THE BROWNS BOARD

Another wrinkle in the cannabis legalization debate

jbluhm86

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meth and heroin have very real, very dangerous side effects.

What reason do you have to ban weed but not alcohol or cigarettes? If you only have "well you have to ban something" as an argument, you have no argument.

I said a line has to be drawn somewhere and society draws the lines. The lines change sometimes. What was once illegal becomes legal and vice versa. I just looked at a poll on this and it shows the public split down the middle on this issue. You say I have no argument but I have a vote. If enough people like me vote against this it will fail and if more people vote for it then it will pass and the people will decide.

The deal breaker for me is that this bill is for recreational and medical use of marijuana and I only would support a bill for medical use only.

You...do know tons of people smoke pot openly right now right? The people who are going to smoke pot are already doing it and fully driving around high right now. All that what you're for means is that we're missing out on the tax dollars for it.

I said a line has to be drawn somewhere and society draws the lines. The lines change sometimes. What was once illegal becomes legal and vice versa. I just looked at a poll on this and it shows the public split down the middle on this issue. You say I have no argument but I have a vote. If enough people like me vote against this it will fail and if more people vote for it then it will pass and the people will decide.

But again, you still aren't giving any reason for why you think it should be illegal. You're just blindly following what has always been and not questioning or analyzing it...

... Wait, wait. Yeah, nevermind. That makes sense

I was hanging around pot heads in the 70's. I didn't care for what I saw with children being raised by selfish pothead parents. I remember at work one time on Christmas eve and a guy I worked with spending most of his check buying weed at lunch break and then whining to me that afternoon he didn't have any money to buy his kids any Christmas presents. I know people will smoke pot legal or not but I'm not voting to legalize it except for medical purposes.

I was hanging around pot heads in the 70's. I didn't care for what I saw with children being raised by selfish pothead parents. I remember at work one time on Christmas eve and a guy I worked with spending most of his check buying weed at lunch break and then whining to me that afternoon he didn't have any money to buy his kids any Christmas presents. I know people will smoke pot legal or not but I'm not voting to legalize it except for medical purposes.

Swap weed with alcohol

people can grow themselves fairly easily, you know that right? And, at least in the summer, it doesn't cost hardly anything if you're growing it outside.

people can grow themselves fairly easily, you know that right? And, at least in the summer, it doesn't cost hardly anything if you're growing it outside.

I won't support the bill regardless but I thought the bill only authorized 10 marijuana farms across the state and I'm guessing if you are growing your own you are breaking the law?

That's a problem with the person, not the drug. It's not that addicting and that person clearly had very little love for his children compared to himself.

I look at it like this. Right now the cartel and other thugs are growing it and putting god knows what into it. The money goes into other illegal activities, etc. If the government controls it, that will put a lot of people out of business, not to mention the huge tax base it will give the state. Individuals will be permitted to grow a certain amount, but must obtain a license from the state to do so. The weed will be safer and cheaper no doubt. I don't see anything wrong with this.

I won't support the bill regardless but I thought the bill only authorized 10 marijuana farms across the state and I'm guessing if you are growing your own you are breaking the law?

Reason why it may not pass, the law is limiting who can grow\sell, and in turn profit on it(see friends of current administration).

"Marijuana is a chemically complex compound and we have no idea how it effects the brain."

- Carly Fiorina

Honestly I don't like marijuana, I like booze - but alcohol is toxic, the most accessible "gateway drug", cheap (if you're penny pinching or a Steelers fan you usually buy things like steel reserve), and kills ~2.5 million people every year worldwide.

Alcohol/Marijuana are interchangeable when it comes to "gateway drugs." Both should be legal under the same type of conditions.

That's a problem with the person, not the drug. It's not that addicting and that person clearly had very little love for his children compared to himself.

Same deal with booze and addiction.

I bet I might know one out of a thousand people who has never been drunk.

And a relatively small number of addicts or habitual drunkards.

WSS

I'm for weed legalization, but against crony capitalism, which is what the Issue 3 weed monopoly is going to be. Why should only 10 licensed sellers be allowed to produce and distribute? Anyone with land and capital should be allowed to do it. Look at it this way, as much as I dislike Kasich, when he changed the laws to relax brewery/distillery restrictions, the craft beer scene in Ohio got a hell of a lot better.

well........

I still say that if it's legalized, small profiteers will find property to grow it on...

that doesn't belong to them.

They won't have a felony hanging over their heads, and growing on other people's

property....farms, unbuilt-on lots... pastures... fence lines...

and, somebody can drink on a bus, but it doesn't give out smoke. Pot does, and

it violates other passengers' civil rights.

and one other thing - pot must not be legalized because it contributes to global warming

and air pollution. We have to all get on board to keep pot illegal......

Why do you think it would be legal to smoke weed on a public bus?

What scientific evidence do you have that says weed smoke will impact climate change?

What is stopping people from growing other product on people's property now?

1 I sincerely doubt that it will.

2 burning weed like burning leaves, trash or oil put pollutants in the atmosphere. Miniscule from a marijuana cigarette? Most definitely but still exists.

3 well for one thing you could grow hundreds of dollars worth of marijuana in a relatively small space that would yield only a few bucks worth of tomatoes or corn.

WSS

I just don't see it as a big deal. My best friend smoked weed too, never did it. Peer pressure isn't much.

I never had "get smashed" as a life goal haha.

To each his own though.

Being smashed imo is not very fun, but I've been drunk and had a blast. It enhances social situations similar to marijuana (for some) and some drinks just taste good. I'm not saying everyone should get hammered all the time but even my lamest of friends (and trust me I have some.. I'm also in engineering) have been drunk before.

Have you ever drank? Anything at all? This is more just a curiosity at this point.

Archived