THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Haden Washed Up?

Tim Couch Pulls Out

This team doesn't look good and the defense doesn't look good. But, you know, I'll bet if you could get rid of that Joe Haden guy, then things would definitely get better quickly. Yeah, I think that's where I would start....

and better yet lets ship him off to the siberia of another AFC North team so his washed up butt can downgrade their defenses.He's ranked 100 and something. Maybe get a few 4th and 5th round picks for hin. Money ball baby !

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team doesn't look good and the defense doesn't look good. But, you know, I'll bet if you could get rid of that Joe Haden guy, then things would definitely get better quickly. Yeah, I think that's where I would start....

With the way Haden has been playing, you could slap Desir out there and get the same results but for $10.5 million less.

For those critics of Haden, who do you compare him to? I can't think of one CB who plays as much press-man against the opposing #1 (probably the most physically demanding job in the NFL), sans Revis who is an all-time great talent.

In our man coverage scheme, it is ESSENTIAL to get pressure on the QB... Haden makes the mistake of allowing the deep route bc he's expecting QB pressure. This works when you force a QB into throwing too soon, but it doesnt work when the QB has all day...

CB is one of the most thankless jobs in the game. When you're invisible (not letting guys get open) nobody notices. and when you're seen (giving up catches) you're the skapegoat...

For those critics of Haden, who do you compare him to? I can't think of one CB who plays as much press-man against the opposing #1 (probably the most physically demanding job in the NFL), sans Revis who is an all-time great talent.

In our man coverage scheme, it is ESSENTIAL to get pressure on the QB... Haden makes the mistake of allowing the deep route bc he's expecting QB pressure. This works when you force a QB into throwing too soon, but it doesnt work when the QB has all day...

CB is one of the most thankless jobs in the game. When you're invisible (not letting guys get open) nobody notices. and when you're seen (giving up catches) you're the skapegoat...

Amen on pressure being essential to a jamming CB.

Well, sure, if you are going to just insist that I compare him to some actual, like, you know, flesh-and-blood-real-boy kind of cornerback, that plays real football and stuff, then it makes the whole assessment a little less cut and dried.

But when you compare him to the ideal, made-up, fantasy cornerback in my head, well, let me tell you, dude, he comes up pretty freakin' short! Or, if you like, we can compare him to the other pretend guy that I'm envisioning right now who isn't so great, and who has never done much in the league at corner, but will come here right now for, like, 1/100th of the money that Haden gets and do absolutely no worse than Haden.

I haven't even told you about the one that I came up with where the guy has webbed hands and feet and vestigial wings...

Not sure what you're trying to say...

He's saying that you need to evaluate every play, not just the 3 during which he didn't execute something perfectly.

He's saying that few humans not named Josh Norman can actually meet the expectations you have assigned to Haden.

He's reminding you that your analysis of "washed up" doesn't mean that the DB coaching staff agrees with you.

He's saying that you need to evaluate every play, not just the 3 during which he didn't execute something perfectly.

He's saying that few humans not named Josh Norman can actually meet the expectations you have assigned to Haden.

He's reminding you that your analysis of "washed up" doesn't mean that the DB coaching staff agrees with you.

I am very happy that there was a Josh Norman reference here.

Also, it was my analysis of washed up - which, in my sense of the phrase, means past your prime. And, through these last three games, Haden seems to be.

Doesn't mean he's not effective, it just means that his play at this current moment does not warrant his salary. If it's an injury, don't play. If it's a slow start, pick it up. Regardless of the excuse, he's not playing like a $13 million CB right now.

I'm in the minority here but I never put a ton of stock in Haden. I think he has been very solid throughout his career. The issues the last few years is he has started slow and the rule changes have made it next to impossible to be that "lockdown corner". Joe has always played physical but he gives up space rather easily but in his defense he typically defends the best WR on a defense that puts little to no pressure on the QB.

• 8 months later...

Haden was trash again last season.

The hype and laziness, along with Joe's public love for Cleveland, made him a superstar that he never was.

Not mentioned here, either http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000671496/article/patrick-peterson-darrelle-revis-or-richard-sherman-nfls-top-corner?campaign=tw-nf-sf29756586-sf29756586

He was one of the best DBs out there. He may not be now, but he was. And he was hurt. We shall see how does this year.

You are being a bit trashy for trashing Joe here in the offseason. Wait until about December 1, then come back with your reevaluation.

The hype and laziness, along with Joe's public love for Cleveland, made him a superstar that he never was.

Not mentioned here, either http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000671496/article/patrick-peterson-darrelle-revis-or-richard-sherman-nfls-top-corner?campaign=tw-nf-sf29756586-sf29756586

Haden gets a lot of credit around here and is mentioned a bit in the media because he was the biggest deal on the worst team. For me you can evaluate a veteran player by envisioning another NFL team paying him his current salary if he were a free agent. No team in the NFL would sign Joe Haden today to his previous deal.

Haden could very well be washed up, but we have to hope that he's got a few years left in the tank. DB's can have successful late careers, but of course, that generally depends on their HEALTH. We've all seen how Haden's health has deteriorated in the past several years, so I think it's safe to say that the odds are against him. But I'll say this about the guy...he's a hard worker and he loves this city. Although the odds might be against him, I still wouldn't bet on him to fail.

