THE BROWNS BOARD

Which receivers make this team?

WalterWhite

Good thoughts guys. Bottom line is that Farmer & Pettine are REALLY going to be working overtime on many of these decisions, but it beats the easy cut decisions that had to be made in past years.

We'll see.

Mike

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heck...it's interesting now......and very hard to figure what their strategy is gonna be.......keep the "best"....keep a few of each type....dunno.....

But.....thinking for the long haul and as close as some of these guys seem in talent/production.....Id say the BEST strategy would be to keep as many as possible.....even if it means PS.....

And the guys we can put on PS are Wynn, Mayle, Jennings and Lenz......everyone else either makes the team or gets waived.....period.

IF we keep the youngsters, then we lose the vets.....(Pryor, Hawk, Gabe, Benji, etc).....

So, it makes sense to me to keep the vets and see how they do.... and if not too good, then we can activate someone from PS.....

But the other way around?.....(keep the kids)....then where do we go if or when they fail?.....

A couple things entered my mind as I read an interesting debate about Hawk being a lock vrs why is he a lock?:

1) Tour brought up some excellent points even though Z reminded that Hawk is a Pettine fave (for good reasons imo).

2) How many times last year with his lack of size in the slot got Hoyer to refrain from throwing a quick slant because of the wing spans/hands in the air from pass rushers ranging from 6-2 to 6-6? Think about it, if the guy is short you can't throw those high and it isn't like we have Randy Moss clearing out underneath for Wes Welker here. If there becomes a reason to insert Manziel - does this get complicated even more?

Cincy decided to upgrade Hawk's lack of height and lack of TDs with taller targets; and nobody made them sorry for doing so. They like their skyline package that Dalton can throw kites to especially in the red zone. In addition, they also drafted a RB like Gio Bernard sort of like us drafting Duke Johnson to attack certain parts of the defense like the flats and grey areas between the flats and hook zones. However, these are areas the QB's passes can clear the pass rushers much easier for shorter/compact targets. Hawk is still a good player to put out there and even consider moving around in certain situations. However, he's not always the best target for our QBs especially if Flip wants to throw a lot of short slant passes this year.

Hawk brings certain things to the offense with his quicks and professionalism, but throwing the ball up to him is not an option as we saw McCown throw a pick the other night that a vet receiver with size could have went up and got. That part of the game is not in Hawk's repertoire, however, he does bring other things to the table.

Cincy didn't want to get rid of Hawk, they simply couldn't afford to match our offer. I expect Hawk to get isolated quite a bit this year and have a 70 catch season as long as he stays healthy.

Here are some receiver stats and numbers.....so far......

First......there are 2 receivers who haven't played......Pryor and Bowe......so they both score a zero so far....

Gabe(2), Hartline(5) and Bibbs(5) all have a perfect 100% catch rate.....12 targets for 12 catches.....

Benjiman and Wynn have the only TD catches(2).....

Hawkins has the fewest reps(24)....fewest targets(2) and fewest catches(1)...dont know what that means, but there it is...

Mayle is the only player credited with even having a dropped pass.....except he has 3....:(

He is also the only receiver credited with any penalties.....and he has 2....

Mayle, Jennings and Lenz have the most reps(snaps)....by far.....telling me these 3 are competing for a spot?

Maybe Hawk has the fewest because he's already in?......

Highest PFF rating goes to Jennings(+1.2) and lowest goes to Mayle(-5.8)....

Highest YPC goes to Jennings at 17.....lowest goes to Hawk at -1.....haha...in fairness, he has only one catch....next lowest are Benji and Lenz tied at 5.5 ypc....

Highest YAC goes to Gabe at +7.5 and the lowest YAC goes to Benji at -1.3.....

A couple things entered my mind as I read an interesting debate about Hawk being a lock vrs why is he a lock?:

1) Tour brought up some excellent points even though Z reminded that Hawk is a Pettine fave (for good reasons imo).

2) How many times last year with his lack of size in the slot got Hoyer to refrain from throwing a quick slant because of the wing spans/hands in the air from pass rushers ranging from 6-2 to 6-6? Think about it, if the guy is short you can't throw those high and it isn't like we have Randy Moss clearing out underneath for Wes Welker here. If there becomes a reason to insert Manziel - does this get complicated even more?

