THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson Vs. Quinn

Zombo

Who will win out?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Open Competition for starting Quarterback?

• Derek Anderson
    • Brady Quinn

I just looked up "Skip Bayless" and found this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless I looked up "Masters" and found a lot of golf information. Obviously you are qualified to comment on his qualifications.

And I just looked up Drunkandstoopid and found this:

drunk.jpg

(Rather difficult to actually watch a football game from that position, it would seem. Perhaps you were just a little confused while trying to substantiate the Osi Umenyiora rumors.)

and this:

puke.jpg

(Probably not getting the best view of what's going on, considering your eyes are closed and you had obviously consumed a bit too much LumJuice on this particular day.)

and this:

Puke.jpg

(Once again; not likely that anyone is considering you for the latest opening on the scouting staff.)

Absolutely STELLAR qualifications.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did Peter King say? I haven't been keeping up on my online reading, I usually dont until after the draft. Just catch a little bit of ESPN here and there.

Post a blurb please.

Thanks.

LOL! That was just a joke I was hoping Masters would catch. He wrote something once and a guy was all over him about what Peter Kings says during King's VERY limited observations of the Browns.

Let's get real about Skip Bayless for half a second - he caught 1 Browns game in 2008. You couldn't find another DA start that looked remotely close. It would be like someone catching Stanford beating USC in 2007 and making it the rule instead of the exception. That's what Bayless did here. The ONE stat you left out was how many DA fumbles and INTs went for TDs? In doing so, you'd find carelessness obliterates/nullifies the TD passes. The REAL reason Bayless likes DA is because DA played his college ball in the Pac 10 and Skip is the biggest Pac 10 fan on the planet. He'd even rationalize DA's 4 INT performance at Cincy in December of 07 if you let him.

If DA had SERIOUS game, what's up with 31 "no thank yous"? I think the GMs catch a little more film than Mr Bayless. If EVERY week looked like the Giant game, what coherent person would CARE what we were doing with Quinn? You're obviously new to this board because it's an old arguement. People LOVED Brian Sipe for his ability to LEARN from experience and get better in the process. DA isn't showing MOST fans he's learning from experience and in the process he's regressed steadily from Septemeber and October of 2007 (when we faced 2 winless teams and a lost to a Cincy team). Later that season, the SAME Cincy D made DA look like the second coming of Todd Philcox while the Skip Baylesses of the world blamed noone but Jim Sorgi. Different strokes for different folks.

- Tom F.

I said Anderson for 2 reasons.

First, the fact he is opening it up means he isn't totally sold on Quinn.

Second, i think there is a good chance Quinn will be shipped.

I couldn't agree more. I would lean towards neither one before I would say Quinn will be the starter. I think Quinn will be dealt to Denver, Detroit, or the Jets. Anderson or the new QB in Cleveland will start the season. Mangini has definately shown that he wants to bring in new talent and gain picks in the draft. I wouldn't be suprised to see Edwards shipped out as well. But who really knows anymore.

Rutigliano: It’s time to start Quinn

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted Mar 26, 2009 @ 08:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNIONTOWN — One time while analyzing the Browns on TV, Sam Rutigliano relayed the following message to a fellow he identified only as “one of the more outspoken players on the team.”

“There is no I in T-E-A-M. There are two I’S in I-D-I-O-T.”

Rutigliano sent a more direct message to Head Coach Eric Mangini on Thursday: Brady Quinn has been jacked around enough. Prepare him to be the starting quarterback for the 2009 Browns. Start now.

Rutigliano was head coach of the Browns the last time they had an NFL MVP, quarterback Brian Sipe, in 1980. He stays plugged into the NFL and follows the Browns intently.

He said the team made “a gigantic mistake” in waiting until Game 9 of Quinn’s second season to give him more than a few plays.

“They never gave him a chance,” Rutigliano said during a speech at the Northeastern Ohio Celebrity Luncheon Club. “They went 24 straight games in which he was on the field for a total of eight plays.

“I think he’s got that ‘it,’” Rutigliano added. “The most important Catholic in the world is the Pope. The second most important is the quarterback at Notre Dame.

“He handled that pressure.”

