsh over Aikman. JJ was strong enough to commit to his DRAFT sense. He honored the decision and the commitment.

Our brass was too petrified so they opted for Charlie Frye as the starter instead of what kid looked BEST during the only LIVE pass rush and tackling auditions before September. DA and Frye combined to throw 1 TD pass in 4 preseason games inspite of sharing the majority of training camp reps. Anyone without a preconceived crush could see what QB looked best. Before Lummy tells us for the trillionth time Quinn's best performance came at the expense of the Lions, DA's record/Ws that he likes to hang his arguement on came at the expense of 9 teams averaging 5 wins (the exceptions was Seattle w/9). He was 0-3 vrs AFC teams with more than 8 wins (our only AFC playoff opponents).

Last year's schedule got real as early as week 1 and the lame excuses for piss poor QBing just kept on coming. That doesn't earn one the RIGHT to compete for a starting job in any place but Cleveland or Detroit unfortunately. Thank God there's plenty of film and 31 no thank you's anchoring the subconcious of our new brain trust.

The one thing we haven't really talked about in our QB Tug of War is the fact that Mangini and Kokinos might not like what they see in either QB. That being the case, would you be at all surprised if we drafted Sanchez and released the 1 QB that 31 other teams would offer decent exchange value for? Can you imagine the spin-induced entertainment value Loverboy would slap on that? Basically, we'd give the Dumb QB 4-5 more Gong Shows before dedciding if the waters are safe for the rookie investment. If you saw how many jobs were lost to "the QB Competition" - you MIGHT be a Redneck if you think that same QB Competition needs another swing and miss.

- Tom F. (I'm happy for the State of Oregon that they were able to replace the face of Tonyas Harding with DA. Congratulations for edging out the Dakotas as a sports town!)

Curb stomped in training camp? You mean when there was no competition last season and DA was announced the starter before camp opened?

Or do you mean in 2007 when Brady was putting up TDs in his few preseason games, while DA couldn't beat out Frye?

You mean Mayberry gave Drive Assassin a Dr. Evil-sized contract, and we didn't hold an open competition for QB? What team does that?

Here's my concern on the idea of a "fair and square" camp battle:

I went to training camp for a day last year. Not a lot of folks there and it was me with my kids and some more family. Had a GREAT day. I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't gone. A real thrill being that close to the players.

On the QB's that day: Anderson looks like a rock star. He's big. He throws the most effortless, beautiful, borring passes you'll ever see. There was a noticable difference between his ball and Quinn's. There was a similar noticable difference between Quinn and Dorsey. It was just clear that DA has an unreal arm and he looked great that day.

My concern is that practice ain't games. DA's poor decision making, nervous "tic" on short passes, and lack of athleticism don't show up in training camp. They show up in games.

So, if the staff doesn't take film into account in their evaluation, they're silly. That's part of the big reason why I think they either hope they've got a QB in Quinn or..... they don't have a QB at all.

and brady got a chance to show his stuff after DA got KO'd? he was so impressive he got to ride more pine.

and still, after his most impressive outings....he still rode the pine.

if DA sucks so bad.....i have no confidence in quinn.

and brady got a chance to show his stuff after DA got KO'd? he was so impressive he got to ride more pine.

and still, after his most impressive outings....he still rode the pine.

Actually, his first start was impressive.

But it's completely unfair to judge anything he did last year. He was taking snaps for a team that was done and playing like it.

Plus, he was injured and he had to have surgery on the finger.

I think people who want to judge him so quickly are simply showing a bias. Everyone with any common sense will say he needs an honest chance at playing from day 1 to see what he can do.

If he wins the job and starts from day 1 in 2009, then an honest appraisal can be made. Until then, I think it's unfair to really judge anything he's done and it's not an accurate guide to his abilities.

shep are you turning over a new leaf?

because you sure as hell weren't saying that last year.

Quinn got curb stomped in training camp and you still wanted to give it to him.

pull your head out of your ass, your queer friend DA layed back nursing his bruised brain.

pull your head out of your ass, your queer friend DA layed back nursing his bruised brain.

No kidding, at least quinn actually USED his finger.

I am embracing the competition.

Battle Royale for the right to lead the Browns into the future...