Our defense is short on stars, and we NEED him to come back at a high level. We obviously can't depend on Justin Gilbert, although I have to admit I'm starting to regain some optimism with him.

he typically defends the best WR on a defense that puts little to no pressure on the QB.

I agree you can't really grade any of the db's well when the D allows 5-7 seconds per play for QB's to sit there and pick apart the D backfield. We rarely pressure anyone.

Thread resurrected in the spirit of "I'll be right eventually"???

Well. Yes. Eventually Haden...and every player will become unable, ill suited to do their job. Right now, with Haden, I think it is a wait and see. He has had injuries that have hampered his effectiveness. If he comes back healthy and it appears that he has lost a step or so, then we can judge. Sometimes good CBs who have lost a step can stilll get the job done through guile, intellect. Some don't. We shall have to see about him. How old is he, and how long has he been in the league. Ordinarily I would say that neither figure should bring an expectation of "losing it." But it can and does happen.....but I, again, think we must wait and see.

Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

and that is very cool an idea - Joe is physical enough... nice job.

Very good point! I'm hoping we don't need to do this yet because I love how instinctive he is at playing corner. IMO, the 2015 season was a product of nagging injuries snowballing on him coupled with the reality RBs were turning our corners without contain with full heads of steam on our secondary that was coincidentally ravaged by concussions in 2015.

Aside from his talent in coverage, Joe has ALWAYS been a great tackler in space with a willingness to come off his man to tackle a big TE breaking free or another WR crossing thirds. There's always going to be a forgettable day for a great corner just ask Patrick Peterson about the day he had covering Julio Jones a year or 2 ago. OR, how about when Antoine Winfield had to cover Plex Burress the day Ohio State fell asleep at the wheel on a big lead vrs Michigan State and kissed their National Championship hopes good night. I'm bringing this up because I know someone that finally wants to be right about Haden can't wait to remind us about opening day vrs Brandon Marshall in 2015. Marshall did that almost every week to corners with his size and wing span advantage as well as made himself one of the toughest WRs in this league to tackle after the catch. The film doesn't lie.

My only worry with Haden is once you start getting dome injuries - they tend to increase in frequency. Anyone remember what happened to Evan Moore after he got a huge salary increase before training camp? He got so many concussions he turned into a porcelain doll and rarely played the year of the big contract. One guy used to call him Evan Moorcelain. If anyone understands this game, they don't question Joe Haden at all.

Okay Mary Kay but we're not on "The View" sipping tea with Whoopi's Goldbergs...

Mike Hiccup has megapoutsies

A.J. Green stymied by 'great' Joe Haden - Cincinnati Bengals Blog ...
espn.go.com/blog/.../bengals-browns-nfl-aj-green-joe-haden-stymied

Nov 17, 2013 - CINCINNATI -- This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe

"This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe Haden tilt went in favor of the Cleveland Browns cornerback."

"But at the end of Sunday's game, Haden's efforts -- fueled by two first-quarter interceptions -- weren't enough."

'Green, gaining just 7 yards on two receptions, had one of the worst performances of his career. It was enough for the player who entered the day leading the NFL in receiving yards to recognize the cornerback's work and to give a respectful nod.

"It's a tough road every time I go against him," Green said. "He's probably one of the best corners anywhere, but that also goes to their defense. The Browns have a real good defense and they scheme well. But he's also a great corner."'

so Mike H thinks he has never been a great cb...

AJ Green knows better, obviously, and KNOWS what he's

TALKING ABOUT.

Your Honor, I move that Mike H.'s dumb case be dismissed.

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20150606/NEWS/150609587

Whatever the case, Haden called last month and Green quickly said, “I’ll be there” when Haden invited him to play in the second annual Joe Haden and Friends Celebrity Softball Game.

“It’s always good to support my boy Joe and help him with his cause, and get out here and have fun with some of the best players in the world,” Green said before the game began as he and the other players from around the NFL milled around in right field chatting with fans. “I’ve gone against Joe since my freshman year in college (at Georgia). It’s always been a tough match.

“He’s one of the best I’ve ever gone against. It’s always fun to go against him because I always have to work.”

Haden was a rookie first-round draft pick in 2010. Green was a rookie first-round pick in 2011 — the same year the Bengals drafted quarterback Andy Dalton in the second round.

The Bengals have made the playoffs all four years Green and Dalton have been in Cincinnati, although they have never advanced past the first round. Their success, though, has not been at the expense of Haden.

Green got the best of Haden in 2011, but for the last three years it has been advantage Haden every time. And when they meet five months from now in Paul Brown Stadium, Haden will do his best to extend the streak. He is grateful Green played in the softball game, but all “thank yous” were fulfilled Saturday night.

“That’s so cool I was able to hit him up and he just came with no questions asked,” Haden said. “It just shows that it’s still a fraternity at the end of the day once you get off the field.

“When I get back on the field, I’m going to try to lock him up and he’s going to try to maul me. That’s our job. I’m not going to go easy on him for this. I know he’s not going to go easy on me.”

Mike Hicuppsies

Mike Hiccupsies wants to talk trashies again? B)

Archived