QUINN HAS TRACK RECORD

Rutigliano said Quinn’s final two college years showed he was worth trading first- and second-round draft picks to move into the No. 22 spot in the ‘07 draft.

“Even when he came in late (after a holdout), he did a good job,” Rutigliano said. “But they didn’t use him. They didn’t find out about him. Why?”

Derek Anderson replaced Charlie Frye during the ‘07 season opener against Pittsburgh and then lit up the Bengals in Game 2. That was the first of 23 straight Anderson starts. But ...

“Look at D.A.’s last eight games of 2007 and his first eight games of 2008,” Rutigliano said. “Based on that, he is an average quarterback.”

For what it’s worth, Anderson’s passer rating surpassed 85 once and was below 76 six times in his last nine games in 2007. His 2008 passer rating was 66.5.

“It’s worth a lot,” Rutigliano said. “It tells you about completion accuracy and interceptions.”

Why didn’t Quinn play more, and sooner?

“Was Romeo Crennel making the decisions? Was Rob Chudzinski? Was Rip Scherer? No,” Rutigliano said, indicating ex-GM Phil Savage. “But why do you trade a one and a two and then not play him?”

Rutigliano suspects trade posturing in Mangini’s recent pronouncement that Quinn and Anderson will compete for the starting job.

“If (Mangini) says Quinn is his man, other teams are gonna want Quinn,” Rutigliano said. “If he says Anderson, they’ll want Anderson.”

Rutigliano said a Quinn versus Anderson preseason battle would be destructive. He is convinced Quinn will be a better quarterback than Anderson.

Another Rutigliano thought:

“If Quinn is not the starting quarterback, it’s gonna be a problem for him, because he’s gonna want out.”

Guest Masters
I just looked up "Skip Bayless" and found this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless I looked up "Masters" and found a lot of golf information. Obviously you are qualified to comment on his qualifications.

Huh? Didn't say Skip wasn't qualified as a sports journalist. But that is not what he does anymore. He's now a just a guy who gives his opinion on 10 topics every day. There is nothing different about Skip than the guys on PTI or Around the Horn. Except Skip elicites a greater reaction of love or hate.

Once again, you live up to your screen name.

Guest Masters
LOL! That was just a joke I was hoping Masters would catch. He wrote something once and a guy was all over him about what Peter Kings says during King's VERY limited observations of the Browns.

Let's get real about Skip Bayless for half a second - he caught 1 Browns game in 2008. You couldn't find another DA start that looked remotely close. It would be like someone catching Stanford beating USC in 2007 and making it the rule instead of the exception. That's what Bayless did here. The ONE stat you left out was how many DA fumbles and INTs went for TDs? In doing so, you'd find carelessness obliterates/nullifies the TD passes. The REAL reason Bayless likes DA is because DA played his college ball in the Pac 10 and Skip is the biggest Pac 10 fan on the planet. He'd even rationalize DA's 4 INT performance at Cincy in December of 07 if you let him.

If DA had SERIOUS game, what's up with 31 "no thank yous"? I think the GMs catch a little more film than Mr Bayless. If EVERY week looked like the Giant game, what coherent person would CARE what we were doing with Quinn? You're obviously new to this board because it's an old arguement. People LOVED Brian Sipe for his ability to LEARN from experience and get better in the process. DA isn't showing MOST fans he's learning from experience and in the process he's regressed steadily from Septemeber and October of 2007 (when we faced 2 winless teams and a lost to a Cincy team). Later that season, the SAME Cincy D made DA look like the second coming of Todd Philcox while the Skip Baylesses of the world blamed noone but Jim Sorgi. Different strokes for different folks.

- Tom F.

I caught your Peter King reference and got a good chuckle out of it.

Huh? Didn't say Skip wasn't qualified as a sports journalist. But that is not what he does anymore. He's now a just a guy who gives his opinion on 10 topics every day. There is nothing different about Skip than the guys on PTI or Around the Horn. Except Skip elicites a greater reaction of love or hate.

Once again, you live up to your screen name.

Not for nothing, but which one of DA's old college fraternity brothers hasn't signed up for our message board yet? We're only missing a couple of them on the vote.

If the reason you got accepted into college is because you got your name right on the SATs, you might be a Beaver.

- Tom F.

Archived