Arm vs. Charm

West Coast Aloof vs. Local Leader

Boat Shoes vs. Crotch Grabber

Lumberg vs. Shep

Manwaggoners vs. Quinn Fags

Choose a side and let them start slingin' and swingin'

Zombo

Sounds like some kind of a monster movie or WWF cage match!

Well baring a trade I hope both light it up make the coaches job hell in picking a winner and not just their nose. and it ends up getting us a good trade next year. I don't care who throws the ball to whoever that will be their to catch it. I just want the best one back their, my hunch is it will be Quinn but if DA actually beats out Quinn so be it.

After next year or after camp the other needs to go. when ever we can get a fair return out of the loser!

Skip Bayless said yesterday on ESPN that he would trade Brady Quinn because Derek Anderson can lead this team, and he pointed out when the Brown's were semi-healthy and working as a unit, Anderson lit up the New York Giants despite all the penalities.

He also pointed out Quinn did no better then Anderson.

Similar completion percentage.

Quinn was 1-2 and Anderson was 3-6

Quinn was 2TD 2INT, Anderson was 9TD 8INT

He pointed out the team was injured, Braylon was injured and dropping balls like crazy, and with a healthy team, he believes DA is their man.

He also said we should go after Orakpo.

Skip Bayless said yesterday on ESPN that he would trade Brady Quinn because Derek Anderson can lead this team, and he pointed out when the Brown's were semi-healthy and working as a unit, Anderson lit up the New York Giants despite all the penalities.

He also pointed out Quinn did no better then Anderson.

Similar completion percentage.

Quinn was 1-2 and Anderson was 3-6

Quinn was 2TD 2INT, Anderson was 9TD 8INT

He pointed out the team was injured, Braylon was injured and dropping balls like crazy, and with a healthy team, he believes DA is their man.

He also said we should go after Orakpo.

Its hard to take a man named Skip seriously. :blink:

Just get us draft picks!! Anybody in the draft with a nickname of " Touchdown ?????" this year?

Guest Masters
I'm just reporting what I heard. I mean, I'm not a professional sports analyst, Skip Bayless is, so take it up with him via email.

Let's be honest, Skip not a professional sports analyst. He doesn't watch film or break down teams. He's a former sports writter who now gets paid for his opinions because he is a personality that people either like or hate. I'll guarantee that the NYG game was one of maybe 4 games he watched the Browns play last year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy skip, but he changes his opinion on a lot of things and gets it wrong a lot. We are talking about the same guy who has refered to Lebron as "Prince James" and for the last couple of years has hated on him for what he can't/didnt' do yet. But now finally loves on Bron'.

So, if:

The company line of "QB competition" = trade of DA for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick

then, is it time to reinstate Mangenious, because if it happens, he played somebody like a fiddle.

My thoughts exactly. If they like DA we're in for another LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG year that starts and ends in September.

Let's be honest, Skip not a professional sports analyst. He doesn't watch film or break down teams. He's a former sports writter who now gets paid for his opinions because he is a personality that people either like or hate. I'll guarantee that the NYG game was one of maybe 4 games he watched the Browns play last year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy skip, but he changes his opinion on a lot of things and gets it wrong a lot. We are talking about the same guy who has refered to Lebron as "Prince James" and for the last couple of years has hated on him for what he can't/didnt' do yet. But now finally loves on Bron'.

I just looked up "Skip Bayless" and found this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless I looked up "Masters" and found a lot of golf information. Obviously you are qualified to comment on his qualifications.

I just looked up "Skip Bayless" and found this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless I looked up "Masters" and found a lot of golf information. Obviously you are qualified to comment on his qualifications.

Yep...Skip Bayless is a journalist.

Some other notable journalists....Jayson Blair, Stephen Glass, Janet Cooke.

I'm not saying that Bayless is falsifying anything like they did, but the fact is that he's just a frickin' guy that writes and talks about sports.....and a lot of what he says is delivered for shock value. He's cast on that show as the contrarian (which he plays very well,) and he's there to spark debate and bring ratings and website hits/viewer interactivity.....not because he has some sort of grand insight on sports.

Anyone who has observed his table-pounding antics for more than five minutes can understand that.

Archived