Never was a fan of the Bowe signing, but that's water under or over something or other...

On Hawk... just a feeling. His lack of production so far may be due to the staff not having to see him, but 1 catch for -1 yards (plus I think a lateral for a small gain.... but it's not in the stats) is not exactly comforting.

Good point on JM... the shorter in stature the QB, the higher you'd expect quick slant throws to have to be. We saw an example in the Bills' game on the slant to the statuesque, 5'10 Benji.

heck...it's interesting now......and very hard to figure what their strategy is gonna be.......keep the "best"....keep a few of each type....dunno.....

Certainly the stated approach for the team as a whole is to keep the best talent, but there are positon minimums. I'm not aware of any minimums within a given position.

Height in some of your WRs is nice, but if some on your roster do not use their height to good effect...

Gonna guess Benji's punt return closed the door on what chance Shane had...

Early cut gives Shane opportunity to catch on somewhere else, but if he doesn't, then he might end up back on our PS.

Probably right, Mike, but he's the kind of player that flashed enough to get noticed in an early cut.

He might get signed for a closer look the last week of Pre-season by a team in need of a punt returner and/or with an injury situation at WR.

I would not be surprised to see someone take him soon just to see if what he did on the field is an everyday thing or not.

I agree Tour. I thought at the time that runback last Sat.might just seal Wynn's fate. But his prior one might have already gained the attention of another team. We'll see shortly.

I still think Pryor makes the 53. He's already been informed that he's got at least 2 other teams that want him on their roster.

Last year, Charles Johnson not only made MInnesota's roster.. he became their #1. That's a trend which doesn't need to continue. Lenz and Mayle both to PS, they won't get picked up by anyone else.

Gonna guess Benji's punt return closed the door on what chance Shane had...

Early cut gives Shane opportunity to catch on somewhere else, but if he doesn't, then he might end up back on our PS.

Hate to be Captain Obvious- but Benjamin's play against Tampa made him a roster lock. Wasn't just the run back either- had a couple nice catches. Pryor's roster spot depends if he plays Thursday.

Hate to be Captain Obvious- but Benjamin's play against Tampa made him a roster lock. Wasn't just the run back either- had a couple nice catches. Pryor's roster spot depends if he plays Thursday.

Everything I've heard makes me think Pryor was a lock/project from Day 1. We'll see, but I think he'll be limited if he plays at all Thursday and still makes the team.

Everything I've heard makes me think Pryor was a lock/project from Day 1. We'll see, but I think he'll be limited if he plays at all Thursday and still makes the team.

Pettine said in his presser that Pryor making the team didn't necessarily depend on Thursday night. It depends a lot more on making a projection of what he can be, not what he is now or Thursday. His ability to be an emergency QB doesn't hurt, either.

Here's my 6 this week:

Hartline: leaving us no choice but feeling like he is needed

Bowe: FA commitment with a bad hammy

Pryor: Early buzz of training camp sentenced to a bad hammy

Hawk: Great job last year and continues to sport a bust tail work ethic

Gabriel: Same goodies as Hawk with 17.3 yards per catch from the undrafted rookie who caught seemingly everything

Benjamin: Exactly why you invest time training a guy who responds to coaching. Elite speed, reliable hands, and a STs threat.

What if somebody isn't who we thought he'd be? The 30 year old Bowe (already dealing with a hammy issue) is coming off only 60 rec for 754 yards and 0 TDs on a 9-7 football team. The year before that he only had 57 rec for 673 yards and just 5 TDs in 15 games. Are we looking at the same Dwayne Bowe we used to want on our fantasy football rosters? If yes, that's good. If not - somebody with best football ahead is getting cut, IR'd or stashed on the PS as temporary as Charles Johnson was.

Overall, this sudden WR depth is a good problem to have if we don't end up getting burned keeping someone that can't stay healthy in lieu of someone that has been stepping for those that aren't healthy right now.

Bowe never showed us anything but rear view mirror this preseason. It would shock me if we cut a WR with promising upside to keep him.

My only issue is.. we should have signed him to our PS. But I want to see the makeup of our PS to see if he's better than anyone we currently have. Otherwise, it's a numbers move -- and no worries.

Or, if NO put in a waiver claim for him in front of us... also no worries, nothing Farmer could do about that. NO is short on WR, not unexpected.

Archived